X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Should we bring Bettis to backup Henry?

Steelers | Bettis And Stewart Done? - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
    7:48 PT: The Post Gazette reports Pittsburgh Steelers Coach Bill Cowher mentioned the names of RB Jerome Bettis and QB Kordell Stewart as two veterans who might not be with the Steelers in 2003. "I think as an organization, what we need to do is look at the roster, look at our cap, and we are going to have to talk about the direction and the options that we have in regards to these players," Cowher said. "I think it would really be unfair at this point for me to discuss any of those decisions." The possibility Bettis might not return does come as a surprise, and Cowher did not mention it when he met Monday with his running back, according to Bettis. Cowher would not speculate on whether Bettis would be back in 2003.

If Pittsburgh lets Bettis go...do you think Tom Donahoe will take a look at him? He was the one who traded for Bettis in 1996. Henry could use a backup and 3rd down back. Bettis is a good player as long as he stays healthy. As a backup, he wouldn't get injured much and could help Henry rest when he needs to. What do you think?

• LtBillsFan66
    • Jul 2002

We need a d line first.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
      Legendary Zoner
      • Jul 2002

Can Bettis play OLB?

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

I'm just saying this because of the Pittsburgh connection and we will have a lot of money to spend. Hopefully we can get Spikes and a couple others. I wouldn't mind Bettis for a cheap price.

Comment

• Wys Guy
          Drew and Sam stole all my hair
          • Jul 2002

NO!

Why is it that many fans always tend towards has-been washed up players w/ a decent history but little upside for the future?

NO! He's done, washed up! Let's get some youth, strenght, and speed that will be useful for 3-4 years minimum.
          Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Bulldog
            Top Dog
            • Jan 2003

I wish people would stop talking about Spikes. With the hiring of Marvin Lewis, Spikes will definately be back with the Bungles!!!

I say the Bills go after Mike Peterson of the Colts. Probably not as expensive as Spikes and we could use the money to shore up our defensive line.
            I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
              • Jul 2002

I agree with WYS. He is washed up and injury prone and I bet he will want more than he is worth!!! After having to go to college near the burgh for 4 years I am sick of hearing about DA BUS!!!!

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                • Jul 2002

I also don't think we will get spikes. I say Colvin from the Bears.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Jul 2002

I think Joe Burns is fine. They just need to give him a chance.

Comment

• BledsoeTOreedfor6
                    • Jul 2002

I don't think the idea is crazy Mike. He would be an ok back up RB at league min..............no more! He is not a 3rd down back though. Never has been and we don't need one anyway. We already have the best pass catching RB of all time

Comment

• Dozerdog
                      In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                      • Jul 2002

Is that the only criteriawe have now for signing players? That they come from Ten/Pitt?

Why waste cap space on other guy's garbage? If he comes in at vet min, sure- but you're dreaming if you think that.

Comment

• lordofgun
                        in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                        • Jul 2002

Bettis won't want to be a backup anyway. He'll want a final starting shot.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• BledsoeTOreedfor6
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by lordofgun
                          Bettis won't want to be a backup anyway. He'll want a final starting shot.

I pity the team that is dumb enough to give him one

Comment

• Dozerdog
                            In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                            • Jul 2002

I can see the Texans, or even Parcells in Dallas giving him a shot

Comment

• HenryRules
                              • Jul 2002

I don't think he'll find a starting job ... there's not too many teams that are desperate enough to give a washed up guy the starting job ... i think Bettis would like to find a spot where he can get about 100 carries in a season and hit the market next year showing that he's still got something left in him.

If the price is right ... and that means vet min or slightly more, he'd be a great acquisition. Gilbride obviously has faith in Bettis (the Bus had one of his busiest/best seasons under Gilbride - his ypc were low but that's because teams knew the Bus was getting the ball every down) and Gilbride doesn't seem to have much faith in Henry on short yardage situations. Give the Bus those 2 or 3 carries per game plus a couple more that come from extending our drives (by getting a few more third and 2 conversions) and to give Henry a rest and everyone should be happy.

Comment

Working...
                              X