PDA

View Full Version : NFL, Coliseum reach agreement; where, when unknown

Michael82
11-10-2005, 09:35 PM
The NFL and city officials have reached a preliminary agreement on terms to bring a team back to the Los Angeles Coliseum.

Commissioner Paul Tagliabue made the announcement Thursday on the steps of City Hall. But he didn't identify a potential tenant or speculate when Los Angeles might get the team.

He also spoke positively about a team playing at a facility proposed for the Angel Stadium parking lot in Anaheim and didn't rule out the Rose Bowl in Pasadena as a possible home field, either.

As Tagliabue entered a limousine, he was asked if he could assess the significance of what he had just announced. He replied, "I'd rather not try."

The commissioner did say: "It's the first time we've had agreement on term sheets. We're one step closer, two or three steps closer. Whether it's 2009, 2010, or 2000-whatever, our goal is to have definitive agreements on all subject matters well before our league meetings in March."

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9035681

Michael82
11-10-2005, 09:37 PM
City Councilman Bernard Parks said after listening to Tagliabue that he believes the Coliseum will eventually get an existing team rather than an expansion team.Hmmmm, the question is...what team? I hope it's the Saints. :nervous:

RedEyE
11-10-2005, 09:50 PM
City Councilman Bernard Parks said after listening to Tagliabue that he believes the Coliseum will eventually get an existing team rather than an expansion team

BSXIII
11-10-2005, 09:56 PM
Hmmmm, the question is...what team? I hope it's the Saints. :nervous:

With the way the divisions are set up, it will be tough to add any teams, so relocation is the way to go. After LA, Toronto must be second on the list for cities to expand to. That's where this teams future could get complicated. Right now, the Bills tap into the Toronto market. Should the Bills move, Toronto would surely become the top candidate for a team, as they are the 4th or 5th biggest market in North America. So looking 2 steps ahead, to when Toronto would need a team, the league would be best suited moving the team that a lot of the market already (somewhat) follows.

Maybe I'm not making much sense, but I just think if this team were to move it would be to Toronto. A top 5 market, where they already have a fanbase.

gannd
11-10-2005, 10:20 PM
Toronto will not get a team. First of all that would destroy Buffalo's market. Second I could see some problems with getting some players (just look at Baltimore) getting over the border to play with criminal records. Third the CFL will not let it happen even though the CFL sucks.

And finally just look at the Raptors.

BSXIII
11-10-2005, 10:39 PM
Toronto will not get a team. First of all that would destroy Buffalo's market.

My point was that if Buffalo moved, Toronto would then be the top canidate to get a NFL team. Since they are one of the 5 biggest markets in North America, and they wanted a team since the skydome was built. Since they tap into the Buffalo market now, moving the Bills would create another huge market with no NFL team.

In the big picture, this is exaclty why the Bills will not be the team that moves to LA as some have speculated. If they moved, it would be to Toronto. Again, I'm not saying that they are moving to Toronto, just that they will not move to LA because if they were gonna move they already have a big following in one of the 5 biggest North American markets.

hammerbillsfan
11-10-2005, 10:41 PM
I would shoot myself if the Bills moved to Toronto.

gannd
11-10-2005, 11:46 PM
Buffalo is not moving, Toronto is not getting a team. NO is going to LA. FBH will eventually get crabs.

These are all truths.

Bill Brasky
11-11-2005, 12:00 AM
NO can kiss the Saints goodbye.

SabreEleven
11-11-2005, 01:08 AM
Buffalo is not moving, Toronto is not getting a team. NO is going to LA. FBH will eventually get crabs.

These are all truths.

You are the Sylvia Brown of the Zone

Michael82
11-11-2005, 01:21 AM
NO can kiss the Saints goodbye.
Agreed. The Saints will probably stay in San Antonio next year just to help figure out how well a team does down there and then will move to LA in 2007.

Scumbag College
11-11-2005, 07:59 AM
I hate this. Even in a small market and putting together very mediocre teams the past few years, the Bills have sold out almost every game, including all of the luxury seats. The Ralph holds 73,000+, and they continue to sell out-even in December. LA is the second largest market in the league AND has nice weather in December and January, and back in the early 90's couldn't even come close to selling out PLAYOFF games. On the off chance the Bills have a home playoff game this year, how long would it take for those tickets to sell out? Why would the Raiders move from the second biggest market in the league to a small stadium in a smaller market? Because people weren't going to the games in LA. If anyone should move there, move the Cardinals. They only have 20, 30 thousand people at most at their games by the end of the year. If the Bills move from Buffalo to LA, this would be one of the biggest travesties in pro sports.

BillsFever21
11-11-2005, 08:54 AM
I hate this. Even in a small market and putting together very mediocre teams the past few years, the Bills have sold out almost every game, including all of the luxury seats. The Ralph holds 73,000+, and they continue to sell out-even in December. LA is the second largest market in the league AND has nice weather in December and January, and back in the early 90's couldn't even come close to selling out PLAYOFF games. On the off chance the Bills have a home playoff game this year, how long would it take for those tickets to sell out? Why would the Raiders move from the second biggest market in the league to a small stadium in a smaller market? Because people weren't going to the games in LA. If anyone should move there, move the Cardinals. They only have 20, 30 thousand people at most at their games by the end of the year. If the Bills move from Buffalo to LA, this would be one of the biggest travesties in pro sports.

Only because our tickets are some of the cheapest in the league. If it cost $75+ for the worst seats in the stadium like it does in many other stadiums we would never come close to selling out. Parking is even twice as much.

I know someone with season tickets for the Steelers. She pays almost two grand for a pair of tickets to sit in the upper deck. They also had to pay a PSL which was pretty hefty.

If it costs that much for the upper deck imagine how much it would be for season tickets in the lower bowl or the 50 yard line?

The economy is so bad in WNY we would only draw maybe 50k a game if we were lucky if tickets cost that much.

Pride
11-11-2005, 09:05 AM
Ticket prices are directly related to the demand. In green bay, tickets are super expensive because there is a waiting list to get them! You can't charge $100 if you arent selling out games. So in the case of L.A. If they cant fill the stadium, prices will drop.