PDA

View Full Version : Enough with the NFL/Refs are out to get us

THATHURMANATOR
11-02-2005, 01:46 PM
It is annoying me and making us look bad.....

OpIv37
11-02-2005, 01:55 PM
the refs aren't out to get us per se- they're out to help the NFL with their marketing ploys. The Patriots losing on national TV during Tedy Bruschi's game back doesn't get the NFL nearly as much attention on sports shows as a win will.

Same thing with the Saints- it's bad publicity for that team to lose their first "home" game after their city got destroyed. I don't think the NFL's out to get Buffalo, but they are out for public relations. We just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

AndreReed83
11-02-2005, 01:55 PM
I don't think they are out to get the Bills. But there is a definite bias for refs to give calls to the Pats to help them win. And it just so happened that the latest occurence of that happened against our favorite team.

THATHURMANATOR
11-02-2005, 01:58 PM
No they are not making calls to have better "story lines" . That has nothing to do with it. If there were actually notifications from the NFL front offices to Referees to give a certain team advantages the NFL would be no better than Professional wrestling. If I ever found this to be true I would have a tough time ever watching another game.

Meathead
11-02-2005, 01:59 PM
it doesn't mean you're paranoid if you are certain everyone is out to get you

THATHURMANATOR
11-02-2005, 02:00 PM
True.

AndreReed83
11-02-2005, 02:02 PM
Personally, I feel the NFL is fixed to get certain teams "dramatic" wins and for those teams to make the playoffs. And even though you disagree Thurm, I think you said it best, the NFL, imo, has been a glorified WWE for a while now.

L.A. Playa
11-02-2005, 02:05 PM
in every professional sports the refs havea certain bias towards "superstar" players and the media darlings of the league, unfortunately even when the Bills where at their peak with the 4 Super Bowls they never seemed to get the special treatment a team like the Patriots and I believe the Steelers get and whatever team is excelling in the NFC East it happens in every sport it is usually more subtle than the pass interference call that would go uncalled 99% of the time due to the time and circumstance of the game but it happens every week in every game in every sport

L.A. Playa
11-02-2005, 02:09 PM
Bottom line sports is entertainment and generated by money and ratings, they know that the people in Buffalo will alwways watch and support the Bills, so why help them in any way to be successful, larger market teams have more fickle fans and fans in other places with no teams are more apt to relate to the big market team, therfore a team in Boston, NY, or even a team like Pittsburgh the loveable underdog in the NFL eyes are gonna have more support and come playoff time more ratings so the NFL can have the "best" matchups based on ratings, the NFL doesnt care about 2/3 rds of its teams and what their fans think

OpIv37
11-02-2005, 02:11 PM
seriously- offensive pass interference? They NEVER call that- this whole league is set up to create offense. Receivers and DB's push each other on almost every play, and guys like Owens, Moss, etc get away with murder in that department. It's selective officiating.

Michael82
11-02-2005, 02:22 PM
seriously- offensive pass interference? They NEVER call that- this whole league is set up to create offense. Receivers and DB's push each other on almost every play, and guys like Owens, Moss, etc get away with murder in that department. It's selective officiating.
and that was barely a push off. Hell, it had no effect on the play IMO. Moulds would have caught the ball anyways. That was a **** call and you don't make those kind of calls at the end of the game when a team is driving downfield to try to win. You just let them play! :mad:

Mr. Miyagi
11-02-2005, 02:47 PM
the refs aren't out to get us per se- they're out to help the NFL with their marketing ploys. The Patriots losing on national TV during Tedy Bruschi's game back doesn't get the NFL nearly as much attention on sports shows as a win will.

Same thing with the Saints- it's bad publicity for that team to lose their first "home" game after their city got destroyed. I don't think the NFL's out to get Buffalo, but they are out for public relations. We just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Makes sense to me.

All we need is someone to suicide bomb in Buffalo, kill off like 180 people including critically injurying a useless player like Josh Stamer, and we'll be on easy street all the way to the SuperBowl. :up:

Thurm are you game?? :naughty:

Gunzlingr
11-02-2005, 02:49 PM
after 9/11, I told a couple of my buddies that NE would win the superbowl, because of "Patriots" in a time of crisis. Low and behold they cheat and beat the Raiders, and make the Superbowl. I realized then and there that the fix was on, and certain teams and stories create victories. Instead of the players winning games, the refs do it for them.

I don't think it is anything against us, we are in the wrong place at the wrong time. The Pats get all the calls it seems (we aren't the only fans to think so), and the interesting story wins out.

The_Philster
11-02-2005, 03:20 PM
and that was barely a push off. Hell, it had no effect on the play IMO. Moulds would have caught the ball anyways. That was a **** call and you don't make those kind of calls at the end of the game when a team is driving downfield to try to win. You just let them play! :mad:
even the Patriot he "pushed" thought it was a blown call according to what Moulds said

LtBillsFan66
11-02-2005, 03:20 PM
I hate it too thurm. It's embarrassing.

Gunzlingr
11-02-2005, 03:21 PM
even the Patriot he "pushed" thought it was a blown call according to what Moulds said

You could see him and moulds talking about it when they were lining back up, and neither was mad at the other.

THATHURMANATOR
11-02-2005, 03:23 PM
Again if I ever found out that bias was given to any team I could no longer watch the NFL. Granted one bad call at the end of the game sealed our fate early on we were getting a lot of calls. I wouldn't doubt an individual ref has his own personaly bias towards certain players but if it was something that came as a motion directly from the NFL the league is a total joke.

mchurchfie
11-02-2005, 03:23 PM
It is annoying me and making us look bad.....
True, we are already bad enough.:coocoo:

Michael82
11-02-2005, 03:28 PM
Again if I ever found out that bias was given to any team I could no longer watch the NFL. Granted one bad call at the end of the game sealed our fate early on we were getting a lot of calls. I wouldn't doubt an individual ref has his own personaly bias towards certain players but if it was something that came as a motion directly from the NFL the league is a total joke.
Do you remember...

"Just give it to em" ?

Michael82
11-02-2005, 03:29 PM
Exactly! It was a crap call! Everyone knows it. The fact that Bruschi got the player of the week makes me really believe it was all setup and that is total BULL****!

DynaPaul
11-02-2005, 03:29 PM
It's called the "Michael Jordan" effect.

OpIv37
11-02-2005, 03:30 PM

because early on they don't want a blowout- that's not good for ratings. But notice how the calls started going the other way once it looked like we might be able to pull it out....

THATHURMANATOR
11-02-2005, 03:31 PM
Do you remember...
"Just give it to em" ?
Yep. again possible individual discresion.

BuffaloRanger
11-03-2005, 02:12 PM
Yep. again possible individual discresion.

Is it so hard to believe that with hundreds of millions of TV revenue and merchandising $$$ at stake the NFL front office wouldn't have a preference on who wins certain games?

It's not hard for the NFL front office to tell the Director of Officials to instruct the Head Ref of certain games to look closer at a one team when the game is on the line. The whole crew doesn't need to know. Just the Head Ref.

Of course this will be the most guarded secret in football. But because there are fans that won't even consider the possibility - like you Thurm - the NFL always has "plausible deniability" on their side.

With instant replay there is no excuse for blown calls. Is it incompetence or something else?

Examples:

Old Pats game:
How about the pass interference on a hail mary pass? Has that ever been called in any level of football in history?

Fins playoff game:
How about Reed getting up in the fins playoff game after scoring aTD. NO TD, 15yd penalty.

Titans playoff game:
We know the story.

Steelers game last year:
PI on fletcher leading to a TD. A pick call on Reed or Evans after getting the first down. How often is a pick called on a WR? How about hardly never.

This year alone.

Falcons:
Vick throwing away the ball to nobody. No call because it's the NFL poster boy. Don't want to anger the blacks in Hotlanta that buy all his merchandise.

Saints game:
20,00 saints fans brought in for the game on the NFL dime. Attempted leg whip on the Saint that tackled McGee at the 2 yd line. Not called.

Patriots game.
Bruschi returns. Big game for NFL. Oh the drama! Branch didn't catch that ball. Unless he has another joint between his elbow and wrist, there is no way he kept that ball from touching the ground. PI on Moulds. How often is this called?

At least acknowledge the possibility.

THATHURMANATOR
11-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Is it so hard to believe that with hundreds of millions of TV revenue and merchandising $$$ at stake the NFL front office wouldn't have a preference on who wins certain games?
I am not saying that it didn't happen. I am saying that if it did the NFL is an absolute joke. It means they are on the level of professional wrestling, and it is not a legitimate sport.

THATHURMANATOR
11-04-2005, 01:17 PM
Ranger You are also just pulling out a bad call or two from each game. I am sure fans of almost every team in the league will think the call against their team is a bad call if it is questionable in any way.

I could never say for sure that the NFL hasn't had a memo to call games against certain teams against them but wouldn't you think a memo or ref or someone might have come forward by now? That is a lot of people to have to keep a secret that would destroy the credibility of your sport.

Earthquake Enyart
11-04-2005, 01:21 PM
Once again, Thurm is the voice of reason. :up:

The rest of you sound like whiny little *****es. :down:

The Outsider
11-04-2005, 02:21 PM
the outsider isn't too big on excuses...but i tend to agree there is a conspiracy in the air....the outsider almost lost his dinner after watching the pats game and the bruschi dickriding all night long, it was sickening.....the outsider is fed up with the hype and the refs were going to make sure that the pats didn't lose this game since it marked the glorious return of Teddy B...

bottom line jack....regardless of questionable officiating the good teams find ways to win....bad teams find ways to lose...i'll let you decide which category the bills fall into............ :baghead:

Earthquake Enyart
11-04-2005, 02:30 PM
the outsider isn't too big on excuses...but i tend to agree there is a conspiracy in the air....the outsider almost lost his dinner after watching the pats game and the bruschi dickriding all night long, it was sickening.....the outsider is fed up with the hype and the refs were going to make sure that the pats didn't lose this game since it marked the glorious return of Teddy B...

bottom line jack....regardless of questionable officiating the good teams find ways to win....bad teams find ways to lose...i'll let you decide which category the bills fall into............ :baghead:
Earthquake Enyart has had his fill of The Insider.

Didn't take long. :down:

Michael82
11-05-2005, 10:34 AM

It's not hard for the NFL front office to tell the Director of Officials to instruct the Head Ref of certain games to look closer at a one team when the game is on the line. The whole crew doesn't need to know. Just the Head Ref.

Of course this will be the most guarded secret in football. But because there are fans that won't even consider the possibility - like you Thurm - the NFL always has "plausible deniability" on their side.

With instant replay there is no excuse for blown calls. Is it incompetence or something else?

Examples:

Old Pats game:
How about the pass interference on a hail mary pass? Has that ever been called in any level of football in history?

Fins playoff game:
How about Reed getting up in the fins playoff game after scoring aTD. NO TD, 15yd penalty.

Titans playoff game:
We know the story.

Steelers game last year:
PI on fletcher leading to a TD. A pick call on Reed or Evans after getting the first down. How often is a pick called on a WR? How about hardly never.

This year alone.

Falcons:
Vick throwing away the ball to nobody. No call because it's the NFL poster boy. Don't want to anger the blacks in Hotlanta that buy all his merchandise.

Saints game:
20,00 saints fans brought in for the game on the NFL dime. Attempted leg whip on the Saint that tackled McGee at the 2 yd line. Not called.

Patriots game.
Bruschi returns. Big game for NFL. Oh the drama! Branch didn't catch that ball. Unless he has another joint between his elbow and wrist, there is no way he kept that ball from touching the ground. PI on Moulds. How often is this called?

At least acknowledge the possibility.
Interesting post. :up: