PDA

View Full Version : Jason Peters? Draft?

Lexwhat
11-01-2005, 08:33 PM
I don't know if anyone made a thread about Jason Peters after the NE game. With the exception of one play, I was very happy to see him do well on the field. Not only did he do a good job in the NE game, but this is great news for our future.

My proposal before (Don't know if it will happen), was to put Jason Peters at either of the Tackle positions next year. I wouldn't mind seeing Mike Gandy at the opposite tackle position. And then, I think Mike Williams needs to take a pay cut, and move to one of the Guard positions. (I was defending Bennie Anderson before the NE game, I admit, but his horrendous game against NE basically cost us the game when he gave up that sack/fumble. I now can see that he's becoming a liability). I say we demote Bennie to back-up and put Mike Williams at his spot. Bennie would certainly provide great depth, even though he is a little expensive for a back-up.

After that, I say we draft a stud guard in next year's draft to take Villarial's spot. Villarial is highly paid, and I would argue that he hasn't gotten the job done. Either cut him or ask him to take a pay-cut. I think he is a little overrated, JMO. The reason is because I think his work at the goal-line leaves a lot to be desired. I think Villarial is one of the reasons why our red-zone efficiency sucks.

We can surely find a stud guard in the 2nd round...Guards don't get drafted that early, as you know. In addition, I would grab a tackle prospect in the 3rd round that could be developed similar to Jason Peters.

Call me crazy, but I don't think we should draft a Offensive Tackle in the 1st Round. I think we have a much bigger need at Defensive Tackle / Safety / MLB. Finding an impact player at either of those 3 positions would help out our defense big time. You askin, why do I think we should NOT draft an OT in the first round? Well because I think our O-Line has played some good games and has played some bad games. I think our Defensive Line has played poorly all year. Matter of fact, I think our defense as a whole has played poorly. I think we need to devote a first round pick to our defense next year.

If you dont want to read everything above, then here's a quick summary of what I said:

1. Put Jason Peters at either tackle position, and put Gandy at the opposite Tackle position.

2. Ask Mike Williams to take a pay-cut, and move him to Bennie's guard position. Demote Bennie to a back-up, where he will provide solid depth.

DRAFT:

1. Draft a stud guard in the 2nd round next year, where we can easily find one since guards aren't drafted that early.

2. Put that guard (if he's ready) at Chris Villarial's spot. I am very unhappy with Villarial's work at the goal-line. He get's no push. I think he is one of the main reasons that we settle for field goals instead of scoring touchdowns in the red zone.

3. Draft a MLB/Safety/Defensive Tackle in the 1st Round. The reason I wouldn't draft an Offensive Tackle in the 1st round is because I think our O-Line has played some good games and some bad games. Our defense, on the other hand, has played much worse all year, especially against the run.

4. Draft an offensive tackle prospect in the 3rd round that could be developed similar to Jason Peters, who would eventually take over for Gandy.

5. With the other 3rd round pick, draft a big WR that could also be developed.

Of course, free agency will affect our draft. But my main idea, IMO, is we need to fix up our defense in the 1st round and grab a stud guard with our 2nd rounder.

Lexwhat
11-01-2005, 08:36 PM
Haha, my "quick summary" is almost as long as my actual post. My bad!

Anyways, sorry to start more mock-draft nonsense, but my main point was that because of Jason Peters, we now have more freedom and more upside for our offensive-line, but still need more work to make it an above-average line that can be consistent even with injuries.

Captain Obvious
11-01-2005, 09:21 PM
Yeah....I like everything you've said as long as your assumptions come to fruition (Peters proves he can be good with more playing time, MW takes a paycut.) I like grabbing a guard in he 2nd round, but as long as its not a major reach, I think the bills have to take the best DT available in the 1st Round. Safety and LB will have to come in 3rd Round or 4th Round.

JefftheBillsfan
11-01-2005, 09:24 PM
DT round 1 for sure in my opinion.

i agree with everything you said, great post. only thing, whats your plan B if mike williams refuses a pay cut or a position transfer? FA?

TigerJ
11-01-2005, 10:20 PM
I think I would leave Mike Williams at right tackle and shift Gandy to guard and when Peters goes to tackle. I'd play Peters on the left where he can neutralize quick defensive ends with his foot speed. If I can get a guard I like, I'd replace Villarial, but it's not critical. I do think defensive tackle is a priority for the first round. Buffalo should be able to get a good one. As far as drafting players in the mid to later rounds to develop, I think it's pretty much a crap shoot. You often get third rounders who don't develop, and you sometimes get gems among rookie free agents, guys like Jason Peters and Jabari Greer.

Griz78
11-01-2005, 10:30 PM
Peters played a solid game. I also agree with a solid DT but there only seems one that I can recall that is really up there. I know there are several Left Tackle prospects this year. Ferguson from Virginia, Winston from Miami, McNeill from Auburn, Scott from Texas. I'd take the Left Tackle and see if we can add a DT in Free Agency but I wouldn't mind a DT in round one if there is one available.

vicmantak
11-01-2005, 11:00 PM
1. Put Jason Peters at either tackle position, and put Gandy at the opposite Tackle position.

2. Ask Mike Williams to take a pay-cut, and move him to Bennie's guard position. Demote Bennie to a back-up, where he will provide solid depth.

DRAFT:

1. Draft a stud guard in the 2nd round next year, where we can easily find one since guards aren't drafted that early.

2. Put that guard (if he's ready) at Chris Villarial's spot. I am very unhappy with Villarial's work at the goal-line. He get's no push. I think he is one of the main reasons that we settle for field goals instead of scoring touchdowns in the red zone.

3. Draft a MLB/Safety/Defensive Tackle in the 1st Round. The reason I wouldn't draft an Offensive Tackle in the 1st round is because I think our O-Line has played some good games and some bad games. Our defense, on the other hand, has played much worse all year, especially against the run.

4. Draft an offensive tackle prospect in the 3rd round that could be developed similar to Jason Peters, who would eventually take over for Gandy.
Excellent suggestions.
1. Peters opposite to Gandy... already done.
2. Williams at Guard and take a big paycut... no better suggestion and if he doesn't do that... he is simply unnecessary.

DRAFT:
1. Draft a G in the 2nd round pick... no thanks... OL takes too much time to develop and Preston is quickly developing.
2. Villarial is one of the strongest linemen and IMO he could be moved at Center.
3. I would say draft a DT, MLB or a TE on the first round.
4. Draft "serious" prospects at 3rd or 4th round ... already done.

Lexwhat
11-02-2005, 01:54 AM
Excellent suggestions.
2. Williams at Guard and take a big paycut... no better suggestion and if he doesn't do that... he is simply unnecessary.

DRAFT:
1. Draft a G in the 2nd round pick... no thanks... OL takes too much time to develop and Preston is quickly developing.
2. Villarial is one of the strongest linemen and IMO he could be moved at Center.

So what you are saying, is don't draft any offensive linemen in the 1st 2 rounds? Who do you think we should draft in the 2nd round? If Villarial moves to Center, then that means Preston and Bennie would take the guard spots. IMO, we need an upgrade at the guard position, and we need it sooner than later.

I guess however that Villarial could be moved to center, I never thought of that. Good point. I wonder if he would be able to.

Lexwhat
11-02-2005, 01:58 AM
DT round 1 for sure in my opinion.

i agree with everything you said, great post. only thing, whats your plan B if mike williams refuses a pay cut or a position transfer? FA?

Good point. This is def. possible that he will not accept a pay cut. I'm guessing Williams might rather want to be cut and go to another team looking for a Tackle. Another team, like the Texans, might pick him up to be their starter.

I think Big Mike needs to take a pay cut or else I would not want to keep him. No restructuring allowed.

ParanoidAndroid
11-02-2005, 02:07 AM
Excellent suggestions.

DRAFT:

The knock on Villarreal is that he hasn't been getting out front in running plays. He is getting beaten often at the point of attack this year. He is also not very good at pulling lately. He just looks too slow.
A healthy Mike Williams is our best option at RT. The Jets game is a good example. But, like I've said before, if he can't stay healthy, he should be a goner. Gandy has been doing a fairly good job on the left, but I think he would be better at guard. Preston could replace Villarreal and be the other guard as long as Teague remains at center.
The list of OT's is so extensive that you could actually get someone starting quality into the late 2nd - early 3rd round.
The best "true" LT that should be available in the second is probably Jeremy Trueblood. He's 6'9" and 330lbs. The word on him? Technically solid, intelligent, never out of position, and best of all, he's mean and nasty. He would likely start immediately and push Gandy to the guard spot, making the left side of the line much better against the pass rush. The other 2nd round guy, who might have to drop some for us, is Darryn Colledge. More of an athelete, not as big as Trueblood, but is obviously gifted. He didn't start playing football until his senior year of high school. I thought that was impressive.
There are so many linemen this year and the possibilities are so great, it's hard to speculate. Fun as hell, though!

X-Era
11-02-2005, 06:36 AM
I don't know if anyone made a thread about Jason Peters after the NE game. With the exception of one play, I was very happy to see him do well on the field. Not only did he do a good job in the NE game, but this is great news for our future.

My proposal before (Don't know if it will happen), was to put Jason Peters at either of the Tackle positions next year. I wouldn't mind seeing Mike Gandy at the opposite tackle position. And then, I think Mike Williams needs to take a pay cut, and move to one of the Guard positions. (I was defending Bennie Anderson before the NE game, I admit, but his horrendous game against NE basically cost us the game when he gave up that sack/fumble. I now can see that he's becoming a liability). I say we demote Bennie to back-up and put Mike Williams at his spot. Bennie would certainly provide great depth, even though he is a little expensive for a back-up.

After that, I say we draft a stud guard in next year's draft to take Villarial's spot. Villarial is highly paid, and I would argue that he hasn't gotten the job done. Either cut him or ask him to take a pay-cut. I think he is a little overrated, JMO. The reason is because I think his work at the goal-line leaves a lot to be desired. I think Villarial is one of the reasons why our red-zone efficiency sucks.

We can surely find a stud guard in the 2nd round...Guards don't get drafted that early, as you know. In addition, I would grab a tackle prospect in the 3rd round that could be developed similar to Jason Peters.

Call me crazy, but I don't think we should draft a Offensive Tackle in the 1st Round. I think we have a much bigger need at Defensive Tackle / Safety / MLB. Finding an impact player at either of those 3 positions would help out our defense big time. You askin, why do I think we should NOT draft an OT in the first round? Well because I think our O-Line has played some good games and has played some bad games. I think our Defensive Line has played poorly all year. Matter of fact, I think our defense as a whole has played poorly. I think we need to devote a first round pick to our defense next year.

If you dont want to read everything above, then here's a quick summary of what I said:

DRAFT:

5. With the other 3rd round pick, draft a big WR that could also be developed.

Of course, free agency will affect our draft. But my main idea, IMO, is we need to fix up our defense in the 1st round and grab a stud guard with our 2nd rounder.

Very, very well done !!!!!

Lets add some names to your positions.

MLB/SS/DT-
MLB- AJ Hawk or Ahmad Brooks
SS- Jimmy Williams- he probably goes back to SS but can also play CB which make him very intriguing for us if Clements leaves
DT- Rodrique Wright, i like him but I like Orien Harris better and you can get him later

WR- Derek Hagan is a Eric Moulds clone and VERY impressive but may go higher than the 3rd

G- Max Jean Giles is dominant and could be a great 2nd round steal

AS for the rest, Im not ready to call it quits with Mike yet, I think he can be a dominant RT and has played that way sometimes. But the injury bug is a definete problem. What DOES have to happen is he needs to take a serious pay cut to kill his ridiculous cap hit.

dannyek71
11-02-2005, 06:48 AM
IMHO, Williams may be our best lineman now. Although he is always injured/has an obscene salary. I say we ask him to take a paycut or cut him to save cap space. It seems as he is always hurt.

Im sick of TD getting monsterous lineman. IE Bennie Anderson, mike Williams. If you remember the teams that have the great lines. (Ie Denvers superbowl years etc....) They always have undersized lines who scrap, and beat the crap out of the other teams. Id like to see a line like that here.

McBFLO
11-02-2005, 07:36 AM
[QUOTE=JefftheBillsfan]DT round 1 for sure in my opinion.
QUOTE]

What if there isn't one there that's worthy of the pick? What's the next position you go after?

Fletcher is getting a bit long in the tooth, but he can be extremely effective when he is free to roam the field. I think by solidifying the DT position, you immediately improve the MLB position. Drafting a prospect in the 3rd or 4th round wwouldn't be a bad idea. I hate to see Fletcher leave though...I have his jersey!

ParanoidAndroid
11-02-2005, 08:17 AM
[quote=JefftheBillsfan]DT round 1 for sure in my opinion.
QUOTE]

What if there isn't one there that's worthy of the pick? What's the next position you go after?

Fletcher is getting a bit long in the tooth, but he can be extremely effective when he is free to roam the field. I think by solidifying the DT position, you immediately improve the MLB position. Drafting a prospect in the 3rd or 4th round wwouldn't be a bad idea. I hate to see Fletcher leave though...I have his jersey!

Anthony Schlegel ILB, Ohio State in the 3rd.

Right now there are three DT's that translate into the first round

1. Rodrique Wright, Texas
2. Haloti Ngata, Oregon (many of you know I'm high on this kid)
3. Jesse Mahelona, Tennessee

two others are not far behind

1. Orien Harris, Miami
2. Gabe Watson, Michigan (has the physical gifts but has to prove himself this season)

If I was a GM, I would also take a late round chance on LeKevin Smith out of Nebraska. He would be somewhat of a project having very minimal playing time due to separate injuries to both knees, but he was very highly recruited. He has come back running faster with all the same mass. This 6'2" 305lb dude can actually do standing back flips!

mysticsoto
11-02-2005, 08:26 AM
I'll tell you one thing I would do. If Bennie Anderson keeps stinking up the place, I'd sit him - like they did Sam Adams, and put in Preston. If you want to discipline one person - apply it to all. You play bad, you're out and a backup who might be itching to play will take your place. B'cse Peters looked good, let him play for Mike Williams until he's FULLY healed. None of this coming back and then just reinjuring his ankle b'cse he's not really healed completely.

As for drafting, a Guard might be good in the 2nd followed by a Tackle in the 3rd, but my guess is that TD and McNally will choose a versatile OT that could play both - with maybe the speed of a tackle, but the girth of a guard...

Troy Reddick - Auburn - 6'5" 335 lbs
Jami Hightower - Texas A&M - 6'4" 355 lbs
Zach Strief - Northwestern - 6'7" 335 lbs
Albert Toeaina - Tennessee - 6'6" 350 lbs
Taitusi Lutui - Southern Cal - 6'6" 370 lbs

Between Gandy and Jason Peters, I am comfortable at LT. Between Teague and Preston, I am comfortable at Center. With a healthy Mike Williams I am comfortable with him and possibly Peters or Gandy backing him up. CV needs to turn it up! I know he can play better than what he has been doing. If necessary, Gandy could play LG until a draft choice like one of the above comes up to speed and can take over...in the meantime, they can play backup for both tackle or guard. Geisinger and Jerman would both be let go. I don't know why we kept either of them. They were poor choices for backup!!!

Bennie Anderson would be an expensive backup - but one that can see time for goal line or 4th and 1 type situations. We have alot of bulk on the line and we often don't use it well. I love when MM brings in Sam Adams on goal line situations. We need to do more of that as well as Jason Peters coming in at tight end to help block when he's not playing on the line...

ParanoidAndroid
11-02-2005, 08:54 AM
I'll tell you one thing I would do. If Bennie Anderson keeps stinking up the place, I'd sit him - like they did Sam Adams, and put in Preston. If you want to discipline one person - apply it to all. You play bad, you're out and a backup who might be itching to play will take your place. B'cse Peters looked good, let him play for Mike Williams until he's FULLY healed. None of this coming back and then just reinjuring his ankle b'cse he's not really healed completely.

As for drafting, a Guard might be good in the 2nd followed by a Tackle in the 3rd, but my guess is that TD and McNally will choose a versatile OT that could play both - with maybe the speed of a tackle, but the girth of a guard...

Troy Reddick - Auburn - 6'5" 335 lbs
Jami Hightower - Texas A&M - 6'4" 355 lbs
Zach Strief - Northwestern - 6'7" 335 lbs
Albert Toeaina - Tennessee - 6'6" 350 lbs
Taitusi Lutui - Southern Cal - 6'6" 370 lbs

Between Gandy and Jason Peters, I am comfortable at LT. Between Teague and Preston, I am comfortable at Center. With a healthy Mike Williams I am comfortable with him and possibly Peters or Gandy backing him up. CV needs to turn it up! I know he can play better than what he has been doing. If necessary, Gandy could play LG until a draft choice like one of the above comes up to speed and can take over...in the meantime, they can play backup for both tackle or guard. Geisinger and Jerman would both be let go. I don't know why we kept either of them. They were poor choices for backup!!!

Bennie Anderson would be an expensive backup - but one that can see time for goal line or 4th and 1 type situations. We have alot of bulk on the line and we often don't use it well. I love when MM brings in Sam Adams on goal line situations. We need to do more of that as well as Jason Peters coming in at tight end to help block when he's not playing on the line...

I won't disagree with any of that except your assessment of Geisinger. He's a rookie and still has a shot.

mysticsoto
11-02-2005, 09:05 AM
I won't disagree with any of that except your assessment of Geisinger. He's a rookie and still has a shot.

Maybe. I'd certainly see what he has available next year and if he's improved in technique and strength. But Preston is also a rookie and playing much better than him. If Lawrence Smith plays better than him, or McFarland or whatever rookie/FAs we bring in, then I say cut him...he hasn't impressed me with anything he has done lately. In fact, I thought Gudmunsen had more potential than he did!

tampabay25690
11-02-2005, 09:13 AM

MLB/SS/DT-
SS- Jimmy Williams- he probably goes back to SS but can also play CB which make him very intriguing for us if Clements leaves
DT- Rodrique Wright, i like him but I like Orien Harris better and you can get him later

WR- Derek Hagan is a Eric Moulds clone and VERY impressive but may go higher than the 3rd

AS for the rest, Im not ready to call it quits with Mike yet, I think he can be a dominant RT and has played that way sometimes. But the injury bug is a definete problem. What DOES have to happen is he needs to take a serious pay cut to kill his ridiculous cap hit.

I would love to see Jimmy Williams in a Bills uniform, just watch him against MAIMI this weekend, HE is a stud....

Lexwhat
11-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Unfortunately, I don't follow College Football too closely, so I dont really know what prospects are available. Considering how our defense works, I think I would take these positions in order of preference:

1. D-Tackle
2. Safety
3. MLB

Both of our safeties are getting pretty old, and good ones are hard to come by. But D-Tackle is such an important position, and Sam is getting old too. So I think that D-Tackle is an absolute priority, and perhaps we can get by with our safeties for another year after this.

You guys are right though, if we can take care of the D-Tackle position, it will be much easier for our MLB. I believe some people are being too harsh on London. I guess it's just bad luck for him to miss his right-hand man in Takeo and have the guards in his face all the time. To be honest, I didn't really expect much out of him with his current situation.

Oh well, I just hope TD can make the right decision.

Lexwhat
11-02-2005, 11:10 AM

MLB/SS/DT-

Thanks!

ParanoidAndroid
11-02-2005, 11:53 AM
Unfortunately, I don't follow College Football too closely, so I dont really know what prospects are available. Considering how our defense works, I think I would take these positions in order of preference:

1. D-Tackle
2. Safety
3. MLB

Both of our safeties are getting pretty old, and good ones are hard to come by. But D-Tackle is such an important position, and Sam is getting old too. So I think that D-Tackle is an absolute priority, and perhaps we can get by with our safeties for another year after this.

You guys are right though, if we can take care of the D-Tackle position, it will be much easier for our MLB. I believe some people are being too harsh on London. I guess it's just bad luck for him to miss his right-hand man in Takeo and have the guards in his face all the time. To be honest, I didn't really expect much out of him with his current situation.

Oh well, I just hope TD can make the right decision.

A day one mock of your preferences in that order:

Rd. 1...#13. Haloti Ngata, DT Oregon
Rd. 2...#45. Bernard Pollard, SS Perdue (maybe a reach and is also a junior, not much for SS at this spot...maybe Greg Blue, Georgia)
Rd. 3...#77. Anthony Schlegel, ILB Ohio State

This draft would solidify our run defense for years to come.