• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bufftp
    Hi Dave!

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

O.K. Your the Coach what would you do?

How would you use this Bye week to straighten out your team. What roster changes would you make on both sides of the Ball to shake things up. Would you have a long talk with clements to committ to run? Reduce the offensice play book and focus on the fundementals? Or do nothing and stand pat?
    Photobucket

In the end, there are only three liberal archetypes: The fools, the beneficiaries and the crooks.
    "If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
    Optyimus Ignorus Realityious!

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
    - John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

To live in the presence of great truths and eternal laws,
    to be led by permanent ideals -
    that is what keeps a man patient
    when the world ignores him,
    and calm and unspoiled when the world praises him. -- Honore De Balzac

• jpdex12
    • Jan 2005

Re: O.K. Your the Coach what would you do?

Originally posted by Bufftp
    How would you use this Bye week to straighten out your team. What roster changes would you make on both sides of the Ball to shake things up. Would you have a long talk with clements to committ to run? Reduce the offensice play book and focus on the fundementals? Or do nothing and stand pat?
    I tell ya what I would do, I would tell the "f"ing veterans that if they wanted to show any more mutiny than they already have and force decisions to be made by voicing their opinions then they would not play another down this year and I would activate every player from the practice squad in their place.

I would of course loose my job at the end of the year but at least I wouldn't be some pawn or puppet for a coach. Moulds is pissing me off. I think that he has an idea that he will be asked to take a pay cut at the end of the year or be cut or traded and he is being a whine ass about the whole rebuilding thing and JP.

Our "D" sucks this year and we aren't making the playoffs so why not play for the future?
    Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
      My battery is low and it's getting dark.
      • Apr 2004

The O-line would get extensive work on protection schemes and blitz recognition/pickup.
      QB's: checkdowns and reading defenses.
      RB's: pass blocking.
      WR's: adjusting for blitzes and hot reads.
      The TE's would learn how to tie their shoes.
      DT's: Engaging and occupying blocks.
      DE's: Reacting to the QB/RB exchange and not overpersuing on running plays.
      LB's: Shedding blocks and filling gaps and cutback lanes.
      SS: See above
      FS: Not sure, but they need to make a decision before the ball is thrown.
      CB's: Lots of 1 on 1 technique

I would not mess with the roster yet.

The red zone offense needs extensive work.

Comment

• jpdex12
        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by andyxc71
        The O-line would get extensive work on protection schemes and blitz recognition/pickup.
        QB's: checkdowns and reading defenses.
        RB's: pass blocking.
        WR's: adjusting for blitzes and hot reads.
        The TE's would learn how to tie their shoes.
        DT's: Engaging and occupying blocks.
        DE's: Reacting to the QB/RB exchange and not overpersuing on running plays.
        LB's: Shedding blocks and filling gaps and cutback lanes.
        SS: See above
        FS: Not sure, but they need to make a decision before the ball is thrown.
        CB's: Lots of 1 on 1 technique

I would not mess with the roster yet.

The red zone offense needs extensive work.
        I'm not being a jerk Andy but this crap is s*** that they shold have brushed up on in camp. The practice week during the season is too short to have to go back and start hitting the sled and working on technique. These players need to quit being stupid asses and grow some balls. They get paid millions of dollars to play like professionals, they need to start doing it. I'm so damn frustrated with this team. The coaches need to set the presidence! I wouldn't have given anyone two days off before this bye week. I would have had them report early on Monday morning. Take a trick out of Tom Coughlin's book.
        Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

• DaBills
          • Sep 2004

I'm serious about all of them except for maybe No. 7. (Maybe.)

1) Stay with the run

I think we did in fact establish the run as WM almost got a buc 50, BUT we went away from it in red zone situations that could've kept drives alive. Most of WM's hits were up the middle, and he made great gains in 8-9-10 yard bunches. I'd still exploit the left side of the line more. The few plays we did, we had good success with.

2) For at least ONE half if not the whole game - Blitz every down with 6, 7 or 8. Seriously.

coupled with:

3) Play the corners right up on the line and bump WRs. Have two or just one safeties back deep. Let's see if we can really rattle QBs. Let's make Clements and McGhee play one-on-one and have Clements prove he's a true shut-down corner like he says.

4) PRACTICE KICK-OFFS BY KICKING THE ****ING BALL DEEP.

5) Have someone go around and rip out the page that has any reverse plays on it. That could be JP – he's got spare time.

6) Bring in real refs to watch the WRs do blocking drills on running plays without holding someone.

7) Show Holcomb one of those police officer range target posters, the one with the civilian lady holding the shopping bag, but surround it with pictures of 'bad guys' (LB's). You see Kelly, when she's surrounded, we don't throw to her. We look her off for your checkdown and go there.

8) Practice the bootleg in Redzone situations inside the 10.

9) Run the no-huddle.
          “The Bills: better than the record indicates.”

Comment

• helmetguy
            Touch the helmet for luck
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by DaBills
            I'm serious about all of them except for maybe No. 7. (Maybe.)

1) Stay with the run

I think we did in fact establish the run as WM almost got a buc 50, BUT we went away from it in red zone situations that could've kept drives alive. Most of WM's hits were up the middle, and he made great gains in 8-9-10 yard bunches. I'd still exploit the left side of the line more. The few plays we did, we had good success with.

2) For at least ONE half if not the whole game - Blitz every down with 6, 7 or 8. Seriously.

coupled with:

3) Play the corners right up on the line and bump WRs. Have two or just one safeties back deep. Let's see if we can really rattle QBs. Let's make Clements and McGhee play one-on-one and have Clements prove he's a true shut-down corner like he says.

4) PRACTICE KICK-OFFS BY KICKING THE ****ING BALL DEEP.

5) Have someone go around and rip out the page that has any reverse plays on it. That could be JP – he's got spare time.

6) Bring in real refs to watch the WRs do blocking drills on running plays without holding someone.

7) Show Holcomb one of those police officer range target posters, the one with the civilian lady holding the shopping bag, but surround it with pictures of 'bad guys' (LB's). You see Kelly, when she's surrounded, we don't throw to her. We look her off for your checkdown and go there.

8) Practice the bootleg in Redzone situations inside the 10.

9) Run the no-huddle.
            It's the incessant blitzing that is killing the D. They're over-pursuing and over-running the play.
            Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
            And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• DaBills
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by helmetguy
              It's the incessant blitzing that is killing the D. They're over-pursuing and over-running the play.
              I haven't seen the kind of blitzing from our D like Pitt does though. We blitz and we suck at it. They do it, and they stack the line, hold their gaps and prevent draws and/or scrambling QB's the lanes to run in. case in point: Milloy blitzed out of a stunt last week from hi s left side, but he took so long to get in there, that the RT just spun him around and kept him out of the play. Totally ineffective.

We seem to blitz with only 5, get pushed wide and leave huge gaps up the middle, and to boot, no one's home because they over-pursue or have dropped back in pass coverage.
              “The Bills: better than the record indicates.”

Comment

• mysticsoto
                Too sober for this...
                • Apr 2004

Personally, I think our D is too predictable in its blitzing and too careless in coming up with schemes that get to the QB. Our blitzes always seem to get picked up just about every time and if they are not going to be effective, then they end up leaving us vulnerable.

If I were coach, I would use our LBs to fill the gaps between the D-linemen to ensure no RB gets through. I'd leave the CBs and safeties to handle the passing game (play a Cover 2 styled defense in the secondary). And then, so it's not too predictable, I'd have stunts with the DEs who are faster and let our DTs hold their ground and try and force any runners to the outside. And I'd have our LBs on the sides of the stunts come in to prevent any runner from escaping that way.

You can't do the same thing every time or the other team will find a way to beat it, but as a base defense, I would do something like this. In the pass, with the zone blitzes, I've seen some strange things (DEs covering RB, etc) that just shouldn't be. The Bills have outplayed and outthought themselves many times. The only "tricks" I'd implement is being able to throw a bomb and connect to a receiver!!!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                  Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                  • May 2003

Originally posted by helmetguy
                  Amen. It has killed us almost every week, and it certainly played right into Vick's hands in the Falcons' game.
                  Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

practice deep routes instead of those stupid reverse trick plays that doesn't fool anyone. Stop being so freakin conservative .If we keep Holcomb in there, I'd watch those games where he threw for 400 yards and run those plays. I'd also tell the vets that if you don't do your part, "screw you" we're starting JP.
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• chubluv
                      BillsZone bowling team MVP
                      • Jan 2003

I would start by telling Tom Clements to reduce the play book. Next would be to tell Jerry Grey to never play zone defence against Tom Brady, & never blitz from the outside when Sam Adams isnt in the game. Teams check off and run right up the gut when they see big Sam not in there.

We are in 5th place
                      Clump is on the IR
                      Chubluv average is 167
                      Yaz average is 179[/B]

BDZ
                      Become a member of BDZ !!!!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                        • May 2003

Leave in the dark of night and join the Witness Protection Program.
                        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Michael82
                          • Jul 2002

1. Start JP Losman and admit that we got a very tough schedule coming up. I know this won't be a move easily accepted by the team, but I'm the coach and I have worry about my future too. JP Losman needs to develop and he can't do that on the bench.

2. Talk to Jerry Gray and get him to cool it with the crazy blitzing. He can blitz, but not too much. Also, get him to use the CBs to cover the WRs like blankets, and quit it with the 10-15 yard cushions.

3. Tell Tom Clements that we are sticking with the game plan from last week. RUN THE BALL! All reverses and trick plays are out of the playbook until the team learns how to do the regular plays. Add more deep passes to the playbook and make sure that there is no more 3 or 4 yard passes on 3th and long and 4th and long. We need to focus on the running game, but to do that, we need to stretch open the field too. I expect at least 3-5 deep passes each game as the coach and if Clements doesnt do that, he is fired. Oh and one more thing, if a running play works on 1st down and goal, keep giving Willis McGahee the ****ing ball!

4. Talk to Bobby April and ask him which starters he needs to help the special teams. They aren't doing the same as last year and need to get better. If London Fletcher is still not back there in the wedge, put him back there immediately!

5. Effective immediately, Bennie Anderson is the new backup guard. Duke Preston has done a great job as the backup and will be the new starting LG. Tell Mike Williams that he is on thin ice, so if he doesnt get better soon, he will be replaced by Jason Peters.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                            My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by jpdex12
                            I'm not being a jerk Andy but this crap is s*** that they shold have brushed up on in camp. The practice week during the season is too short to have to go back and start hitting the sled and working on technique. These players need to quit being stupid asses and grow some balls. They get paid millions of dollars to play like professionals, they need to start doing it. I'm so damn frustrated with this team. The coaches need to set the presidence! I wouldn't have given anyone two days off before this bye week. I would have had them report early on Monday morning. Take a trick out of Tom Coughlin's book.
                            You're right. These are things pros should do naturally. Of course, you never stop working on the fundamentals. They constantly need to be maintained so that it remains natural reaction. The extra week of practice gives a team the chance to brush up.
                            If they were doing all these things consistently, then I'd still do it. They haven't been doing these things, so that is why I would do it and do it again until they couldn't move anymore.

Comment

• Turf
                              • Jul 2002

Well in the simplicity of a nutshell, short of firing Grey Gray WTF his name is and Clements/Clemens Tommy WTF his name is, I would stop blitzing, and start throwing consistent 20+ yard passes.
                              This isn't ****ing brain surgery.
                              Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

Working...
                              X