PDA

View Full Version : WEEK 9: Post your picks!

doomsdayvirus
11-03-2005, 03:14 PM
I've gone 10-4 (71%) for 5 weeks running now, but those first 3 weeks are still killing my season average. I've decided to try and be less smart this week and make some picks based on gut instinct. Sure, it may very well sink my ship, but most of my incorrect picks so far have come when I went against my instincts. Let's see what happens.

********** # ********** # ********** # **********

CINCINNATI @ BALTIMORE : BALTIMORE
I know I really shouldn't do this, but something keeps telling me that Cincinnati really isn't that good. They've yet to beat a real team, and could still make the playoffs without beating a single team over .500. Baltimore is hungry for a win, and their defense will give it to them at home this week in an upset that nobody in the media dares to call.

ATLANTA @ MIAMI : ATLANTA
Enough about Miami's spectacular defense shutting down Vick. Kind of like how they shut down Holcomb? Please...

DETROIT @ MINNESOTA : DETROIT
A bad situation in Minnesota just keeps getting worse by the minute. Culpepper's out for the season and the national news media has already taken to reporting coach Mike Tice's dismissal. And we're not even halfway through the season. Even bumbling Detroit can take advantage of this situation, as their QB fights to keep his career alive. At least the Lions have a QB.

SAN DIEGO @ NEW YORK (NYJ): SAN DIEGO
San Diego continues it's stretch of playing teams coming off bye weeks. However it won't make a difference this week because they're playing the Jets.

CAROLINA @ TAMPA BAY : TAMPA BAY
Both Carolina and Tampa have one thing in common. They both only lose to bad teams*. I've been seeing a lot of press picking Carolina and picking on Chris Simms this week, but I'm not buying it. Tampa historically has trouble winning on the west coast, so forget last week's debacle for a moment and consider:

Carolina has barely beaten the teams they have prevailed over.
Tampa's defense has steadily refused to give up points.
Losing Griese was a setback, but Simms and Galloway seem to be getting into rhythm now.
Cadillac is back.
Tampa is at home.*Carolina has lost to: Green Bay and New Orleans.
Tampa Bay has lost to: New York Jets and San Francisco.

TENNESSEE @ CLEVELAND : CLEVELAND
After they let me down last week I swore I would stop being over confident in Cleveland. But they have some serious making up to do this week, and what a better way to do it then at home on the blustery shores of Lake Erie against a struggling Titans team from the deep south.

HOUSTON @ JACKSONVILLE : JACKSONVILLE
Houston had their win for the season.

OAKLAND @ KANSAS CITY : KANSAS CITY
An old rivalry continues. Oakland may have finally found it's fire, but KC has been on fire all season. When they lose, it's not by much and Arrowhead is just one of those stadiums...

CHICAGO @ NEW ORLEANS : NEW ORLEANS
As much as I've coasted on Chicago all season, I have to pick the Saints here. They're overdue for a win, and Chicago is due for a loss. All the media attention this week has got them and their fans a fired up.

SEATTLE @ ARIZONA : SEATTLE
Seattle leads the league in offensive yards with a whopping 390.3 per game average. Arizona has potential, but not enough to overcome stats like that.

NEW YORK (NYG) @ SAN FRANCISCO : NEW YORK (NYG)
Speaking of league leaders, the Giants are first in points per game with 29.9. San Francisco is bringing up the rear with the league's worst defense and 2nd worst offensive yards per game.

PITTSBURGH @ GREEN BAY : PITTSBURGH
It was heart-wrenching to watch Brett Farve crawling around on the field at the end of last week's loss to the Bengals. But the pain isn't over yet. The Steelers are a team that can adapt to losing their quarterback. The Packers are a team with only a quarterback. If only poor Brett could jump ship this week.

PHILADELPHIA @ WASHINGTON : WASHINGTON
McNabb is hurting, and Owens may be out. The good news is Washington is terrible against the run. The bad news is Philly has no running game and leads the league in pass defense (yards allowed). The battle for the NFC East is far from over.

INDIANAPOLIS @ NEW ENGLAND : NEW ENGLAND
Sorry Bruschi haters but this run is over. It's getting kind of cold in New England right now, and it will only get colder as night falls on the Colts in their place of nightmares... Foxboro, MA.

BUFFALO @ BYE WEEK : BYE WEEK
The Bills fall to 3-6 as they somehow find a way to lose to their bye week.

Season & Weekly Record
------------------------------
WK 1......8/16...(8-8)....50%
WK 2......6/16...(6-10)...38%
WK 3......6/14...(6-8)....42%
WK 4.....10/14...(10-4)...71%
WK 5.....10/14...(10-4)...71%
WK 6.....10/14...(10-4)...71%
WK 7.....10/14...(10-4)...71%
WK 8.....10/14...(10-4)...71%
Season...70/116..(70-46)..60%

DynaPaul
11-03-2005, 05:40 PM
I was 10 - 4 last week as well. 51 - 33 on the season, still above .500 but I'd like to boost that up a bit. Here's mine this week:

Atlanta at Miami: Call me a dummy but I think the Dolphins can pull this one off. Miami

Carolina at Tampa Bay: Since Griese went down the QB play hasn't been as consistent. The Panthers are playing good ball and I think they can upset the Bucs at home. Carolina.

Cincinnati at Baltimore: The Bengals haven't been that great on the road and they barely squeeked one out last week against the Pack despite 5 interceptions. I'm looking for the Ravens to win at home. Baltimore.

Detroit at Minnesota: Vikes still in bad shape, Daunte is done for the year though that might help the team with a more consistent QB behind center. I think the Lions can steal this one. Detroit.

Houston at Jacksonville: I picked the Texans last week and they pulled it out. This week though it's a different story... Jacksonville.

Oakland at Kansas City: This is always a tough rivalry. Oakland had a good win last week while the Chiefs fell to the mighty Chargers. Trent Green will have his head screwed on this game and the Chiefs will keep the Raiders down in the AFC West cellar. Kansas City.

San Diego at N.Y. Jets: The Chargers will keep rolling over this lame New Jersey team. LT has another big game. San Diego.

Tennessee at Cleveland: Both of these duds have lost 3 games in a row. McNair isn't playing, the Titans are pretty banged up in general, and the Browns will probably not play Dilfer after some bad play. I'm gonna go with the home team. Cleveland.

Chicago at New Orleans: I think the Bears are going to lose one on the road and tighten up that NFC North race with Detroit. The Saints have lost 4 in a row, they're due. New Orleans.

N.Y Giants at San Francisco: The 49ers pulled out an upset win over the Bucs last week. Unfortunately they're not for real, look for Big Blue to keep rolling. N.Y. Giants.

Seattle at Arizona: Last time these two teams played Kurt Warner was knocked on his ass. Josh McCown looks like he's going to sit and Warner may be starting just in time for the Seahawks again. The second time he won't fare any better against this rested team. Seattle.

Pittsburgh at Green Bay: Sure, Big Ben is out but the Steelers are undefeated on the road. Brett Favre's fortunes aren't going to get any better and John Madden just might finally croak over it. Lambeau Field just doesn't have the magic anymore. Pittsburgh.

Philadelphia at Washington: Look for the Skins to bounce back from that ass-kicking against an Eagles team with more drama than those goofy reality TV shows. Washington.

Indianapolis at New England: The Colts are off a bye week, fired up, and ready to get that monkey off their backs. The Patriots are weaker than ever and facing a much improved Colts defense. So it should go Indy's way right? Wrong. I don't see the Colts winning against New England's formidable referee corps. Somehow the Patriots will find a way to win. (This is the one pick I hope I'm wrong about!). New England.

ParanoidAndroid
11-03-2005, 08:01 PM
Atlanta @ Miami
Miami should be able to exploit Atlanta's weak defensive backfield but it won't be enough to overcome the leagues second ranked rushing offense. Look for Crumpler to have a good day against Miami's slow linebackers.

Carolina @ Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay is finally going to play a team that knows how to win. After a loss on the road to SF, they will be looking to save face, but it won't come against a Carolina team that is solid in the trenches.

Cincinnatti @ Baltimore
Baltimore's defense may have finally woken up, but their offense is still anemic. Wright will be victimized at least twice by a defense that already has 20 picks on this young season. This one should be close, but the turnovers give Cinci the win.

Detroit @ Minnesota
Brad Johnson takes over for a shellshocked Culpepper and uses all his weapons against a vulnerable Detroit defensive backfield. One name we should hear that we haven't much this season is Nate Burleson. Detroit should put up rushing numbers, but they just can't seem to put it in the endzone.

Houston @ Jacksonville
Jacksonville should get back on track against a poor team. Houston cannot move the ball with consistency and Dominick Davis will be a marked man as he always is. Fred Taylor should have a second straight 100+ yd day.

Oakland @ Kansas City
KC is still one of the most potent offenses in the league but their defense isn't making things easy. Look for a shootout. We all know what the outcome of a shootout in Arrowhead will be. The sightly better defense wins with the help of the 12th man.

San Diego @ NY Jets
The Jets are in big trouble again and San Diego matches up awefully well. Tomlinson should be back to form and Gates will have another solid outing. If the Jets can protect Testaverde, he could do some damage, as San Diego has been soft on pass defense.

Tennessee @ Cleveland
Romeo Crennel has his no name defense playing fairly well, but not well enough to contain one of the more football intelligent QB's in the league. McNair should put up some points. Cleveland should keep this close against a soft Tennessee defense at home, but they lose the close ones.

Chicago @ Baton Rouge
If Brooks can keep from turning the ball over every other posession, the Saints have a chance. Last week, I gave them no chance against Miami on the grass. This week, I think they get beat again. Chicago just takes the ball away too well and Thomas Jones is putting up 100 yard games against everyone.

NY Giants @ San Francisco
No anomalies this week. Giants in a rout.

Seattle @ Arizona
This could be Seattle's year to make it to the dance. They are playing solid defense, running the ball well, and not turning it over much. With a suspect O-line and no running game in Arizona, look for the 'Hawks to tee off on Warner all day. Don't be surprised to see the more mobile and durable McCown in the game later on.

Pittsburgh @ Green Bay
Favre's back has got to be sore from carrying this team. He alone will not be enough to stop the Black and Yellow, even in Lambeau.

Philadelphia @ Washington
The 'Skins were embarrassed last week by an emotionally charged Giants team. It almost looked like their offense laid down and took a nap. Not this week. They will keep it tight against the soap opera that is the Philadelphia Eagles. The thing is, every time Philly has a chaotic week like this, where everyone starts to count them out, they come in and prove everyone wrong.
Owens has already been upgraged to questionable and practiced well yesterday. He'll play, Kearse and Trotter will play, and Philly will start retaking the NFC East.

Indianapolis @ New England
New England no longer has the defense to stop even mediocre offenses, even at home, as Buffalo made so evident last week. They will get punished by Indianapolis who all of a sudden has a championship quality defense. It will be the difference here and Peyton Manning will be taking a knee to end this game.

This week could be some kind of record for visting team wins. I've never picked against this many home teams.

CanaanVtBillsFan
11-04-2005, 11:14 AM
Well my analogies suck
my picks suck
you guys got me by a game last week, so like Doomsday said about himself I'll take the same approach
No more deep thinking about this
I actually was 12-14 on a yahoo pick em, and I just winged it

so lets see if I'll get my wings clipped
atl-miami atl
carol-TBTB
chic-nochic
cincy-baltcincy
det-minndet
hou-jacksjacks
oak-kcoak
sd-nyjsd
tenn-cletenn
nyg-sfnyg
seat-ariseat
pit-gbpit
phil-washwash
indy-neindyscrew stats PLEASE PLEASE INDY

thats it
this eason has really caused me some depression
I havent done any research on games or anything

LAst weeks game I said to my wife look at the Bills they're really playing well, but I'm not believeing it. I felt i was like a bait trap and sure as &*(& NE did it to us

I was almost like a ratings ploy

O WELL I NEED HELP

CanaanVtBillsFan
11-06-2005, 11:00 PM
So far DEvil Paul, Canaan Vt, and Doomsday are 9-4, but Damn AndyXC71 is 11-2:king:

Way to go you picked some tough ones

doomsdayvirus
11-07-2005, 08:57 AM
i knew i shouldn't have picked baltimore, tampa, new orleans, or detroit, but i tried getting all smart again. i really have to knock it off...

gr8slayer
11-07-2005, 09:28 AM
Not your best day huh?

ParanoidAndroid
11-07-2005, 09:50 AM
YAY!!! What do I win? :D