PDA

View Full Version : Something has to be done right now..

mchurchfie
11-01-2005, 04:27 PM
About this alarming trend of running backs and backup rbs ripping off 10 yards at a time on our defense. This is inexcusable and a total embarrassment to the Buffalo tradition of always having solid defenses. We're talking about basic football here...stopping the run!! Wrapping up and tackling!! **** this bigplay defense...the only big plays are against us. With a bi-week coming it time to start cleaning house. Fire Jerry Gray, pull London Fletcher (standby for all of the Fletcher homer responses:crap: )and fatass Sam Adams and put somebody...ANYBODY in there who wants to play the WHOLE game and who can stop the run. Maybe now is a good time to start implementing a 3-4. Time to send a message to some of the underachievers on this team! Gray is a moron, he keeps sending the same blitzes and keeps getting smoked. What is a real travesty is when you have about 9 men in the box and the RB still rips off 20 yards or the QB escapes for a first down and then some. This is TOTAL bull**** and I totally disrespect Mularkey for not having enough balls to put an end to this crap. Something needs to be changed and changed now...this is a very FLAWED defense and defensive philosophy. It is also a good time to put JP back in to start learning the position. There is NO WAY that this defense will hold up enough to take us to the playoffs...they are a freakin joke, so why not start getting ready for next year right now. :rage: :rage:

OpIv37
11-01-2005, 04:51 PM
well as far as the run D-

1. It starts when Williams left. Blame TD for not replacing him
2. It got worse when Takeo went down- this was just bad ****ing luck
3. Don't forget that TD is a big fan of these undersized "motor" DE's so that's all we have on the roster
4. Last year Justin Bannan was wasting time playing tackle and TE in goal-line situations instead of learning to be a d-lineman
5. the coaches pulled Sam Adams against NE. Why? I don't know. So our D-line was Bannan, Sape, Kelsay and Denney- UGGGH. That's both a personnel and a coaching problem.

I agree something needs to be done, but at this point what options do we have with this **** roster?

ArcticWildMan
11-01-2005, 05:00 PM
Watching the game, each time we got burned for a big gain it was because the LB's over pursued and left gaping holes for Pass and Dillon to cut through. Gray needs to have the LB's quit the stunting and blitzing and have them just sit back and be patient and cover the gaps.

mchurchfie
11-01-2005, 05:04 PM
Excellent points!!:bf1:

RedEyE
11-01-2005, 05:11 PM
Watching the game, each time we got burned for a big gain it was because the LB's over pursued and left gaping holes for Pass and Dillon to cut through. Gray needs to have the LB's quit the stunting and blitzing and have them just sit back and be patient and cover the gaps.

That;s exactly what I've noticed as well. While over pursuing is not helping the D, it's not a bad thing either. At least they are penetrating the line. They need to be more patient and focused and the rest will click in.

mchurchfie
11-01-2005, 09:32 PM
That;s exactly what I've noticed as well. While over pursuing is not helping the D, it's not a bad thing either. At least they are penetrating the line. They need to be more patient and focused and the rest will click in.
They need to open up their eyes and watch the ball exchange instead of blasting past the RB blindy and they need someone to teach them basic tackling techniques, because whomever is doing it now ISN'T getting the job done.

vicmantak
11-01-2005, 11:09 PM
If something has to be done right now it might start with TOM CLEMENTS.
Mike Mularkey commited his first big mistake when he considered Clements ahead of Sam Wyche.

The_Philster
11-02-2005, 05:10 AM
If something has to be done right now it might start with TOM CLEMENTS.
Mike Mularkey commited his first big mistake when he considered Clements ahead of Sam Wyche.
I don't believe Wyche had any interest in being anything more than a QB coach with his health and all

Meathead
11-02-2005, 05:46 AM
Well this is only the second year for these guys (MM & TC) so I'm willing to give them another season at least.

Granted, this season has been a disaster and shows they probably made some big mistakes in their calls on Bledsoe/JP and Edwards/Williams. But they've also had some pretty huge injuries (TKO, MW, CV, Edwards).

Next season the Bills should have some decent cap room to fix the lines. They'll still have most of the skill positions covered next season so they can concentrate on the trenches (assuming they've finally woken up on this). I'm hoping they put in JP soon so they can rip off a string of losses while he gets ready, setting them up for better picks in next year's stacked draft.

It really blows that we have to be talking about this at mid-season, but s**t happens. I just hope they don't compound the error by sticking with Holcomb too long in what definitely appears to be a futile effort to make the playoffs.

McBFLO
11-02-2005, 07:43 AM
About this alarming trend of running backs and backup rbs ripping off 10 yards at a time on our defense. This is inexcusable and a total embarrassment to the Buffalo tradition of always having solid defenses. We're talking about basic football here...stopping the run!! Wrapping up and tackling!! **** this bigplay defense...the only big plays are against us. With a bi-week coming it time to start cleaning house. Fire Jerry Gray, pull London Fletcher (standby for all of the Fletcher homer responses:crap: )and fatass Sam Adams and put somebody...ANYBODY in there who wants to play the WHOLE game and who can stop the run. Maybe now is a good time to start implementing a 3-4. Time to send a message to some of the underachievers on this team! Gray is a moron, he keeps sending the same blitzes and keeps getting smoked. What is a real travesty is when you have about 9 men in the box and the RB still rips off 20 yards or the QB escapes for a first down and then some. This is TOTAL bull**** and I totally disrespect Mularkey for not having enough balls to put an end to this crap. Something needs to be changed and changed now...this is a very FLAWED defense and defensive philosophy. It is also a good time to put JP back in to start learning the position. There is NO WAY that this defense will hold up enough to take us to the playoffs...they are a freakin joke, so why not start getting ready for next year right now. :rage: :rage:

Was Jerry Gray a moron last year or the year before when the Bills D was dominating? Firing Gray would be a terrible move. I think he's had a rough year, but so has everyone on the D-side of the ball. You want to pull Fletcher, possibly our best LB, and implement a 3-4 which is a scheme that requires MORE LBs? I'm sorry to say this, but that just doesn't make ANY sense!

Now, having said all of that, I couldn't agree more with you. Put JP back in. This team is nowhere near good enough to even MAKE the playoffs, let alone be competetive in a playoff game, which should be the goal. Give him the bye week to prepare for the home game against KC. This season is over. The sooner the Bills organization recognizes that, the better off this team will be for the long-run.

McBFLO
11-02-2005, 07:45 AM

Well, the goal was to put pressure on Brady, which was working. When they ran it, they caught the Bills D out of position.

McBFLO
11-02-2005, 07:49 AM
I just hope they don't compound the error by sticking with Holcomb too long in what definitely appears to be a futile effort to make the playoffs.
To this I would have to say "Fasten your seatbelt! Holcomb ain't goin anywhere for at least another few weeks."

colin
11-02-2005, 08:13 AM
they benched big sam because he doesn't run the game plan, this might explain a big part of our run D if it is true.

bannan got into the back field regularly, so i think some parts of our scheme is working but not all of them.

frankly our scheme on D was very good against NE. a couple big passes killed us, and at least one of them was nate clements making a big mistake.

we do over persue, but i have got to think if we get a couple things in check we are OK on run D.

we'll have our chance to show what we can go against KC.

mchurchfie
11-02-2005, 11:03 AM
Was Jerry Gray a moron last year or the year before when the Bills D was dominating? Firing Gray would be a terrible move. I think he's had a rough year, but so has everyone on the D-side of the ball. You want to pull Fletcher, possibly our best LB, and implement a 3-4 which is a scheme that requires MORE LBs? I'm sorry to say this, but that just doesn't make ANY sense!

I've hated Gray since he has been here. Even last year although the defense looked good in the stats column it always choked bigtime when it came time to make a crucial stop to preserve or win the game. Last years ranking was an abberation and was the worst thing that could have happened because it misled everyone into thinking that we had some kind of great defense. This has always been a flawed unit. And if Fletch is our best LB then we're in huge trouble.:crap:

DaBills
11-02-2005, 11:50 AM
Was Jerry Gray a moron last year or the year before when the Bills D was dominating? .

No, but it's apparent he is calling pretty much the same schemes, and right now, I wish we had Cotrell back. What I think is happening is that Gray is an average coordinator who's lackluster playcalling was covered up the fact he had some guys who could play and make big plays, so he looks like a genius.

Imo, the mark of a good coordinator is someone who does more with less. Injuries and free agency hit everyone in the NFL, but you adjust. For example, Kiffen in Tampa lost some key role players these past years but his D still brings it every play. Losing Pat Williams was our single biggest problem that was not address. I suspect TD felt we could compensate somehow, but I'm not seeing it.

Last year when the media was ranking our D in the top-5, top-10 etc., it was a bend-don't break D. Stop teams on 1st and 2nd downs, then give it up on 3rd. Constantly. This year –*same thing.

The two biggest problems I have with Gray, and to a lesser degree G. Williams when he was here:

1) We blitz out of disguised schemes and no one is fooled. We got to Brady on SNF only because they had a rookie LT who was schooled. We need to flood the box and tighten up the corner coverage UNTIL they stop us or make us respect the pass. We haven't played that type of Blitz-burg style so how do we know it won't work.

2) The corners all layoff WR's way too far on plays. 5,7, even 10 yard cushions that allow a Brady to hit his stupid 2-step drop slants just over the line. And you might say, well, we're not giving up the big play doing it like that. Ok, but what we ARE doing in this situations is allowing teams to sustain drives with short gains, and usually, we give them a longer route over the middle.