PDA

View Full Version : If I were a quality assistant coach, I wouldn't come to Buffalo...

lordofgun
01-15-2003, 11:43 AM
GW's contract is up after this year. Why would an experienced coach come to Buffalo when they're only guaranteed their job for the next year? I don't blame people for picking Dallas/Parcells over Buffalo/GW for that very reason.

That's why we need to extend GW's contract. If GW's gonna coach and hope to attract some good assistants, he can't be viewed as a lame duck.

justasportsfan
01-15-2003, 11:55 AM
In Lebeau's case, if GW doesn't keep his job, chances are he will be the bills' next HC.

Earthquake Enyart
01-15-2003, 11:58 AM
No. GW must go.

Mr. Miyagi
01-15-2003, 12:18 PM
I think GW is doing fine. I'll hold out my verdict until after next season. Turning around from a completely stripped and rebuilt 3-13 team to 8-8 aint bad. But his goal for next season should be the playoffs. If we don't make it, bye bye Greggo.

HenryRules
01-15-2003, 01:54 PM
You'd have to give GW at least a 2 year extension though ... teams have no problems getting rid of coaches with one year left on their contract (see Mariucci and many before him) so a one year extension isn't going to change the situation. We'd in effect have to say that we'd be willing to pay GW to coach for the next 3 years (not necessarily actually coach, just pay him for that time) and I think that's a too big of a commitment for the past 2 years work.

Dozerdog
01-15-2003, 02:05 PM
I'd say yes if this was the Bungles-

But of all the NFL teams - which ones have the best upside?

KC- Buffalo- Atlanta- and two of those 3 clubs are set with coaches.

Assistants would want to get in on the ground floor of a playoff caliber team- a deep run into the playoffs helps their resume's-