PDA

View Full Version : Steve Mariucci: Bring him in

RedEyE
11-08-2005, 07:46 AM
Honeymoon over........

Heard on ESPN radio Sunday night that Matt Millen and Marriucci are not seeing eye-to-eye and unamed source rumors have it that they may part ways at the end of this season.Especially if the season ends the way its currently headed.

If by chance, Mularkey gets the axe too, I'd love to see Mooch and his West Coast offense in Buffalo. The talent on the Bills offense fits the scheme perfectly. Losman wouldn't have to face too many adjustments as the current coaching staff is already using similar style plays while he was on the field. I think Mooch could bring his play book and step the O up ten notches. The WC offense also doesn't require a big OL, just look at Atlanta. We could make do with the scrubs we have. This is precisely why Garcia was having more success than Harrington. A pocket passer would get flattened. Willis in the back field and a healthy Kevin Everett would surely compliment the WCO as a strong power runner and a speed demon TE with good hands are certainly required.

Most importantly, Mooch would bring experience and the ability to motivate. Something that Mularkey certainly doen't have and can't do.

Mitchy moo
11-08-2005, 07:58 AM
I agree, steve has been there and done that. I am sick of these first time coaches coming in and leaving. They end up being OF coord.. or DF coord.. or OF/DF coaches after they leave here. Name one head coach that left Buffalo and is now a Head coach somewhere else right now.

That's what I thought.

Gunzlingr
11-08-2005, 08:25 AM
I could live with that.

Mr. Miyagi
11-08-2005, 08:49 AM
No way MM gets the axe. He's only had 2 seasons to show anything, and this one is with a QB change.

OpIv37
11-08-2005, 08:50 AM
I don't like the WC offense- I'd much prefer a Pittsburgh style of offense, which is what we're SUPPOSED to have now :fit:

Pride
11-08-2005, 08:55 AM
Dont you morons remember when we TRIED the west coast offense under sheppard? It takes a good 3 years for a QB to learn it! Why do you think the Lions SUCK on offense? 3 #1 WR's, a #1 QB, and a solid running back and line... and they still suck! It's the offensive system... not the players!

HHURRICANE
11-08-2005, 08:55 AM
I don't like the WC offense- I'd much prefer a Pittsburgh style of offense, which is what we're SUPPOSED to have now :fit:

You know what? I have no idea what our offense is supposed to be. The funny thing is that our offense has now stunk for almost 4 seasons with 2 different coaches. Maybe it's our talent. Either that or we really suck at getting offensive coordinators. Of course we hired MM over other canidates because he was an offensive genius. LOL.

OpIv37
11-08-2005, 09:01 AM
You know what? I have no idea what our offense is supposed to be. The funny thing is that our offense has now stunk for almost 4 seasons with 2 different coaches. Maybe it's our talent. Either that or we really suck at getting offensive coordinators. Of course we hired MM over other canidates because he was an offensive genius. LOL.

MM is clever offensively, but you hit the nail on the head- this team has not established an offensive identity. It's like a power running team that randomly goes into West Coast sets but doesn't throw slants.

Mularkey's problem is that he outcoaches himself. On 3rd and 2 he must think like "the high percentage play is a run and we're running well, so they're going to expect that- we should throw to catch them off guard!" and then Josh Reed drops the pass. I prefer the "We're better at running the ball than you are at stopping it, so we're gonna ram it down your throat on 3rd and 2. Good luck stopping us" mentality.

Mularkey also outcoaches himself with the gadget plays. Last year, with the possible exception of Pitt, he knew the right time to call them. This year, he throws them in at the worst possible time, it doesn't fool the other team, and it gives them momentum.

BFLOBILLSBURGH
11-08-2005, 09:05 AM
Mooch- has done nothing in Detroit. He has been given all the weapons to work with and that team is horrible. Its not like he has a Super Bowl title like Parcells, Gruden, Shanahan, or Holgrem.
And don't forget he did run the SF organization into the ground.
I don't think it is an experienced coach problem as much as picking the right coordinator that can be successful as a head coach in the NFL. I wouldn't be so quick to give up on Mularkey. Marvin Lewis went 8-8 last year in his second year and John Fox missed the playoffs after a run to the Super Bowl. 3 years is needed to evaluate MM to see if he is capable of being successful as an NFL head coach. Belichek was fired in Cleveland. That turned out to be a bad move.

Give MM another year.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
11-08-2005, 09:06 AM
NO!!! not the West Coast Offence we had it once here and it backfired on us with I don't want to say his name :lmao: :funny: you can not run the WC in Buffalo period

HHURRICANE
11-08-2005, 09:19 AM
Mariucci is not the answer. I agree with Opvy that MM seemed to do a better job last year. He has made some really bone headed decisions this year. Plus he pulls his bag of tricks out at the worst times. With that said he is going to get his 3 years like every coach does. He is very short sighted though. This team sucks so he should be trying everything right now so he can have a better chance to win next year. Losman needs to play. PERIOD. The OL move was way overdue. Let's hope there are other things going on. By the way if we lose to KC and he doesn't pull Holcomb I am done watching these losers this year. :teary:

RedEyE
11-08-2005, 09:31 AM
Dont you morons remember when we TRIED the west coast offense under sheppard? It takes a good 3 years for a QB to learn it! Why do you think the Lions SUCK on offense? 3 #1 WR's, a #1 QB, and a solid running back and line... and they still suck! It's the offensive system... not the players!

Oh...so I'm a "Moron" now. Nice to see this board dropping to the name calling status.....doesn't that violate TOS?

That was a different team in a different era with a QB that couldn't tie his shoes let alone read a play book.

It takes longer to learn, that's true, but with Losman being out, your looking at least 3 years before reaching any kind of success anyway. And Mooch is a better coach the Mike Mularkey is anyway.

RedEyE
11-08-2005, 09:34 AM
Mooch- has done nothing in Detroit. He has been given all the weapons to work with and that team is horrible. Its not like he has a Super Bowl title like Parcells, Gruden, Shanahan, or Holgrem.
And don't forget he did run the SF organization into the ground.
I don't think it is an experienced coach problem as much as picking the right coordinator that can be successful as a head coach in the NFL. I wouldn't be so quick to give up on Mularkey. Marvin Lewis went 8-8 last year in his second year and John Fox missed the playoffs after a run to the Super Bowl. 3 years is needed to evaluate MM to see if he is capable of being successful as an NFL head coach. Belichek was fired in Cleveland. That turned out to be a bad move.

Give MM another year.

Harrington? Are you serious? I wouldn't necessarily consider Harrington a formidable weapon.

RedEyE
11-08-2005, 09:36 AM
No way MM gets the axe. He's only had 2 seasons to show anything, and this one is with a QB change.

Possibly, but it was discussed on ESPN radio with Mort. So, I put a little faith into the rumor mill.

DynaPaul
11-08-2005, 09:37 AM
I agree, steve has been there and done that. I am sick of these first time coaches coming in and leaving. They end up being OF coord.. or DF coord.. or OF/DF coaches after they leave here. Name one head coach that left Buffalo and is now a Head coach somewhere else right now.

That's what I thought.

Yeah, it's like they use us as a training camp. "Gee, if I go there as a head coach and screw things up in Buffalo I can just write that off and go back to being a coordinator."

gr8slayer
11-08-2005, 10:19 AM
He would be great but I still wish we would have gone after Fassel last year.

BFLOBILLSBURGH
11-08-2005, 10:45 AM
Honeymoon over........

Heard on ESPN radio Sunday night that Matt Millen and Marriucci are not seeing eye-to-eye and unamed source rumors have it that they may part ways at the end of this season.Especially if the season ends the way its currently headed.

If by chance, Mularkey gets the axe too, I'd love to see Mooch and his West Coast offense in Buffalo. The talent on the Bills offense fits the scheme perfectly. Losman wouldn't have to face too many adjustments as the current coaching staff is already using similar style plays while he was on the field. I think Mooch could bring his play book and step the O up ten notches. The WC offense also doesn't require a big OL, just look at Atlanta. We could make do with the scrubs we have. This is precisely why Garcia was having more success than Harrington. A pocket passer would get flattened. Willis in the back field and a healthy Kevin Everett would surely compliment the WCO as a strong power runner and a speed demon TE with good hands are certainly required.

Most importantly, Mooch would bring experience and the ability to motivate. Something that Mularkey certainly doen't have and can't do.

Garcia is having success???? Garcia is avg is 203 yrds/game with 0 tds and 1 int that lost the game for his team in OT. That pick was Bledsoe like.
Have you checked the NFL Stats for offensive rankings. Detroit is 28th and Buffalo is 29th. Is this the 10 notches that our offense will step up. And defensively we are 13th and the Lions are 10th in the league.

How you seriously think the Bills Organization would be making any progress by firing MM and hiring Mooch is beyond me. You talk like Mooch has done something in this league.

Mariuchi record with the Lions: 2003 = 5-11
2004 = 6-10
2005 = 3-5 ?

Mularkey record with Bills: 2004 = 9-7
2005 = 3-5

If we are going to fire MM , how about we bring in a proven winner.

DraftBoy
11-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Mooch is a good coach for est team with est weapons, he is not good molding young QB's into winners. And dont say he molded Steve Young bc Joe Montana had a hell of alot more to do with that then Mooch ever did. I still want somebody like Childress or Ferentz brought in. Id prefer somebody young with some fire and passion ala John Fox, Jack Del Rio, and Marvin Lewis mold.