PDA

View Full Version : 49ers release Mariucci from final year of contract

Dozerdog
01-15-2003, 01:07 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0115/1493146.html
Wednesday, January 15

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com

Steve Mariucci is out as head coach of the San Francisco 49ers.

49ers general manager Terry Donahue told ESPN.com's John Clayton today that Mariucci has been released from the final year of his contract and no longer is the team's head coach.

Sources told Clayton that there were philosophical differences between Mariucci and John York, the owner's representative, about Mariucci's role within the organization. Sources said that Mariucci had been asking for the title of vice president of football operations.

Former Vikings coach Dennis Green and 49ers defensive coordinator Jim Mora Jr. might be candidates to replace Mariucci.

lordofgun
01-15-2003, 01:08 PM
That was ******ed. They could have got some compensation for him.

I'd love to have him coach the Bills.

Dozerdog
01-15-2003, 01:09 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Wed, Jan. 15, 2003

By Dennis Georgatos

In a shocking move, the 49ers today fired Steve Mariucci as their coach. Team spokesman Kirk Reynolds said Mariucci was informed of his dismissal this morning by team director John York.

There was no immediate word regarding a replacement for Mariucci.

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/bayarea/sports/4953656.htm

http://www.bayarea.com/images/bayarea/mercurynews/4932/24326373860.jpg

Ebenezer
01-15-2003, 01:09 PM
I'll take him right now, without an interview, over GW...

justasportsfan
01-15-2003, 01:15 PM
The bungles are probably kicking themselves in the NUTS

Bulldog
01-15-2003, 01:15 PM
Good luck finding someone to replace him. I think Mariucci is one of the better coaches in the NFL. The 49ers loss will be somebody elses gain.

Novacane
01-15-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
The bungles are probably kicking themselves in the NUTS
I doubt he would have gone to that loser organization anyway. He is going to be able to pick where he wants to go!

Bulldog
01-15-2003, 01:25 PM
When aren't the Bungles kicking themselves in the NUTS? Maybe the yshould change their name to the Nutkickers!!!

Dozerdog
01-15-2003, 01:28 PM
My bet is he's renting a condo in Jacksonville next weekend.

Rumor has it the leading candidates for the SF job are Dennis Green (bad move by th e49ers) or Mora, the SF 49er's Defensive coordinator and son of ex Colt/Saint HC Jim Mora.

Michael82
01-15-2003, 01:33 PM
Alright this is our chance!!! FIRE Gregg Williams NOW!!!

Bring Mariucci in here pronto! :D

HenryRules
01-15-2003, 01:48 PM
I don't think I'd want to work for the 49ers in any capacity ... the standards are set so high its impossible to please anyone there ... Young was hated there until he won a Super Bowl ... Mooch was hated even though he turned that franchise around under difficult cap circumstances ... every 49ers fan is like wys.

Dozerdog
01-15-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282
Alright this is our chance!!! FIRE Gregg Williams NOW!!!

Bring Mariucci in here pronto! :D

OKEE Dokey- George Steinbrenner Junior!

Ebenezer
01-15-2003, 02:10 PM
:rofl: he'll end up in Jacksoville...but I would still take him over GW.

SoCalBillsFan
01-15-2003, 02:20 PM
PLEASE get him in here now! This is the chance. Who's gonna be available next year?

Michael82
01-15-2003, 02:21 PM
EXACTLY, SoCal!

If TD does not want to give Gregg an extension...he should fire him and sign Mooch now. :D

HenryRules
01-15-2003, 02:26 PM
If Mooch wanted to be VP in San Fran, I don't think he and TD would function together very well for a long period of time ... this front office seems to have a very good harmony (Modrak and TD sharing certain aspects of the GM job and getting along fine, possibly LeBeau coming in and helping Gray do his job). Bringing in the Mooch, while perhaps beneficial for a year or two, would lead to big problems down the road.

Dozerdog
01-15-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by SoCalBillsFan
PLEASE get him in here now! This is the chance. Who's gonna be available next year?

Tom Coughlin is available now.

Mariucci is going to want to bring in all his own coaches, and we will be moving back to a WCO- I guess AVP would love that.

Dozerdog
01-15-2003, 02:33 PM
But get Bruce DeHaven back while we still can!

SoCalBillsFan
01-15-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

Tom Coughlin is available now.

Good point. Someone remind me why we still have GW as head coach?!?

Answer me this: If GW were fired today, would fans from other teams be begging for him to come coach them? Of course not! Why can't we go get a coughlin or a mooch? Or someone competant at least!

Michael82
01-15-2003, 02:51 PM
Actually, this may be a blessing in disguise. Now that the Mooch is available...he'll probably go to Jacksonville. Dennis Green or Jim Mora Jr. will coach SF and there is a small chance that Tom Coughlin will not get a HC job because of Cincy's hiring of Marvin Lewis. Hmmm....Next year, if Gregg doesn't get us to the playoffs or farther...he will be gone and Coughlin or someone else will takeover. That's why he doesnt have an extension. :D

BillsNYC
01-15-2003, 03:01 PM
anybody else think he was fired because of t. owens?

RedEyE
01-15-2003, 05:52 PM
I know that Detroit stated they were not changing their coaching staff, but I think that may change now. Mariucci could bring the West Coast Offense to Detroit. Harrington and Stewart would be a perfect fit for that offensive style of play.

Novacane
01-15-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by BillsNYC
anybody else think he was fired because of t. owens?

Peter King was saying on WGR55 today that he was let go because he wanted to be paid in the top 10 coach's in the league(around 3 mill per) and he wanted to have final call on draft day.

King said the 49ers are trying to cut costs and will probably hire Mora Jr so they can get away with paying him only around 750K per year. Apparently the niners owners are in some kind of finacial bind. He did not elaborate on that.

LABillsFan
01-15-2003, 09:53 PM
Mooch said he wasn't planning on interviewing for the Jags job and that he wanted to take some time off and get into broadcasting. He have his choice of the litter when he comes back though. Next year is a long time from now. If Wadnstadt flops AGAIN Miami may get into the bidding war along with other teams that can't get over the hump.

Dozerdog
01-15-2003, 09:58 PM
:rofl: @ your dog- you should make it your avatar

LABillsFan
01-15-2003, 10:29 PM
Thanks Dozer I think I will. Stay tuned for the complete Kicking team.

MissBuffalo
01-16-2003, 12:13 PM
The real crappy thing is that he found out on TV and not from York himself. Also, Mariucci said that he bareley even mentioned VP duties and that it really didn't matter to him if he got them or not. DeBartolo (York's brother-in-law and former owner) says that they should try and get Oklahoma coach Bobby Stoops. There's also rumors they may try to get Holmgren, but it may be hard for him to get out of his contract.
Mariucci has scheduled a press conference for 10:30 West Coast time.

Earthquake Enyart
01-16-2003, 12:49 PM
I always hated Bill Walsh.

Thinks he's sooooo smart......

The_Philster
01-16-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by MissBuffalo
The real crappy thing is that he found out on TV and not from York himself. Also, Mariucci said that he bareley even mentioned VP duties and that it really didn't matter to him if he got them or not. DeBartolo (York's brother-in-law and former owner) says that they should try and get Oklahoma coach Bobby Stoops. There's also rumors they may try to get Holmgren, but it may be hard for him to get out of his contract.
Mariucci has scheduled a press conference for 10:30 West Coast time.

He found out on TV? Where'd they learn that move from? Butler and Wade? That's how Thurman found out.

MissBuffalo
01-17-2003, 06:23 PM
LOL Phil, it is too bad. They should have some b@lls and tell it to their face.