PDA

View Full Version : Should we bring Bettis to backup Henry?

Michael82
01-15-2003, 12:45 PM
Steelers | Bettis And Stewart Done? - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
7:48 PT: The Post Gazette reports Pittsburgh Steelers Coach Bill Cowher mentioned the names of RB Jerome Bettis and QB Kordell Stewart as two veterans who might not be with the Steelers in 2003. "I think as an organization, what we need to do is look at the roster, look at our cap, and we are going to have to talk about the direction and the options that we have in regards to these players," Cowher said. "I think it would really be unfair at this point for me to discuss any of those decisions." The possibility Bettis might not return does come as a surprise, and Cowher did not mention it when he met Monday with his running back, according to Bettis. Cowher would not speculate on whether Bettis would be back in 2003.

If Pittsburgh lets Bettis go...do you think Tom Donahoe will take a look at him? He was the one who traded for Bettis in 1996. Henry could use a backup and 3rd down back. Bettis is a good player as long as he stays healthy. As a backup, he wouldn't get injured much and could help Henry rest when he needs to. What do you think?

:feedback:

LtBillsFan66
01-15-2003, 12:47 PM
We need a d line first.

Earthquake Enyart
01-15-2003, 12:49 PM
Can Bettis play OLB?

Michael82
01-15-2003, 01:03 PM
I'm just saying this because of the Pittsburgh connection and we will have a lot of money to spend. Hopefully we can get Spikes and a couple others. I wouldn't mind Bettis for a cheap price. :D

WG
01-15-2003, 01:12 PM
NO!

Why is it that many fans always tend towards has-been washed up players w/ a decent history but little upside for the future?

NO! He's done, washed up! Let's get some youth, strenght, and speed that will be useful for 3-4 years minimum.

Bulldog
01-15-2003, 01:21 PM
I wish people would stop talking about Spikes. With the hiring of Marvin Lewis, Spikes will definately be back with the Bungles!!!

I say the Bills go after Mike Peterson of the Colts. Probably not as expensive as Spikes and we could use the money to shore up our defensive line.

THATHURMANATOR
01-15-2003, 01:27 PM
I agree with WYS. He is washed up and injury prone and I bet he will want more than he is worth!!! After having to go to college near the burgh for 4 years I am sick of hearing about DA BUS!!!!

THATHURMANATOR
01-15-2003, 01:28 PM
I also don't think we will get spikes. I say Colvin from the Bears.

Earthquake Enyart
01-15-2003, 01:29 PM
I think Joe Burns is fine. They just need to give him a chance.

Novacane
01-15-2003, 01:30 PM
I don't think the idea is crazy Mike. He would be an ok back up RB at league min..............no more! He is not a 3rd down back though. Never has been and we don't need one anyway. We already have the best pass catching RB of all time

Dozerdog
01-15-2003, 01:32 PM
Is that the only criteriawe have now for signing players? That they come from Ten/Pitt?

Why waste cap space on other guy's garbage? If he comes in at vet min, sure- but you're dreaming if you think that.

lordofgun
01-15-2003, 01:34 PM
Bettis won't want to be a backup anyway. He'll want a final starting shot.

Novacane
01-15-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
Bettis won't want to be a backup anyway. He'll want a final starting shot.

I pity the team that is dumb enough to give him one

Dozerdog
01-15-2003, 01:38 PM
I can see the Texans, or even Parcells in Dallas giving him a shot

HenryRules
01-15-2003, 01:39 PM
I don't think he'll find a starting job ... there's not too many teams that are desperate enough to give a washed up guy the starting job ... i think Bettis would like to find a spot where he can get about 100 carries in a season and hit the market next year showing that he's still got something left in him.

<i>If</i> the price is right ... and that means vet min or slightly more, he'd be a great acquisition. Gilbride obviously has faith in Bettis (the Bus had one of his busiest/best seasons under Gilbride - his ypc were low but that's because teams knew the Bus was getting the ball every down) and Gilbride doesn't seem to have much faith in Henry on short yardage situations. Give the Bus those 2 or 3 carries per game plus a couple more that come from extending our drives (by getting a few more third and 2 conversions) and to give Henry a rest and everyone should be happy.

Michael82
01-15-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Is that the only criteriawe have now for signing players? That they come from Ten/Pitt?

Why waste cap space on other guy's garbage? If he comes in at vet min, sure- but you're dreaming if you think that.

No, thats not the only criteria. But I still say that we should have gone after former Titans rejects...Blaine Bishop and Josh Evans. Evans has had a pretty good season with the Jets and would have been a force in the middle with Big Pat. :D

Patrick76777
01-15-2003, 01:40 PM
I’d like another backup in here but Bettis would want too much $$$, he wouldn’t be happy as backup and he’s fat.

Patrick76777
01-15-2003, 01:41 PM
That being said, he’ll prolly rush for 1600 yards for next years superbowl winner……

THATHURMANATOR
01-15-2003, 01:42 PM
Yeah he is a fat pansy!!!!!!!

Dozerdog
01-15-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282

No, thats not the only criteria. But I still say that we should have gone after former Titans rejects...Blaine Bishop and Josh Evans. Evans has had a pretty good season with the Jets and would have been a force in the middle with Big Pat. :D

He also was a substance abuser- The Jets took a huge gamble on players this year- Cowart for example. And they were extreamly fortunate to have it pay off. But they were in a position to gamble- a squad that was having sal cap problems.

And it almost blew up in their faces with that 1-5 start.

The Bills are rebuilding and taking shortcuts with risky guys like Cowart (injury) and Evans (suspensions) weren't necissary.

Bulldog
01-15-2003, 02:38 PM
I too would love to get Colvin, Thurmanator, but I think his price will soar with several teams inetrested in his services. While he is a quality player, IMO some team will overpay for him.

With the addition of Mike Peterson and a couple stud defensive lineman, the D will improve by leaps and bounds.

BillsNYC
01-15-2003, 03:16 PM
NO!

for once i agree with wys! we don't need him...hed be a waste of money...t henry gained 1400 yards last year...and the guy is only what..25? he can only get better, especially after he learns to hold onto the football! spend the money on defense!

THATHURMANATOR
01-15-2003, 04:27 PM
Bulldog I though that peterson was an inside linebacker?? Maybe I am wrong there.

RedEyE
01-15-2003, 05:46 PM
The bus is broken. It's time to send him to the junkyard.

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-15-2003, 11:09 PM
The bus needs to be sold for parts. It's finished.

Š
01-16-2003, 06:37 AM
He'll sign with Tampa. It's close to Del Boca Vista.

Besides, the Bucs Bus has a nice ring to it.

SABURZFAN
01-16-2003, 07:29 AM
we don't need him.

Bulldog
01-16-2003, 12:17 PM
Thurmanator, Peterson is an outside linebacker. IMO he would fit Buffalo's defense perfectly. Besides, if you spend less on signing him than you would a Spikes, this leaves more room under the cap to sign some defensive line help which in turn would allow London Fletcher to make more plays.

THATHURMANATOR
01-16-2003, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the info Bull. That might be a good idea then. Does he rush the passer? IMO thats what we need out of the linebacker we get.

Bulldog
01-16-2003, 03:19 PM
To answer your question Thurm, he is not a great pass rusher. His highest total for sacks in a season is 3.0, and that was his rookie season in 1999. He is a solid run stopper who would be an improvement over what the Bills currently have.

With the addition of some defensive line help, I would hope that Buffalo can generate some pressure with their four down lineman. While the free agent market does not appear to be loaded with quality defensive linemen, IMO several will be available once the salary cap cuts are done.

Bert102176
01-17-2003, 06:54 PM
forget Bettis get Dayne to back him up and be like Thomas and Davis era

mush69
01-19-2003, 07:24 AM
The wheels on the bus gone flat to the ground, flat to the ground
:guitar::guitar:
The Belly on the bus goes flat to the ground, flat to the ground