PDA

View Full Version : How is Philly 10-15 million under the cap?

Turf
11-10-2005, 07:37 PM
I hear that next year Philly will be 10-15 million under the cap.
How in the world does a team that went to 4 straight Super Bowls,have Mcnabb and sign TO to a 47 million dollar contract, manage to put a team on the field that wins year after. How do they convince these guys to stay for the pay they're getting? Did someone offer them a Wendy's Bacon Melt or something?

zone
11-10-2005, 07:39 PM
Because they are the greediest org in the NFL. They think that they can do whatever they want.

OpIv37
11-10-2005, 07:41 PM
I think that's assuming they cut TO. That should free up close to $10 million on it's own.

Plus, other than Westbrook and McNabb, what stars does Philly have? They have some good defenders but nobody on the Ray Lewis/McAllister/Strahan dominant level, and their other receivers are terrible.

Drive 4 Five
11-10-2005, 07:44 PM
How in the world does a team that went to 4 straight Super Bowls,have Mcnabb and sign TO to a 47 million dollar contract, manage to put a team on the field that wins year after. How do they convince these guys to stay for the pay they're getting? Did someone offer them a Wendy's Bacon Melt or something?

Because they don't pay greedy ass morons like Owens what THEY think they are worth. Owens may get $40+ Million but he THINKS he deserves $120 Million. That's how...

Billsouth
11-10-2005, 07:55 PM
well, actually i think they use a loophole. clump knows a lot more about it but it involves putting unreachable incentives in some contracts (i.e. if j.p losman wins 2 games in a row he receives 2 mil bonus). the incentive counts against the cap the year it is in the contract but the team gets a credit the next year if it is not reached.

we should have put such an incentive in mw's contract. we would be 50 million under the cap

ajsdx
11-10-2005, 08:10 PM
well, actually i think they use a loophole. clump knows a lot more about it but it involves putting unreachable incentives in some contracts (i.e. if j.p losman wins 2 games in a row he receives 2 mil bonus). the incentive counts against the cap the year it is in the contract but the team gets a credit the next year if it is not reached.
we should have put such an incentive in mw's contract. we would be 50 million under the cap

lol...i like JP, but that dig was very nice. well done.

Turf
11-10-2005, 09:48 PM

LMAO

gannd
11-10-2005, 09:54 PM
They always are under the cap like that. But I guess theres an accountant out there that could give you an answer.

chubluv
11-10-2005, 10:01 PM
How is Philly 10-15 million under the cap?

Very Carefully!!

BSXIII
11-10-2005, 10:19 PM
Teams get cap credits for likely to be earned (LTBE) bonus incentives that aren't met the following season. When the Pats cut Milloy a few years back, they freed up cap space, but it was too late to use it. They did something ridiculous like giving a RB who wasn't gonna return a punt all year a bonus for punt return yards, when restructuring his contract(I forget the exact specifics, but it was something along these lines). The idea was rather than be $2M under the cap that year when it was too late to sign anyone else, they'd max the cap out that year and get a $2M credit the next year. Anyhow, the player never had a chance to earn the bonus, and as a result they were credited on the next years cap.

Devin
11-11-2005, 01:21 AM
How in the world does a team that went to 4 straight Super Bowls

I am assuming you meant 1 Superbowl and 4 NFC Championship games or something along those lines?

Id have to refer to clump on this one.

But Philly has been in this shape the past like 3 seasons. Owens is in the 2nd year of I believe a 49 Million dollar deal. Mcnabb signed like a 115 mil - 14 year contract in 2002 or 2003 and that contract escalates gradually his pay doesnt get hairy for Philly till like 2008 or 2009.

Lastly you have Jevon Kearse whose deal is for 8 years and 66 Mil. 20 mil of his contract is paid in the form of a 16 mil signing bonus and 4 mil roster bonus in the first two seasons.

As far as how they managed their money I defer to clump.

Jeff1220
11-11-2005, 06:48 AM
They do develop homegrown players pretty well. Drafting well helps your cap figures tremendously.

BillsFever21
11-11-2005, 08:30 AM
It's called a creative front office. Something we don't have.

madness
11-11-2005, 08:47 AM

We signed McNabb and TO?? :snicker: