PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone see Sportscenter this morning?

BillsPride12
11-07-2005, 12:01 PM
Did anyone catch that segment on Vinnie Papeli(sp?), I had never heard about that story before. I thought it was pretty cool and although I hate the Eagles it was cool that a die-hard season ticket holder, got a chance to play for his favorite team. And you could tell he was very appreciative of the oppurtunity he got. Stuff like this is what makes sports great to me, it was very refreshing to hear a story like that at a time when the whole TO thing is generating the most buzz throughout the league. Any thoughts?

Mr. Miyagi
11-07-2005, 12:03 PM
What?

BillsPride12
11-07-2005, 12:10 PM
They ran a story about this guy who had only played 1 year of high school football(But I guess he was the king of the playgrounds when it came to pickup ball games) and the Eagles had open tryouts one year and this guy who was a season ticket holder, big-time Eagles fan tried out and ended making the team and was a pretty big special teams contributer for his couple seasons with the Eagles. Some of the clips they showed of him reminded me of Steve Tasker. This guy was like a real life version of Rocky Balboa, another thing that I thought was cool was when they showed the clips of his Season ticket buddies going crazy when he came out for his first game. It's the little things in NFL history like this that makes me love this game

Mr. Miyagi
11-07-2005, 12:15 PM
Other than special teams, what else did he play? He's a safety?

BillsPride12
11-07-2005, 12:20 PM
I think WR, he was a little guy in the Tasker mold. Although I'm pretty sure he probably didn't play any NFL downs as a WR, he was basically just a blue collar former Bartender who had alot of enthusiasm for the game and he got lucky by landing a roster spot with his favorite team for a couple seasons. I'm not saying he went on to be a Pro Bowler or anything, lol they said he was a 30 year old rookie.

BillsPride12
11-07-2005, 12:21 PM
P.S. supposedly there is gonna be a movie next year based on his story

Mr. Miyagi
11-07-2005, 12:21 PM
RUDY! RUDY! RUDY!

Drive 4 Five
11-07-2005, 12:45 PM
Neat. Thanks for sharing. Now only if that ass wipe Owens could demonstrate even a tiny shred of this kind of appreciation for the sport...?

frank74
11-07-2005, 01:54 PM
that was a great story, and supposedly mark wahlberg is playing papale in the movie.

Mitchy moo
11-07-2005, 01:56 PM
He got Dick vermeil his first win and, you know what dick gave him 3 years later? A pink slip. I saw it and it was awesome.