PDA

View Full Version : S A M W Y C H E

RedEyE
10-25-2005, 11:01 PM
I'd like to discuss Sam Wyche.

Here is a guy that hasn't had any success since screwing up the Bengals way back when (maybe 15 years ago). From Cincy he moves to Tampa and manages to do absolutely nothing with the Bucs for 3 straight years. He then disappears for 10 years (so called "retirement) and is pulled onto the Bills staff as a QB coach.

Last year he managed to skate by as Bledsoe absorbed much of the blame. This season he is asked to condition a kid that so wet behind the ears it looks as if he was just rescued from spilling over great Niagara.

What exactly did Sam do to improve Bledsoe's game? What could he do? We're talking about a veteran that has seen and heard almost everything. A veteran that went without a QB coach the year prior to Sam venturing out of retirment.

Then on walks Losman. A kid that has talent, speed, confidence, want and ability. Before the season even begins Losman is quoted as finding it "weird to lead grown men". After the first half of game 1, Losman then goes on a successful rampage of leading grown men to defeat after defeat. Game after game he seems to never get better, and he never really fixes what was broken. Losman is then benched during two consecutive games.

So please tell me why coaching shouldn't share the blame for Losman's early demise?

Night Train
10-26-2005, 06:15 AM
I'd like to discuss Sam Wyche.

Here is a guy that hasn't had any success since screwing up the Bengals way back when (maybe 15 years ago). From Cincy he moves to Tampa and manages to do absolutely nothing with the Bucs for 3 straight years. He then disappears for 10 years (so called "retirement) and is pulled onto the Bills staff as a QB coach.

Last year he managed to skate by as Bledsoe absorbed much of the blame. This season he is asked to condition a kid that so wet behind the ears it looks as if he was just rescued from spilling over great Niagara.

What exactly did Sam do to improve Bledsoe's game? What could he do? We're talking about a veteran that has seen and heard almost everything. A veteran that went without a QB coach the year prior to Sam venturing out of retirment.

Then on walks Losman. A kid that has talent, speed, confidence, want and ability. Before the season even begins Losman is quoted as finding it "weird to lead grown men". After the first half of game 1, Losman then goes on a successful rampage of leading grown men to defeat after defeat. Game after game he seems to never get better, and he never really fixes what was broken. Losman is then benched during two consecutive games.

So please tell me why coaching shouldn't share the blame for Losman's early demise?

Didn't Wyche come within 13 seconds of beating San Fran in a Super Bowl ? He also developed 2 QB's named Montana and Eisiason. They turned out OK.
4 games is a demise ?

It's hard to take this post seriously. Sour grapes a plenty.

TacklingDummy
10-26-2005, 06:20 AM
You don't live in Canada you live in Buffalo.

Doesn't sound as good as Sam, "You don't live in Cleveland you live in Cincinnati"

Earthquake Enyart
10-26-2005, 06:43 AM
Red has a point. :couch:

HHURRICANE
10-26-2005, 08:37 AM
Let's be fair here. This post is kind of true and we all have been thinking it. I feel bad that Sam got throat cancer but he had a whole season to develop Losman. Some mistakes are reasonable for a rookie. The double touch before he passes is not. What did Sam do with this kid for 11 months? Bledsoe looks a hell of alot better in Dallas. You know that Parcells has had something to do with this. I think Sam does deserve a beating here. Good post.

Captain gameboy
10-26-2005, 08:47 AM
I know I've been thinking about it.

Old Ralph has done everthing possible to give the front office, staff and team a shot.

It aint gettin' done, and no sour grapes there.

mysticsoto
10-26-2005, 08:48 AM
Let's be fair here. This post is kind of true and we all have been thinking it. I feel bad that Sam got throat cancer but he had a whole season to develop Losman. Some mistakes are reasonable for a rookie. The double touch before he passes is not. What did Sam do with this kid for 11 months? Bledsoe looks a hell of alot better in Dallas. You know that Parcells has had something to do with this. I think Sam does deserve a beating here. Good post.

I disagree. Eli was terrible last year. Does that mean Coughlin was a terrible coach last year but a good coach this year? What about Carson Palmer and Marvin Lewis? Is Lewis all of a sudden a good coach this year? You are not all of a sudden a good or bad coach b'cse a QB doesn't perform as you may have expected him to. Fact of the matter is that QB is one of the hardest positions on the team. It is why QBs tend to get either all of the fame and glory, or all of the blame when teams win or lose. As has been pointed out many times, most good QBs need time to develop. All the greats, Manning (both of them), Favre, Carson Palmer, even Drew Brees - they all had terrible starts.

I wish people would grow out of the MTV generation of wanting everything now, Now, NOW! Ben has done okay in Pittsburgh - but let's put things in perspective. The Steelers have a good Oline and a great defense. It's not like he's been lighting it up. He has ALOT of help! We have neither this year. The assumption from last year was that we'd have a great D that would help the O. We haven't, and JP's development has suffered b'cse of it. We knew that if the pressure was going to be put on his shoulders, he would fail and he did. KH is doing better due to his experience, but even he will fail as long as the rest of the team is not contributing. And if the rest of the team is not contributing, I can't see how we can pin the blame on Wyche for this...

HHURRICANE
10-26-2005, 08:55 AM
I disagree. Eli was terrible last year. Does that mean Coughlin was a terrible coach last year but a good coach this year? What about Carson Palmer and Marvin Lewis? Is Lewis all of a sudden a good coach this year? You are not all of a sudden a good or bad coach b'cse a QB doesn't perform as you may have expected him to.

Whoaa. If you have seen any of my posts I want JP in the NE game. Plus I am the one who keeps bringing up the Eli example and that is why I want JP playing so we can see what we got. However, JP is making some mistakes that someone like Wyche should have been able to correct with the time he has had. Bad decisions, not reading the D are okay. The double pad, the looking at your reciver the whole time, etc., etc., is not! I call it the way I see it. With that said I think Losman is good enough to be our starter and be a star. Our coaching staff sucks.

mysticsoto
10-26-2005, 09:07 AM
Whoaa. If you have seen any of my posts I want JP in the NE game. Plus I am the one who keeps bringing up the Eli example and that is why I want JP playing so we can see what we got. However, JP is making some mistakes that someone like Wyche should have been able to correct with the time he has had. Bad decisions, not reading the D are okay. The double pad, the looking at your reciver the whole time, etc., etc., is not! I call it the way I see it. With that said I think Losman is good enough to be our starter and be a star. Our coaching staff sucks.

In the interviews I've seen, the coaching staff (especially Wyche) drilled JP constantly on what to do when a certain play happens, who to go to, etc. It is one thing to know it on paper, and another thing to do it physically. As a matter of fact, I remember JP being interviewed after one of those games he lost (I think it was the one where he took the Safety) and he mentioned that he should have made a certain throw to his outlet receiver but missed - and that he had practiced that in practice and missed it also and Wyche had been on top of him about being able to make that shot and he had dismissed him saying in a real game he'd be able to make it. If I remember correctly, JP then said, "I guess I should listen more to Sam - he knows what he's talking about".

Like Peyton Manning himself said, you just have to get playing time - there's only so much a coach can do. The rest must be done by experience.

That being said, if there's anyone to blame it would be Clements who doesn't always make the best calls as to the plays being run. Mularkey gets the blame also for allowing that...

justasportsfan
10-26-2005, 10:18 AM
wyche has done everything he can do to prepare JP. What JP does on the field is all JP. What some people here are forgetting is that Jp doesn't come from a college team that's seen good competition. I think this is why he's struggling.

I noticed that Jp had very little INT's in college. Could it be that when he thinks he can't make a throw , he'd rather run the ball? Seems to me that Mwelde (sp) Moores article about JP being selfish isn't far from what Moulds and co. said about Jp not trusting his wr's to make plays.

He has the talent, he just has to brush up on his decision making on the field and that is something Wyche has no control over.

Jan Reimers
10-26-2005, 12:42 PM
Why the HELL does everything always have to be somebody's fault? JP Losman has started all of 4 NFL games. Is it really Sam Wyche's fault that he isn't All Pro yet, or could it be that it takes more than 4 games to develop most NFL quarterbacks?

Drive 4 Five
10-26-2005, 01:22 PM
JUSTA do you have alink to this article regarding Moore and Losman. I have seen references but have yet to read it.

As far as blaming Wyche for Losman's struggles, that is like me blaming my wife for my obsession with the XBOX instead of hanging gutter, ydoing yard work and all the other stuff on our list. Ok so maybe not but I bet Losman would not blame Wyche for his own struggles so why some of you feel the need to do so is beyond me.

Once again for all who don't know...

HE'S ONLY PLAYED 3 1/2 GAMES. LOSMAN IS NOT ROETHLISBERGER.

Which brings me to another point. I think it is about time people start giving Roetlisberger some credit. We all saw two weeks ago against Jacksonville, what the Steelers would look like if not for him.

TacklingDummy
10-26-2005, 02:05 PM
Personally I think a QB coach is just like a hitting/batting coach in baseball.
They are basically useless. Either the person has the talent or doesn't.

justasportsfan
10-26-2005, 02:32 PM
JUSTA do you have alink to this article regarding Moore and Losman. I have seen references but have yet to read it.
.http://www.dominateyourleague.com/FantasyFootballNews.aspx

Vikings | Moore not Fond of Losman
Sat, 24 Sep 2005 15:25:43 -0700

Mark Craig, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings RB Mewelde Moore is not a big fan of his former college teammate at Tulane, Buffalo Bills QB J.P. Losman. "I just didn't like the way he played ball the last two years at Tulane," Moore said. "You are what you are. He's a great player, and he'll be a great player once he plays total team ball and sells out for the team and not for himself." Moore indicated that Losman's selfishness affected Tulane's effectiveness as a team. "I wish the best to him. I just don't have any interest in playing with him," added Moore.

RedEyE
10-26-2005, 03:53 PM
Didn't Wyche come within 13 seconds of beating San Fran in a Super Bowl ? He also developed 2 QB's named Montana and Eisiason. They turned out OK.
4 games is a demise ?

It's hard to take this post seriously. Sour grapes a plenty.

No sour grapes here and Wyche's accomplishments are well noted. It's what he did post Super Bowl that interests me. And my point was/is; what has he done since then?

Make no mistake about it, I'm pro Losman. Perhaps demise was the wrong choice of words. I'll then change it to "dismissal". So how 'bout sticking to topic of discussion and give me a reason why Wyche should be saved from ridicule.

RedEyE
10-26-2005, 04:05 PM
Why the HELL does everything always have to be somebody's fault? JP Losman has started all of 4 NFL games. Is it really Sam Wyche's fault that he isn't All Pro yet, or could it be that it takes more than 4 games to develop most NFL quarterbacks?

Let's not be hasty. Someone is always to blame and no one expected Losman to come out guns a blazin'. At least I never did. I just find it interesting that here we have a young player that struggles early, finds the bench then gets castrated by the media, some players, and some fans. He was coached up to this point and will be beyond it. Think about the last time Wyche was successful. Too many years to count on 2 hands. I think the game and the players might have passed 'ol Sam by. And to add to it, I really haven't seen much out of Holcomb this year either. I understand the team as a collective, but where's the adjustments? The first half in every game this year has been decent (not great but better than the second half). The second half for each game has been dismal. The entire team hasn't made the right adjustments to include the QB. So yes, there needs to be blame or otherwise it's ok to continue this way. I for one am not ok with the Bills continuing this way. Are you?