PDA

View Full Version : Do we WANT to make the playoffs?

OpIv37
11-04-2005, 08:36 PM
It's impossible for me to WANT the Bills to lose, but think about this: This team has MAJOR problems in O-line, D-line and coaching (possibly in QB as well if JP doesn't pan out- JPD, notice I said IF). If the Bills make the playoffs, only the D line will be addressed, and we'll start next year in a huge hole as well. And if we make the playoffs, TD doesn't get fired.

I just don't think this team has the talent to be a perennial contender as it is now- if we make the playoffs, it will be a fluke and we'll have to look forward to three years of mediocrity afterwards- one year of realization that we're not good enough and two years to fix it.

footballhottie
11-04-2005, 08:46 PM
no of course not...it would kill me to see my team go to the playoffs...i would rather cut off my own arm.

Turf
11-04-2005, 08:47 PM
If we made the playoffs we couldn't argue how bad our line play and coaching is so the arguement is moot.

casdhf
11-04-2005, 08:50 PM
duh

If we make the playoffs, it'll be because someone stepped up. It won't be by default.

OpIv37
11-04-2005, 09:09 PM
If we made the playoffs we couldn't argue how bad our line play and coaching is so the arguement is moot.

I don't buy this logic because we almost made it last year and look where the team is now.....

DynaPaul
11-05-2005, 07:51 AM
If we make the playoffs then Donahoe will keep his job, look like a "master poker player" once again, and then will waste our first round draft pick on the "best available player" which will be in a position we don't need like a punter or runningback or something.

I'm hoping to get the best of both, playoffs and a regime change. It's an impossible dream though.

Typ0
11-05-2005, 09:16 AM
we are 3 -5 through the weak part of a tough schedule. I think all this talk about playoffs is hillarious and totally unrealistic. We just aren't going to make the playoffs this season. Going 5 -3 for the rest of the season would be a miracle and that would put us at 8 - 8. That doesn't mean the team should give up either...it just means that from an outsiders perspective it's very easy to see this team isn't going to make it.

X-Era
11-05-2005, 09:37 AM
It's impossible for me to WANT the Bills to lose, but think about this: This team has MAJOR problems in O-line, D-line and coaching (possibly in QB as well if JP doesn't pan out- JPD, notice I said IF). If the Bills make the playoffs, only the D line will be addressed, and we'll start next year in a huge hole as well. And if we make the playoffs, TD doesn't get fired.

I just don't think this team has the talent to be a perennial contender as it is now- if we make the playoffs, it will be a fluke and we'll have to look forward to three years of mediocrity afterwards- one year of realization that we're not good enough and two years to fix it.
Its the easiest concept for me. Our braintrust should have the ability to accurately assess our chances of making the playoffs. They should come to the conclusion that our chances are slim. Then, all the following decisions become easy. If you think JP is your future, get going on it. Again, if we start JP and lose a bunch of games, we end up with a higher draft pick as well. Hurry up and lose? NO. But the braintrust should be better evaluators of what our chances are.

Its a case where being stubborn and continuing to start the guy who give you the best chance to win now, hurts your chances to win next year. And if its all over except for the final solo from the obese female, why the hell not?

Unfortunately, we will get more and more angry until it is unbelievably painfully obvious that we aint going to the playoffs before the Bills will get going on building their future team. My prediction, probably about 3 games before the end of the season, JP comes back in. Its too bad too. That means we end up at probably 6 and 10 or 5 and 11 instead of 3 and 13 or 4 and 12.

The difference between 4 and 12 and 6 and 10 as far as draft position was:

2004- 4 and 12 was the 2nd and 3rd pick, 6 and 10 was the 8 through 12 picks
2003- 4 and 12 was the 3 pick, 6 and 10 was the 7 pick
2002- 4 and 12 would have been 5, 6 and 10 was 8- 11

If ya aint going to the playoffs why win 2 more games, its no fun anyways when ya got no shot, might as well get something good out of your losses.

Typ0
11-05-2005, 09:45 AM
it always amazes me when an outsider is spouting off "we're out of it, throw the season for a draft pick". It's pretty clear to me those people are clueless when it comes to team skills. It's really simple...you just don't want your organization to have that attitude. While we might be able to look at things as fans or the media and say we're out of it...there just is no way inside the organization they are looking at it that way. We'll be out of it when we're out of it.

To put it differently, each of the players on average this season is probably around 1/10th of their professional careers. That is a very high percentage and they are going to fight with every breath they have because as long as they are not eliminated there is still opportunity.

RedEyE
11-05-2005, 10:29 AM
Regardless, the Bills could lose the rest of their games and Donahoe will still be here next year. I don't see the axe coming down on him until we see the results from next season. He was just given an extension.

Unfortunately.

doomsdayvirus
11-05-2005, 10:50 AM
what's the rationale behind "making the playoffs" when you have no legitimate chance of winning the superbowl?

actually, scratch that, the nfc sucks so winning the superbowl would be easier than getting there.

but look at the afc right now, even if the bills made the playoffs can they really compete with indy, denver, pittsburgh, and san diego? how about cincinnati, kc, or new england? if we have a lucky week, MAYBE we can beat one of those teams.

i love the bills, and i want nothing more than to see them win it all. but at this point, i have to be realistic. we may have to take 1 step back, before taking 2 steps forward.

BAM
11-05-2005, 10:53 AM
Hell yes we want to make the playoffs! Not even a question in my mind. Ya'llercrazy.

Michael82
11-05-2005, 10:54 AM
Regardless, the Bills could lose the rest of their games and Donahoe will still be here next year. I don't see the axe coming down on him until we see the results from next season. He was just given an extension.

Unfortunately.
That's the key. Because of the extension, Donahoe is here for at least 1 more year, no matter what happens.

Michael82
11-05-2005, 10:56 AM
Hell yes we want to make the playoffs! Not even a question in my mind. Ya'llercrazy.
Agreed. Plus if we make the playoffs...:lmao: , then we will host a playoff game, because the only way this team is making the playoffs is by winning the division. that would be ****ing awesome! Home playoff game at Ralph Wilson Stadium in the beginning of January? YEAH BABY!

:roflmao:

Now back to reality. We aren't making the playoffs, but if we did, I would celebrate like crazy. :D

BAM
11-05-2005, 10:59 AM
Yah I'm usually optimistic, but I don't think we're going to make the playoffs this year either. If we had beaten NE, I would've had a much better outlook, but we just can't pull off road games this year.

OpIv37
11-05-2005, 11:00 AM

so, you'd rather get our asses kicked in the first round of the playoffs, still have Mularkey, still have TD, still not see the O-line and D-line addressed, still have terrible playcalling on both sides of the ball, still not know if Losman's our guy or not....

sounds like a great plan to me!

BAM
11-05-2005, 11:13 AM
Absolutely it does. You make no sense to me though. If we somehow would end up making the playoffs, you'd think that meant something had changed. Our current play def will not get us there.

OpIv37
11-05-2005, 11:26 AM
Absolutely it does. You make no sense to me though. If we somehow would end up making the playoffs, you'd think that meant something had changed. Our current play def will not get us there.

yeah but that's not what happened last year. Nate knocks that ball down against Jax, and we're in the playoffs despite playing ****ty ball for the first 1/3 of the season. 2005 starts and we find ourselves 3-5 and losing to the Saints and Raiders.

The same thing will happen this year. This team is mediocre- we may have the talent to sneak in the playoffs now that our division is so weak but we won't go anywhere. If we make the playoffs, TD will stupidly think we're on the right track, very little will change in the off-season, and a year from now we'll be 3-5 again (if we're lucky).

BAM
11-05-2005, 11:47 AM
I dunno man, I'd be extremely happy just to get there. I understand that it is most likely not going to happen, but there is still a chance. I see where you're coming from but I dunno how anyone could want to not make it there. Playoffs are a whole different ballgame.

footballhottie
11-05-2005, 11:50 AM
so its for sure that if we dont make the playoffs we lose MM and TD???

Meathead
11-05-2005, 11:53 AM
Do we WANT to make the playoffs?
is a bean green?

Meathead
11-05-2005, 11:54 AM
no of course not...it would kill me to see my team go to the playoffs...i would rather cut off my own arm.
:rofl:

Michael82
11-05-2005, 12:12 PM
exactly! Even if we don't go to the playoffs, I still don't see either guy getting fired. Ralph is too cheap to do that. He'd have to eat a lot of money.

The_Philster
11-05-2005, 12:54 PM
no...but if we do make the playoffs, there's no way they leave

OpIv37
11-05-2005, 01:03 PM
no...but if we do make the playoffs, there's no way they leave

my point exactly- if we make the playoffs now, we won't go anywhere and we'll be stuck with TD's mediocrity for at least 2 years.

I hate losing but it may have reached the point where the rest of this season needs to be sacrificed to save the next 3 or 4.

jomat61
11-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Phil,
Is ur "jill of the week" kneeling on some exotic shore with the ocean waves crashing in, or on the shore of lake erie with the shore ice crashing in?....can't really tell from the pic

OpIv37
11-05-2005, 10:30 PM
Phil,
Is ur "jill of the week" kneeling on some exotic shore with the ocean waves crashing in, or on the shore of lake erie with the shore ice crashing in?....can't really tell from the pic

probably the former- if it was lake erie her nipples would be so cold that they'd pop right through that swimsuit.

The_Philster
11-05-2005, 11:40 PM
Phil,
The photo was taken in the South Beach area of Miami so I'd say it was the former

justasportsfan
11-06-2005, 09:17 AM
Hell yes we want to make the playoffs! Not even a question in my mind. Ya'llercrazy. I know who I wouldn't want on my team. People that throw in the towel when the odds are against us. this thread is :crazy:

Meathead
11-06-2005, 09:23 AM
for real

all you people that dont want to make the playoffs please line up so i can smack you upside your head