PDA

View Full Version : Would Weiss be our next coach?

DaBills
10-25-2005, 02:52 PM
I'm throwing this out there: it's not impossible, is it? Weiss doesn't have an ironclad deal at ND. He's shown he can game plan an O in the pros. It would also be a chance for him to go up against his mentor in the AFC East, not to mention he knows Brady's tendancies/weaknesses.

I think the only way Weiss comes back to the NFL is as HC. Minn. is just too ****ed up a situation as they really only have Culpepper and a few ex-Bills.

Only way is for Ralph to open up the wallet and pay some serious cash. That may be the biggest hurdle even though I believe coaches salaries are not limited by the cap. (Clump can correct me on that).

If the Bills keep sliding, I don't think it's that far-fetched that MM will be on the hotseat and we'll be looking on Monster for a new HC.

Or am I nutz?

Mudflap1
10-25-2005, 03:00 PM
I'd love it. I'm not sure he'd leave Notre Dame so soon, his alma mater, but I'm all for it if we can pry him outta there.

Jon

Gunzlingr
10-25-2005, 03:20 PM
I think the key is our team is going to have to start spending the big bucks to get the good coaches.

justasportsfan
10-25-2005, 03:21 PM
The NFL is everyones dream. People thought Saban was not going to leave LSU. As soon as the fins owner opened his wallet , Saban changed his mind. Like I said in a diff. thread, Weiss facing BB and Saban would make a great story.

Captain Obvious
10-25-2005, 03:27 PM
I'm throwing this out there: it's not impossible, is it? Weiss doesn't have an ironclad deal at ND. He's shown he can game plan an O in the pros. It would also be a chance for him to go up against his mentor in the AFC East, not to mention he knows Brady's tendancies/weaknesses.

I think the only way Weiss comes back to the NFL is as HC. Minn. is just too ****ed up a situation as they really only have Culpepper and a few ex-Bills.

Only way is for Ralph to open up the wallet and pay some serious cash. That may be the biggest hurdle even though I believe coaches salaries are not limited by the cap. (Clump can correct me on that).

If the Bills keep sliding, I don't think it's that far-fetched that MM will be on the hotseat and we'll be looking on Monster for a new HC.

Or am I nutz?

No, your not nuts. I wanted TD to hire Weis two years ago. But

1)Weis will probably leave ND eventually, just not after one year
2)TD had the chance to hire Weis 2 years ago and didn't
3)Ralph would have to eat the last 3 years of MM's contract, and then fork over big cash for Weis as you said

OpIv37
10-25-2005, 03:48 PM
Leave Weiss right where he is til ND wins a national championship.

And Mularkey won't get fired this year- he'll get one more at least.

feelthepain
10-25-2005, 03:55 PM
The NFL is everyones dream. People thought Saban was not going to leave LSU. As soon as the fins owner opened his wallet , Saban changed his mind. Like I said in a diff. thread, Weiss facing BB and Saban would make a great story.

Come now, do you really think after the season Charlie is having at ND he would leave to go to the Bills?? I think Martz could be a real possibility, however I'm not sure you as a Bill fan would want another coach that just let the D go south. Every year removed from Vermeil, Martz's D has gotten worse, I think theres a pattern. Besides,MM will be there for a few years he is also your "OC" I don't think MM would like Martz to come in and be the man calling the plays so I think that leaves Martz out as your new OC.

Here's something interesting to think about though, with Tyce being on thin ice in Minny, Our OC Linehan may be persuaded to leave Miami and take the HC position in Minn. That would leave Miami without an OC, and who will be looking for work now that he is no longer the man in St.Louis??? Thats right Martz, now I like Linehan and would love to see him remain the OC, but there is a chance he could be the HC for Minn next year and I would love to see Martz become our OC. Just some food for thought.

NJFINSFAN1
10-25-2005, 03:58 PM
They were talking about this all day on ESPN radio. Most people think he will stay until he gets a Championship. But he only has a 1.5 million dollar buyout at ND.

Word is he is mad at NFL people for not giving him a chance.

But one never knows, money talks. But if he did come out, my money is on the Rams who have more offensive fire power that would fit him.

ParanoidAndroid
10-25-2005, 04:17 PM
It all depends on what type of guy Weiss is. Is he a sentimental guy who would rather be the next great ND coach or is he more interested in making more money and grabbing the pinnacle of football success as a SB winning NFL head coach?

Novacane
10-25-2005, 04:19 PM
Word is he is mad at NFL people for not giving him a chance.

I can see why he would be really pissed that big dumb Mike Mularkey was given a job ahead of him. TD=total ****** moron

RedEyE
10-25-2005, 04:19 PM
I never understood why TD didn't jump at hiring him in the first place.

1) Division opponent cordinator that could have offered an amazing amount of insight in defeating the Patriots
2) Belichick hire

= No brainer

Novacane
10-25-2005, 04:22 PM
I never understood why TD didn't jump at hiring him in the first place.

Because TD is an idiot

Mudflap1
10-25-2005, 04:32 PM
Come now, do you really think after the season Charlie is having at ND he would leave to go to the Bills?? I think Martz could be a real possibility, however I'm not sure you as a Bill fan would want another coach that just let the D go south.

Careful there... you guys had 'Shlong-stadt' in there for several years in a row, I wouldn't be throwing stones...

Jon

justasportsfan
10-25-2005, 04:34 PM
Come now, do you really think after the season Charlie is having at ND he would leave to go to the Bills?? I think Martz could be a real possibility, however I'm not sure you as a Bill fan would want another coach that just let the D go south. Every year removed from Vermeil, Martz's D has gotten worse, I think theres a pattern. Besides,MM will be there for a few years he is also your "OC" I don't think MM would like Martz to come in and be the man calling the plays so I think that leaves Martz out as your new OC.

Here's something interesting to think about though, with Tyce being on thin ice in Minny, Our OC Linehan may be persuaded to leave Miami and take the HC position in Minn. That would leave Miami without an OC, and who will be looking for work now that he is no longer the man in St.Louis??? Thats right Martz, now I like Linehan and would love to see him remain the OC, but there is a chance he could be the HC for Minn next year and I would love to see Martz become our OC. Just some food for thought.
nope, didn't say he would levae ND next year. TD and MM aren't gonna be gone next year either whether we win or not. I was looking at it down the road when TD's is gone. I still reserve my judgement on MM.

As for Martz, is there anything that was implied that Martz would be a Saban type of OC?

feelthepain
10-25-2005, 05:00 PM
nope, didn't say he would levae ND next year. TD and MM aren't gonna be gone next year either whether we win or not. I was looking at it down the road when TD's is gone. I still reserve my judgement on MM.

As for Martz, is there anything that was implied that Martz would be a Saban type of OC?

I think Saban would like to run the Ball, Martz has been doing fine with Jackson in the Backfield. I think Saban would be more then fine with Martz's style. High output O that keeps the D from having to win all the games. Martz would be a very solid replacement for Linehan. There would have to be a whole lot go right for all this to work out, but Miami with the talent they have and a few new addition Like a starting caliber QB and a #1 WR plus a couple of solid O-linemen everything else (coaching staff and talent) is in place.

IMO if the fins have an opening at OC next year and Martz is avalible, he would be a fool not to take the job. I honestly don't think Martz will get a chance to be a HC anywhere next year.

DaBills
10-25-2005, 05:01 PM
"That would leave Miami without an OC, and who will be looking for work now that he is no longer the man in St.Louis??? Thats right Martz, now I like Linehan and would love to see him remain the OC, but there is a chance he could be the HC for Minn next year and I would love to see Martz become our OC. Just some food for thought."

Our genius playcalling is actually shared by the two-headed monster of Tom Clements and MM. (Just so you know: MM's official title is QB savior. Although we haven't actually seen this. It's just a rumor.)

Anyway, Martz's gimmicky O only worked because he had enough weapons to make it go. A great OL in Pace and great back in Holt were key to its success. Add in Warner who had what it took to make it work and a huge chip on his shoulder. I don't see any Warner-type QB's in Miami lately. With only Ricky Williams on O, they're a very one-, make that non-dimensional offense and Martz would be ineffective without a great line or very good QB. He rubs people the wrong way and they are riding him out of town in St. Louis, and that's after the guy won them a freakin' SB.

And Miami's SB hopes left when Alfred E. Fiedler went to the Jests.

X-Era
10-25-2005, 05:09 PM

Or am I nutz?

Why pay top dollar for a proven coach when you get the next coordinator with zero experience to lead a team full of so-whats with losers attitudes to the game?

Thats the translation of the argument TD would make. But TD would add, no one has ever been more prepared for the interview.

I love that one, is TDs office big enough to hold the games there? maybe we would actually be prepared and win a few.

Mudflap1
10-25-2005, 05:14 PM
No way Martz goes to Miami. Martz has a big ego, and Saban has an even bigger one. No chance.

Jon

feelthepain
10-25-2005, 06:37 PM
DaBills wrote:

I don't see any Warner-type QB's in Miami lately. With only Ricky Williams on O, they're a very one-, make that non-dimensional offense and Martz would be ineffective without a great line or very good QB.

Well rest assured Miami will have a top notch QB next year, If I had a guess I'd say thats Sabans job 1 this off season. BTW, "with only Ricky Williams on O", You may not accept the facts, but C.Chambers, R.McMichael, R.Brown on the team thats a whole lota fire power. In addition to the QB, Saban will also bring in a #1 WR and a couple of O-linemen. Remember Miami will be some 25 mill under the salary cap next year. Plus we have all but a number 6 pick next year for the draft. Saban added some real depth through the drft last year. Next year I expect a starter or two and more solid depth through the draft. Martz will have plenty to work with.

DaBills
10-25-2005, 07:07 PM
DaBills wrote:

Well rest assured Miami will have a top notch QB next year, If I had a guess I'd say thats Sabans job 1 this off season. BTW, "with only Ricky Williams on O", You may not accept the facts, but C.Chambers, R.McMichael, R.Brown on the team thats a whole lota fire power. In addition to the QB, Saban will also bring in a #1 WR and a couple of O-linemen. Remember Miami will be some 25 mill under the salary cap next year. Plus we have all but a number 6 pick next year for the draft. Saban added some real depth through the drft last year. Next year I expect a starter or two and more solid depth through the draft. Martz will have plenty to work with.

Dude. You sound like us two years ago. Right now, I think only Williams gives you guys a bona fide threat. Jason Taylor and Zach on D, but for now, it looks like the o needs more than Buffalo does.

:brace:

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-25-2005, 07:29 PM
That guy isn't leaving ND that soon. Man, think of all the guys that were passed on by the Bills for G. Williams and M. Mularky. Not good.

RedEyE
10-25-2005, 07:33 PM
I laughed the other night listening to ESPN radio. They made mention that Gregg Williams should nail a HC job next season.

ajsdx
10-25-2005, 07:57 PM
One thing that you guys are all failing to mention (and I know you all know this because it's been posted here before) is that when Weis was the OC for the Pats, all of the NE fans HATED him! They thought his play calling was crap, and it was their incredible defense and brady that was bailing Weis out -- every time NE lost they blamed it almost 100% on their OC. I think that's important here -- NE fans weren't too sad when Weis left -- they were more concerned over the fact that they hired a guy named nobody to take his place than they were at actually losing him.

Plus, there's no way Weis is leaving ND after only one year, regardless of what job is open. He's not getting the national championship this year, so he'll give it at least one more shot before he returns to the pros. He seems to like it down there, bringing in Rudy and Montana to give pep talks.

feelthepain
10-25-2005, 08:40 PM
Dude. You sound like us two years ago. Right now, I think only Williams gives you guys a bona fide threat. Jason Taylor and Zach on D, but for now, it looks like the o needs more than Buffalo does.

:brace:

Dude you have no TE one RB and one WR You have no QB and no Oline so what are you talking about?? Your O just got spanked by a 1-4 Raiders team , a team that has spent far more on their O then their D and the Bills couldn't do a thing.

We have #2 overall R.Brown who's running his arse off, R.McMichael this year has been playing big, C.Chambers may not be a probowler this year but when the whole O starts to click Chris is a serious threat. Marty Booker who is a former probowler playing more then solid. Wes Welker who has more total yrds then ANY player in the league, he is a gem of a player. Also, Miami's O is 22 in the league and the Bills are 29. You need to either watch more football or stop posting, because your knowledge of the fins is ....well, not good.

DaBills
10-25-2005, 08:44 PM
Dude you have no TE one RB and one WR You have no QB and no Oline so what are you talking about?? Your O just got spanked by a 1-4 Raiders team , a team that has spent far more on their O then their D and the Bills couldn't do a thing.

We have #2 overall R.Brown who's running his arse off, R.McMichael this year has been playing big, C.Chambers may not be a probowler this year but when the whole O starts to click Chris is a serious threat. Marty Booker who is a former probowler playing more then solid. Wes Welker who has more total yrds then ANY player in the league, he is a gem of a player. You need to either watch more football or stop posting, because your knowledge of the fins is ....well, not good.

Hmm. Josh reed and Moulds. Shaud Williams AND McGahee are a nice tandem, (When we go to them.) JP i s unproven and Holcomb is adequate.

But here's what I know about Finball:

a team that got spanked by a 1-4 Raiders team beat them.

Ouch.

feelthepain
10-25-2005, 09:11 PM
But here's what I know about Finball:

a team that got spanked by a 1-4 Raiders team beat them.

Ouch.

Typical, all you have to live on is small victoys.

superbills
10-25-2005, 09:21 PM

And all you have to live on is Bills losses - to teams other than yours. Go cry in your own barn.

DaBills
10-25-2005, 09:21 PM

Hey. I understand. It's ok. Enjoy the good feeling you have. December is here in five games.

BleedinGreenNC
10-26-2005, 12:38 PM
No, your not nuts. I wanted TD to hire Weis two years ago. But

1)Weis will probably leave ND eventually, just not after one year
2)TD had the chance to hire Weis 2 years ago and didn't
3)Ralph would have to eat the last 3 years of MM's contract, and then fork over big cash for Weis as you saidEveryone had the chance to get Weiss, i dont think he is going to leave anytime soon, they gave him a chance and he is going to remember that, and stay with ND.

TigerJ
10-26-2005, 12:54 PM
The ND coaching job is one of the toughest in football for two reasons:

1. ND maintains higher academic standards than most schools for its athletes. A lot of University of Miami players would not even be recruited, or could not remain as students for ND because their academic performance just doesn't meet ND standards.

2. Nobody has higher expectations for the performance of their football team than the administration, fans, and alumni of ND. It may not be realistic given #1 but realism is generally not the strong suit of football fans.

Given those two circumstances, Weis was probably the smartest coaching hire ND has ever made. Weis made his living at NE coaching players who perhaps were not the most athletic in the NFL, but they were (and are still) smart er than most. He used their intelligence to design an offence that didn't require superior measurables from athletes, but did depend on smart players who understood what they are doing and could do it more consistently than anyone else in the NFL. He has the same thing at ND, and he is accomplishing the same thing on the college level that he did with the NE offence.

He would be a great choice to try and hire away from ND except for one thing. Since he is the ideal coaching hire for ND he is succeeding in a way that no one has for decades as a coach for the Irish, and he is probably the most popular man in South Bend. They worship him. He will be able to earn as much or more than he could in the NFL in his next contract if he is not already, and enjoy job security that he could never have in the NFL. Buffalo could not hire Charlie Weis away from ND any more than they could Pete Carrol from USC.