PDA

View Full Version : Breaking down this game....

OpIv37
11-13-2005, 10:29 PM
Note- this is long but there's a summary at the end.

Ok, this was an ugly win, but it was a win nonetheless. I'm going to attempt to break down the good and the bad and figure out what this team needs to do to keep moving.

Offense-
The running game never really got on track, but I blame this on coaching. McGahee started the game with a good run that was called back on a penalty on Roscoe Parrish. Parrish is no higher than 3rd on the depth chart- why is your 3rd WR in the game on the first offensive play of the game? Then McGahee had a few bad runs and the coaches gave up on him way too early. Holcomb was flat and Losman's speed provided the spark the offense needed.

The playcalling needs to improve dramatically- consider:
-Flea Flicker on 3rd and 10
-That stupid trick play on 4th and 1 (no doubt trying to re-create the play that went for a TD against Seattle last year)
-That ridiculous pitch to Shaud when the D gave the O the ball on the 15 yard line

If the Bills are going to win, JP needs to play, but he needs to minimize mistakes. On the one play where he almost got called for grounding- he ran backwards and came very close to losing 12 yards. He also threw that one play in the red zone that was almost picked, showing he didn't recognize the pass coverage. The offense needs to stick with McGahee, take out the trick plays, and run designed runs with Losman, particularly in the red zone. I'd almost want to see them run a sort of option play- Losman looks for one receiver and takes off if he's not open.

Defense:
Bannan and Anderson suck against the run, but this was the best pass rush I've seen from the Bills in a while. The D line was getting penetration and the blitzes worked. That being said, the middle of the field was wide open. At this point in their careers, Gates is better than Gonzales and will have a field day against this type of D. Gray needs to cover the middle of the field better- hopefully Anderson and Bannan can continue the pass rush and the LB's can hang back a while.

Crowell's growing- this dude will be good.

As far as stopping the run, I don't know. Having Adams back will help, but I think the D needs to come up with big turnovers again because LT will shred us. Another key is getting an early lead to limit SD's ability to use the run. Hopefully the Bills can return to their fast starts next week.

Special teams:
The return game wasn't even necessary today so I can't say much about that, other than that Parrish still looks confused on punt returns.

The punt and kickoff coverage was nothing short of spectacular. Dante Hall was a non-factor.

Lindell was back to his old tricks. I'll give him a pass because his misses didn't hurt us in the long run. But he's gonna have to step it up if this team is going to stay in the division title hunt.

So, to sum up, here's what has to happen to beat SD and keep winning:
-More runs and less trick plays on offense (gee, where have we heard that before?)
-Use Losman's speed, particularly in the red zone
-Cover the middle of the field better on D
-Get pass rush from Anderson and Bannan
-Win the turnover battle (bend but don't break, big play D)
-Score touchdowns so Lindell doesn't have to kick.

Tatonka
11-13-2005, 11:23 PM
good write up

jamze132
11-13-2005, 11:46 PM
Yes it was a good right up. We were outplayed in just about every way today. But when turnovers happen, anything is possible. I would also like to thank every fan who screamed there lungs out at the stadium. No doubt the 12th man helped!