PDA

View Full Version : FLASHBACK: Check out all the players we passed up to draft Pussyfoot Williams!

lordofgun
10-31-2005, 09:12 AM
<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>1. <TD>Houston <TD>David Carr <TD>QB <TD>Fresno State</TD></TR><TR><TD>2. <TD>Carolina <TD>Julius Peppers <TD>DE <TD>North Carolina </TD></TR><TR><TD>3. <TD>Detroit <TD>Joey Harrington <TD>QB <TD>Oregon </TD></TR><TR><TD>4. <TD>Buffalo <TD>Mike Williams <TD>OT <TD>Texas </TD></TR><TR><TD>5. <TD>San Diego <TD>Quentin Jammer <TD>CB <TD>Texas </TD></TR><TR><TD>6. <TD>Kansas City (from Dallas) <TD>Ryan Sims <TD>DT <TD>North Carolina </TD></TR><TR><TD>7. <TD>Minnesota <TD>Bryant McKinnie <TD>OT <TD>Miami (Fla)</TD></TR><TR><TD>8. <TD>Dallas (from Kansas City) <TD>Roy Williams <TD>SS <TD>Oklahoma </TD></TR><TR><TD>9. <TD>Jacksonville <TD>John Henderson <TD>DT <TD>Tennessee </TD></TR><TR><TD>10. <TD>Cincinnati <TD>Levi Jones <TD>OT <TD>Arizona State </TD></TR><TR><TD>11. <TD>Indianapolis <TD>Dwight Freeney <TD>DE <TD>Syracuse </TD></TR><TR><TD>12. <TD>Arizona <TD>Wendell Bryant <TD>DT <TD>Wisconsin </TD></TR><TR><TD>13. <TD>New Orleans <TD>Donte Stallworth <TD>WR <TD>Tennessee </TD></TR><TR><TD>14. <TD>NY Giants (from Tennessee) <TD>Jeremy Shockey <TD>TE <TD>Miami (Fla) </TD></TR><TR><TD>15. <TD>Tennessee (from NY Giants) <TD>Albert Haynesworth <TD>DT <TD>Tennessee</TD></TR><TR><TD>16. <TD>Cleveland <TD>William Green <TD>RB <TD>Boston College </TD></TR><TR><TD>17. <TD>Oakland (from Atlanta) <TD>Phillip Buchanon <TD>CB <TD>Miami (Fla)</TD></TR><TR><TD>18. <TD>Atlanta (from Washington through Oakland) <TD>T.J. Duckett <TD>RB <TD>Michigan State </TD></TR><TR><TD>19. <TD>Denver <TD>Ashley Lelie <TD>WR <TD>Hawaii </TD></TR><TR><TD>20. <TD>Green Bay (from Seattle) <TD>Javon Walker <TD>WR <TD>Florida State </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>21. <TD>New England (from Tampa Bay through Oakland and Washington) <TD>Daniel Graham <TD>TE <TD>Colorado </TD></TR><TR><TD>22. <TD>NY Jets <TD>Bryan Thomas <TD>DE <TD>Alabama-Birmingham </TD></TR><TR><TD>23. <TD>Oakland <TD>Napolean Harris <TD>OLB <TD>Northwestern </TD></TR><TR><TD>24. <TD>Baltimore <TD>Edward Reed <TD>S <TD>Miami (FLA)</TD></TR><TR><TD>25. <TD>New Orleans (from Miami) <TD>Charles Grant <TD>DE <TD>Georgia </TD></TR><TR><TD>26. <TD>Philadelphia <TD>Lito Sheppard <TD>CB <TD>Florida </TD></TR><TR><TD>27. <TD>San Francisco <TD>Mike Rumph <TD>CB <TD>Miami (Fla) </TD></TR><TR><TD>28. <TD>Seattle (from Green Bay) <TD>Jerramy Stevens <TD>TE <TD>Washington </TD></TR><TR><TD>29. <TD>Chicago <TD>Marc Colombo <TD>OT <TD>Boston College </TD></TR><TR><TD>30. <TD>Pittsburgh <TD>Kendall Simmons <TD>OG <TD>Auburn </TD></TR><TR><TD>31. <TD>St. Louis <TD>Robert Thomas <TD>MLB <TD>UCLA </TD></TR><TR><TD>32. <TD>Washington (from New England) <TD>Patrick Ramsey <TD>QB <TD>Tulane </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Devin
10-31-2005, 09:19 AM
*sigh*

LtBillsFan66
10-31-2005, 09:25 AM
Jesus Christ.

lordofgun
10-31-2005, 09:25 AM
Oh, and then we grabbed:

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>4(36) <TD>Buffalo <TD>Josh Reed <TD>WR <TD>Louisiana State</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

LtBillsFan66
10-31-2005, 09:26 AM
Coy Wire too, right?

Pride
10-31-2005, 09:26 AM
Hindsight is 20/20.

Everyone I know was thrilled we took Big Mike! Dwight Freeney is the only player I can say "DAMNIT" about! But who knew?!?!

Michael82
10-31-2005, 09:28 AM
:::

ParanoidAndroid
10-31-2005, 09:28 AM
That was a very good draft for defense.

As for Williams....Who knew?

That was our biggest need and most everyone felt we made the right pick.

Freeney is the only one that makes me cringe because we needed DE help just as bad.

Just another example of Buffalo's bad luck.

Gunzlingr
10-31-2005, 09:29 AM
There are quite a few of them I would still have passed on, McKinney being one of them.

lordofgun
10-31-2005, 09:34 AM
The guy just isn't mean enough to be an NFL player. That was pretty apparent from the beginning!

He's a wuss!

The King
10-31-2005, 09:36 AM
Ed Reed sucks...

I am glad we got Pussyfoot.

Michael82
10-31-2005, 09:36 AM
There are quite a few of them I would still have passed on, McKinney being one of them.
that was the only other one that the Bills might have taken. With the #4 pick of the draft, either way it was going to be a very expensive contract. It just turned out to be bad for Buffalo. If only the Bills lost to Carolina in the season, then they could have gotten Julius Peppers. :sigh:

Mr. Miyagi
10-31-2005, 09:41 AM
Again, we were going to draft a OT anyway, building the team around Drew at the time. :ill:

colin
10-31-2005, 09:45 AM
williams still has a chance to be a very good tackle for us, although he gets hurt too damn much.

the thing about that draft is more than half of it was busts.

mckinny is worse than williams, levi jones was a reach at 10th overall, but is decent (still not as talanted as williams)

carr harrington jammer sims and mckinny are all between busts to hoping to be average.

a trade down and grabbing freeney and reed would have made us fricken huge, although as said above losing to carolina and grabbing peppers would have been enough for me.

camelcowboy
10-31-2005, 09:52 AM
Im so glad we passed on Freeny, Roy Williams, Jeremy Shockey, Kendell Simmons, and Ed Reed. All were postions we needed at the time.

Michael82
10-31-2005, 09:55 AM
Again, we were going to draft a OT anyway, building the team around Drew at the time. :ill:
and the funny thing is...the same people that ***** about TD not doing anything about the Offensive line are the same people telling us that it was a dumb move to draft Mike Williams. They could have gotten better talent. :rofl:

Tinboy
10-31-2005, 09:57 AM
Shockey is the one I would have liked to see as a Bill

The King
10-31-2005, 10:01 AM
NFL's #1 Replica

MikeInRoch
10-31-2005, 10:41 AM
levi jones was a reach at 10th overall, but is decent

I disagree. Levi has been excellent for Cincinnati, and has turned out to be the class of that draft at OT.

mysticsoto
10-31-2005, 10:57 AM
and the funny thing is...the same people that ***** about TD not doing anything about the Offensive line are the same people telling us that it was a dumb move to draft Mike Williams. They could have gotten better talent. :rofl:

:bf1: Exactly!!!

The King
10-31-2005, 11:12 AM

Its the GM's job to make the decision of need/talent. Tackle was a position of need yes. But was meeting the need and missing the talent the right choice.

Thats the dudes job. Is it easy, nope. Its fair to say he botched that pick. Hindsight is 20/20.

Jan Reimers
10-31-2005, 11:16 AM
You're right, Mikey - there is always great danger in taking O linemen in the first round. Sometimes - does the name Tony Mandarich ring a bell? - you just get burned.

AndreReed83
10-31-2005, 01:32 PM
The only one that I wish we would have taken instead is Freeney. Outside of him, a lot of those guys seem to be struggling just to make it in the league. Roy Williams is just like Milloy with WORSE coverage skills. Shockey would have been nice, but would he have honestly made this team a playoff contender? 23 other teams missed out on Reed. Most of that list is pretty lackluster.

Mr. Cynical
10-31-2005, 01:55 PM
I don't blame him for the pick. I blame him for what he's done with MW since then. As soon as it was apparent he couldn't play LT, he should have dealt him, cut him, whatever. Keeping him at RT for this long has been a mess and yet another black mark on TD's already tarnished record.

finsrclowns
10-31-2005, 02:23 PM
Im so glad we passed on Freeny, Roy Williams, Jeremy Shockey, Kendell Simmons, and Ed Reed. All were postions we needed at the time.

You could do this "what if" thing with every draft. I remember the Colts were accused of making a "reach" for Dwight Freeney because he was considered undersized for the NFL. Look at that 1st round carefully and you'll see more misses than hits. Williams and McKinney were both considered excellent prospects. Neither has really panned out. But I was happy with the pick at the time.

Mitchy moo
10-31-2005, 02:27 PM

Jeremy Shockey- he upsets me the most, we really haven't had a great TE sincce pete Metz........ He saved our bacon many a day in the early 90's!

Dozerdog
11-02-2005, 07:47 AM
Half that list has panned out about as well as Williams, another large chunk were CB's (we had two #1 picks starting aleady).

There are a couple of DL guys that we really could use- but we also were desperate for OL.

We picked one of the highest rated guys at our biggest need. Unfortunately Big Mike hasn't dominated.

Dozerdog
11-02-2005, 07:50 AM
I don't blame him for the pick. I blame him for what he's done with MW since then. As soon as it was apparent he couldn't play LT, he should have dealt him, cut him, whatever. Keeping him at RT for this long has been a mess and yet another black mark on TD's already tarnished record.

It's impossible to deal an underperforming top 5 draft pick, or even cutting them. Picks are slotted as far as contracts go, and releasing / dumping them would have been cap prohibitive.

Nice solution, if you don't account for reality.

Dozerdog
11-02-2005, 08:07 AM
Bad :mad:

Average :::

Good picks :D

Outstanding picks :up:

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>1. <TD>Houston <TD>:mad: David Carr <TD>QB <TD>Fresno State</TD></TR><TR><TD>2. <TD>Carolina <TD>:up: Julius Peppers <TD>DE <TD>North Carolina </TD></TR><TR><TD>3. <TD>Detroit <TD>:mad: Joey Harrington <TD>QB <TD>Oregon </TD></TR><TR><TD>4. <TD>Buffalo <TD>::: Mike Williams <TD>OT <TD>Texas </TD></TR><TR><TD>5. <TD>San Diego <TD>:D Quentin Jammer <TD>CB <TD>Texas </TD></TR><TR><TD>6. <TD>Kansas City (from Dallas) <TD>::: Ryan Sims <TD>DT <TD>North Carolina </TD></TR><TR><TD>7. <TD>Minnesota <TD>::: Bryant McKinnie <TD>OT <TD>Miami (Fla)</TD></TR><TR><TD>8. <TD>Dallas (from Kansas City) <TD>::: Roy Williams <TD>SS <TD>Oklahoma </TD></TR><TR><TD>9. <TD>Jacksonville <TD>:D John Henderson <TD>DT <TD>Tennessee </TD></TR><TR><TD>10. <TD>Cincinnati <TD>:D Levi Jones <TD>OT <TD>Arizona State </TD></TR><TR><TD>11. <TD>Indianapolis <TD>:up: Dwight Freeney <TD>DE <TD>Syracuse </TD></TR><TR><TD>12. <TD>Arizona <TD>::: Wendell Bryant <TD>DT <TD>Wisconsin </TD></TR><TR><TD>13. <TD>New Orleans <TD>::: Donte Stallworth <TD>WR <TD>Tennessee </TD></TR><TR><TD>14. <TD>NY Giants (from Tennessee) <TD>:up: Jeremy Shockey <TD>TE <TD>Miami (Fla) </TD></TR><TR><TD>15. <TD>Tennessee (from NY Giants) <TD>:D Albert Haynesworth <TD>DT <TD>Tennessee</TD></TR><TR><TD>16. <TD>Cleveland <TD>:mad: William Green <TD>RB <TD>Boston College </TD></TR><TR><TD>17. <TD>Oakland (from Atlanta) <TD>:D Phillip Buchanon <TD>CB <TD>Miami (Fla)</TD></TR><TR><TD>18. <TD>Atlanta (from Washington through Oakland) <TD>:D T.J. Duckett <TD>RB <TD>Michigan State </TD></TR><TR><TD>19. <TD>Denver <TD>::: Ashley Lelie <TD>WR <TD>Hawaii </TD></TR><TR><TD>20. <TD>Green Bay (from Seattle) <TD>:up: Javon Walker <TD>WR <TD>Florida State </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>21. <TD>New England (from Tampa Bay through Oakland and Washington) <TD>::: Daniel Graham <TD>TE <TD>Colorado </TD></TR><TR><TD>22. <TD>NY Jets <TD>::: Bryan Thomas <TD>DE <TD>Alabama-Birmingham </TD></TR><TR><TD>23. <TD>Oakland <TD>:D Napolean Harris <TD>OLB <TD>Northwestern </TD></TR><TR><TD>24. <TD>Baltimore <TD>:up: Edward Reed <TD>S <TD>Miami (FLA)</TD></TR><TR><TD>25. <TD>New Orleans (from Miami) <TD>:D Charles Grant <TD>DE <TD>Georgia </TD></TR><TR><TD>26. <TD>Philadelphia <TD>:D Lito Sheppard <TD>CB <TD>Florida </TD></TR><TR><TD>27. <TD>San Francisco <TD>::: Mike Rumph <TD>CB <TD>Miami (Fla) </TD></TR><TR><TD>28. <TD>Seattle (from Green Bay) <TD>:mad: Jerramy Stevens <TD>TE <TD>Washington </TD></TR><TR><TD>29. <TD>Chicago <TD>:mad: Marc Colombo <TD>OT <TD>Boston College </TD></TR><TR><TD>30. <TD>Pittsburgh <TD>:D Kendall Simmons <TD>OG <TD>Auburn </TD></TR><TR><TD>31. <TD>St. Louis <TD>:mad: Robert Thomas <TD>MLB <TD>UCLA </TD></TR><TR><TD>32. <TD>Washington (from New England) <TD>::: Patrick Ramsey <TD>QB <TD>Tulane </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Gunzlingr
11-02-2005, 08:13 AM
I definitely wouldn't call McKinney a good pick. He isn't any better than Williams.

Dozerdog
11-02-2005, 08:22 AM
I'll buy that

The King
11-02-2005, 08:27 AM
I think Lelie is better than average. I also dont think its far to tag Carr with bust. He has played behind a line worse than ours since he was drafted.

gr8slayer
11-02-2005, 10:22 AM
Damn. Jeremy Shocky would be great in a Bills uniform.

Mr. Cynical
11-02-2005, 10:27 AM
It's impossible to deal an underperforming top 5 draft pick, or even cutting them. Picks are slotted as far as contracts go, and releasing / dumping them would have been cap prohibitive.

Nice solution, if you don't account for reality.

And the solution we have now is an extremely overpaid, fat, slow RT on a line that is the team's biggest weakness. That makes sense.

Oh well. It just moves TD one inch closer to the door.

MikeInRoch
11-02-2005, 10:30 AM
As good as Peppers was at first - he hasn't done a whole lot this season.