PDA

View Full Version : Donahoe befuddled by failure to close games

The_Philster
11-04-2005, 05:12 AM
Two seasons ago, after his team lost five games by a total of just 21 points, Buffalo Bills general manager Tom Donahoe questioned players' mental toughness and fired his head coach.
After watching his team lose the lead or squander a comeback in the fourth quarter of four games so far this season, Donahoe doesn't think talent or coaching is to blame. In fact, he likes everything about his team, 3-5 at the NFL season's midway point, except its inability to finish games on a strong note. more (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051104/SPORTS03/511040418/1021)

Michael82
11-04-2005, 05:37 AM
I think they should hire a sports psychologist or something. Donahoe was right before, this team is not mentally tough. They have a problem on the road and have a problem holding onto leads and have a problem coming back. i think it's because they have all lost so many times that they need to remember how to win, how to come from behind. They need some help to get mentally tough.

Jan Reimers
11-04-2005, 05:37 AM
More of Donahoe's rationalizations for his complete failure to revitalize this team.

Earthquake Enyart
11-04-2005, 06:34 AM
Well, it's not the lack of talent or poor coaching. Both TD and MM agree on that.

BAM
11-04-2005, 06:35 AM
befuddled :rolleyes:

fushetti
11-04-2005, 06:59 AM
Mr. Donahoe, please take your rightful place in upper management and hire a real GM.

BillsFever21
11-04-2005, 07:55 AM
"I don't think it's a question of talent. I don't think it's a question of coaching. It's a question of just putting it all together, and we need to do that in all three phases."

What an idiot. If it's not talent or coaching then what is it? If neither was a problem then this wouldn't be happening.

RedEyE
11-04-2005, 08:57 AM
Mularkey is no different than G. Williams. Both of them have the ability to get things done when they focus on their specialty (Williams DC / Mularkey OC), but both seriously lack the ability to lead an entire team. I said it before when Williams was fired, I want a HC that has the ability to fire his team up, keep them focused on the game, and can inspire his supporting coaching staff.

This team lacks serious motivation which directly relates to leadership. Leadership starts in the coaches office and generates through the team. The GM is directly responsible for finding the coach that can create this atmosphere. If it hasn't happened on this team yet, it isn't going to happen.

TD and MM both need to accept their responsibility for this teams failures. Sure the score comes from the field, but even a team with a pro-bowl squad will suck balls if the no one steps up and takes charge appropriately.

I will not be sad if TD goes. Yes, he's done some good things for this team, but ultimately he's not done enough and I really doubt if his best is yet to come.

hammerbillsfan
11-04-2005, 09:17 AM
Donahoe is befuddled when he wakes up in the morning, how can he run this team?

DraftBoy
11-04-2005, 09:21 AM
Geee whoda thunk it.......idiot!

Mudflap1
11-04-2005, 09:45 AM
I'm befuddled at how Tom Donahoe has been here for 5 years, not taken this team to the playoffs, and still has a job...

29-43.....

Jon

Mitchy moo
11-04-2005, 10:22 AM
Mularkey is no different than G. Williams. Both of them have the ability to get things done when they focus on their specialty (Williams DC / Mularkey OC), but both seriously lack the ability to lead an entire team. I said it before when Williams was fired, I want a HC that has the ability to fire his team up, keep them focused on the game, and can inspire his supporting coaching staff.

This team lacks serious motivation which directly relates to leadership. Leadership starts in the coaches office and generates through the team. The GM is directly responsible for finding the coach that can create this atmosphere. If it hasn't happened on this team yet, it isn't going to happen.

TD and MM both need to accept their responsibility for this teams failures. Sure the score comes from the field, but even a team with a pro-bowl squad will suck balls if the no one steps up and takes charge appropriately.

I will not be sad if TD goes. Yes, he's done some good things for this team, but ultimately he's not done enough and I really doubt if his best is yet to come.

your absolutely right, it's called fear factor. They know they have 2 people to answer too, themselves and the coach. We have talent, just a complete lack of discipline.

lordofgun
11-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Donahoe said he fully supported Mularkey's decision to start Holcomb and sit jittery first-year quarterback J.P. Losman after the Bills stumbled out of the blocks and were 1-3.
"I'll never fault the head coach for doing what he feels gives the team the best chance to win. That's his job," Donahoe said.

He suspects that Losman, a 2004 first-round draft pick, will get another opportunity to start before the year is finished, but Donahoe emphasized that as long as the Bills are in playoff contention, Losman's development won't be a higher priority than winning games. He noted that Losman's throwing accuracy has seemed much better in practice over the past month.
"If Mike decides 'I'm going to put J.P. back in,' I wouldn't interpret that as we're giving up on the season," Donahoe said. "I'd interpret it as Mike feeling that maybe J.P. has had a chance to settle down and to watch, and now he gives us the best chance to win. I don't think Mike is ever going to say, 'Let's throw the towel in on the season' until mathematically we don't have a chance. As long as you have a chance, that's what you have to build on."
The New York Giants, 5-4 at the time, inserted rookie Eli Manning with seven games to play last season and took their lumps, but now they're benefiting with a 5-2 record and Manning's 13 touchdowns. Isn't that a model to follow? "It may have been the model for the Giants, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's the right model for the Bills," Donahoe said. "Coach (Tom) Coughlin may have felt his team wasn't good enough to get into the playoffs. I think our circumstances are a little bit different right now."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There. I feel a little better.

gr8slayer
11-04-2005, 10:36 AM
Im befuddled by TD's lack of GM leadership.

DynaPaul
11-04-2005, 03:39 PM
The players probably don't believe in the gameplan and coaching adjustments then give up in the 4th quarter when they know the right call isn't going to make something happen.

Turf
11-04-2005, 06:30 PM
Donahoe's head looks like an acorn.

The Outsider
11-04-2005, 10:04 PM
Two seasons ago, after his team lost five games by a total of just 21 points, Buffalo Bills general manager Tom Donahoe questioned players' mental toughness and fired his head coach.
After watching his team lose the lead or squander a comeback in the fourth quarter of four games so far this season, Donahoe doesn't think talent or coaching is to blame. In fact, he likes everything about his team, 3-5 at the NFL season's midway point, except its inability to finish games on a strong note. more (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051104/SPORTS03/511040418/1021)

The Outsider is befuddled himself by this jackass's latest excuse to save his sorry career as an NFL GM. The outsider wonders why Donahoe thinks a team lacking talent in key areas should be better than 3-5? When you call 3 yard curls on 4 and 7 plays you get what you pay for homeboy!

Hey Tom, maybe you need to enroll yourself in the outsider's NFL management 101 class: The game of football is won in the trenches homeboy! Bums like Fat Bennie and Mike Gandy aren't the answer. Stop settling for sloppy seconds and buy some dam tires with some tread on them! While your at it find a fat slob that can clog not only the buffet line, but the running lanes on the Dline as well fool!

TacklingDummy
11-04-2005, 10:25 PM
"I'll never fault the head coach for doing what he feels gives the team the best chance to win. That's his job," Donahoe said.

Wasn't one of the rumor's on why he left/fired? from Pittsburgh was because he and Cowher didn't get along?

Mr. Cynical
11-05-2005, 01:27 AM
More of Donahoe's rationalizations for his complete failure to revitalize this team.

Yep.

DynaPaul
11-05-2005, 07:57 AM

Come on, are you saying that cheeseburgers aren't enough?

ParanoidAndroid
11-06-2005, 07:33 AM
It's obvious to me why they can't finish games.

Let me ask you this:

How many games have been lost the past few years, including last week, because of a breakdown on the O-line?

When this team can win up front, they will start winning lots of games.

Novacane
11-06-2005, 07:52 AM
Well, it's not the lack of talent or poor coaching. Both TD and MM agree on that.

Must be the fans fault