PDA

View Full Version : Draft McGahee ????

NC-BILLS44
01-14-2003, 12:08 PM
I wonder where Willis McGahee will be drafted? Someone will take him, but who and when? Does anyone think the Bills have any interest in a rehabbing RB? IMHO, 4th or 5th rounder. That may change depending on what his doctors say.

THATHURMANATOR
01-14-2003, 12:15 PM
We have to many other needs(Rb not being one of them) to select a running back that just totally blew his knee out.

The Natrix
01-14-2003, 12:21 PM
nah, I think that Travis Henry guy is pretty good

lordofgun
01-14-2003, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't mind taking a late-round flyer on him if he falls that far. One wrong cut by Travis Henry and we're in deep trouble. I'd really like to see us add a capable second back.

Ebenezer
01-14-2003, 12:24 PM
He still has college eligibilty...he will not come out in this draft...his knee is a wreck...he has no draft value right now...he will probably red shirt and play in 2004...this is a mute point.

Michael82
01-14-2003, 12:29 PM
EB...he declared! He declared for the draft. :rolleyes:

I don't know why...but he did.

lordofgun
01-14-2003, 12:30 PM
Yep Eb, he's already coming out. I think it's stupid, but he is. Supposedly the doctors have told him that he should be ready by the beginning of the upcoming season.

Ebenezer
01-14-2003, 12:32 PM
OK, it's not mute...nobody will draft him and we have Henry...he's stupid for listening to somebody...

lordofgun
01-14-2003, 12:34 PM
Someone's gonna draft him. I'll lay all my ZoneBucks on it.

The Natrix
01-14-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
I wouldn't mind taking a late-round flyer on him if he falls that far. One wrong cut by Travis Henry and we're in deep trouble. I'd really like to see us add a capable second back.

I agree, however I think WM would be the wrong choice, because if he recovers (I think he will) he will expect to be a starter.

....although he would be good trade bait

HenryRules
01-14-2003, 12:35 PM
I love Henry, but do believe we need to get another running back ... not a high-round draft choice, but we have to be the only team in the league that gives 99+% of its carries to one player. We need someone else who can give us about 3 or 4 carries a game.

I'd like us to go for a big fatty of an RB ... someone like Dayne or Bettis (but obviously nowhere near as good) for short yardage situations as Gilbride doesn't seem to have any confidence in giving Henry the ball in short yardage situations.

clumping platelets
After Travis Henry, we have UFA Bryson, RFA Morris, Burns

That's it........doesn't hurt to take a late round, say 6th or 7th, flyer on him.

don137
He declared because multiple Drs said he would be ready by the start of the season. He may be a back up in Miami next year so he won't get to test his knee much in game situations and his insurance policy states something like he can collect his $2.5 million if after 4 games he determines he can not play. This way he may collect a signing bonus, dedicate rehabbing his knee full time and be able to test the knee in preseason.
Since TD took Josh Reed when there wasn't a need I think the Bills could draft him IF he falls to where TD thinks he is a bargain. Many times GM's draft best available players and not areas of weaknesses. They use post June 1 cuts to fill weaknesses with a cheap veteran if needed.

NC-BILLS44
01-14-2003, 12:53 PM
Sounds like a good approach. It worked when they scooped up Reed. WM is only a sophomore, probably 19, 20 years old. When a team picks him, they probably shouldn't expect any returns on their investment until at the earliest, mid season. If the draft position is right, I think Buffalo should get him.

Our greatest needs should be filled via free agency. (DT, LB, DE)

SoCalBillsFan
01-14-2003, 12:58 PM
i bet that on many message boards of many teams today there is a thread like this one. I htin a lot of GMs are probably thinking the same thing, which is why I doubt we'll get him. I bet some team in dire need of RB help will scoop him up in rd three, and everyone will be surprised he went so early

don137
01-14-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by SoCalBillsFan
i bet that on many message boards of many teams today there is a thread like this one. I htin a lot of GMs are probably thinking the same thing, which is why I doubt we'll get him. I bet some team in dire need of RB help will scoop him up in rd three, and everyone will be surprised he went so early

I could see that happening in Big D. Jones tells Parcells to draft this guy. Actually I believe Parcells took Curtis Martin in the 3rd round after Martin hurt his knee his senior year.

The Natrix
01-14-2003, 01:04 PM
If he never got injured, where would he be projected to be taken?

NC-BILLS44
01-14-2003, 01:05 PM
Sounds like the pick for Quincy Carter, ala Jerry Jones, draft someone too early.

don137
01-14-2003, 01:06 PM
He was projected to be the top RB in the draft. I believe he would of gone in the top 5-10 spots.
Remember that Thurman hurt his knee in college and his stock dropped him to the second round. He turned out as a decnt player for the Bills.

SoCalBillsFan
01-14-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix
If he never got injured, where would he be projected to be taken?

first round for sure, probably a lottery pick

SABURZFAN
01-14-2003, 01:10 PM
i think he'd be a wasted pick.what if he doesn't recover from the injury?it's not automatic that he'll be the same or close to when/if he gets back.

The Natrix
01-14-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN
i think he'd be a wasted pick.what if he doesn't recover from the injury?

But what if he does recover? Then it would be a genious pick.

I would call it a risky pick, not a wasted pick

What if Moorman punted it out of bounds at the half yard line when GW elected to kick it from the 32 on 4th and two?

I am thinking he won't fall past the mid third. Someone with an older RB, who isn't completely washed up but is getting close, will take him. Maybe Pitts?

Captain gameboy
01-14-2003, 01:26 PM
I'll bet he'll be examined by 32 Dr's before the draft. I'm shocked anyone thinks he'll be ready by the start of the season. That was a viscious hit with a lot of damage. He's a gamble and he's very young. In our circumstance, I wouldn't take him till the fourth round, and he'll never make it that long.

NC-BILLS44
01-14-2003, 01:27 PM
WM is a redshirt sophomore, so its like he declared for the draft after his junior year. Then, if he can rehab properly, (one year) he would be 22, without a year of bumps and bruises, but healthy and ready to go.

jdbillsfan
01-14-2003, 01:29 PM
There are a lot of teams that need RB help and would be willing to draft the best running back in college this year. I would be surprised if he lasted past the 3rd round, which means Buffalo wouldn't draft him. If he slipped to round 4 or 5, then it is worth a chance.

Patriots, Cowboys, Raiders, Lions etc. I am sure would be interested. I think it might hurt him to that Ohio State shut him down.

He woulda been a top 10 pick easy.

Bulldog
01-14-2003, 01:43 PM
I think that the injury suffered by WM was alot more serious than people realize. There have been backs in the NFL that have struggled to recover from either a blown MCL or ACL, much less both of them at the same time.

WM may turn out to be a steady situational back, much like Robert Edwards. IMO he will never be a dominant back like he was in college. Pretty sad too because the guy had the stuff to be great.

Buffalo should only take a shot on hime if it is somewhere in round 5 at the earliest.

Earthquake Enyart
01-14-2003, 03:01 PM
I can't believe he's coming out. The only thing I can think of is that if he renounces his eligibility, he can collect on some insurance policy (most guys that are projected to be high draft picks go get some insurance for injuries like this) that will get him a better surgeon, rather than one Miami would get for him.

don137
01-14-2003, 03:29 PM
I thought I heard Clinton Portis say on the Dan Patrick show last week that WM hurt his knee in high school as well so this is his second major knee injury...

Tatonka
01-14-2003, 03:36 PM
WM did the right thing. there are alot of good rbs at miami. he wasnt even sposed to be the starter this year, but the starter hurt his knee. there is a very real possibility that he may not get time even if he stays in school and tries to come back.

also.. the reports on him are not that he will be ready by the beginning of this season. i havent read a single one that said that. who ever drafts him will be looking to 2004, as he will most definately be put on IR. he completely tore his ACL and MCL folks.. this is not just an edgerine james partial tear, and look what that did to him.

look at it this way. his insurance policy states that if it is determined in ONE YEAR after the day of the accident that he will not play football then he gets to collect his 2.5 million. but it is not like he gets to collect it and it is his for good. IF he is able to play football again, say, a year later, then he will owe that money back to them.

so... he made the decision to come out. and i think it was right. IF he was to stay, he may not fully recover, and never play again. that means he wont get drafted, and no money for him past his insurance.

IF he comes out, at least he will get, oh, lets say, at least 300k-ish, and figures out that he is not healing well, he still has that money, no matter what. AND he gets to work out in a top notch professional facility, as opposed to a college program facility.

i also dont think that he will be taken as high as many of you are speculating. i say he goes in the second day no matter what. possibly as low as the 5-7 th rounds.

ps.. i would take him in a heart beat.

Ebenezer
01-14-2003, 04:13 PM
If McGahee can't start at Miami next year because of the competition then what makes him think he can make it in the NFL after blowing out his knee?

MelK
01-14-2003, 04:19 PM
His situation is way to volitile to predict right now.

Any number of things can happen.

BTW- he claims to be not collecting on his $2.5 million insurance policy.Here is a link to the injury replay- don't look if you are squeemish. (http://home.wi.rr.com/aggybong/mcgahee.wmv)

Tatonka
01-14-2003, 06:47 PM
well considering that the last three to come out of miami are all in the nfl and 1 is edge and the other is portis, i think that the competition at RB in miami is about nfl level, wouldnt you?

dolfan25
01-14-2003, 07:22 PM
Knee injuries aren't nearly the issue they used to be. The consensus seems to be that an NFL RB takes 2 years to come back from a serious knee injury. He'll be put on IR for 1 year and then play.

Look at guys like Terry Allen, he ran for over 1000 yds. after numerous knee injuries. Edjerrin will be expected to be his old self next year. Almost every analyst says that you need 2 years.

Plus it gives him a year of earning power and gets him to Free Agency a year quicker. Everything seems to be about maximum earning nowadays. Every year at College for elite athletes is a wasted year in their and their agent's minds. Look at LeBron James I hear he's driving a Hummer to high school now.

BADTHINGSMAN
01-14-2003, 10:50 PM
Lebron James is also in trouble for accepting the Hummer. Heard that on ESPN the other night.

It could go either way for Mgahee. He could be back by next year. Or he could play a game blow his knee out again and be co-producer for the Jam-Session.

Terrell Davis and Jamal Anderson are finished. Is it really worth putting all the time and money into a player who could possibly never play again?

Tatonka
01-14-2003, 10:51 PM
who the hell is lebron james?

BADTHINGSMAN
01-14-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
who the hell is lebron james?

Lebron James plays HS basketball. Isnt going to college but straight to the NBA. Thinks he is the next Kobe Bryant. But is wrapped up in possibly getting a ton of money. He is starting to become a money player instead of game player.

Tatonka
01-15-2003, 08:28 AM
i have never heard of basketball... can someone explain this game to me?

lordofgun
01-15-2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i have never heard of basketball... can someone explain this game to me?

:lol: Sounds boring to me!

Earthquake Enyart
01-15-2003, 08:35 AM
Talk to Eb. He loves hoop action.