PDA

View Full Version : Evans has solution for Bills: Just air it out

The_Philster
10-27-2005, 05:12 AM
Wide receiver Lee Evans could not provide a definitive solution, but he did offer a potential starting point in the search for one.
As the Bills' second-year wide receiver was sitting in front of his locker stall dressing for practice Wednesday, the topic of conversation turned to Buffalo's pop-gun passing game and what can be done to establish a more viable downfield attack in the coming weeks, starting Sunday night in New England.
"Just throw it up there and see what happens," said Evans, a speed burner who is Buffalo's lone deep threat. more (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051027/SPORTS03/510270351/1007/SPORTS)

Jeff1220
10-27-2005, 06:25 AM
Didn't Ralph have a suggestion (more of a warning actually) just like this last year before the Bills went on a tear?

Jan Reimers
10-27-2005, 06:50 AM
Kind of surprising, a wide receiver wanting the ball thrown more. I bet McGahee would suggest more running plays.

Pride
10-27-2005, 06:56 AM
Honestly, over the past couple of weeks, it isnt our offense that has sputtered... it is our defense. We've been able to move the ball with KH... but the problem is, we cant win in a shoot out. Our defense is the problem right now, not the offense.

If our defense doenst get anybetter, we will have to air it out, just to try to compete (just like the Rams and Colts had to do when their D's sucked)

HHURRICANE
10-27-2005, 07:58 AM
Honestly, over the past couple of weeks, it isnt our offense that has sputtered... it is our defense. We've been able to move the ball with KH... but the problem is, we cant win in a shoot out. Our defense is the problem right now, not the offense.

If our defense doenst get anybetter, we will have to air it out, just to try to compete (just like the Rams and Colts had to do when their D's sucked)

Hmmm. I usually agree with your points, but not on this one. I agree our D has been horrible but KH is a 400+ yard per game QB. Have we had any QB this year throw for more than 158 yards? That is ridiculous. Clements needs to be shot. Where is Evans? I have not seen Evans since the home opener where we were throwing downfield and JP looked good. Every game this year we have had a second half melt down. MM is obviously not an offensive genius. The irony here is we hired him over other canidates because we needed offense.

OpIv37
10-27-2005, 08:23 AM
one major flaw in the "just throw it downfield" strategy: In order to throw it long, the QB has to take his drop, look up to see if the long pass is there, and still have enough room around him to perform a complete throwing motion. This takes at least 2-3 seconds.

Our o-line is so bad at pass blocking that they can't provide that kind of time against most of the defenses we play.

madness
10-27-2005, 08:36 AM
Isn't Holcomb's arm suspect for the air it out strategy?

OpIv37
10-27-2005, 08:38 AM
Isn't Holcomb's arm suspect for the air it out strategy?

I've heard that, but he does have multiple 400 yard games in limited action, and that was in Cleveland, so it's not like he had Moss- or Owens- quality receivers. He must be able tog et at least some air under the ball

JD
10-27-2005, 11:03 AM
Just keep pounding McGahee up the god damn middle!!!! He can't dance his way to the outside...we can't block good enough for that to happen. Run McGahee, keep throwing screens and air it out on occasion for the long ball...I think if we have Parrish in as a reciever, teams will be pressed to double cover him because of his speed...thus opening up chances for the other receivers in Moulds and Evans.

juice
10-27-2005, 11:17 AM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Teams will never have to double cover Parrish because of his size, especially not the Pats since he's yet to catch anything but a punt.

The Pats will load the middle to stop WM and make the Bills prove they can protect the QB long enough go deep to Evans or Moulds.. until the Bills can show a deep threat, stopping the run game will be the priority.
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Just keep pounding McGahee up the god damn middle!!!! He can't dance his way to the outside...we can't block good enough for that to happen. Run McGahee, keep throwing screens and air it out on occasion for the long ball...I think if we have Parrish in as a reciever, teams will be pressed to double cover him because of his speed...thus opening up chances for the other receivers in Moulds and Evans.

OpIv37
10-27-2005, 11:21 AM
I agree with Juice- Parrish may end up being a weapon, but he hasn't shown anything yet. There is no way in hell the Pats double-cover a 5'7" rookie receiver coming off an injury.

OpIv37
10-27-2005, 11:23 AM
Teams will never have to double cover Parrish because of his size, especially not the Pats since he's yet to catch anything but a punt.

The Pats will load the middle to stop WM and make the Bills prove they can protect the QB long enough go deep to Evans or Moulds.. until the Bills can show a deep threat, stopping the run game will be the priority.

agreed. That's exactly how opponents stopped Henry and Bledsoe in 2003 and the first part of 2004. And until our O-line shows some blocking ability for the run and protection ability for the pass, it will keep happening.

colin
10-27-2005, 11:31 AM
our play calling is crap.

we don't even call play action, that is terrible.

one thing the raiders did against us is ran medium to deep plays with the WR cutting out the corner. this was designed to exploit our blitzing, going right into the soft part of the field quickly. you'd think we would try a single play like that.

our plays are short passes, but are VERY slow to develop, we need some more aggressive lower percentage type plays, and some GD play action.

i really think clements is a poor coordinator.

BAM
10-27-2005, 11:33 AM
Have we had any QB this year throw for more than 158 yards? That is ridiculous.

Losman threw for 170 in the opener. I believe Holcomb's high is 172. :D

OpIv37
10-27-2005, 11:44 AM
our play calling is crap.
we don't even call play action, that is terrible.

I agree play action would help, but two things:
1. If the defense doesn't buy it, it's just one more thing to take time before the QB has to throw, thus putting more pressure on our suspect o-line.
2. Play action fakes only work if you're running the ball well. And our coaching staff gives up on McGahee waaaay too early.

BILL$ B@$HER
10-27-2005, 11:45 AM

your team all around needs help. not that i have room to talk, but we both need improvment everywhere, and that also go for the jets:crap:

CanaanVtBillsFan
10-27-2005, 11:49 AM
MAybe if the staff sticks to what they say they'l do
RUN THE DAMN BALL IS RIGHT ON THE MONEY
Lets hope they staff doesn't have their normal brain fart during the game
I'm totally for the air ball
not so much the trick reverse plays or flea flickers, but I thought we had some speed on this team
we got the machinery
Moulds, Lee Evans, Smith, Even Reed Now we got a decoy in Parrish
it's all wihful thiniking as always
Isn't the NE secondary banged up?
Honestly if you look at the defensive stats for both teams unless I'm reading them wrong Buffalo has the edge on most most defense
OK yeah not in the ^*&*&^*rushing defense
I don't know why, but honestly I'm feeling that we can beat the Pats
If we stop the run "Obviously this has been our thorn in the side
NE isn't like they use to be
Yes Brady is a consistant 300+ passer, but our secondary is damn good when they want to be
We have to play flawless ball
Special Teams can contribute
Run 25+ times
Air Balls
No Dumb Penalties
Stay HEalthy
Protect Holcomb
Yeah Yeah it's the same ole solutions to a victory, but this damn teams is like night and day
one week the D is outstanding Besides again the run
Then they totally bomb
I have no more damn nails to chew over this team:nervous:
COME ON BUFFALO

OpIv37
10-27-2005, 01:07 PM
your team all around needs help. not that i have room to talk, but we both need improvment everywhere, and that also go for the jets:crap:

I hate to admit it, but I agree with you here. The worst part about this season is that the Pats have finally declined a little, and all three teams in the division are too weak to take them out. With the AFC wild card race so tight and the Pats at 3-3, knocking them out of the top of the division might keep them out of the playoffs. Unfortunately, the rest of the division sucks worse than they do.

BILL$ B@$HER
10-27-2005, 01:13 PM
I hate to admit it, but I agree with you here. The worst part about this season is that the Pats have finally declined a little, and all three teams in the division are too weak to take them out. With the AFC wild card race so tight and the Pats at 3-3, knocking them out of the top of the division might keep them out of the playoffs. Unfortunately, the rest of the division sucks worse than they do.

i know, man it really sucks. im so sick of those phucin patriots and their fans

gannd
10-27-2005, 01:39 PM
I haven't seen anything that would show me Kelly has a arm that can air it out.

BadgerVid
10-27-2005, 02:56 PM
I've heard that, but he does have multiple 400 yard games in limited action, and that was in Cleveland, so it's not like he had Moss- or Owens- quality receivers. He must be able tog et at least some air under the ball

One game is not "multiple games"....sorry

HHURRICANE
10-27-2005, 03:18 PM
Losman threw for 170 in the opener. I believe Holcomb's high is 172. :D

So noted. thanks.

HHURRICANE
10-27-2005, 03:19 PM

He had 5 I believe!!

Billzz
10-27-2005, 03:52 PM
So many negative and out right wrong posts in this thread. I am to lazy to quote and break them all down showing my own ignorant and wrong opinion so I will just post this.

The first play from scrimmage will be a Long Ball to Evans or Moulds who ever isn't double covered and probably will be picked off. That is all.

madness
10-27-2005, 08:03 PM

For some reason, I thought it was two too.

He threw for 413 and 5 TD's last year and 392 and 3 TD's in '04.

DaBills
10-27-2005, 08:21 PM
as someone said and I agree, no identity on O. If we run, it's sporadic and sets up the pass, but then we tend not forget about the run.

But back to the QB is the problem vs. the D is the problem: During Dilfer's SB run in Baltimore, he averaged 136 yards per game and 1 TD. Point is, they didn't have to score a ton to win.

And I think KH is a Dilfer-type don't-lose-the-game-for-you QB. But we don't have a D with an impact player like Ray Lewis that can win a game if the O is only putting up 14-17 points on average. This O needs to pout 28, and DIlfer ain't that kinda QB. Look at our points production as well since the the beginning of the decade, which has dropped an average of one TD per game.

I vote for the run, early and often. F this 'he should be able to run on 16 carries'. Maybe, but not when those runs are spread out over many drives. How does a back get a consistant rythm that way?

But if we don't run? Then max protect and keep everyone back, send Moulds, and Reed until they stop them. We don't have a line that can only keep 5 back without TE help with blocking. Not against NE.

RedEyE
10-27-2005, 08:24 PM
Just another example of how the coaches aren't doing their jobs. Freaking players are protesting the play calling. What next? The towel boy starts to complain about the kind of detergent he's allowed to use?