PDA

View Full Version : IF we play the same DL....

Devin
11-16-2005, 10:45 PM
Do you think our D will have a similar performance?

I think its pretty much a given LT will put up between 100-150 on us, but if we can keep him out the endzone and they have to go-to or even better rely on the pass do you think we could have a repeat performance?

Is it even possible to shut down Antonio Gates? Hes basically a WR with TE size. Amazing speed.

Mr. Cynical
11-16-2005, 11:37 PM
Unless LT sprains an ankle, he is going to run rough shod over our D. Expect 150 yards and 2 TDs. Our only hope is our offense lights it up with our triplets, JP. WM and LE.

Jan Reimers
11-17-2005, 04:47 AM
Yeah. They have LT, Gates and Brees. They are playing at home. In all probability, they are going to put some points on the board.

That's one of the many reasons we need JP in the game - to give us a chance to score enough to hang with them. Kelly Holcomb's 3 yard passing plays won't cut it.

Meathead
11-17-2005, 05:09 AM
think about it

when the d is getting to's the bills usually win, just like any team. and the bills have shown they definitely can product to's in bunches at times.

that will be the deciding factor

lt will get 150 total yards and at least 1 TD. gates will get at least 75 yards and mccardell will get at least 60. if the rest of the team gets 70 yards that's means they'll get at least around 350 yards total offense not counting kick returns. that's plenty to get them to the 24 point range.

sd is #1 in the league against the run. in their own building i thus expect them to hold mcgahee to about 80 total yards. that means either the QB or the defense has to make plays to compensate. given our QB play on the road the entire season thus far, that appears to be a long-shot. but the defense certainly is capable of creating to's with their blitz pressure if they can get to brees relatively consistently.

if the bills are going to overcome a ten point dog disadvantage they're going to have to get four total to's somewhere to compensate for the yardage gained differential. and of course the bills offense can't have more than one to most likely.

given the way lt will likely run over the bills and gates likely ripping off chunks of yards here and there, quite frankly i don't see the bills getting it done. the qb play will not be explosive enough to match drive for drive with sd and it's not realistic to expect the bills d to get four to's on the road. brees can play a relatively passing conservative game and just grind it out against the bills d.

sd 24-17

ParanoidAndroid
11-17-2005, 05:30 AM
SD hasn't allowed a 100yd rusher all season even though they have played against a few very good running teams.
We are going to have to win this through the air, so this could be a very frustrating game to watch.
I don't know, folks. We just don't match up well against this team.
I wouldn't be surprised if we got blown out.
BUT.... Upsets happen and SD is known for the occasional let down.

X-Era
11-17-2005, 07:38 AM
Do you think our D will have a similar performance?

I think its pretty much a given LT will put up between 100-150 on us, but if we can keep him out the endzone and they have to go-to or even better rely on the pass do you think we could have a repeat performance?

Is it even possible to shut down Antonio Gates? Hes basically a WR with TE size. Amazing speed.

This is a pivotal game for us. Not just this game for our record, but for our future and our luck this year.

Why? Because they will run on us and put up points. Yet, we will struggle to run against them. This is a game when you need to throw TD's to win. I seriously hope that MM wakes up and starts JP this week. If he lets KH start and he dinks and dunks without throwing TD's or gets eatin alive by pthe pass rush, we lose, probably badly.

This is the perfect game for JP. I hope he makes the right move.

X-Era
11-17-2005, 07:52 AM
think about it

when the d is getting to's the bills usually win, just like any team. and the bills have shown they definitely can product to's in bunches at times.

that will be the deciding factor

lt will get 150 total yards and at least 1 TD. gates will get at least 75 yards and mccardell will get at least 60. if the rest of the team gets 70 yards that's means they'll get at least around 350 yards total offense not counting kick returns. that's plenty to get them to the 24 point range.

sd is #1 in the league against the run. in their own building i thus expect them to hold mcgahee to about 80 total yards. that means either the QB or the defense has to make plays to compensate. given our QB play on the road the entire season thus far, that appears to be a long-shot. but the defense certainly is capable of creating to's with their blitz pressure if they can get to brees relatively consistently.

if the bills are going to overcome a ten point dog disadvantage they're going to have to get four total to's somewhere to compensate for the yardage gained differential. and of course the bills offense can't have more than one to most likely.

given the way lt will likely run over the bills and gates likely ripping off chunks of yards here and there, quite frankly i don't see the bills getting it done. the qb play will not be explosive enough to match drive for drive with sd and it's not realistic to expect the bills d to get four to's on the road. brees can play a relatively passing conservative game and just grind it out against the bills d.

sd 24-17

If only that were true all the SD fans could write this one in the books.

It just isnt. One of our QB's has managed to throw TD bombs and scramble for 1st downs. Thats the type of procution that can win this game. Unfortunately its only 1 of our QB's. Hopefully MM will start the right guy. Our chances to win are better that way.

Now, if we can manage to pull a Giants vs. BIlls SB and eat up the clock so that SD rarely gets the ball we can win. But thats providing we actually score TD's at the end of long drives something that a KH lead O hasnt done lately.

Again, its a pivotal game that can change our long term fortunes. I hope MM gets smart and starts the right guy.

chubluv
11-17-2005, 07:54 AM
This is a game when you need to throw TD's to win. I seriously hope that MM wakes up and starts JP this week. If he lets KH start and he dinks and dunks without throwing TD's or gets eatin alive by pthe pass rush, we lose, probably badly.

This is the perfect game for JP. I hope he makes the right move.

I was watching Playbook on the NFL network last night. They were saying that this would be a great road game for JP because we should be able to throw the medium range & deep ball effectivly against the Chargers. They also said that LT will run all over us and this game could be a shootout on the soreboard.

Forward_Lateral
11-17-2005, 08:19 AM
To play devil's advocate, I will say that Holcomb DID have a 55 yard bomb to Moulds vs the Pats. JP had 2 big TD passes vs the Cheifs. Holcomb DOES have big play capability, his problem is he's too afraid of throwing a pick sometimes. JP just says "screw it" and heaves it up there.

OpIv37
11-17-2005, 08:26 AM
To play devil's advocate, I will say that Holcomb DID have a 55 yard bomb to Moulds vs the Pats. JP had 2 big TD passes vs the Cheifs. Holcomb DOES have big play capability, his problem is he's too afraid of throwing a pick sometimes. JP just says "screw it" and heaves it up there.

The thing about the Moulds TD was it was only about a 20-25 yard pass- the rest was Moulds' YAC ability (like a flashback to 3 years ago when he could do that consistently).

Forward_Lateral
11-17-2005, 08:30 AM
The thing about the Moulds TD was it was only about a 20-25 yard pass- the rest was Moulds' YAC ability (like a flashback to 3 years ago when he could do that consistently).

And to play advocate again, Losman's throws were only 30 yards, and Evans made 2 spectacular catches.

HHURRICANE
11-17-2005, 10:08 AM
Unless LT sprains an ankle, he is going to run rough shod over our D. Expect 150 yards and 2 TDs. Our only hope is our offense lights it up with our triplets, JP. WM and LE.

The only way we win is if the offense does it and early!! Go Losman/Evans!!

HHURRICANE
11-17-2005, 10:15 AM
I was watching Playbook on the NFL network last night. They were saying that this would be a great road game for JP because we should be able to throw the medium range & deep ball effectivly against the Chargers. They also said that LT will run all over us and this game could be a shootout on the soreboard.

You know why this is funny? Because the Bills are averaging 15.7 points a game in total points (offense and defense). A shootout on the scoreboard? I'd love to see but I highly doubt it unless Tom Clements has a concussion as well.

Gunzlingr
11-17-2005, 10:15 AM
I think we can win, after all the Jets gave them a run for the money.

Kerr
11-17-2005, 10:56 AM
I would be shocked if our run D held LT to under 100 yds.

RedEyE
11-17-2005, 11:36 AM
The glimer of hope here is to have a defensive repeat from last week. They can run on us all day as long as the Bills come up big on the pass.

San Diego is a smart team though. They're going to disrupt the Bills blitzing scheme early, using a variety of screens and quick reads.

Milloy has been riding that safety blitz all season. I guarantee that if we try that crap against San Diego, they put an instant 7 on the board.

Devin
11-17-2005, 11:44 AM
The glimer of hope here is to have a defensive repeat from last week.

However small it is, that glimmer is there.

:pray:

HHURRICANE
11-17-2005, 12:18 PM
The glimer of hope here is to have a defensive repeat from last week. They can run on us all day as long as the Bills come up big on the pass.

Thank goodness that SD doesn't have a good passing offense! Ooops, uhh they do. Let's hope that Brees has a really off day!!:teary:

don137
11-17-2005, 12:43 PM

I know your just playing deveil advocate but Holcomb does not seem to have a good pocket prescence and he never wants to take any chances. He too often throws to his check off receiver and never throws it deep. You think he wore a skirt for cryin out loud. Have some brass ones and throw the deep one every now and then to keep the defense honest. After that 3 yard throw to Moulds on 4th and 7 against the Patriots convinced me he does not have the "go big or go home" mentality that a lot of great QBs have.

HHURRICANE
11-17-2005, 01:02 PM

"Holcomb DOES have big play capability". Yeah if he throws it 15 yards and the reciver runs another 30 or 40 yards. Where did this statement come from? Everyone knows he does not have a big arm. PERIOD.

Spiderweb
11-17-2005, 01:04 PM
In Moulds defense, if he gets the chance to go 15-18-20 yards downfield, the chance of breaking one grows considerably. With all those 6-8 yard throws he's essentially underneath the LB's frequently, but the 18 yard range gets him by them, thus thinning the defenders. Beat one guy, and it's a long gainer. Remember the days of Kelly to Reed 15-18 yards downfield where Reed beat his man and took it to the house? Moulds is still quicker than Reed was, although Andre ran better routes.