PDA

View Full Version : Hopelessly Hopeful (long), a positive spin

X-Era
11-03-2005, 09:01 AM
After many weeks many things are perfectly clear.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Us fans still love our Bills, always have, always will. I think overall we are simply jaded at the lack of good fortune that seems to surround this team. Its like when you rgrumpy you will lash out at just about anything. So, I can say for myself that I may have been a bit to critical of the Bills in the past days. Lets not toss the baby out with the bath water here. What do I mean? well our assessments of the playeres, coaches, and GM may be a bit too harsh. Its easy for us to endlessly fire away, and as fans its probably our right and our job. But, I know I should at least be a bit more realistic. <o:p></o:p>
I think we tend to assume that if it appears broke, there is something out there better that is a simple fix. Its like we are in our garage working on our broken carbs and we have a shiny new one just sitting on the shelf bought and paid for. I dont believe the NFL is that easy.<o:p></o:p>
We all have been very critical of TD, myself especially. Its easy for us to jump on the lump sum of the moves hes made and point to the bad ones. But are they all bad or are there some ones that are average? Examples:<o:p></o:p>
1) A few years back, a younger Moulds was in a contract year. We did not have Evans, had a young but erratic Reed. How dumb was it at that point to resign Moulds? I can blast away all day because we have so much cap tied up in him. I can also say that he isnt what he used to be. Both of those statements are true. But does that mean he should simply be cut? NO. How would our fortunes have been different against NE if Evans was our #1 option against the pitifull S's instead of Moulds? Would he have been much more open and put us up even 10 to 0 instead of 3 to 0 going into the half? I seriously wonder how many plays Moulds is the number one option. I think it may be way too many these days. Is he still a stud possession WR? Yes. He probably should just be the 2nd almost check down WR on most plays. As far as his pay goes, I would 1st shift the schemes to drop the number of plays down that are meant to go to him, and let it play out. Evans should emerge as a #1 WR target, string the DB's out farther, which will again open Moulds underneath. Watching the ATL game it was also apparent that the WR are running plays that take to long to develop; their routes are too long. Moulds on quick slants could be deadly. After the seasons over, and with a half a season as Moulds as the #2, we could be in a strong position to ask Moulds for a cut. IF Evans has stepped up to be the #1 guy, if not, we are stuck with Moulds as the #1. But if Evans earns the top spot, ask Moulds to take a pay cut. We end up developing Evans, keeping a highly qualified possession type in Moulds, and reducing his salary to spend elsewhere. That seems like a sensible fix.<o:p></o:p>
2) Mike Williams at his worst is a behemoth RT with quick feet. When he has played, he has recently been described as an up and comer. He can be dominant we all have seen it. Again with MW, his pay is probably a bit too much. His rash of injuries is something that is very troublesome. What id like to see is us start a guy like Peters at RT, and work to trade Williams player for player. Im not sure who has T's that they would part with. If it wasnt for the injuries, I would keep him and work at his contract somehow. But teh injuries just plain kills us where we struggle to throw someone in, take costly penalties and drive killing sacks. RT is a position where we need solid road grader types that dont get hurt. Who would be worthy of trading for? How about Leonard Davis? or Robert Gallery? Gallery would seem to be worth more than MW, but he has been inconsistent so who knows. Itrs tough to be honest which brings up a point about TD. Hopw easy WOULD it be to fix the MW issue? I bet its pretty damn hard because their arent alot of examples of RT who were drafted recently that have so much more worth and are in fact available via trade. Moreover, Im not so sure as a draftnick that I could name that many RT's drafted on our since MW that are so much better. So, we may be a bit to tough on TD about this one. It may be we need to just keep MW.<o:p></o:p>
3) London Fletcher is a guy who we always knew was perfect for a 4-3. Thats what we run. He is so fast, he can cover everything. But what he CANT do is be the bigtime run stuffer unassisted. Well, we let Pat go because he was commanding more cash than we felt he was worth. However, we didnt replace him and may have over valued the depth behind him. Fletcher without big run stuffing DT's is a liability against the run. This was a costly mistake. Especially when guys like Gerrard Warren, Corey Simon were available. Ron Edwards really had one good game, he isnt the player that Pat was. I cant blame TD for taking a chance here with sticking with Ron. He simply expected him to step up, he only marginally did so. Tim Anderson is by no means a sleeper and has very limited upside, Justin Bannan is just too small and his arms are too short, I saw this as a problem on a few plays against NE. So, this simply has to be addressed. I really wish we would have grabbed Gerrard Warren. There was a reason he was taken so high. Just because he sucked on a sh_tty team like Clev, doesnt mean he cant play. Damione Lewis currently is a backup for STL but has loads of talent, the size, and can be dominant. He becomes a UFA this year, lets get him. The other options is to go to a stud 4-3 MLB who can cover lots of ground AND has the size and strength to stuff the run. AJ Hawk maybe. That way we could also save some cash on Fletchers cap hit. I like him though. But Fletcher+Adams and another weak DT= disaster.<o:p></o:p>
3) The QB spot. I think TD had it right in his move to grab JP. Forget who he grabbed for a second and consider WHY he grabbed a QB. It was because he wanted to be 1 year ahead of the game. Thats a wonderful plan and we may never know if it saved us a year or not. Now, TD has been here through AVP, RJ, Flutie, and Bledsoe. None except for Flutie had a real strong will and verbal leadership style. And Flutie wasnt Jim Kelly. After those guys with a few of them being certainly capable of getting a team to the playoffs, he came to the conclusion that we needed more. Not necessarily in talent, but yes that as well. But mostly in approach and style. Jim Kelly would get into the huddle and simply blast the palyers who were screwing up to force wins, remember? This team is now and has been seriously devoid of that type of mental toughness since he left. TKO may be the closest guy, yeah Milloy may do it too but I havent seen that much of it from him to be honest. We MUST HAVE a strong willed leader who will jack the team up when he needs to. So, he saw that type of quality in JP and grabbed it. I absolutely LOVE that he got a guy that acts that way. IF JP steps up as far as decision making and his on the field play, we will ADORE his leadership and IMO it WILL earn us extra wins. Also, in TD looked at a league that has many many young QB's that have struggled and then began to play well enough to win and be competitive. Peyton, Pennington, McNabb, Culpepper, Carr, Palmer, Eli. Carr, Palmer, Eli, really make the poitn about how a QB can become very good if played. But to be honest, NONE of them have the fiery approach that JP has. For us its huge and I honestly cant think of another young QB that has it. I like the pick up and we just need to stick with it.<o:p></o:p>
4) Coaching has been a sore subject. MM has certainly shown that he can get a team to play. Yes, we can be pissed that we didnt go to the playoffs last year but we lost ur first 4 games and STILL ended up being in contention. That actually is worth alot. To be fair, who else in the league as a HC could have guaranteed a playoff berth after that start? Theres very few and the big names were not going to be brought in here on TD's watch. So we are left with guys like Marvin Lewis, John Fox, Charlie Weiss. Im not sure that I see any of those guys as being SO much better than MM, are they good coaches? yeah. But they arent that much better. Weiss? yeah he is successfull in college ball, but he doesnt have to deal with NFL player egos either. MM can win us playoff games and get us there. What he CANT do is work magic. He CANT raise his team that far above their talent level. He CANT get a guy who has only ever been a backup like Holcomb to be a quality, proven starter. He CANT force Losman to learn faster. I have said this many times, Parcells can do things with teams that NO OTHER coach can. Belicheck as well. MM is NOT that level of coach. Therefore, he HAS to have high quality pieces of the puzzle to make up for it. Currently he doesnt. Lets add or develop the RIGHT players to get to the level of talent needed.<o:p></o:p>
5) McGahee is a superstar in this league. Its just that simple. With a few more superstar pieces at WR (maybe a fully developed Evans), QB (maybe Losman becomes that guy), we can be a dominant offense. This team is closely matching the overall build of a Ravens or Bengals type team. I say the Ravens because they can run the ball and have a strong D but are short on big game WR and QB. I say Bengals because I believe that the Bengals are the future for the Bills. I think they represent what we would have one or two years down the road if Losman develops into Palmer. Chad Johnson is the best WR in football, IMO. Evans may not get to that level, but Rudi isnt going tobe McGahee either. I see the Bengals as a close analogy of what we COULD be. We need to start Losman and find out. Back on my point. A team with a 1500+ annual RB, and a D that with some tweaks could be dominant should win games, enough to go to the playoffs. We are one lucky team to have landed a top 5 RB like McGahee and we should thank a gutsy TD for that move. But, we need to not waste it like we wasted our chance with Moulds and build THE dominant O. I think it can be a McGahee, Evans, Losman combo but we need to get going and take our lumps. If it plays out right we can be this years Bengals, next year with an even better D.<o:p></o:p>
So, my moves are:<o:p></o:p>
1) move Moulds to the 2nd WR spot, further develop Evans as your #1 threat. In the offseason adjust his pay to #2 WR pay or let HIM choose to leave.<o:p></o:p>
2) start Losman with your fingers crossed and see if it pays off<o:p></o:p>
3) replace Pat with a big, talented, DT to prevent Fletchers run stopping <o:p></o:p>
liability<o:p></o:p>
4) Add youth with talent to backup and possibly replace an aging Milloy<o:p></o:p>
5) Start Peters and work to trade MW for another young guy who has less injuries or keep MW, reduce his salary, and keep your fingers crossed<o:p></o:p>
6) Add young, HIGH ROUND, G's to possibly replace Bennie the human penalty and others if they faulter.<o:p></o:p>
7) Resign or franchise Nate. Keep him org et a kings ransom in return. If he leaves we better spend our 1st rounder on a replacement or trade him for a guy who is just as good, maybe even better and throw in our extra 3rd rounder. <o:p></o:p>
8) Stick with TD, complain? yes? the bottom line on this team is the bottom line. But he HAS proven he is worth something and there just arent many who are that much better<o:p></o:p>
9) If all the above rae done we can win with MM. But once and for all realize that MM+ average QB+ average D= NO PLAYOFFS. Build a team that he can win with, dont give him crap and expect gold.<o:p></o:p>
Thoughts?<o:p></o:p>

Jan Reimers
11-03-2005, 09:20 AM
Your moves 1-7 are sound and represent a good start toward rebuilding this team. Move 8 - retaining TD - will assure that never happens.

Mudflap1
11-03-2005, 09:26 AM
You had me until you started defending Tom Donahoe. Donahoe is not a good GM, he had to go YESTERDAY!

Jon

Pride
11-03-2005, 09:28 AM
Your post doesnt account for the lack of CAP space we will have.

How do you get a talented LT, 2 guards, DT, and Safetey for what room we will have left?

A better (and more likely) scenerio is:

1. Franchise Nate, and trade him for a 1st rounder (probably a late 1st rounder)
2. Our first Draft pick is a stud DT (since we will be in the higher half of the 1st round)
3. 2nd first round pick is a Saftey (assuming we didnt pick on up in FA)
4. (depending on #3), pick up a Stud LT or Guard in FA
5. Start J.P. but have an open competition in camp.
6. Cut Eric Moulds, and sign a solid #2 (maybe a WR from the colts/rams?) and move Lee into #1.

northernbillfan
11-03-2005, 10:14 AM
I'd like to publish this on the Zone's front page.

Good post.

gr8slayer
11-03-2005, 10:31 AM

How do you get a talented LT, 2 guards, DT, and Safetey for what room we will have left?

1. Franchise Nate, and trade him for a 1st rounder (probably a late 1st rounder)
2. Our first Draft pick is a stud DT (since we will be in the higher half of the 1st round)
6. Cut Eric Moulds, and sign a solid #2 (maybe a WR from the colts/rams?) and move Lee into #1.I agree with everything you said except drafting a DL in the first round.

If Losman (or any QB for that matter) is going to come in and have success he needs those fives guys to cover his ass for him.

justasportsfan
11-03-2005, 10:34 AM
What makes you guys think Evans is capable of being a no. 1 ? Other than running deep , he hasn't showed me any signs that he's capable of breaking double teams. So far, he's nothing more than a younger Price. After him him is the undersized Parrish and Reed (who could be gone) . If we get rid of Moulds we should find another wr who is a proven no. 1.

Let's not keep experimenting w/ unproven players. We've gone that route w/ Reed by attempting to make him no. 2. We know how that panned out.

BSXIII
11-03-2005, 10:38 AM
This sounds all well and good, but I'm not sure how realistic it is. Starting with the WR's, I agree that Moulds is overrated and not worth what he is making, but at this point he is by far the best receiving option on this team. I am pretty concerned about Lee Evans at this point. Not only has he failed to increase his production this year, but his production has dropped off significantly.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/492932

As for Mike Williams. Nobody is gonna trade for him. He's due far more money than he'd earn on the open market, hence nobody is gonna give up anything for him. I agree with you on needing a bigger DT, somebody to replace the departed Pat Williams, but every team in the league is looking for guys to help stop the run. They can tough to come by.

For the QB situation, I don't see what's so special about a "fiery leader". Where do you draw the line between a "fiery leader" and a cocky punk? And how does that have anything to do with their will to win? Isn't leading by example a more honarable trait? You say Bledsoe didn't have that will to win, I think he showed a lot of will last year hanging in the pocket to the last second trying to make a play, as the O-line screwed up time and time again causing him to get drilled before he even finished his 3 step drop.

At this point, this team may need to stockpile draft picks. We need a lot more depth, and let the players compete in training camp. Just blindly handing jobs to guys and making scapegoats of our top players will cause this team to continue taking more steps backward than foward.

X-Era
11-03-2005, 11:52 AM

6. Cut Eric Moulds, and sign a solid #2 (maybe a WR from the colts/rams?) and move Lee into #1.

Well, I didnt get into cap because frankly, I dont know what it is. CP would have more input. Id be suprised if we cant make most of what I described happen from the draft. After the contract changes that proposed I would be suprised if we couldnt land Lewis at a decent mid-range DT contract. I understand that chances are great for Nate to tie up 9 mil. Im actually worried about his tradeability because players like Mcallister and Wood both went that route and didnt get traded to anyone. A proven top 10 or 5 CB should be worth a mid to high 1st rounder, but no one seems willing to pay it. That doesnt bode well for a squad that wants to move a farnchised player. Id rather just resign the guy to a VERY long contract, like 8 years and spread the SB over the whole contract. I like your draft idea, I think it depends on where we end up. If we lose Clements, Id look hard at Jimmy Williams who can play S or CB. We could then maybe move Vincent back to CB. Who knows.

X-Era
11-03-2005, 12:02 PM
I agree with everything you said except drafting a DL in the first round.

If Losman (or any QB for that matter) is going to come in and have success he needs those fives guys to cover his ass for him.

I 80% agree. I just cant get over teams like Dallas, NE, and Den that can run the ball AND have immobile QB's be successful at passing with little, if any, first rounders. Dallas has Adams. NE has Mankins, and Den doesnt have any.

If they can build teams around QB's that can scramble without spending 1st rounders to do it, why cant we?

Im arguing out loud here, I overall agree we should spend our 1st on OL, DT, or CB/S.

X-Era
11-03-2005, 12:03 PM
What makes you guys think Evans is capable of being a no. 1 ? Other than running deep , he hasn't showed me any signs that he's capable of breaking double teams. So far, he's nothing more than a younger Price. After him him is the undersized Parrish and Reed (who could be gone) . If we get rid of Moulds we should find another wr who is a proven no. 1.

Let's not keep experimenting w/ unproven players. We've gone that route w/ Reed by attempting to make him no. 2. We know how that panned out.

Cant disagree with that take at all. We have paid the price in the past on unproven guys. But will TD spend the needed cash to get a #1 proven WR?

I do think your a bit harsh on Evans. He has the best hands (reportedly) and is one of the top speedsters.

X-Era
11-03-2005, 12:10 PM
This sounds all well and good, but I'm not sure how realistic it is. Starting with the WR's, I agree that Moulds is overrated and not worth what he is making, but at this point he is by far the best receiving option on this team. I am pretty concerned about Lee Evans at this point. Not only has he failed to increase his production this year, but his production has dropped off significantly.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/492932

As for Mike Williams. Nobody is gonna trade for him. He's due far more money than he'd earn on the open market, hence nobody is gonna give up anything for him. I agree with you on needing a bigger DT, somebody to replace the departed Pat Williams, but every team in the league is looking for guys to help stop the run. They can tough to come by.

For the QB situation, I don't see what's so special about a "fiery leader". Where do you draw the line between a "fiery leader" and a cocky punk? And how does that have anything to do with their will to win? Isn't leading by example a more honarable trait? You say Bledsoe didn't have that will to win, I think he showed a lot of will last year hanging in the pocket to the last second trying to make a play, as the O-line screwed up time and time again causing him to get drilled before he even finished his 3 step drop.

At this point, this team may need to stockpile draft picks. We need a lot more depth, and let the players compete in training camp. Just blindly handing jobs to guys and making scapegoats of our top players will cause this team to continue taking more steps backward than foward.

Cant disagree with your assessment on the difficulties in landing a top notch DT. I think Damione Lewis can be had for UNDER what Pat got, to me hes younger and better than Pat.

As far as WR. Moulds isnt our deep threat, its Evans. Furthermore, Moulds has shown some serious dropsies. My post did not assume Evans is a better player than Moulds right now, it assumed that Evans has upside that needs to be developed and that Moulds's time as a #1 is drawing short due to his declining play. Its merely a lets get started on our new #1 WR now, when the season is pretty much in the tank, instead of Evans is better than Moulds.

As far as the QB thingy goes. You asked what the difference between a fiery leader and a cocky punk is..... Jim Kelly and Ryan Leaf. Jim proved it on the field and forced his sometimes mentaly weak team to win. We havent had that in a decade and need it BADLY. To me, RJ, Flutie, Drew, and now Holcomb have proven that we cant get it done WITHOUT the fiery approach. We are short on mental toughness and leadership, who better to fill in than the QB. It worked with Jim K at the helm, it hasnt worked without it, why not try it again with JP.

justasportsfan
11-03-2005, 01:23 PM
.I don't think Moulds is overrated at all. He's come alive ever since Holcomb who's an average qb at best came in. Imagine what Moulds could do if he was playing for the colts.

If we cut him, I wouldn't be surprised if he joins his buddy Harrison w/ the colts for a discount just so that he knows what it's like to be in an offensive system that can make use of his abilities and win.

I'd rather we get rid of TD than moulds.

Lexwhat
11-03-2005, 01:37 PM
Sometimes I don't understand where some people get their ideas from. Cut Moulds?? Some people complain about TD so much, but their suggestions are laughable.

First of all, why would you cut Moulds? If anything, you have to respect the intangables that he brings. No he's not the same Moulds he was before. But defenses are always paying attention to Moulds (not like a Randy Moss, but having Moulds on the field opens things up for other receivers). If you want to cut Moulds so bad, then suggest someone else to take his spot! If you think you can find a WR for under 5 Million a year that can do the things that Moulds does, then I wanna hear about it! And don't even tell me another team's 2nd WR either. There's a big difference between being a true #1 receiver and a 2nd WR that benefit's from a defense's lack of attention. Or else, name a WR that makes the same as Moulds that's going to be a free agent that we can pay the money to. Cutting Moulds and leaving our roster the way it is would be a big mistake. Lee Evans isn't having a great year as it is!

If you're gonna criticize someone on the team, then suggest what other options we have. You sound like an amateur with all the "get rid of Moulds!" talk when that's all you say.

Lexwhat
11-03-2005, 01:43 PM
You know, all this talk about people discussing whether we should draft a DT or a DE, made me wonder. Since I don't follow college football too much, I was wondering if there were any DT/DE versatile players in the upcoming draft (a Richard Seymour type). I would love to have a player like that on my team. Especially with the way Jerry Grey mixes up the blitz packages, a player like Seymour would be very helpful to our defense.

If not, I still say we should most likely pick a DT before we pick a DE. But of course, it depends on who is available and our draft position.

X-Era
11-03-2005, 01:45 PM
Sometimes I don't understand where some people get their ideas from. Cut Moulds?? Some people complain about TD so much, but their suggestions are laughable.

First of all, why would you cut Moulds? If anything, you have to respect the intangables that he brings. No he's not the same Moulds he was before. But defenses are always paying attention to Moulds (not like a Randy Moss, but having Moulds on the field opens things up for other receivers). If you want to cut Moulds so bad, then suggest someone else to take his spot! If you think you can find a WR for under 5 Million a year that can do the things that Moulds does, then I wanna hear about it! And don't even tell me another team's 2nd WR either. There's a big difference between being a true #1 receiver and a 2nd WR that benefit's from a defense's lack of attention. Or else, name a WR that makes the same as Moulds that's going to be a free agent that we can pay the money to. Cutting Moulds and leaving our roster the way it is would be a big mistake. Lee Evans isn't having a great year as it is!

If you're gonna criticize someone on the team, then suggest what other options we have. You sound like an amateur with all the "get rid of Moulds!" talk when that's all you say.

Woah. That isnt what I proposed at all. I what I proposed was to give Evans the chance to develop his skills further by making him the primary target. Then, after the season is over, restructuring Moulds as the #2 guy if all goes well and Evans steps up. If not, Moulds remains the #1. Cutting him was my last option and was based only on him refusing to be the #2 guy and take a cut. Facts are facts here. Yes, the guy doesnt have a great QB throwing to him, but he also isnt the same guy anymore. Rather than stunt Evans's growth by locking onto Moulds only, lets switch the roles between him and Evans. That way, Evans will get the first look which should be deeper and take advantage of his speed, and Moulds will have a better shot to be open underneath which is his strength at this point.

Lexwhat
11-03-2005, 01:46 PM

By the way, I wasn't talking about anyone in particular in this thread. It was more general towards everyone in this board.

Lexwhat
11-03-2005, 01:47 PM
Woah. That isnt what I proposed at all.

I know. I didnt mean to make it sound like I was talkin about you.

X-Era
11-03-2005, 01:47 PM
You know, all this talk about people discussing whether we should draft a DT or a DE, made me wonder. Since I don't follow college football too much, I was wondering if there were any DT/DE versatile players in the upcoming draft (a Richard Seymour type). I would love to have a player like that on my team. Especially with the way Jerry Grey mixes up the blitz packages, a player like Seymour would be very helpful to our defense.

If not, I still say we should most likely pick a DT before we pick a DE. But of course, it depends on who is available and our draft position.

Id say a guy like Orien Harris from Miami.

Lexwhat
11-03-2005, 01:56 PM
Woah. That isnt what I proposed at all. I what I proposed was to give Evans the chance to develop his skills further by making him the primary target. Then, after the season is over, restructuring Moulds as the #2 guy if all goes well and Evans steps up. If not, Moulds remains the #1. Cutting him was my last option and was based only on him refusing to be the #2 guy and take a cut. Facts are facts here. Yes, the guy doesnt have a great QB throwing to him, but he also isnt the same guy anymore. Rather than stunt Evans's growth by locking onto Moulds only, lets switch the roles between him and Evans. That way, Evans will get the first look which should be deeper and take advantage of his speed, and Moulds will have a better shot to be open underneath which is his strength at this point.

I do see what you are saying. I guess it's just hard to tell at this point. I still dont think Evans is doing enough even against single coverage. If he moved into #1, I COULD see him doing well. However, if Moulds is gone after this season, I dont think Evans could continue to be as productive. I think also what it would require, at least for this year, is Roscoe Parrish to start making some significant contributions at his spot as well. Ideally, I would like to see Roscoe and Lee opposite each other, and have Moulds in the slot. It's a good scenario, but whether or not Roscoe and Lee could handle it is a different question.

But basically, I think that Moulds's intangables can't be underestimated. Even if Evans becomes the new #1, getting rid of Moulds would hurt this team badly, IMO. I mean, our passing offense is poor as it as, and making it worse doesn't really help. But bottom line, I like your suggestion, but I dont think it could happen this year. I think we need Moulds for at least 1 more season after this one, but thats just my humble opinion.

northernbillfan
11-03-2005, 03:33 PM
This post made the Zone's front page: Full article (http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2005/11/03/after_many_weeks_many_things_are_perfectly_clear_to_buffalo_bills_fans.php)