PDA

View Full Version : This is the kind of guy we need to be our Head Coach...

Michael82
11-04-2005, 04:14 AM
Chad Johnson had a new list in his locker Wednesday. And it was courtesy of someone Johnson referred to as a "higher authority" — otherwise known as his laminator-in-chief.

Johnson on Tuesday replaced his "Who covered 85 in 2005?" list with one that named all of the Ravens' defensive backs; the Bengals will play Sunday in Baltimore.

"I can't tell you," Johnson said Wednesday when asked for more specifics of his Ravens list. "Ask the chief. He did it. He messed up my fun for the week, man — anything else?

"I'm trying to think of some trash to talk here, but I've got a brain freeze."

Late Tuesday evening, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis caught wind of Johnson's new Ravens-only list and went to work on a list of his own.

"I had a little alert, yep. Appreciate that. You know, communication and identification (are) important this week," Lewis said Wednesday. "I made it last night about 11:30. My list is important. It's up there."

The heading on the list reads: "Did 85 do everything he could to lead His Team to Victory 11-6-05?"

It's followed by six questions, which are followed by "yes" and "no" boxes that can be checked.

Did Lewis himself even laminate the list?

"Yes," he said. "I had to wait for (the machine) to heat up."

The Lewis list challenges Johnson, a two-time Pro Bowl wide receiver, to watch more game tape of the Ravens, finish his blocks and make a teammate a better player.

Asked for the most important points on the list, Johnson said the ones about watching more film and making a teammate better.

Lewis said the most important point on the list was the first one — watch more Ravens tape to learn the ins and outs of the defense.

Asked who gets to check the boxes on the new list after the game, Lewis said, "Me."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bengals/2005-11-04-johnson-chart_x.htm

The_Philster
11-04-2005, 04:54 AM
He was showing that off on Total Access last night...pretty cool. Thing is, crying about not getting Lewis should be aimed at him...Lewis himself turned down the offer to be our head coach

Michael82
11-04-2005, 05:01 AM
He was showing that off on Total Access last night...pretty cool. Thing is, crying about not getting Lewis should be aimed at him...Lewis himself turned down the offer to be our head coach
I know that. :rolleyes:

I'm *****ing about not getting a coach that has the balls to stand up to his egotistic players that cry and and whine to get their way. If we had a coach like Marvin Lewis, Tom Coughlin, Bill Parcells, they might have stuck with Losman all the way thru, or put him back in by now at 3-5 and with a bye week, they would tell their players to STFU and to let him develop so they could see what they got for next season and beyond.

The_Philster
11-04-2005, 05:04 AM
Parcells started Bledsoe right from the start...didn't give him a season on the bench to watch...he wanted him to develop

Michael82
11-04-2005, 05:25 AM
Parcells started Bledsoe right from the start...didn't give him a season on the bench to watch...he wanted him to develop
see, there ya go. :up:

Jan Reimers
11-04-2005, 05:45 AM
All I know is, Mike Mularkey comes across as a weak, indecisive head coach. The players may like him, but I don't think they respect - or more importantly - fear him.

chubluv
11-04-2005, 07:51 AM
All I know is, Mike Mularkey comes across as a weak, indecisive head coach. The players may like him, but I don't think they respect - or more importantly - fear him.

Great post! I couldnt agree with you more. TD needs to step down as GM and let someone whos not afraid to hire a fiery head coach.

BillsFever21
11-04-2005, 08:11 AM

It's the same as any workforce. If you have a boss who lets you get away with everything then he is usually the one who is liked. If you have a boss who shows auhority most of the people under him doesn't care for him.

This is the situation we have going on right now. In most cases if everyone likes the boss and thinks he is a great guy it's because he's not laying down the law like he should be.

BillsFever21
11-04-2005, 08:13 AM

That's the story they want you to know. I highly doubt he'd turn down a HC job he wanted to get for years to be a DC for two more seasons and then accept a job in Cinci where the organization hadn't won for years?

If he didn't wanna coach here then why even try for the job? Would you apply for a job you didn't want?

madness
11-04-2005, 08:42 AM
I'm defending him but Mularky has done his share of benching players since he's been here. Why do people think he's to weak to stand up to his players?

Mudflap1
11-04-2005, 09:52 AM
Thing is, crying about not getting Lewis should be aimed at him...Lewis himself turned down the offer to be our head coach

Can you blame him? He's a take charge guy. WAKE UP PEOPLE! Tom Donahoe is an egotistical GM to the tilt, he only wants guys he can control. He probably low-balled him. Lewis probably said "I don't wanna work for this guy..." There's a reason that Charlie Weis, Romeo Crennel, Marvin Lewis, John Fox etc. had all been looked at or interviewed and didn't get the job here, or a job offer. It isn't because Gregg Williams' and Mike Mularkey's preparation and interview was SO much more impressive than the others. How could that be possible? Mularkey was more impressive than Weis? Williams was more impressive than Fox? PLEASE! It's because Tom Donahoe wants to be top dog and doesn't want to bring in a guy with a take-charge, it's my way or the highway approach. Donahoe needs to go. Until that happens, this franchise is disgusting and embarrassing to be associated with.

Jon

BuffaloRanger
11-04-2005, 09:52 AM
I am a big fan of the way Mularky challenges plays that were obviously called correctly. The first challenge in the first half f the Pats game was re-dick-a-lus. Who the hell is advising him to challenge that call. It's not like baseball where the manager protests a call in hopes of getting a call go their way later.

He looks like an incompetent fool challenging calls that the whole world can see where right.

footballhottie
11-04-2005, 10:12 AM
MM would be fine if TD didn't have him on a string like a puppet.

The last buffalo fan
11-04-2005, 10:21 AM
I agree with all of you about it, but movies come to my mind (sorry for this!!) like, Titans (Denzel W), Any given Sunday (Pacino) Friday Night lights, Coach Carter and Rudy to name a few. Add to that our last HC, the boobs man, and what we got?? Several approaches and ways or styles to coach/teach and or handdle the players/staff/directives and the adversity, but the only common thing all that people had, was leadership. We don't need horns at 5 am, or an @$$hole as a coach, they are pros, and are getting paid (from you) just to "play" a game. What they need is STFU and get back to work, be a leader or follow the one and only leader on the team.

Mitchy moo
11-04-2005, 10:24 AM

that's because TD needed someone to act through and he wouldn't take anyone's crap. Puppets are good for shows not footbal teams.

frank74
11-04-2005, 12:05 PM
Can you blame him? He's a take charge guy. WAKE UP PEOPLE! Tom Donahoe is an egotistical GM to the tilt, he only wants guys he can control. He probably low-balled him. Lewis probably said "I don't wanna work for this guy..." There's a reason that Charlie Weis, Romeo Crennel, Marvin Lewis, John Fox etc. had all been looked at or interviewed and didn't get the job here, or a job offer. It isn't because Gregg Williams' and Mike Mularkey's preparation and interview was SO much more impressive than the others. How could that be possible? Mularkey was more impressive than Weis? Williams was more impressive than Fox? PLEASE! It's because Tom Donahoe wants to be top dog and doesn't want to bring in a guy with a take-charge, it's my way or the highway approach. Donahoe needs to go. Until that happens, this franchise is disgusting and embarrassing to be associated with.

Jon

well said, and that is the truth whether people want to believe it or not. Donahoe has a serious inferiority complex.

Michael82
11-05-2005, 10:16 AM
I am a big fan of the way Mularky challenges plays that were obviously called correctly. The first challenge in the first half f the Pats game was re-dick-a-lus. Who the hell is advising him to challenge that call. It's not like baseball where the manager protests a call in hopes of getting a call go their way later.
He looks like an incompetent fool challenging calls that the whole world can see where right.

Agreed. He seems to have followed Gregg Williams with the ****ty challenges. :ill: