PDA

View Full Version : Just out of curiosity....

Devin
11-09-2005, 03:25 PM
Im not asking for opinions one way or the other about who should be starting, nor am I saying I believe one way or the other what JP should be doing.

Say we go......oh I dont know 7-9/8-8 this season with Holcomb starting the rest of the way. Or most the rest of the way anyway.

I am curious to know what people expect to happen opening day next season?

Or even moreso how you see this affecting JP in the long run?

Please refrain from arguing about who should start now, we have seen it a gazillion times. I would like to know how you see the QB situation next season.

OpIv37
11-09-2005, 03:39 PM
If that's what happens, the only logical thing to do is what we should have done this season: have a camp/preseason competition for the starting job. If JP improves enough through whatever experience he gets this year and/or offseason work, he'll win the job. Either way, we'll have the better QB on the field when the games count in September.

I don't want this team to end up like Washington or Baltimore: starting a crappy QB just cuz he was a high-round draft pick.

Devin
11-09-2005, 04:02 PM
Neither do I, but its hard if next season he isnt the starting QB (either because of lack of ability or coaching) to not blame it on him not being given a chance.

RedEyE
11-09-2005, 05:18 PM
I agree with Opiv, in addition I expect to see at least one more QB from free agency or two if Matthews decides to quit. Load up for camp competition and keep the best three.

Jan Reimers
11-09-2005, 05:26 PM
If Holcomb is the best we have, we will be a sub .500 team for the forseeable future.

After 9 years in the league, we know what Holcomb is. After 4 games, we have no idea what Losman may become. It's obvious that JP needs the playing time that every other young QB has been given to learn and develop at the position.

BSXIII
11-09-2005, 05:48 PM
If Holcomb is the best we have, we will be a sub .500 team for the forseeable future.
After 9 years in the league, we know what Holcomb is. After 4 games, we have no idea what Losman may become. It's obvious that JP needs the playing time that every other young QB has been given to learn and develop at the position.

I disagree. Holcomb has never really been given much of a chance in this league. He started out behind Payton Manning, and went 3 seasons without even throwing a pass. He then went to Cleveland where he looked a lot better than Couch, but was never given much of a shot there because Couch was the first overall draft pick, and Cleveland felt the need to "develop their future QB".

So far he has fared pretty well here, and until this o-line improves, we are a dink and dunk team, who needs to play ball control. His high completeion % works well with this offense.

kinigirly
11-09-2005, 06:23 PM
i have a feeling we will probably end up like you said 7-9 or 8-8 pretty even. and since TD and MM feel we have a pretty good shot at playoffs i feel that holcomb will stay in the whole games because they don't trust JP. so i see JP going the rest of the season with little to no play. hence, come next year i think holcomb will start again with JP picking up the 4th quarter to get his playtime experience in behind Holcomb. basically the kid is a year behind where he should be because of his broken leg last year. he got no play behind bledsoe and is making up for it

Jan Reimers
11-09-2005, 06:26 PM
If a guy's been a backup for 9 years, there's usually a pretty good reason. In Holcomb's case it is that he's slow, fumble-prone and weak-armed. He had a great chance in Cleveland and couldn't get it done.

Anyone who thinks we're going anywhere with Holcomb at QB is delusional.

TacklingDummy
11-09-2005, 06:41 PM
Holcomb will start the majority of the Bills games this year and for the next 2 years.

Some of you Bills fans are just gonna have to get use to it.

HHURRICANE
11-09-2005, 07:36 PM
If a guy's been a backup for 9 years, there's usually a pretty good reason. In Holcomb's case it is that he's slow, fumble-prone and weak-armed. He had a great chance in Cleveland and couldn't get it done.

Anyone who thinks we're going anywhere with Holcomb at QB is delusional.

I agree. Great backup and I am very glad we got him here for that. We need to know sooner than later if JP is the guy. Waiting 2 more years to figure this out will kill many more seasons to come!!

X-Era
11-09-2005, 07:59 PM
If that's what happens, the only logical thing to do is what we should have done this season: have a camp/preseason competition for the starting job. If JP improves enough through whatever experience he gets this year and/or offseason work, he'll win the job. Either way, we'll have the better QB on the field when the games count in September.

I don't want this team to end up like Washington or Baltimore: starting a crappy QB just cuz he was a high-round draft pick.

True, but we also arent Cinnci, Indy, Philly, Pitt, or NYG enjoying the high round QB that they stuck behind.

X-Era
11-09-2005, 08:00 PM
Holcomb will start the majority of the Bills games this year and for the next 2 years.

Some of you Bills fans are just gonna have to get use to it.

Now, it is clear. You are merely a board terrorist who is trying to spread hate everywhere.

Nice try but the Bills are way smarter than you and will have JP back in before the end of THIS season and for good.