X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

OT-Could use some help with a survey

As some of you know, I'm in college part-time and this semester I'm taking a statistics course. The final project I've chosen was to determine how far (in hours) the typical Bills fan travels to a game at the Ralph..for those who make it to 4 or more games a season, that is. I've gotten some of the data I need but it's not enough. I need at least 30 samples and I'm way short of that so far.

To the mods: I know this is offtopic but I was hoping to leave this here at least for a few hours to catch some of the crowd before they left their offices...some of whom rarely venture into the Twilight zone.

Any is appreciated. Thanks
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!
  • Italian Stallion
    Knows More Than You
    • Feb 2004

Re: OT-Could use some help with a survey

It's roughly an hour and a half for me (due to gameday traffic) otherwise i could make it there in less than an hour.
    BILLS FOOTBALL

SABRES HOCKEY

METS BASEBALL

I like cheeseburgers and eva mendes

Comment

• generalmills
      • Sep 2003

waterloo to orchard park is about 125 miles

anyother info?

Comment

• The_Philster
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by generalmills
        waterloo to orchard park is about 125 miles

anyother info?
        so about 2 hours or so? That's all I need...thanks, bro
        The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• generalmills
          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by The_Philster
          so about 2 hours or so? That's all I need...thanks, bro
          yup.. 2 and a half without stopping at Duty-Free

Comment

• Typ0
            honey pie
            • Jul 2002

I hate to tell you this Phil...but since it's a stats class I'll let loose. You aren't getting samples you are getting observations. And, since your observations aren't random you are introducing a great deal of bias into your results. I don't know the focus of your stats class but I would expect in order to do this you would need to know how many are actually in the population and then randomly take enough observations such that the sampling error falls within the range of statistical significance you want.

Comment

• Bufftp
              Hi Dave!

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Typ0
              I hate to tell you this Phil...but since it's a stats class I'll let loose. You aren't getting samples you are getting observations. And, since your observations aren't random you are introducing a great deal of bias into your results. I don't know the focus of your stats class but I would expect in order to do this you would need to know how many are actually in the population and then randomly take enough observations such that the sampling error falls within the range of statistical significance you want.
              yeah but how far to the stadium for you....
              Photobucket

In the end, there are only three liberal archetypes: The fools, the beneficiaries and the crooks.
              "If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
              Optyimus Ignorus Realityious!

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
              - John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

To live in the presence of great truths and eternal laws,
              to be led by permanent ideals -
              that is what keeps a man patient
              when the world ignores him,
              and calm and unspoiled when the world praises him. -- Honore De Balzac

Comment

• Typ0
                honey pie
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Bufftp
                yeah but how far to the stadium for you....
                it doesn't matter because I am not part of the population that travels to four or more games a season.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                  • Sep 2003

About 5 hours for me, I live outside of Albany.

Comment

• The_Philster
                    • Jul 2002

this is basically what she asked for..get 30 or more responses to a question..numerical responses in hours, mind you that will be used in the project. The only way to get a 100% accurate sample is to survey the entire stadium and that's just way too much to do

Comment

• Typ0
                      honey pie
                      • Jul 2002

this is basically what she asked for..get 30 or more responses to a question..numerical responses in hours, mind you that will be used in the project. The only way to get a 100% accurate sample is to survey the entire stadium and that's just way too much to do

even surveying the stadium during a game wouldn't work...because the criteria of your population is they travel to four or more games a season. Basically, what I'm saying is...you are screwed in trying to achieve your objectives...but since it's just a simulation I'm sure you will do fine. I wasn't trying to be a wise ass I was just trying to help. You can put me down for 20 miles.

Comment

• im4bflo
                        the EPITOMY of PATHETIC
                        • Sep 2003

My trips from So. Cal. take about 5 hours, 5 and a half back.

Comment

• Michael82
                          • Jul 2002

It takes me about an hour and 10 minutes, depending on fast I go, and how bad the traffic is. And this is from Greece (Rochester), NY.

Comment

• The_Philster
                            • Jul 2002

even surveying the stadium during a game wouldn't work...because the criteria of your population is they travel to four or more games a season. Basically, what I'm saying is...you are screwed in trying to achieve your objectives...but since it's just a simulation I'm sure you will do fine. I wasn't trying to be a wise ass I was just trying to help. You can put me down for 20 miles.
                            oh, I know you were trying to help..and yeah, the only really accurate way is to ask everyone at each game...and eliminate the responses of those who were there less than 4 times

Comment

• Michael82
                              • Jul 2002

oh, I know you were trying to help..and yeah, the only really accurate way is to ask everyone at each game...and eliminate the responses of those who were there less than 4 times
                              Have fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X