PDA

View Full Version : predict the Bills regular season record

The Natrix
01-14-2003, 02:00 PM
I know that there is a lot of off season moves left to be made, but I think it would be interesting to have this poll now, and then again right before the opening game.

The poll before this past season was dead on, with 8-8 getting the most votes.

I am going to say 10-6. A very good 10-6 though. I think there will be 3 games where Blesoe will try to do to much and these games will result in disasterous (is that a word?) losses kind of like the GB game. Another 3 losses where the Bills play solid but simply get outplayed by a better team.

I am going to give the division to the Jets. I think the Bills will be the 5th or 6th seed.

I think this team is good enough to make a SB run if they can get in the playoffs and can get a couple breaks and not have the refs screw us. I just don't see us marching in to the playoffs with a 13-3 or 14-2 record.

So as of right now, I'm going to say 10-6, however anything from 9-7 to 12-4 would not come as a surprise

As a Bills Fan, I have never been this excited about an upcoming season! I think I may break down and get season tix.

HenryRules
01-14-2003, 02:13 PM
Do you know who we're playing yet? Strength of schedule can make a difference of a couple of games.

The Natrix
01-14-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
Do you know who we're playing yet? Strength of schedule can make a difference of a couple of games.

With so much parody in the NFL, who knows how any of those teams will be playing when the Bills face them?

What looks like a tough schedule now may turn out to be an average one early next season (for example, I could see the Giants s#%ting the bed next season).

4thAndLong
01-14-2003, 02:51 PM
I'm gonna go out on the limb and say 11-5....

Novacane
01-14-2003, 03:01 PM
19-0

4thAndLong
01-14-2003, 03:20 PM
I would love that...

Wonder what the Dolphin fans would say about the 72 dolphins? :D

Ebenezer
01-14-2003, 03:22 PM
Guys...it's a little early...wait until 9/1/03

4thAndLong
01-14-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix
I know that there is a lot of off season moves left to be made, but I think it would be interesting to have this poll now, and then again right before the opening game.

Originally posted by Ebenezer
Guys...it's a little early...wait until 9/1/03

We know it's early, but this is kind of what we'll all expect to be done this offseason..

northernbillfan
01-14-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules

2003 Sked (http://buffalobills.com/team/index.cfm?cont_id=155192)

I'd say 10-6 or 11-5. we need at least a two game improvement over this past season, for me to be pleased with the direction the team is going in.

Mr. Miyagi
01-14-2003, 04:42 PM
I'm very surprised that some of our "much less optimistic" posters, *cough* you know who, have not voted 6-10 twice and 2-14 under "others" a couple more times.

Where are the extreme pessimists when you're looking for them???

HenryRules
01-14-2003, 05:01 PM
I say 11-5 ... I think we should be looking at 7-1 or 8-0 at home and 4-4 on the road. There are some tough games at home, but I think we're ready to get back to the days where games at the Ralph were automatic W's.

Cntrygal
01-14-2003, 06:26 PM
I'll wait and vote by preseason.

Aero II
01-14-2003, 06:29 PM
Unitll we loose one, I say 19-0

Typ0
01-14-2003, 07:15 PM
Running the table would be the greatest thing to happen in our lifetime compared to anything. That would be the most awesome thing. WOW that's really a thought...LOL.

The Natrix
01-14-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Typ0
Running the table would be the greatest thing to happen in our lifetime compared to anything. That would be the most awesome thing. WOW that's really a thought...LOL.

I would have to cancel whatever.....and get a hotel in B-lo for at least two nights and just party it up downtown

WG
01-15-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by BillsFanStuckInWisc
I'm very surprised that some of our "much less optimistic" posters, *cough* you know who, have not voted 6-10 twice and 2-14 under "others" a couple more times.

Where are the extreme pessimists when you're looking for them???

Posting from the doctor's office are we...?

:D

The Natrix
01-15-2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

Posting from the doctor's office are we...?

Nope. Just as I do, I think he wants to know what you think.

So what do you think, ol' wise one?

TigerJ
01-15-2003, 08:11 AM
The Natrix: "With so much parody in the NFL, who knows how any of those teams will be playing when the Bills face them?"

I thought it was the NHL that was doing a parody of major league sports. Sorry, I couldn't resist. I know The Natrix meant "parity."

WG
01-15-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by The Natrix

Nope. Just as I do, I think he wants to know what you think.

So what do you think, ol' wise one?

I know, but I tend not to respond to condescention. ;)

Well, at this point, there are 5 others who are just as "pessimistic" as I am, assuming that I'm in the running for the #1 "pessimist" that BFSIW was referring to. There are 3 others who appear to be more pessimistic than I am.

I will say 10-6. I see us being 2-4 division again and losing to Philly at least. Tennessee will be a tough game as well as they are another team managing their cap well and toughing out the issues and improving.

Our D played great these past 10 games overall and I'm expecting a continuation of that w/ only solid, not nominal if at all, upgrades to our DL. The crux of the Ds problems was the DL as I suggested it would be at the onset of the season. We'll address that by finding a pass rusher and a good DT. I hope.

If our D is among the top 10, the we may do better on the merits of D. Henry I suspect will still fumble, but only 4-6 times and hopefully only 2 or 3 lost. Our OL will be one of the top 5 OLs in the league next season. Price will be gone but who cares. Reed will step in and play better and more consistently w/o all the costly penalties.

Drew will play as he always has. I know you're going to argue, so you don't have to, it's assumed that you and everyone else vehemently disagree w/ me. But he'll have a horrible game against Philly. Horrible. He'll struggle against the AFC East just as he always has. Presumably we won't face Miami twice w/ Fiedler out and w/ half or all of their starting WRs out as well. We may luck out w/ some injuries to N.E. or the Jets.

Teams that suck that we should have no trouble beating are Cincy and Jax, maybe Washington depending upon their offseason moves.

Teams in that mid-range, K.C., Tennessee, Giants, Colts, Texans, and Dallas. Of those only the Colts and Texans are at home.

K.C. should improve, Tennessee may or may not, but they're good enough to beat us on the road. Giants, who knows, but they can generate a great pass rush when they want. Colts should improve defensively again and have Freeney who should be better and be able to pressure Drew into making errors. Houston, if they can get an OL or two, should be vastly improved w/ Carr in his second season, Gaffney, and Wells and a great D. They almost beat us this year as did Detroit, Chicago, and Minnesota.

So 2-4 division, 0-1 v. Philly, 3-0 v. Cincy, Jax, Wash. = 5-5

Of the other 6 games, I'd expect 4-2 or 3-3 but I'm hopeful of 5-1 for 10-6 overall.

I will caveat that with the statement that if Drew gets a much more nominal # of attempts, ie., we aren't defined by our passing game again, then we may fare better. If Henry runs better than he did this year in terms of yardage and # of carries, then the D will perform better and we may win a couple more games on ball-control. But if we go to the air more than 60% of the time like we did this season, then 10-6 at best, possibly 9-7 or even 8-8 again. Too many game changing mistakes when we/Drew goes to the air too much.

Again, I know you disagree w/ that, so no need to tell me how "pessimistic" I am. I'm very high on our D, higher than most, I like Henry so much that I think the O ought to design their game plan around him. I like our coaches where they are w/ Gilbride being the QB coach and not the O.C. I'm very optimistic that we'll have another good draft in spite of not having a first round pick and that we'll make some moves in FAcy that will help this team tremendously. In everyone's mind however, just b/c I think Drew is tremendously overrated, I am pessimistic. So be it!

GO BILLS!!!

WG
01-15-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by TigerJ
The Natrix: "With so much parody in the NFL, who knows how any of those teams will be playing when the Bills face them?"

I thought it was the NHL that was doing a parody of major league sports. Sorry, I couldn't resist. I know The Natrix meant "parity."

I think it's safe to say we know how Cincy will be playing...

THATHURMANATOR
01-15-2003, 09:21 AM
Not bad Wys. I also agree that if Drew has less attempts that means we are running a more balanced offense and it won't all be on Bledsoe's shoulders, and as long as TH holds onto the ball it should be a good thing.

WG
01-15-2003, 09:26 AM
It didn't have to be "all on his shoulders" this season. There were several games where Henry was running just fine, as a matter of fact, more than just fine, great. Yet, we didn't give him the ball and it cost us games or almost cost us games. That's what I'm talking about.

See: K.C., S.D., G.B., N.E., Jets games

So again, much of that is "choice." Will we favor passing over rushing, or not. No one knows, not even the shadow, until next season...

Even then, it only takes one pass out of 24 to throw the game away often.

The Natrix
01-15-2003, 10:37 AM
I agree Wys. Drew needs to realize that he is no more important to the offense than anyone else. In fact, I would consider him the weak link. You stated, and I agree that the OL will be top 5. I would also like to say that I think Moulds/Reed/Whoever will be a top five group (#1, hands down, if Price stays) and Henry may be a top 5. However, Bledsoe is not a top ten QB.

I think it is realistic to expect a top 10 D, but a top 5 is not out of the question. If this is the case, then Drew Bledsoe will be the weak link on the team. I actually don't have a problem with the QB being the weak link as long as he makes some big plays in BIG GAMES.

TigerJ
01-15-2003, 01:33 PM
Now for my serious post. I think 11-5 is possible, given an upgrade in a couple position coach areas additional free agent additions. I think P. Price may be lost to free agency, but The Bills may have already signed nearly as much value as they will be losing in Price (Marcus Jones) and I think TD has at least two or three more moves up his sleeve, including hopefully one major one. I also choose to be optimistic that DB and Kevin Gilbride will be able to put their heads together and tweak the offensive system enough to make it less vulnerable to the late season weather conditions and the adjustments that opponents made. Buffalo wasn't that far from several more wins this past season either. Their schedule next season is no picnic, but then our schedule this past year was supposed to be the toughest in the league, but it didn't turn out that way.