PDA

View Full Version : Judge backs lawsuit, halts pat-downs at Bucs games

Michael82
10-28-2005, 09:04 PM
A judge on Thursday sided with a high school civics teacher who sued to stop security "pat-downs" at Tampa Bay Buccaneers games.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Florida filed a lawsuit Oct. 13 on behalf of Bucs season ticket-holder Gordon Johnston. It sought to stop Raymond James Stadium officials from conducting the "suspicionless" searches that began last month after the NFL implemented enhanced security at stadiums throughout the league.

Circuit Judge Perry Little agreed with Johnston Thursday, issuing a temporary injunction stopping the searches until the lawsuit is resolved. The next Bucs home game is Nov. 6.

The NFL said in a statement it was "disappointed" by the decision, but hadn't had a chance to review the court's opinion.

"Pat-downs at other NFL stadiums should not be affected by this ruling," the statement said. "We believe these limited screenings are reasonable and important to the protection of our fans."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2205960

footballhottie
10-28-2005, 09:08 PM
Thats BS...pat downs are a good idea

Michael82
10-28-2005, 09:08 PM
Thats BS...pat downs are a good idea
You just like being felt up. :snicker:

footballhottie
10-28-2005, 09:13 PM
i like knowing there isnt a bomb in the stadium

Dr. Lecter
10-28-2005, 09:21 PM
I like being felt up on my way into the stadium!

bills&sabresmvf
10-28-2005, 09:46 PM
If they feel that's necessary that's fine, but seriously all this security is ridiculous in this country, land of the free baby!

RedEyE
10-28-2005, 09:55 PM
It's people like that that are the first to start screaming "Where's the federal response? Wheres the federal response?", when half of Bucs stadium is blown to shreds. Idiot!!

bills&sabresmvf
10-28-2005, 09:56 PM
Are you ****ing kidding me??

The_Philster
10-29-2005, 05:14 AM
Stupid :down:

Meathead
10-29-2005, 06:05 AM
it only means the arguments will get their day in court

you never know what will happen but my guess is the searches will end up being allowed

with all the individual liberties being whittled away after 9/11 i'm glad we're at least starting to think of the consequences. this is america after all, at least it used to be

DynaPaul
10-29-2005, 07:37 AM
Honestly, they're less concerned about security and more concerned about you bringing in videocameras, alcohol, and food. Wouldn't want to lose any money at the concession stand!

Michael82
10-29-2005, 07:47 AM
Honestly, they're less concerned about security and more concerned about you bringing in videocameras, alcohol, and food. Wouldn't want to lose any money at the concession stand!
That's my thoughts. It has less to do with security, and more to do with controlling the other stuff. If it was all about security, it would have happened right after 9-11. It never did. They realized all the beer cans, food and other things that peoplke snuck in and decided to make it mandatory at all stadiums. :sigh:

G. Host
10-29-2005, 10:30 AM

Yep you got it right. Silly things like not allowing clear backpacks make it obvious that is regarding $$$$ not security. Why they can sell the same item inside that they do not allow through the gates.

Michael82
10-30-2005, 08:32 AM
Yep you got it right. Silly things like not allowing clear backpacks make it obvious that is regarding $$$$ not security. Why they can sell the same item inside that they do not allow through the gates.
Exactly!