PDA

View Full Version : parrish

frank74
10-31-2005, 03:43 PM
i still don't understand why parrish was returning punts last night. he hasn't played a regular season game yet, he was most likely not conditioned as well as he should have been since he was nursing a broken wrist, and mcgee is clearly a better return man at this point in the season. to me, another less than intelligent move by the coaching staff. didn't make sense at all last night, and still doesn't right now.

The_Philster
10-31-2005, 03:47 PM
McGee doesn't usually return punts..I think you meant Nate...and I agree to an extent. I want to see Parrish in the return game but I would've liked to have seen him work into it more slowly...throwing him out there brand new on National TV against the world champs wasn't a good move.

bills&sabresmvf
10-31-2005, 03:48 PM
Was it me or did he not seem as fast as everyone thought?

OpIv37
10-31-2005, 03:48 PM
it's called protecting your investment. McGee just signed a huge contract. But I agree- Parrish's inexperience hurt us, and while he did make positive yardage out of that last play, his running in circles took precious seconds off the clock. He's a rookie who has had limited practice time and should not have been back there.

OpIv37
10-31-2005, 03:49 PM
I think Phil's right about clements. Either way, Parrish shouldn't have been back there. We have plenty of guys who can return punts.

OpIv37
10-31-2005, 03:50 PM
agreed. Maybe he was just timid since it was his first real pro action, besides on e or two plays last week where he wasn't really involved.

ParanoidAndroid
10-31-2005, 03:54 PM
He is built to return kicks and is possibly the most elusive player we have. He was returning punts in camp and in his short preseason. So when do you get him in there returning? Also, what has Clements done this year returning punts that is so special? Averaging just over 7 yards with a long of 13? There's absolutely nothing wrong with that "move."

I'm sure Parrish is fine as far as conditioning goes.

frank74
10-31-2005, 03:54 PM
yes, i did mean clements not mcgee even though i would rather have mcgee returning punts than anyone else; the bottom line was a lousy decision by the bills by starting an inexperienced rookie. and no, he did not look that fast at all.

zone
10-31-2005, 04:41 PM
Parrish has the ability to break a big one at any time and if he took it to the house on that return, everyone would be saying how brilent MM is.

zone
10-31-2005, 04:49 PM
Parrish has the ability to break a big one at any time and if he took it to the house on that return, everyone would be saying how brilent MM is.

Typ0
10-31-2005, 05:03 PM

but since he didn't even catch the ball and then ran vertical MM looks like a moron.

dannyek71
10-31-2005, 05:43 PM
i think he looked pretty quick on that reverse he took back across the field

chernobylwraiths
10-31-2005, 07:31 PM
Amazing. I remember just a few weeks ago how a bunch of zoners couldn't wait to get the great Roscoe Parrish back there to return punts and help out the offense because he was what was missing. YAC. He did virtually nothing last night and now it is all "we should have worked him in more slowly". Can't please everybody.

frank74
11-01-2005, 10:31 AM
the post really has nothing to do with your opinion of what zoners thought weeks ago, it has to do with poor decision-making on the part of the bills. so, in essence, can't please everybody.

justasportsfan
11-01-2005, 10:34 AM
Just like everyone who thinks we should develop JP, maybe it's time to develop Parrish. Clements may be gone next year.

frank74
11-01-2005, 10:40 AM
clements may definitely be gone next year and developing parrish is a good idea, but choosing to designate him as our punt returner when he hadn't played one regular season game yet and starting him against the pats just wasn't a wise move.

BAM
11-01-2005, 10:59 AM
He is built to return kicks and is possibly the most elusive player we have. He was returning punts in camp and in his short preseason. So when do you get him in there returning? Also, what has Clements done this year returning punts that is so special? Averaging just over 7 yards with a long of 13? There's absolutely nothing wrong with that "move."

I'm sure Parrish is fine as far as conditioning goes.

I agree. IMO he has had plenty of time (even more than he really needed) to prepare for the game and I was happy to see him in there returning punts.

gr8slayer
11-01-2005, 12:11 PM
Funny you mention that cause I was thinking the same thing.

doomsdayvirus
11-01-2005, 12:36 PM

it looked to me as though he was a bit nervous and maybe trying a little too hard to make a big play. he seemed to be falling over his own legs on that one run late in the game. that can happen pretty easily when you have some butterflies.

i think the coaching staff just wanted to throw him in the water to see if he could swim. IMO he kept his head above the water but we're going to have to give him a little more real game experience before being able to accurately judge his performance.

one thing that i did notice is that he seemed ridiculously small compared to the other guys out there. he's the same height as me and only 10lbs heavier. i can't imagine being that guy and playing in the NFL. he seemed to have trouble breaking tackles and fighting forward.

jmb1099
11-01-2005, 01:41 PM
Maybe not the best move, and I know no one is saying this (yet), but Parish didn't cost us the game. He was nervous, but to say he wasn't that quick or fast, I'm not so sure I'm ready to say that. He was elusive and the potential was there. Plus he needs time to adjust to the speed of the game. It was a very critical game so the timing does seem a bit suspect, but it had to happen some time. Oh...so far he appears to be fairly sure handed as well. Only time will tell.

doomsdayvirus
11-01-2005, 03:01 PM
Maybe not the best move, and I know no one is saying this (yet), but Parish didn't cost us the game. He was nervous, but to say he wasn't that quick or fast, I'm not so sure I'm ready to say that. He was elusive and the potential was there. Plus he needs time to adjust to the speed of the game. It was a very critical game so the timing does seem a bit suspect, but it had to happen some time. Oh...so far he appears to be fairly sure handed as well. Only time will tell.

he definitely didn't have a negative impact on the game. to blame him for the loss would be ludicrous.

he really wasn't in all that much, but they tried to get him to pull off a lot of cutesy plays, instead of just the run-of-the-mill stuff. maybe that wa pushing it. maybe it was the whole "element of surprise" thing, or maybe the coaches were just excited to have a new toy to play with, who knows?

i'm all for giving him a fair shot at this point, he seems to be making a respectable effort.

frank74
11-02-2005, 11:52 AM
one last thing about parrish that seems rather important to me. the fact that he was out of position on one of his returns where he didn't catch the ball and it bounced down to the five yard line. that to me is a crucial mistake in a division game for 1st.