PDA

View Full Version : Forked Thread: I am now officially opposed to re-signing Clements

Pride
10-28-2005, 02:25 PM
Forked from: McGee & Bills agree to extension (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=1219008)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2206788

Now that McGee is signed long term... drop clements and sign a stud DT or DE. No point in having 2 stud corners without a pass rush and/or run stuffer.

As far as I am concerned... let nate walk after this season.

Novacane
10-28-2005, 02:32 PM
don't let him walk. tag him and trade him

Pride
10-28-2005, 02:33 PM
I'm down with that :up:

The King
10-28-2005, 02:39 PM
smell ya later Nate.

OpIv37
10-28-2005, 02:47 PM
you're nuts. McGee is not the same type of shut-down corner Clements is. If he leaves, we will need to replace him. This D is in deep ****.

Pride
10-28-2005, 03:00 PM
I agree that McGee isnt as good... but maybe they said...

We can pay 4 mil to McGee or 9 to Clements.

That is a 5 Mil difference, which hopefully they spend at DT/DE!?!

TacklingDummy
10-28-2005, 03:00 PM
you're nuts. McGee is not the same type of shut-down corner Clements is. If he leaves, we will need to replace him. This D is in deep ****.

I agree.

If Nate leaves and then McGee becomes the #1 CB on the Bills, you all will be calling for his head next year.

LtBillsFan66
10-28-2005, 03:04 PM
The reason I'm happy about the signing is to keep McGee as a kick returner! I don't want to see Nate go.

LtBillsFan66
10-28-2005, 03:04 PM
Go for nothing that is. Tag and trade would be ok depending on what we get for him.

Lexwhat
10-28-2005, 03:16 PM
I agree that McGee isnt as good... but maybe they said...

We can pay 4 mil to McGee or 9 to Clements.

That is a 5 Mil difference, which hopefully they spend at DT/DE!?!

I agree with you about perhaps not signing Nate long term. However, we would need to have a big CB take his place. McGee won't be able to cover the more physical and larger WRs in the league, Just my opinion though.

As for signing a DE, I highly doubt it. Our DEs are about average, and maybe Schoebel is above average. Not like a Peppers or Freeney obviously, but he's not bad.

An elite DE would cost as much to sign as it would to sign Nate long term. I would be real surprised if we signed an elite DE. An elite DT, on the other hand, is cheaper and more of a possibility. I would favor the signing of an elite DT (Don't know who is available) and another DT that would provide excellent depth.

Let's see how it goes

Dozerdog
10-28-2005, 05:37 PM
Yeah- let's have one of our best defenders walk in hopes that we can lure someone here.

It would be one thing if NC tries to price himself out of a Bills uniform, but letting the guy go just so we can hope a top DE/DL guy chooses Buffalo is foolishness.

Do we even know who/what is out there?

OpIv37
10-28-2005, 05:39 PM
The reason I'm happy about the signing is to keep McGee as a kick returner! I don't want to see Nate go.

agreed- I'm happy with the signing- I'm just afraid TD will use it as an excuse to let Nate go.

DynaPaul
10-29-2005, 07:46 AM
I'd like to keep Nate but he's gonna have to come down on his asking price. He hasn't been playing like the "top corner" this year so why should he be paid like it? It's imperative that we maintain the strength of our secondary since the defensive line isn't generating enough pressure. If we could sign a bonafide killer defensive lineman that might make his loss tolerable but where are we going to get one?

X-Era
10-29-2005, 08:16 AM
Forked from: McGee & Bills agree to extension (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=1219008)

Now that McGee is signed long term... drop clements and sign a stud DT or DE. No point in having 2 stud corners without a pass rush and/or run stuffer.

As far as I am concerned... let nate walk after this season.

How in the hell did we all forget the mess that was Chris Watson so fast?

Seriously, you want to trade one problem for another?

NO!!! This is TDs time to start IMPROVING the team, not just shuffling around the strengths.

Resign Clements or a comparable CB AND a stud DT. If you have to let some overpaid vets go to do it, FINE!!!!

Heres my list of top guys who are overpaid at this point:

Moulds
M Williams
Milloy
Fletcher

Replace some of those guys with draft picks.

DynaPaul
10-29-2005, 08:19 AM
How in the hell did we all forget the mess that was Chris Watson so fast?

Seriously, you want to trade one problem for another?

NO!!! This is TDs time to start IMPROVING the team, not just shuffling around the strengths.

Resign Clements or a comparable CB AND a stud DT. If you have to let some overpaid vets go to do it, FINE!!!!

Heres my list of top guys who are overpaid at this point:

Moulds
M Williams
Milloy
Fletcher

Replace some of those guys with draft picks.

No way Fletcher is overpaid, he's a consistent player. Williams and Milloy are definitely over paid though. I agree that we need to improve and not just shuffle around. If we could get some money by having Milloy or Williams restructure or get cut then we could spend more on both lines which is what we REALLY need.

X-Era
10-29-2005, 08:32 AM
No way Fletcher is overpaid, he's a consistent player. Williams and Milloy are definitely over paid though. I agree that we need to improve and not just shuffle around. If we could get some money by having Milloy or Williams restructure or get cut then we could spend more on both lines which is what we REALLY need.

There is no way that my list of player who are getting paid too much wont have at least one response with, "no way (insert player name here) is getting paid too much, look at what hes done". Everyone has a favorite. I completely understand that.

But, we cant argue with the fact that the team isnt good enough. It needs to divest itself of some of the high paid guys who dont have lots of sustainable upside and replace them with guys who do. That is, guys who are better right now AND can get even better in the future! Thats how we UPGRADE this teams overall talent.

Yes, both lines need help. But what they DONT need is the next Jerman, Tucker, Price, or Anderson.

They needed guys like Corey Simon, Damien Woody, Joe Andruzzi, Mike Wahle. All these guys were out there but we went the cheap route instead. I dont want to hear the arguement, "we just dont have the cap to do that". Indy proves it can be done, if its being mismanaged right now, make the changes to get it back under control.

What wuould this teams fortunes have been if we let Pat go but signed Corey Simon? Anybody think we would STILL have been torched up the middle by all these running backs? I dont.

Mr. Miyagi
10-29-2005, 08:54 AM
This whole idea of letting Clements walk because we now have McGee long term reminds me of another team.

Three years ago there was a Bills player named Peerless Price. He was catching 1000 yards and 9 TDs as the #2 receiver, and appeared to be a great player. The Atlanta Falcons believed that and paid big bucks for him to be the #1 go-to guy. Lo and behold, the awesome looking #2 stank up the joint as the #1 guy. They then realized the only reason he looked so good was because he WAS the #2 guy. The Falcons ended up having to spend the next 2 years of high draft picks to replace him at that position, and eventually let him go.

Let's not be hasty and be the Atlanta Falcons in that regard. :miyagi: