PDA

View Full Version : OMG Mularkey wants to start Holcomb

HHURRICANE
11-15-2005, 08:27 AM
I actually think this numb nut wants to start Holcomb. Maybe MM and Mike Williams can take the same bus to loserville after this season is over.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20051115/1004654.asp

don137
11-15-2005, 08:39 AM
Its a ploy to keep the Chargers off there feet since the coaches will game plan for the Bills today...

OpIv37
11-15-2005, 08:40 AM
it might be another one of his bad attempts at deception

casdhf
11-15-2005, 08:44 AM
Kelly's a cool vet, JP is a fiesty, emotional rookie. This is going to be a hard game in a tough atmosphere. I think the wiley vet is the way to go, at least for this week.

HHURRICANE
11-15-2005, 08:45 AM
Again, MM is his own worse enemy. Maybe if he spent more time with Tom Clements putting a real game plan together instead of trying to out smart the other coaches in the league we might be talking playoffs. He needs to focus on his team.

HHURRICANE
11-15-2005, 08:51 AM
Kelly's a cool vet, JP is a fiesty, emotional rookie. This is going to be a hard game in a tough atmosphere. I think the wiley vet is the way to go, at least for this week.

I have yet to see the cool vet win us a game. JP did that this past weekend. I understand the pressure of playing a good team on the road. If not now, when? I've watched every game for the past 5 years and I'm kind of tired of mediocrity. I'm not watching if Holcomb is the starter. My time is better spent with my daughter shooting hoops in the yard. Losman is fun to watch and you naturally want to root for him. Let the kid play.

Kerr
11-15-2005, 08:54 AM
My guess is that it's another attempt, like op said, at deception.
It might actually work this time because even though losman had a solid game, the team wasn't expecting to name him the starter anytime soon behind holcomb. They were just planning on getting a series or two from him.

If mularkey starts holcomb, it's going to make losman angrier than he was.

HHURRICANE
11-15-2005, 08:58 AM
"Hey kid you played great. Now sit on the bench and wait for our career backup to get his opportunity." Talk about hurting a players confidence and development. Let's hope that there is absolutely no truth to this. Period.

justasportsfan
11-15-2005, 09:09 AM
You guys are reading too much into it. Even MarvLevy said he understands why MM is not naming the starter yet. Maybe Marv is also a numb nut for agreeing w/ MM.

OpIv37
11-15-2005, 09:17 AM
You guys are reading too much into it. Even MarvLevy said he understands why MM is not naming the starter yet. Maybe Marv is also a numb nut for agreeing w/ MM.

either that or Marv Levy is being politically expedient by not publicly calling out the current coach of his old team and adding to the controversy.

Michael82
11-15-2005, 09:23 AM
If mularkey starts holcomb, it's going to make losman angrier than he was.

not just that, it really could be the blow to his confidence that we worry about. Just imagine this...you have the job, you struggle, so you work your ass off and get a chance, but nope...not enough. They choose to go with the old veteran because they still think he gives the team a better chance. I worry that doing that could lead to a Ryan Leaf situation.

Now that Losman got his chance and did good...he has to be starting for the rest of the season, IMO.

justasportsfan
11-15-2005, 09:26 AM
either that or Marv Levy is being politically expedient by not publicly calling out the current coach of his old team and adding to the controversy. Like I said, you're reading too much into what someone says and making you're own conclusion.

Jan Reimers
11-15-2005, 09:37 AM
I think Mularkey is into face-saving, rather than winning. He doesn't want to look more stupid than he already does by switching QBs again, thus admitting that he made a mistake by yanking JP for the very mediocre Holcomb. MM has to continue his public stance that Holcomb is the man, even against all evidence to the contrary.

Save face, Mike.

Earthquake Enyart
11-15-2005, 09:39 AM
Whoever wins should get the next start. I don't care who it is.

RedEyE
11-15-2005, 09:42 AM
I don't think Holcomb is going to get a chance to play. As of yesterday he was experiencing headaches from his concussion. If the concussion is mild, he might be back before Saturday, but that leaves him no practice time to prepare for this Chargers team. Meanwhile, a healthy Losman takes every snap in practice this week.

justasportsfan
Whoever wins should get the next start. I don't care who it is. Same here.

Kerr
not just that, it really could be the blow to his confidence that we worry about. Just imagine this...you have the job, you struggle, so you work your ass off and get a chance, but nope...not enough. They choose to go with the old veteran because they still think he gives the team a better chance. I worry that doing that could lead to a Ryan Leaf situation.

Now that Losman got his chance and did good...he has to be starting for the rest of the season, IMO.

My conclusion is that, yes, losman should start the rest of the games because he's our future. It appears though that "The Benching" was a positive thing. Even though it was just one game, Losman showed a lot of improvement. He played better than he did in week 1, and that was a win against the texans. However, if mularkey went back to holmcomb, I wouldn't say it would totally shatter losman's confidence. He's a real confident guy and such an instance would make him angrier and push him to get better than he is now. Still, I would go with the kid. The game seems much more exiting when he's in there, instead of holcomb. Remember when we almost beat the pats with holcomb? It was boring even though we were winning.

justasportsfan
11-15-2005, 09:50 AM
not just that, it really could be the blow to his confidence that we worry about. .why would it? Inspite of his benching everyone has given him the vote of confidence that he is the future of this team, no KH. look how much he's grown mentally by this benching. He's thinking like a vet now by saying one good game or 2 throws means nothing. He didn't think that way after the texans win. Enjoy your success for one game after the win and then forget about it the next day and focus on winning the next one. Media and fan praises mean nothing until you've won the sb. I think he's already in that frame of mind.

Meathead
11-15-2005, 09:54 AM
bad fan

(sarcasm)

lordofgun
11-15-2005, 10:20 AM
Yeah! Let's start a "cool vet" who fumbles every time he's hit, has no escapability, can't throw a pass over 5 yards, and would have been 2-3 as a starter had he stayed in the game on Sunday! (coincidentally, the same record JP has if you include Sunday's game)

You're not a bad fan, you're just not thinking clearly.

Forward_Lateral
11-15-2005, 10:26 AM
I read the article, and then re-read it, I don't see where it says Mularkey wants to start Holcomb...am I blind?

TigerJ
11-15-2005, 12:10 PM
It sounds to me as if Mularkey came close to saying Hiolcomb is his starter if he's' healthy.

Novacane
11-15-2005, 12:32 PM
we need a new coach

Earthquake Enyart
11-15-2005, 01:14 PM
Yeah! Let's start a "cool vet" who fumbles every time he's hit, has no escapability, can't throw a pass over 5 yards, and would have been 2-3 as a starter had he stayed in the game on Sunday! (coincidentally, the same record JP has if you include Sunday's game)

You're not a bad fan, you're just not thinking clearly.
JP was going backwards. When they lost to the Saints, they had to switch.

Holcomb looked ok....middle of the pack in QB rating...blah, blah, blah... as long as he looked ok he should keep starting. But it was obvious that he wasn't getting anything done against the Chiefs (having Big Mike in the middle of the line getting blown up every other play didn't exactly help, but that's another story). JP gave them a spark. He can go deep, where Holcomb can't, and he can escape. Hopefully JP goes on from here.

I would be disappointed if they went back to Holcomb Sunday, but if JP stinks, I wouldn't hesitate to pull him either. Sorry to be middle of the road. I'm all for winning games.

Typ0
11-15-2005, 01:52 PM
I think Mularkey is into face-saving, rather than winning. He doesn't want to look more stupid than he already does by switching QBs again, thus admitting that he made a mistake by yanking JP for the very mediocre Holcomb. MM has to continue his public stance that Holcomb is the man, even against all evidence to the contrary.
Save face, Mike.

seems to me that saving face is more involved with winnning the game than who starts.

jdenning
11-15-2005, 01:59 PM
Holcomb provides us a better chance to win, I dont care that JP threw 2 td passes against the worst pass defense in the league... i think JP looked good but keeep him on the bench hes not ready, holcomb did awesome vs patriots, and vs chiefs was struggling but would have came around

Throne Logic
11-15-2005, 02:47 PM
Again, MM is his own worse enemy. Maybe if he spent more time with Tom Clements putting a real game plan together instead of trying to out smart the other coaches in the league we might be talking playoffs. He needs to focus on his team.

You know, this is a much broader topic than you may have intended. Mularky seems more concerned about fooling the opponent than just beating them. You see it in the weekly crap, like the topic of this thread. More importantly, we see it way too much in the games. This team needs to focus on the basics and cut out the BS trick plays.

Romes
11-15-2005, 02:53 PM
I don't see any reason why Losman wouldn't start next week. Holcomb is injured a concussion is a very serious injury. Especially, if he is still having headaches. Based on this alone one would presume Losman would start on Sunday.

Add to that the fact that Losman came in and was accurate on most his throws and looked to much more calm and confident in the pocket than the first 4 weeks. He scarmbled and threw the deep ball well, two things that Holcomb has not been able to do. There is no reason for Losman not to start sunday.

Anything Mularkey says that may allude to Holcomb starting is just him trying to gain some competitive advantage.

Jan Reimers
11-15-2005, 03:38 PM

I was thinking exactly the same thing. The "cool vet" thing means very little when the vet in question lacks the talent to win consistently - and almost never against a strong opponent on the road. Holcomb will simply allow us to lose quietly and respectably.

I'd rather lose spectacularly with JP - an athlete with a gun and an attitude - than sit through another game with the incredibly insipid Holcomb.

DynaPaul
11-15-2005, 03:42 PM
I was thinking exactly the same thing. The "cool vet" thing means very little when the vet in question lacks the talent to win consistently - and almost never against a strong opponent on the road. Holcomb will simply allow us to lose quietly and respectably.
I'd rather lose spectacularly with JP - an athlete with a gun and an attitude - than sit through another game with the incredibly insipid Holcomb.

The only reason why Holcomb ever came in was because we supposedly had a championship team that just needed a caretaker as the QB when Losman struggled. Well, Holcomb came in and didn't really open up the offense much and after that New England game I believe that it just isn't worth it to hinder the development of JP just so we can get a win or two more and still miss the playoffs. During Holcomb's starting time I didn't believe that I saw a championship team on the field. We only got one real big play out of him in the New England game and then he muffed up that 4th down because he's automatically inclined to make the short safe throw. You can't win with a guy who's going to check down every time. After seeing JP come off the bench firing during the KC game I believe more than ever that he needs to just come in and take his lumps as a rookie.

Jan Reimers
11-15-2005, 03:49 PM
Holcomb provides us a better chance to win, I dont care that JP threw 2 td passes against the worst pass defense in the league... i think JP looked good but keeep him on the bench hes not ready, holcomb did awesome vs patriots, and vs chiefs was struggling but would have came around
Awesome against the Pats? Would have come around against the Chiefs? Did you really watch him in either game?

Holcomb is a threat to get sacked every time he drops back, and to fumble every time he gets hit. He can't run, or scramble, or even spin out of trouble. If he throws over 10 yards, our receivers have to signal for a fair catch.

Keeping Losman on the bench in back of Holcomb is like running your Ford Taurus at LeMans while your Ferrari sits in the paddock.

Jan Reimers
11-15-2005, 03:52 PM
The only reason why Holcomb ever came in was because we supposedly had a championship team that just needed a caretaker as the QB when Losman struggled. Well, Holcomb came in and didn't really open up the offense much and after that New England game I believe that it just isn't worth it to hinder the development of JP just so we can get a win or two more and still miss the playoffs. During Holcomb's starting time I didn't believe that I saw a championship team on the field. We only got one real big play out of him in the New England game and then he muffed up that 4th down because he's automatically inclined to make the short safe throw. You can't win with a guy who's going to check down every time. After seeing JP come off the bench firing during the KC game I believe more than ever that he needs to just come in and take his lumps as a rookie.
Amen.

Holcomb is Bledsoe, but without an arm.

Drive 4 Five
11-15-2005, 05:29 PM
My conclusion is that, yes, losman should start the rest of the games because he's our future. It appears though that "The Benching" was a positive thing. Even though it was just one game, Losman showed a lot of improvement. He played better than he did in week 1, and that was a win against the texans. However, if mularkey went back to holmcomb, I wouldn't say it would totally shatter losman's confidence. He's a real confident guy and such an instance would make him angrier and push him to get better than he is now. Still, I would go with the kid. The game seems much more exiting when he's in there, instead of holcomb. Remember when we almost beat the pats with holcomb? It was boring even though we were winning.

My thoughts exactly. This is bad but...

I have a confession to make. When Holcomb was injured on the play, I was thrilled. I prayed that he would not return to the field. Obviously I don't want to see they guy SERIOUSLY injured or anything like that, I was just SICK of the boring ass anemic offense he led. Tired of all that dink and dunk crap. I hope Losman is here to stay.

Turf
11-15-2005, 06:21 PM
If Mularkey doesn't start Losman he's a freakin moron. Of course I already suspect he is judging by his trick play mentality.