PDA

View Full Version : If I were an NFL coach……..

Patrick76777
10-28-2005, 07:53 AM
……going into the season I’d have my team focused on one goal! Winning the division. It’s so easy to get distracted by Indy going 7-0 or the teams that will be fighting for the wild card.

But the fact remains, you win the division, not only do you get into the playoffs, you get a home game in the playoffs. And what does it take to win the division? Just being better than 3 other teams.

That should be the only goal! The division games should hold so much more importance.

Fans starting thinking, “we can’t win the superbowl so who cares” Which is BS.

The only goal should be grabbing that division title. Once that’s reached you can move on to the next goal, which is securing a first round bye and then Home field. After that, your goals are winning playoff games one at a time.

It seems that we forgot what the main goal should be. Hell people around here were happy in week one because our wild card competition had lost. Maybe this happened because NE has been so good for the last few years that we see winning a division title as being impossible. Maybe we just have relaxed standards. But just a few years back in 2002, the Jets won the division at 9-7. We haven’t won the division since I believe 1997 or something.

And now here we are, 7 weeks into the season and we’re a half game behind the division lead. The Jets and Dolphins look terrible and have basically no chance at winning it. So it’s a 2-team race for 1 playoff spot, a playoff spot that guarantees a home game. It’s Buffalo and a New England team that lost a ton in the off-season and has been ravished by injuries.

But because we looked bad on a west coast game in Oakland, our season is over! Makes sense!

This is a huge game for us. And I’ll even go so far as to say that even if we don’t win, we still have a chance! While we’re on our bye, NE gets Indy. Even if they beat us, they’ll most likely be 4-4 after 8, which will put us 1 game behind them with 8 to go. We can get that game back by beating them here! Add on wins against Miami and NY and 5-1 in the division could give us a nice tiebreaker.

And save the talk about run defenses and bad coaching. 90% of the teams in the league have those same or different problems.

The King
10-28-2005, 08:01 AM
Great Points Pat, but you're right. I think for a lot of people its hard seeing a division title because NE has been so dominant. I really like your vision though. I think to a team setting the goal of being better than three teams is a lot easier to swallow than looking at it in the big picture sense. I would be very curious to know how many coaches work with this mentality.

good posting.

Pride
10-28-2005, 08:01 AM
Good point! :up:

OpIv37
10-28-2005, 08:07 AM

But because we looked bad on a west coast game in Oakland, our season is over! Makes sense!

Two problems with this-
1. If we do somehow miraculously win the division, what have you seen from this team that makes you think they can beat Pittsburgh, Indy, Cincinnatti, San Diego, Dever or any of the other likely playoff teams.

2. Actually, we've looked bad in 5 of 7 games. The Dolphins spotted us 17 and came back to make a game out of it, and in the 4 losses we just looked pathetic. Not just bad. Pathetic. If we can't keep the Saints or Raiders from running the ball, how are we supposed to shut down the Pats, Chargers and Broncos?

Patrick76777
10-28-2005, 08:22 AM
Two problems with this-
1. If we do somehow miraculously win the division, what have you seen from this team that makes you think they can beat Pittsburgh, Indy, Cincinnatti, San Diego, Dever or any of the other likely playoff teams.

Exactly my point!

1 goal! Just 1 goal! Don’t think about anything else. Just winning that division. When you do that, you turn your sights on the next goal.

mysticsoto
10-28-2005, 08:31 AM
Exactly my point!

1 goal! Just 1 goal! Don’t think about anything else. Just winning that division. When you do that, you turn your sights on the next goal.

Except that it might look that simple on the outside, but a coach would be looking at multiple things on the inside. The Oline needs to block well. The QB needs to execute fast and know the plays, read defenses, etc. The RBs need to know the scheme to either run or stay in and block and pick up blitzers. TEs need to know whether they go out and catch or stay in and block - again, depending on the defense being shown, the play changes. And that's just offense. The defense needs to do the same. The Dline needs to know whether they are going to charge after the QB or maintain themselves in lanes to prevent a runner from getting through. LBs - are they going to blitz, help cover pass, or wait to help against the run? CBs - blitz or cover? Man-to-man or zone? Or some variation thereof? Safeties? Are you blitzing or covering?

It looks simple to say we are going to focus on 1 goal - but it is not something a team can do when you are on the inside. That's why teams typically say, we are focused on this next game and nothing else - 1 game at a time. They never say one goal of winning and nothing else. 1 game. And 1 game involves quite a bit. But if the NFL were easy - anybody that has the physical attributes would be able to play...it takes more than muscle and size or any guy that works out would be in the NFL.

Patrick76777
10-28-2005, 08:34 AM
Except that it might look that simple on the outside, but a coach would be looking at multiple things on the inside. The Oline needs to block well. The QB needs to execute fast and know the plays, read defenses, etc. The RBs need to know the scheme to either run or stay in and block and pick up blitzers. TEs need to know whether they go out and catch or stay in and block - again, depending on the defense being shown, the play changes. And that's just offense. The defense needs to do the same. The Dline needs to know whether they are going to charge after the QB or maintain themselves in lanes to prevent a runner from getting through. LBs - are they going to blitz, help cover pass, or wait to help against the run? CBs - blitz or cover? Man-to-man or zone? Or some variation thereof? Safeties? Are you blitzing or covering?

It looks simple to say we are going to focus on 1 goal - but it is not something a team can do when you are on the inside. That's why teams typically say, we are focused on this next game and nothing else - 1 game at a time. They never say one goal of winning and nothing else. 1 game. And 1 game involves quite a bit. But if the NFL were easy - anybody that has the physical attributes would be able to play...it takes more than muscle and size or any guy that works out would be in the NFL.

Mys my man, give me more credit then that! I’m talking in a sports cliché, mental approach to the season type of way. Of course game to game preparations is much more extensive.

We’re talking about 2 things here.

HHURRICANE
10-28-2005, 08:50 AM
Pat, this is a good post but your wrong.

Yes, the goal at the start of every season is to get to the playoffs, and hopefully win a SB. However, at what expense to your future. Last year we ran with Bledsoe the whole season because we had a chance to make the playoffs which did not happen. Most agree that if JP had not been hurt he would have got his starts and who knows what this team might be like right now. Now we are sacrificng another year of JP's development and what if we end up at 9-7 or 8-8 and miss the playoffs again. Another season wasted.

At some point you need to figure out what we have. All great teams come from the bowels of hell. Look at Dallas, the 80-90's Bills. Look at the teams on this rise Cincy, SD, Tampa and without a doubt the Giants. We have been stuck in mediocrity for years now. Let's cut bait and be realistic on building a real team!!

Patrick76777
10-28-2005, 09:06 AM
Pat, this is a good post but your wrong.

Yes, the goal at the start of every season is to get to the playoffs, and hopefully win a SB. However, at what expense to your future. Last year we ran with Bledsoe the whole season because we had a chance to make the playoffs which did not happen. Most agree that if JP had not been hurt he would have got his starts and who knows what this team might be like right now. Now we are sacrificng another year of JP's development and what if we end up at 9-7 or 8-8 and miss the playoffs again. Another season wasted.

At some point you need to figure out what we have. All great teams come from the bowels of hell. Look at Dallas, the 80-90's Bills. Look at the teams on this rise Cincy, SD, Tampa and without a doubt the Giants. We have been stuck in mediocrity for years now. Let's cut bait and be realistic on building a real team!!
Well what if you’re wrong and the real way to do it is to develop a winning attitude for the franchise? Maybe gain a little playoff seasoning for your team?

There’s no manual to building a perfect football teams. If Drew Bledsoe doesn’t get hit by Mo Lewis, Tom Brady is still on the bench, Bill Belichek was fired and the Patriots don’t win a single Superbowl. Sometimes you’ve just got to go for it when you get the chance.

HHURRICANE
10-28-2005, 09:16 AM
Well what if you’re wrong and the real way to do it is to develop a winning attitude for the franchise? Maybe gain a little playoff seasoning for your team?

There’s no manual to building a perfect football teams. If Drew Bledsoe doesn’t get hit by Mo Lewis, Tom Brady is still on the bench, Bill Belichek was fired and the Patriots don’t win a single Superbowl. Sometimes you’ve just got to go for it when you get the chance.

Reply: NY Giants. Coughlin took a team that could have made the playoffs last year and put the rookie in. It cost him the season but look what is going on now. The kid is night and day from last year. And the team is believing.

Patrick76777
10-28-2005, 09:23 AM
Reply: NY Giants. Coughlin took a team that could have made the playoffs last year and put the rookie in. It cost him the season but look what is going on now. The kid is night and day from last year. And the team is believing.
Very true, but he was a Manning! And he was the first overall pick in the draft! And he’s a slam-dunk prospect. There was just about no doubt that he would do great things in the NFL.

Our situation is slightly different.

And let’s not change this into a QB issue. I’m not talking about that. I’m talking about what the goal should be. If it be with JP or Kelly or Shane, so be it.

Typ0
10-28-2005, 04:46 PM
the goal at the beginning of the season has got to be securing homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. Winning the division is only a stop along the way of the main goal playing the regular season.

mysticsoto
10-28-2005, 07:50 PM
Mys my man, give me more credit then that! I’m talking in a sports cliché, mental approach to the season type of way. Of course game to game preparations is much more extensive.

We’re talking about 2 things here.

Well, my apologies then for not giving you enough credit, but...sports cliche/mental approach for whom? The fan? B'cse the players and coaches can't focus on that goal as you list it - they have to focus on 1 game at a time and what they have to do for that game to win - which is virtually what every team tries to do...

YardRat
10-28-2005, 08:00 PM
My goal would be winning the first game, as a coach.

As a GM, my goal would be to build a team in the off-season that can win the division.

footballhottie
10-28-2005, 08:31 PM
……going into the season I’d have my team focused on one goal! Winning the division. It’s so easy to get distracted by Indy going 7-0 or the teams that will be fighting for the wild card.

But the fact remains, you win the division, not only do you get into the playoffs, you get a home game in the playoffs. And what does it take to win the division? Just being better than 3 other teams.

That should be the only goal! The division games should hold so much more importance.

The only goal should be grabbing that division title. Once that’s reached you can move on to the next goal, which is securing a first round bye and then Home field. After that, your goals are winning playoff games one at a time.

It seems that we forgot what the main goal should be. Hell people around here were happy in week one because our wild card competition had lost. Maybe this happened because NE has been so good for the last few years that we see winning a division title as being impossible. Maybe we just have relaxed standards. But just a few years back in 2002, the Jets won the division at 9-7. We haven’t won the division since I believe 1997 or something.

And now here we are, 7 weeks into the season and we’re a half game behind the division lead. The Jets and Dolphins look terrible and have basically no chance at winning it. So it’s a 2-team race for 1 playoff spot, a playoff spot that guarantees a home game. It’s Buffalo and a New England team that lost a ton in the off-season and has been ravished by injuries.

This is a huge game for us. And I’ll even go so far as to say that even if we don’t win, we still have a chance! While we’re on our bye, NE gets Indy. Even if they beat us, they’ll most likely be 4-4 after 8, which will put us 1 game behind them with 8 to go. We can get that game back by beating them here! Add on wins against Miami and NY and 5-1 in the division could give us a nice tiebreaker.

And save the talk about run defenses and bad coaching. 90% of the teams in the league have those same or different problems. lol your right

Patrick76777
10-29-2005, 08:12 AM
Well, my apologies then for not giving you enough credit, but...sports cliche/mental approach for whom? The fan? B'cse the players and coaches can't focus on that goal as you list it - they have to focus on 1 game at a time and what they have to do for that game to win - which is virtually what every team tries to do...

That's funny because I got the theory from Marv Levy. He was pretty good.

You're not grasping the concept at all. Must not be too bright.

justasportsfan
10-29-2005, 09:34 AM
I would do it the way BB does it. Stop listening to what the media has to say about your team except when they blast you (great motivation material). Concentrate on the team you are facingthat week. Forget where you are at the standings.As far as I would be concerned, we are 0-0 and the game that week is a must win situation.
The only time you celebrate a win is the evening of the game. The next day it's ALL BUSINESS. No matter how much the media and fans praise you after a great performance, you still suck until you win the sb.

Lexwhat
10-29-2005, 03:55 PM
I would do it the way BB does it. Stop listening to what the media has to say about your team except when they blast you (great motivation material). Concentrate on the team you are facingthat week. Forget where you are at the standings.As far as I would be concerned, we are 0-0 and the game that week is a must win situation.
The only time you celebrate a win is the evening of the game. The next day it's ALL BUSINESS. No matter how much the media and fans praise you after a great performance, you still suck until you win the sb.

This is true. BB never lets things go to his head. Even after a super-bowl win, he and the team always have the "unfinished business" approach. We should be so lucky to have the same.

By the way, in response to the first post, I kind of see what you mean with the winning the division attitude. But, isnt your situation analogous to the one the Rams and Seahawks had last year? Both of those teams were fighting for the division. But, everyone knew that neither of them were going anywhere once the playoffs started. The Rams pathetic defense would never get them to the super bowl. The Seahawks were too inconsistent. The Rams, as they are now, will not reach the super bowl. Absolutely no chance. But the Rams could win their division.

Now, tlakin about the Bills. There's a possibility that we could win our division. But does anyone honestly think it'll even matter? The Colts would destroy us in every way possible. The Steelers, Broncos, Bengals, Chargers, would just run the ball all day and have a good time doin it. IMO, even if we reach the playoffs, we wont go anywhere with the way we are playing now. Without a run defense, a team cant win in the playoffs (unless the team is an offensive juggernaut - obviously we're not). I dunno if we can fix it.

To be honest, I could care less if we won the division or were a wild card. I want to see good defense and good offensive play-calling. When that happens, I know we'll have a much better chance to win on any given Sunday.