PDA

View Full Version : A suprise move by MM

alohabillsfan
11-15-2005, 10:18 AM
Anderson staying at left guard
By ALLEN WILSON
News Sports Reporter
11/15/2005

Mike Williams thinks he's better off at right tackle. The Buffalo Bills apparently don't agree.
Coach Mike Mularkey said Monday that Williams would start at QuarterBack next week at San Diego.

A surprise starter at left guard Sunday, Williams looked like a guy who never played the position. He blew some critical blocking assignments, twice failing to pick up Kansas City Chiefs defensive end Carlos Hall on a stunt. One breakdown led to a sack that knocked quarterback Kelly Holcomb out of the game with a concussion.

Mularkey blamed himself for Williams' struggles, saying it was too much to ask Williams to perform at a new position after just three days of practice.

"We put Mike in a position that wasn't fair to him," Mularkey said. "We're going to give him some time at a new position and we feel like it's enough, we'll give him a shot."

Williams admitted it was tough adjusting to guard, which is why he prefers to quarterback.

"If you're talking about this year, where we're at the halfway point, I think I would rather move back to quarterback," he said. "I think (head coach Mike) Mularkey and Jim (McNally, offensive line coach) understand that's my feelings."

But Mularkey believes Williams just needs more time to get used to playing behind the center.

"It's just a matter of getting comfortable," Mularkey said. Hopefully the more he gets the better he gets."

Mularkey said Bennie Anderson will start at left guard. That would make Williams one of the highest paid quarterback in the NFL. The fourth overall pick in the 2002 draft is due to make too dam much money this season.
• • •

Quarterback J.P. Losman played well in his return to the lineup Sunday, but it may not be enough for him to regain the starting job for this week's game at San Diego.

Mularkey would not name a starter Monday, but he said his decision will be based on two factors: Williams practice and the Chargers' defense.

Holcomb was still experiencing headaches Monday morning, a day after suffering a blow to the head. The Bills could still turn to Losman, who came off the bench to throw two touchdown passes to beat the Chiefs. But it appears Williams who cannot play a lick of offensive line will be inserted as the starting QB.

"Obviously any injury to the head, neck or back you've got to be very cautious with, and that's what we're going to do with Kelly," Mularkey said. "He took a real good shot. We'll have to wait and see how he progresses each day,"

The Bills could use Holcomb's experience against the Chargers' aggressive 3-4 defense, which features plenty of blitz packages. On the other hand, William's exceptional mobility, which he displayed against the Chiefs, readily escaping oncoming defensive linemen, might give him a better chance of avoiding pressure.
• • •

Free safety Troy Vincent was scheduled to have a magnetic resonance imaging exam to determine the severity of his injured left shoulder. Vincent was hurt in the first quarter Sunday while trying to make a tackle on Chiefs running back Larry Johnson. Mularkey said he'll have the results of Vincent's MRI on Wednesday.

Cornerback Terrence McGee aggravated a sore hamstring that has been nagging him for several days. Mularkey hopes McGee will improve as the week progresses.

Mularkey also expects to get defensive tackle Sam Adams back. Adams sat out Sunday's game with a knee injury.

"One thing about Sam, he's rehabbing his tail off with his knee," Mularkey said. "I think we made a decision based on him not practicing Friday. I think the time off will be good for him."

• • •

The play that was subject to the most second guessing occurred on the Bills' first drive of the second quarter. Facing a fourth and one at their 46-yard line, Holcomb faked a quarterback sneak and was supposed to lateral the ball to running back Willis McGahee. The same play worked for a touchdown last year at Seattle.

However, the play was blown up this time as Chiefs linebacker Rich Scanlon tackled Holcomb for a seven-yard loss.

"The linebacker came over, bit on the sneak and jumped into the hole and disrupted it," Mularkey said. "It was a case where we wanted to take a chance to make a play, and they defended it well."

e-mail: awilson@buffnews.com

justasportsfan
11-15-2005, 10:47 AM
Coach Mike Mularkey said Monday that Williams would start at QuarterBack next week at San Diego.
No wonder why he didn't want to name JP or KH the qb.