X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Evans has solution for Bills: Just air it out

Wide receiver Lee Evans could not provide a definitive solution, but he did offer a potential starting point in the search for one.
    As the Bills' second-year wide receiver was sitting in front of his locker stall dressing for practice Wednesday, the topic of conversation turned to Buffalo's pop-gun passing game and what can be done to establish a more viable downfield attack in the coming weeks, starting Sunday night in New England.
    "Just throw it up there and see what happens," said Evans, a speed burner who is Buffalo's lone deep threat. more
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!
  • Jeff1220
    H to the 12:20
    • Jul 2002

Re: Evans has solution for Bills: Just air it out

Didn't Ralph have a suggestion (more of a warning actually) just like this last year before the Bills went on a tear?

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

Kind of surprising, a wide receiver wanting the ball thrown more. I bet McGahee would suggest more running plays.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Pride
        • Jul 2002

Honestly, over the past couple of weeks, it isnt our offense that has sputtered... it is our defense. We've been able to move the ball with KH... but the problem is, we cant win in a shoot out. Our defense is the problem right now, not the offense.

If our defense doenst get anybetter, we will have to air it out, just to try to compete (just like the Rams and Colts had to do when their D's sucked)

Comment

• HHURRICANE
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Pride
          Honestly, over the past couple of weeks, it isnt our offense that has sputtered... it is our defense. We've been able to move the ball with KH... but the problem is, we cant win in a shoot out. Our defense is the problem right now, not the offense.

If our defense doenst get anybetter, we will have to air it out, just to try to compete (just like the Rams and Colts had to do when their D's sucked)
          Hmmm. I usually agree with your points, but not on this one. I agree our D has been horrible but KH is a 400+ yard per game QB. Have we had any QB this year throw for more than 158 yards? That is ridiculous. Clements needs to be shot. Where is Evans? I have not seen Evans since the home opener where we were throwing downfield and JP looked good. Every game this year we have had a second half melt down. MM is obviously not an offensive genius. The irony here is we hired him over other canidates because we needed offense.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

one major flaw in the "just throw it downfield" strategy: In order to throw it long, the QB has to take his drop, look up to see if the long pass is there, and still have enough room around him to perform a complete throwing motion. This takes at least 2-3 seconds.

Our o-line is so bad at pass blocking that they can't provide that kind of time against most of the defenses we play.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• madness
              • Apr 2003

Isn't Holcomb's arm suspect for the air it out strategy?

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by madness
                Isn't Holcomb's arm suspect for the air it out strategy?
                I've heard that, but he does have multiple 400 yard games in limited action, and that was in Cleveland, so it's not like he had Moss- or Owens- quality receivers. He must be able tog et at least some air under the ball
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• JD
                  Sabres Zone
                  • Sep 2003

Just keep pounding McGahee up the god damn middle!!!! He can't dance his way to the outside...we can't block good enough for that to happen. Run McGahee, keep throwing screens and air it out on occasion for the long ball...I think if we have Parrish in as a reciever, teams will be pressed to double cover him because of his speed...thus opening up chances for the other receivers in Moulds and Evans.
                  “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• juice
                    • Aug 2003

Teams will never have to double cover Parrish because of his size, especially not the Pats since he's yet to catch anything but a punt.

The Pats will load the middle to stop WM and make the Bills prove they can protect the QB long enough go deep to Evans or Moulds.. until the Bills can show a deep threat, stopping the run game will be the priority.

Originally posted by JD SabreFan
                    Just keep pounding McGahee up the god damn middle!!!! He can't dance his way to the outside...we can't block good enough for that to happen. Run McGahee, keep throwing screens and air it out on occasion for the long ball...I think if we have Parrish in as a reciever, teams will be pressed to double cover him because of his speed...thus opening up chances for the other receivers in Moulds and Evans.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

I agree with Juice- Parrish may end up being a weapon, but he hasn't shown anything yet. There is no way in hell the Pats double-cover a 5'7" rookie receiver coming off an injury.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by juice
                        Teams will never have to double cover Parrish because of his size, especially not the Pats since he's yet to catch anything but a punt.

The Pats will load the middle to stop WM and make the Bills prove they can protect the QB long enough go deep to Evans or Moulds.. until the Bills can show a deep threat, stopping the run game will be the priority.
                        agreed. That's exactly how opponents stopped Henry and Bledsoe in 2003 and the first part of 2004. And until our O-line shows some blocking ability for the run and protection ability for the pass, it will keep happening.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• colin
                          Drew's my hero!
                          • Jul 2002

our play calling is crap.

we don't even call play action, that is terrible.

one thing the raiders did against us is ran medium to deep plays with the WR cutting out the corner. this was designed to exploit our blitzing, going right into the soft part of the field quickly. you'd think we would try a single play like that.

our plays are short passes, but are VERY slow to develop, we need some more aggressive lower percentage type plays, and some GD play action.

i really think clements is a poor coordinator.

Comment

• BAM
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                            Have we had any QB this year throw for more than 158 yards? That is ridiculous.
                            Losman threw for 170 in the opener. I believe Holcomb's high is 172.

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by colin
                              our play calling is crap.
                              we don't even call play action, that is terrible.
                              I agree play action would help, but two things:
                              1. If the defense doesn't buy it, it's just one more thing to take time before the QB has to throw, thus putting more pressure on our suspect o-line.
                              2. Play action fakes only work if you're running the ball well. And our coaching staff gives up on McGahee waaaay too early.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X