PDA

View Full Version : 10 years and here we are

X-Era
10-27-2005, 07:01 AM
As a fan of football, I must admit I enjoy watching players rise to a level of dominance. Its fun to see them become the top players at their game. Furthermore, we get to root for them each week. We get to make statements like, "Kelly is gonna throw all over the field on ya". We get to watch our top players dominate each and every week.

I remember the days when we could look at the stats and have a few of our players be in the top 10 of their categories. It may seem silly but to me its representative of a team made up of players who are at the top of their game. Its the team that wins, yes. But, many times its your big players making big plays that change the tempo or flat out win games for you. I remember the days when I could see Kelly top 5 in yards and TD's, Reed top 5 in yards and TD's, Thomas top 5 in yards, and Smith top 5 in sacks.

Well, its been 10 years and I feel strongly that we havent been able to go to the stats and see 3 of our players as top 10 a single time in the past 10 years. To me that speaks volumes about the character of the supposed leaders on this squad, the front offices lack of commitment to getting the top players it needs, and the lack of putting it all together or using the best plays for your best players.

Its been 10+ years and Im still waiting. It will take some serious moves to get us in this situation. Every year there are top 10 players out there to be had, but our GM decides to try to go the cheap route instead. Well, you get what ya pay for. I can promise you that if we had a top 5 QB, RB, and WR like Indy, we would NOT be 3 and 4 right now. Furthermore, many said they were too lopsided and had no D. Well, a guy by the name of Corey Simon a top 10 DT in this league came available. We simply said "We think highly of Ron Edwards", Indy said lets go get a top 10 player. They did it and are undefeated. Obviously its more complicated than this but it speaks to a commitment to have top 5 players, still manage the cap, and be willing to add more top players to make a deeep run. This is something that THIS team is simply NOT commited to.

Its a game of put up or shut up and our bargain basement moves at head coach, and on this roster have left us in the basement whne it comes to production. Guess what, it shows when you look at the league leader boards. IMO, the translation of a lack of players in the league leader boards is lots of losses.

So, at this point, I have just about no one other than Willis to root for as an individual. Sure I can try to talk smack about other players but in the game of put up or shut up, the rest of our players cant be found on page 1 of the leader boards so it feels like Im rooting for Mr. Irrelevant. On top of all this we just plain arent a good team.

Well, If your building a car, and you get a inexperinced guy to be your foreman. Then, you get a bunch of cheap parts. Does anyone really want to trust that car on a long run?