PDA

View Full Version : If we Get Rid of Donahoe

bills&sabresmvf
10-25-2005, 01:03 PM
I support getting rid of Donahoe after this season, unless he commits himself to bringing in support for this team. If he goes, will the new GM want a new coach and a new staff? If that's the case, won't it be a rebuilding year once again? I'm so confused on what I want done with this team. What do you think? (this ijmo).

Michael82
10-25-2005, 01:09 PM
to go to the JP Losman transition and fix our aging defense, we are going to have to rebuild anyways. I have no problem with rebuilding as long as it is with a new GM and a solid head coach, instead of some crappy coordinator.

Mudflap1
10-25-2005, 01:18 PM
I'm not totally sure yet as to what the true direction should be, I think we need to see the rest of the season to know for sure.

Right now though...

1. Get rid of Donahoe
2. Bring in a new GM who is a proven winner (whether he was a GM before or player personnel ala Heckert).
3. Evaluate Mularkey. Right now he should get the hook.
4. Bring in a new coach, somebody who is not a "yes boy." Could either be a proven winner as a head coach, or a bright mind like Brad Childress.
5. Get rid of guys and/or make guys take pay cuts who are not producing and/or getting old. Moulds, Fletcher, Mike Williams, Teague, Campbell, Posey, Vincent, etc. should be on the short list. Some of these guys can still produce, they will have to be evaluated.
6. Rebuild the offensive line.
7. Bring in a solid defensive tackle and a true run-stopping defensive end (unless Kelsay, Denney, and Schobel step up).
8. Bring in a young QB (if possible!) either through the draft or free agency to compete with Losman. Don't give Losman the job uncontested again. Give him every chance to earn it, but MAKE him earn it. If the other guy beats him out fair and square and turns out to be a good quarterback, so be it. May the best man win. I'm not saying to bring in a Leinart, but maybe a guy like Schaub, or draft a young guy in the 3rd round or something. This point hinges on whether Losman comes back in this season with any substantialness and shows improvement or not.
9. Find another tight end. Hopefully Peters and Everett develop, but until then, we need somebody.
10. Rebuild the other positions through youth. Defensive backs, linebackers, offensive line, wide receivers, etc.
11. Try to re-sign Clements. If we can't, bring in a bunch of young guys.

Just some ideas...

Jon

Michael82
10-25-2005, 01:49 PM
I'm not totally sure yet as to what the true direction should be, I think we need to see the rest of the season to know for sure.

Right now though...

1. Get rid of Donahoe
2. Bring in a new GM who is a proven winner (whether he was a GM before or player personnel ala Heckert).
3. Evaluate Mularkey. Right now he should get the hook.
4. Bring in a new coach, somebody who is not a "yes boy." Could either be a proven winner as a head coach, or a bright mind like Brad Childress.
5. Get rid of guys and/or make guys take pay cuts who are not producing and/or getting old. Moulds, Fletcher, Mike Williams, Teague, Campbell, Posey, Vincent, etc. should be on the short list. Some of these guys can still produce, they will have to be evaluated.
6. Rebuild the offensive line.
7. Bring in a solid defensive tackle and a true run-stopping defensive end (unless Kelsay, Denney, and Schobel step up).
8. Bring in a young QB (if possible!) either through the draft or free agency to compete with Losman. Don't give Losman the job uncontested again. Give him every chance to earn it, but MAKE him earn it. If the other guy beats him out fair and square and turns out to be a good quarterback, so be it. May the best man win. I'm not saying to bring in a Leinart, but maybe a guy like Schaub, or draft a young guy in the 3rd round or something. This point hinges on whether Losman comes back in this season with any substantialness and shows improvement or not.
9. Find another tight end. Hopefully Peters and Everett develop, but until then, we need somebody.
10. Rebuild the other positions through youth. Defensive backs, linebackers, offensive line, wide receivers, etc.
11. Try to re-sign Clements. If we can't, bring in a bunch of young guys.

Just some ideas...

Jon
One thing that your "fantasy" seems to forget is the salary cap. The Bills are limited in what they can do and who they can cut. Ask clump, he'll tell you.

Mudflap1
10-25-2005, 01:55 PM
I understand that Mikey, I'm not am imbecile. Rome wasn't built in a day. However, there are a lot of teams out there that ARE making these adjustments, so there is a way to do it, we just need somebody who is qualified in doing so, and building a winner.

For instance, keeping Clements may not be something that is do-able. So you bring in young guys. Trade away some players where you can pick up cap room. Get rid of the dead wood.

It can be done.

Jon

The King
10-25-2005, 02:25 PM
If the Bills let Fletcher go, I will throw myself into highway traffic. He doesn't need to take a paycut, he needs to stay right in the middle. Some of you have no idea how crucial he is to our defense. With out him Spikes and Posey are toast.

G. Host
10-25-2005, 02:26 PM
One thing that your "fantasy" seems to forget is the salary cap. The Bills are limited in what they can do and who they can cut. Ask clump, he'll tell you.

Puppets never know what is going on.. They just do what the strings tell them to do. Sort of like upChuck DICKerson disciples,

justasportsfan
10-25-2005, 02:27 PM
If the Bills let Fletcher go, I will throw myself into highway traffic. He doesn't need to take a paycut, he needs to stay right in the middle. Some of you have no idea how crucial he is to our defense. With out him Spikes and Posey are toast.
He's underrated, underappreciated.

Mudflap1
10-25-2005, 02:28 PM
Isn't Fletcher's contract coming up soon? We can't overpay to keep him around either. I like the guy, and he's given us some good years, but if the team is being rebuilt, they are being rebuilt, and he will be a guy on the fence as to whether he returns or not. He's in his 30s already, isn't he?

Jon

The King
10-25-2005, 02:32 PM
Isn't Fletcher's contract coming up soon? We can't overpay to keep him around either. I like the guy, and he's given us some good years, but if the team is being rebuilt, they are being rebuilt, and he will be a guy on the fence as to whether he returns or not. He's in his 30s already, isn't he?

Jon

Yeah cause there are soo many good MLBer's in the NFL. He has shown no drop off in play, and because of his age a new contract would not break the bank. By losing Fletcher you turn Takeo into a tackler not a playmaker. There is no way he should be allowed to leave unless he has a legitimate replacement.

Mudflap1
10-25-2005, 02:34 PM
There is no way he should be allowed to leave unless he has a legitimate replacement.

I'll agree with that statement.

My point is that if a new front office is brought in, they may choose to just rebuild the team (yawn... again!). If that happens, then it's open season on a lot of veterans. I like London, I'd like to see him stick around, he's a good player, but that's the way it goes. Same thing with Moulds, good player, getting old, may not be in the rebuilding plans. Same with the other guys I listed (although some of the ones I listed do indeed suck, see: Williams, Mike).

Jon

Lexwhat
10-25-2005, 02:35 PM
I've seen a lot of people mention Scott Pioli. Well:

"The man who helped build the team who has won three of the last four NFL Super Bowl titles, the New England Patriots, has received a contract extension to continue in his job as VP of player personnel. Forty year old Scott Pioli who joined the team in 2000, the same year as head coach Bill Belichick, was given a ringing endorsement by Pats’ chairman Bob Kraft. Terms of the new deal were not disclosed. His old contract was due to expire at the end of the 2006 season.

Last season, the Scott Pioli Bill Belichick combination made NFL history by becoming the first duo of head coach and player personnel director to win three titles in four years. The previous season, Pioli became the youngest person ever to win the NFL Executive of the Year award, receiving the honor in both 2003 and 2004. He has been one of the most sought after executives in the league in the past couple off-seasons, but asserted that he was committed to the New England Patriots and wouldn’t consider another offer until his current one with his current team expired.

So much for considering other offers. For now, Scott Pioli will remain with the Patriots"

I'm sure I'm not the only one who knew this had already happened...?

Unless it's possible for Pioli to leave the VP spot and take over as GM and President even though hes under contract?

Mudflap1
10-25-2005, 02:36 PM
Not sure what the rules are -- I would imagine he might be able to leave if he got promoted to President and GM with another team, but would he want to? Don't know...

Heckert is logical. He is under Banner and Andy Reid in terms of personnel, but has a big hand in the process. He'd be a great guy to bring in for a promotion.

Jon

Lexwhat
10-25-2005, 03:01 PM
Not sure what the rules are -- I would imagine he might be able to leave if he got promoted to President and GM with another team, but would he want to? Don't know...

Heckert is logical. He is under Banner and Andy Reid in terms of personnel, but has a big hand in the process. He'd be a great guy to bring in for a promotion.

Jon

I would agree. IMO, the Eagles are the deepest team in the NFL. The only other teams that even compare are the Steelers or Patriots. I would love to see anyone from Philly's front office to come here to the Bills.

The Vikings also seem to be doing a house-cleaning, and their Front Office could be replaced by the choice of their new owner. If the Bills don't jump on it quickly, I would be willing to guess that the Vikings will be looking toward to the Eagles front office to be the replacement. (Just a guess)

Mudflap1
10-25-2005, 03:04 PM
Agreed.

Jon

Michael82
10-25-2005, 03:35 PM
Great post. He's the best defensive player on this team, IMO. He always gives it 110% and works his ass off. watch the plays, he's all over the ****ing field. Without him, Posey and Crowell would look like ****. Hell, Spikes would even struggle without Fletcher.

Mudflap1
10-25-2005, 03:44 PM
He's the best defensive player on this team

Clements, Sam Adams, Milloy? I assume you left out Spikes because he is hurt.

I think Clements is the best defensive player, clearly. (although he had a crappy game Sunday)

Jon

Michael82
10-25-2005, 03:57 PM
Clements, Sam Adams, Milloy? I assume you left out Spikes because he is hurt.

I think Clements is the best defensive player, clearly. (although he had a crappy game Sunday)

Jon
Milloy is showing his age. He's not the same anymore. Sam Adams is still good, but he's also tiring too quickly and not the same anymore. Clements is overrated and does not deserve to get paid as the best CB in the league. Fletcher may not be the best, but he's one of the best, IMO.

Mudflap1
10-25-2005, 04:38 PM
Mikey, a lot of people are saying the same thing about Fletcher, good player, but getting older, overrated, may be past his prime, etc. In fact, those guys are all about the same age, no?

The bottom line is that our whole defense is overrated. Crowell is not a good run stopper, and the three-headed monster of Bannan, Sape, and Anderson is frighteningly terrible. While I like Fletcher and think he's definitely a good player, he has struggled quite a bit as well. Nobody (with the exception of Spikes, assuming he makes a full recovery) is untouchable on this defense, IMO. The closest is Clements. Is the best CB in the league? No, I don't think so, but he's pretty good. He gave up some plays last week, but he's played pretty well for most of the season (were #1 in pass defense up until last week).

Jon

Mr. Cynical
10-25-2005, 08:15 PM
Just fire TD and get a competent GM. The rest of the process will take care of itself.

superbills
10-25-2005, 09:28 PM
THe thing about all of our linebackers, it seems, is that they need each other (I know, :limp:) Take Spikes out of the equation and now Fletcher is struggling. THe same would happen if Fletcher were out and Spikes were in the game. The fact is we have TWO good LB's, not three. Posey was the benefactor of the Spikes-Fletcher two-headed monster and nothing more.
That said, Fletcher is under-appreciated for the effort he puts out. Hell, even Ray Lewis and Urlacher would have trouble behind this D-line. Opposing teams can just tee-off on our LB's because they don't have to double any of the guys up front. We've got to address the issues on the front four before we worry about linebackers.

Mudflap1
10-25-2005, 10:17 PM
Just fire TD and get a competent GM. The rest of the process will take care of itself.

I like your style my friend.

Jon

Drive 4 Five
10-25-2005, 10:24 PM

Fletcher? Are you on crack? This guy sucks. He only has more tackles in the last five years than ANY other linebacker in the league. He's not good enough for the Buffalo Bills. Don't you get it?

Devin
10-25-2005, 10:27 PM

Im all for you throwing yourself into traffic....film it.

No I agree, any talk of Fletcher should be limited to speaking of how great he is. If anything the man deserves a raise.

I hope he retires a Bill.

Mr. Cynical
10-25-2005, 11:36 PM
I like your style my friend.

Jon

:cheers: