PDA

View Full Version : In retrospect

The_Philster
11-06-2005, 06:16 PM
No one can deny the defense has fallen on hard times and I really don't think it can all be attributed to the loss of Pat Williams...and we weren't exactly world beaters with Spikes in there either, IMO. Should we have made a stronger effort to keep LeBeau here and let go of Gray? I know some didn't feel LeBeau was that much of a factor but Gray has gone blitz-happy and doesn't seem to know how best to use it. LeBeau is the master of the Zone blitz and hasn't missed a beat going back to Pittsburgh.

Drive 4 Five
11-06-2005, 06:26 PM
No one can deny the defense has fallen on hard times and I really don't think it can all be attributed to the loss of Pat Williams...and we weren't exactly world beaters with Spikes in there either, IMO. Should we have made a stronger effort to keep LeBeau here and let go of Gray? I know some didn't feel LeBeau was that much of a factor but Gray has gone blitz-happy and doesn't seem to know how best to use it. LeBeau is the master of the Zone blitz and hasn't missed a beat going back to Pittsburgh.

Absolutely. In fact, I was contemplating this very same thought this morning while I was lying in bed trying to wake up. Sad huh? Sad but true. How the **** did this happen anyway?

The_Philster
11-06-2005, 06:33 PM
Absolutely. In fact, I was contemplating this very same thought this morning while I was lying in bed trying to wake up. Sad huh? Sad but true. How the **** did this happen anyway?
I think the answer is 3-fold

LeBeau was more comfortable in Pittsburgh where he enjoyed his greatest successes
Gray was probably cheaper
The Bills' brain trust felt that Gray learned enough from LeBeau that he could handle running the Zone blitz schemes that LeBeau brought to Buffalo

TacklingDummy
11-06-2005, 06:45 PM
Coaches don't play, players play.

With that being said, losing Pat Williams and Spikes hurt more then losing LeBeau or having Gray as DC.

Plus the lack of a consistent pass rush is hurting the defense overall.

No pass rush+can't stop the run= Horrible Defense.