PDA

View Full Version : Should the Bills start fresh at Backup QB?

Dozerdog
01-16-2003, 11:24 AM
I'm not enamoured with Alex Van Pelt or Travis Brown.

Sure, they were adequate backups on a 3-13, 8-8 team.

But now that the Buffalo Bills are serious contenders not only for the division but to make a run deep into the playoffs next year, shouldn't we take the backup position more seriously?

I would hate to build a contender only to see the Bills window of opportinity slam shut if Bledsoe went down. Do we bring in a cheap veteran backup along the lines of Buerline or Frerotte?

Do we get a QB in the draft? Happy with Doughboy and Travwys Brown?

German
01-16-2003, 11:31 AM
I would say maybe next year.
But if the Bills see a guy with potential in the late rounds, go for it.

don137
01-16-2003, 11:34 AM
Actually my choice is not up there which is waive AVP, keep Brown and draft a QB (but not early). I think Brown has enough under his belt to be the backup.

BillsNYC
01-16-2003, 11:36 AM
avp is the greatest living bill, and the team loves and respects him as a leader....and t brown has potential...so i think its not a dire need right now...

LABillsFan
01-16-2003, 11:42 AM
I don't if I would use the word happy, maybe content, but with the time, money and effort put into AVP and Brown, and many holes to fill, I think keeping them makes sense for this upcoming season. No 1st. round draft choice is big so I would dedicate the draft to other positions. FA leaves the door open during the year if DB gets knocked out for the season. AVP may not have the strongest arm but neither does Peddington who was very effective this year. Brown (wildcard) needs to get more work in preseason to be truely evaluated, but he knows the system where as a late round draft pick would just be taking up space on the pine.

Earthquake Enyart
01-16-2003, 11:43 AM
They need to decide next season if Brown can be the QB of the future. If not, the 2004 draft is the time to get a QB. They shouldn't draft one this year because the obvious needs, along with needing more depth for special teams.

Dozerdog
01-16-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by don137
Actually my choice is not up there which is waive AVP, keep Brown and draft a QB (but not early). I think Brown has enough under his belt to be the backup.

Sounds good- I put it up as a choice!

Dozerdog
01-16-2003, 11:50 AM
I really think that if Price does not re-sign , then we should invest $750,000 in a veteran backup. Someone with playoff experience. I would hate to see an 8-4 Bills team get stung by a QB injury and tank the rest of the season.

Look at Tampa Bay- They would be eliminated by now if they didn't grab a decent backup this offseason. Not to say that King and RJ did well, but imagine if they were bringing in some no name journeyman?

Everybody got spoiled on the Tom Brady story- Superbowl MVP's don't fall out of trees every day.

Romes
01-16-2003, 11:50 AM
why not keep both, and either draft a guy late round or FA and see how it unfolds in camp. Thats what i would do.

Romes
01-16-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Everybody got spoiled on the Tom Brady story- Superbowl MVP's don't fall out of trees every day.

I agree. It actually happened three times in a relativley short period with Warner, Brady and Brooks. Eventhough Brooks did not win a SB he is a very solid QB. This leads people to believe that everyteam has a future star QB sitting on their bench when that simply is not the case.

WG
01-16-2003, 11:57 AM
I'm w/ don137 here.

BTW, how on earth does anyone have any clue as to how good Brown is?

Many of the QBs starting in this league were backups who only started due to injuries to the starters ahead of them. They only became known for that reason. Some of them are:

Maddox, Holcombe, Fiedler, Brady, Gannon, Green, Favre, Brooks, Garcia, Warner, and Bulger. If not for injuries or trades by their teams only treating them as backups, then not one of those QBs would ever have developed into anything. Nothing at all.

So I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone can say that Brown isn't a good QB simply b/c some coach who isn't even respected by many of the same people making the statement says so. Apparently the same "pro" NFL coaches thought the same about those QBs above and others. Meanwhile, b/c they "we're supposed to be good coming out of college," QBs like Plummer, Hasselbeck, Carter, Couch, and Stewart get the nod while their teams lose games as a result. It's mindboggling I tell you.

Earthquake Enyart
01-16-2003, 11:59 AM
They do the same thing with Joe Burns.

Another case of The Man keeping you down. :shakeno:

justasportsfan
01-16-2003, 11:59 AM
Why fix what isn't broken? If we are hoping for back-up qb's that would emerge to be the likes of Holcombe, Feeley(sp) ,Brady , Lucas (j/k) , then yes.

Right now, I don't think there is a need for it. Keep AVP who has been steady and should anything happen , TB is still there.

The best time to look into this would be training camp and pre-season.

don137
01-16-2003, 12:03 PM
Brown looked decent against Miami in the season finale two years ago. With another year under his belt I would like to see what he can do. I wonder if the Bills can send him to NFL Europe just to get some game experience and give him a closer look.

don137
01-16-2003, 12:06 PM
One more thing. Since this is a deep year for QB's a team can draft a decent QB in the mid to late rounds.

TigerJ
01-16-2003, 12:24 PM
I would not drop either AVP or Travis Brown before the draft. AVP is a known quantity. He'll never be great, but he may win you a couple games with a decent team around him. TB is an unknown quantity. He has good athleticism, a strong arm and apparently has enough smarts to do the job. The only thing he really lacks is experience under the gun. We don't know if he can do the job because he's never been in a position where he's had to do it. I would draft a QB in the mid to late rounds if I saw one I really thought had good potential to become a starter some day, but he would have to come in and compete.

Halbert
01-16-2003, 02:09 PM
OMG. I could not disagree more. Youse must be crazy.

The Bills ARE going to be SB contenders next season. With all their room in the salcap and all the good young talent on this team that has matured together, a few key FA's will greatly strengthen the defense and fill the holes elsewhere on the team.

What a championship team wants out of it's backup QB is a guy who can stand the pressure, won't lose games, and knows how the system works. Given Drew's excellent durability, it is most likely that he would only lose a couple of games max and in that span AVP would be an ideal backup. You wouldn't want him as your 16 game starter, but he can fill in more than adequately with a solid team around him.

Another thing is his incredible bargain price for all the experience he has. Sure, you could go out and get another strong armed vet, but you are guaranteed to pay more to have him stand around and perhaps play 2-3 games next season - essentially a very expensive insurance policy that probably would not even repay you the premiums. I'd rather use that money to add another vet someplace else (ie. defensive depth) and gamble that we won't need an extended start from a backup QB behind Drew.

Even if he had to start 5-6 games, AVP would still likely win 3-4 of them with a strong running game, great receivers, and a solid defense. Spending money on some other QB would likely be a waste.

And puhleeze don't tell me you'd want Travis as your starter when the Bills are in the stretch drive for the division around the beginning of December. Jeez.

justasportsfan
01-16-2003, 02:39 PM
Like I said, why fix what isn't broken?

AVP may never pull a Brady or Pennington type of performance , but he is able and knows the team.

Dozerdog
01-16-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
Why fix what isn't broken? If we are hoping for back-up qb's that would emerge to be the likes of Holcombe, Feeley(sp) ,Brady , Lucas (j/k) , then yes.

Right now, I don't think there is a need for it. Keep AVP who has been steady and should anything happen , TB is still there.

The best time to look into this would be training camp and pre-season.

So you are comfortable if the Bills are 8-4 at thanksgiving, and Bledsoe goes down for 3 weeks with a bruised knee.

Would yo wand AVP, Brown, or a FA vet like Testeverde, Buerline, Batch, Chandler? (Chandler was for wys:))

lordofgun
01-16-2003, 02:52 PM
I think AVP's more than adequate for next year, but he's getting up there in age and I wouldn't mind drafting someone or letting Travis Brown eventually become the #2 based on how he performs.

There are FAR more pressing needs right now.

The_Philster
01-16-2003, 04:05 PM
Keep both of them through training camp unless you can get a solid free agent. If you can get that free agent, dump Brown and move AVP to 3rd string. If you can't, use a draft pick (mid-rounds) and an undrafted free agent to give us 5 arms in camp. Bledsoe is the starter and the other four fight for those other two spots. AVP will likely remain at least as a 3rd stringer.

Ð
01-16-2003, 06:05 PM
Bring in RJ

The_Philster
01-16-2003, 06:21 PM
:eek:

Typ0
01-16-2003, 07:40 PM
Just because Brown has been on the roster for three years does not give him a roster spot by default. Draft a QB and let the draftee, VP and Brown fight it out for the roster spots. Maybe Brown has "Potential" but if the draftee has more "Potential" then keep the draftee and cut Brown or send him to NFL europe. Same goes for Van Pelt if he shows up completely lost in camp next season.

Typ0
01-16-2003, 07:42 PM
Part of this goes back to drafting the best player too. We are saying when it's time to pick in the draft if the best player is a QB we are going to pick him.

WG
01-16-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
They do the same thing with Joe Burns.

Another case of The Man keeping you down. :shakeno:

Who is this "Man" I've been hearin' about for most of my life! Maybe Fat Tony and his boys should pay this guy a visit to "clear up any misunderstandings!"

WG
01-16-2003, 08:46 PM

So you are comfortable if the Bills are 8-4 at thanksgiving, and Bledsoe goes down for 3 weeks with a bruised knee.

Would yo wand AVP, Brown, or a FA vet like Testeverde, Buerline, Batch, Chandler? (Chandler was for wys:))

Actually, I'd like to grab Leaf. I think he has something left in the tank. Then we should go back and get Schuler, he's still young. Then we can add Testeverde as our 3rd stringer. I'd be happy then...

The_Philster
01-16-2003, 08:47 PM
:scared:

The Natrix
01-16-2003, 11:11 PM

Look at Tampa Bay- They would be eliminated by now if they didn't grab a decent backup this offseason. Not to say that King and RJ did well, but imagine if they were bringing in some no name journeyman?

hmmm, didn't RJ sign a one year deal with Tampa?

I really wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in as the backup. There wouldn't be a QB controversy, because Drew would kick his a$$ if he acted up. It was really easy for RJ to push Flutie around.

Lets do it! :mex:

WG
01-16-2003, 11:40 PM
You're joking, right...

The Natrix
01-16-2003, 11:57 PM
ooooookkaaaayyyyy wys!

As I recall, you thought that if RJ renog'd, he could get another shot as a starter for the Bills. Now he is not good enough to be a backup?

I like Dozers idea, however I think RJ is better than Buerlien or Frerrotte.

Typ0
01-17-2003, 01:33 AM
Dozer I'm not so sure about what you are saying about Tampa Bay. I watched a lot of their games this season and their offense was killer go for the throat with Brad Johnson after about game seven but when Rob Johnson or Saun King got on the field they were whimp run for the hills. I believe they kicked one field goal without Brad Johnson prior to last week and BJ spent several weeks on the bench.

justasportsfan
01-17-2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by The Natrix

hmmm, didn't RJ sign a one year deal with Tampa?

I really wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in as the backup. There wouldn't be a QB controversy, because Drew would kick his a$$ if he acted up. It was really easy for RJ to push Flutie around.

Lets do it! :mex:

Here we go again...... I'd rather have Flutie back.:nbf:

Dozer, this is why I said we should see where we are at at 2nd string qb when training camp and preseason starts. If AVP is getting too fat , I mean old then we can look for other options. TB would be another option. There are more important needs other than Backup qb.

Bert102176
01-17-2003, 06:15 PM
If we Drop Alex that saves us what a Mil. or 2, so why not.

The_Philster
01-17-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Bert102176
If we Drop Alex that saves us what a Mil. or 2, so why not.

Because he's a solid #2 guy. We can't say that about anyone else...either Travis Brown or a draft pick.

Bert102176
01-18-2003, 12:49 AM
if it would help us keep Price here then cut Van Pelt

The_Philster
01-18-2003, 04:17 AM
But then if Drew goes down, who do we have to throw to Price that we can count on?