PDA

View Full Version : The golden question.

X-Era
11-17-2005, 07:31 AM
Its not really directed to you Bills fans, at least not most of you. Because most of you agree with me at this point.

Heres the golden question:

When will the Bills be willing to lose games to develop their QB of the future?

The logic is that JP will need to struggle in some finite amount of games to get the on the field experience neccessary to become a productive highly capable QB. If the Bills believe that as well, when will they be willing to make that investment?

If it isnt right here right now, when JP has a great game and looks to play a similar passing D (rank wise), when the hell is it?

OpIv37
11-17-2005, 07:55 AM
Mularkey won't sacrifice until we're eliminated from the playoffs. Unfortunately, with our division being so poor, that could be mid- December, giving JP a whole 2 games.

Now, if Mularkey thinks we can win with Losman, or if Holcomb is injured, it changes things.

AngryTeste
11-17-2005, 08:38 AM
As long as the Bills have a chance to take the division, he needs to go with the QB who can win NOW. I know it doesn't sound right, looking at how things panned out for the Giants, but Losman isn't Manning either.

There are highly paid players who won't be here next season, and deserve the chance to win while they are here. If a team is willing to say that they are gonna put in a QB and accept the losses so he can learn, has officially given up on the season. But the Bills have a legitamate shot. It's the play of Losman that coaches feel that Holcomb is better. I think Holcomb was 4-6 before he was out, and that's not bad.

I saw Losman throw two really nice passes, and his scrambling did keep the Bills driving. But with the division and playoffs so acheivable, they shouldn't tank their season to develop a QB who may NOT pan out...Especially when you have a playoff team THIS year, next year could be different. The Jets and DOlphins will most assuredly be better next year, so take your opportunity now.

OpIv37
11-17-2005, 08:44 AM
I saw Losman throw two really nice passes, and his scrambling did keep the Bills driving. But with the division and playoffs so acheivable, they shouldn't tank their season to develop a QB who may NOT pan out...Especially when you have a playoff team THIS year, next year could be different. The Jets and DOlphins will most assuredly be better next year, so take your opportunity now.

I don't agree that the playoffs are achievable. Sure, technically we're only one game back, but we have to play Carolina, NE, Cincy, Denver and SD, plus two division rivals on the road, and make up a game against NE in the process. That's damn near impossible.

Holcomb looked like **** before getting knocked out of the KC game, and he didn't play well in the second half against NE either. I think it's time to go with Losman.

AngryTeste
11-17-2005, 09:22 AM
I'm not really sure if NE is a lock for the playoffs. Only being one game out-you shouldn't become a darksider yet...

OpIv37
11-17-2005, 09:28 AM
I'm not really sure if NE is a lock for the playoffs. Only being one game out-you shouldn't become a darksider yet...

yeah well I want to believe, but based on how we've played this season and who our next few opponents are, I'm having a hard time seeing us pull it out. If we beat SD and Carolina, I like our chances, but I don't know how we can do that.

Jan Reimers
11-17-2005, 10:08 AM
The fallacy in the underlying premise here - and in at least some of the responses - is that we have a better chance to win with Holcomb now.

We are not sacrificing wins with JP. Looking at our remaining schedule, we will have a much better chance of winning with JP, who gives us much needed firepower against superior opponents like San Diego, Carolina, New England and Denver.

I don't care how experienced Holcomb is. He is at best a dinker and dunker who just never makes the big play. Given our inconsistent running game and our serious defensive problems, we need a QB who can actively help us win, not one whose sole purpose is to try not to lose.

Meathead
11-17-2005, 10:24 AM
i am 100% certain that if holcomb were healthy i'd play him in this game at sd. too much for jp to overcome on the road right now. then i'd probably start jp at home against carolina regardless of the outcome of the game in sd. but i'd pull one of those billychick deals where i wouldn't announce it until as late as i could to force carolina to prep for two qb styles.

i know that isn't likely because coaches and players can't usually handle that type of switching around. but if you think about holcomb and losman's demeanors at this point, if anybody could do it they could. holcomb came in with a great attitude and i can hear wyche whispering in jp's ear when he talks.

but i'd like to see the franchise develop as well as make every effort to get to the playoffs. those objectives are often diametrically opposed but maybe not in this case if jp is ready to handle home games.

Meathead
11-17-2005, 10:36 AM
We are not sacrificing wins with JP. Looking at our remaining schedule, we will have a much better chance of winning with JP, who gives us much needed firepower against superior opponents like San Diego, Carolina, New England and Denver.
that might make sense if his average road game performance wasn't 94 yards, 42% completions, and 0.5 TD's.

holcombs average road numbers are 211 passing yards, 65% completion, 1.5 TD's.

The only reason to start Losman in sd at this point, outside of injury to holcomb, is due to the swiss cheese treatment the OL is going to give whoever plays qb. At least Losman would avoid the sacks and fumbles better.

OpIv37
11-17-2005, 10:42 AM
that might make sense if his average road game performance wasn't 94 yards, 42% completions, and 0.5 TD's.
holcombs average road numbers are 211 passing yards, 65% completion, 1.5 TD's.
The only reason to start Losman in sd at this point, outside of injury to holcomb, is due to the swiss cheese treatment the OL is going to give whoever plays qb. At least Losman would avoid the sacks and fumbles better.

Holcomb's road numbers are inflated- he played NE with a depleted secondary, and Oakland where we got behind early and had to pass to make up time.

Jan Reimers
11-17-2005, 10:50 AM
You should let your own eyes - and not meaningless statistics based on a handful of games - at least help you decide. I have watched Holcomb "beat" two very mediocre teams; let an almost sure win against the Pats slip away on a fumble and a 3 yard pass on 4th and 7; and look hopeless against KC.

JP will make mistakes, for sure. But he will also make plays that will help us overcome some of our major problems. We are in no shape to put this team in the hands of a safe, caretaker QB who can simply play not to lose.

I'm tired of Holcomb The Experienced Veteran. So what? He is not a good QB. Perhaps JP is not a good QB yet, either, but at least he gives us the tools to win.

madness
11-17-2005, 11:02 AM
"Opportunity Knocks"

Holcomb's injury opened the door for JP and JP didn't hesitate to expose Holcomb's faults. JP showed he can be playmaker, something Holcomb has proven he's not.

While I think benching JP the first time was beneficial, the second time won't be. Besides, I don't want a less then 100% Holcomb on the field.

While I still thing the division is up for grabs, I think we need JP's playmaking ability to make any type of run for the playoffs.

Yes, this means I am officially on the other side of the fence now.
It's time to throw in all the chips and "Let it Ride".

OpIv37
11-17-2005, 11:22 AM
o/t- is a golden question anything like a golden shower? Cuz if so I want my posts deleted from this thread.

madness
11-17-2005, 11:41 AM
o/t- is a golden question anything like a golden shower? Cuz if so I want my posts deleted from this thread.

:lmao: That goes for me too.

X-Era
11-17-2005, 02:46 PM
i am 100% certain that if holcomb were healthy i'd play him in this game at sd. too much for jp to overcome on the road right now. then i'd probably start jp at home against carolina regardless of the outcome of the game in sd. but i'd pull one of those billychick deals where i wouldn't announce it until as late as i could to force carolina to prep for two qb styles.

i know that isn't likely because coaches and players can't usually handle that type of switching around. but if you think about holcomb and losman's demeanors at this point, if anybody could do it they could. holcomb came in with a great attitude and i can hear wyche whispering in jp's ear when he talks.

but i'd like to see the franchise develop as well as make every effort to get to the playoffs. those objectives are often diametrically opposed but maybe not in this case if jp is ready to handle home games.

Again, not an answer to the question. When WOULD you be comfortable losing games to develop your young QB? Never doesnt work obviously, only when were mathmetically eliminated means we may see him get only one or two games experience this year if any, it probably will take a heck of alot more than that. So if this year its only when were mathematically out, what about next year? Do we start him and then pull him again after 2 or 3 games if we lose and the he again gets a few starts at the end of the year when we are out of it again if at all? At that rate it would take another 3 or 4 years until the guy gets enough playing time to turn good.

The question stands. If were not willing to lose any this year, y0ou can expect to lose the games whenever we do put him in. When would you like that to be?

X-Era
11-17-2005, 02:48 PM

Depends on who is on the receiving end.

Id be more than happy to piss on a few ideas around here.

FinNasty23
11-18-2005, 02:37 AM
What is the point of tryin to squeak into the playoffs with an 8-8 or 9-7 record... Who ever makes the playoffs from our division most likely will be knocked out in round 1 IMO...

Your not gunna win the Superbowl this year, so why not develop your QB for the future? The hard times are gunna come... why postpone them? just get threw them as soon as possible and build your team into a real superbowl contender...

Trust me, as a Fin fan I have seen the consequenses of sacrificing the future to try and make desperate runs at the playoffs... its ugly...

Also, coming of the success he had last week... he could really start building some confidence if the organization backed him 100%. I say go with your future...

Nasty

Tinboy
11-18-2005, 02:46 AM
Yes I would be willing to "sacrifice" the season to develop Losman. Looking at the Chiefs game I like what i saw, let's stick him!

TigerJ
11-18-2005, 07:52 AM
If Losman does well this weak, the Bills may continue starting him even if the result is a loss. Otherwise, Mularkey appears likely to let him sit until the Bills are eliminated from the playoffs. I agree with OP that the Bills don't look like a playoff team, and almost certainly will fall short given their weaknesses and tough schedule, but Mularkey would be crucified in the press and among fans if it appeared that he made a decision having given up on the season.

X-Era
11-18-2005, 05:20 PM
If Losman does well this weak, the Bills may continue starting him even if the result is a loss. Otherwise, Mularkey appears likely to let him sit until the Bills are eliminated from the playoffs. I agree with OP that the Bills don't look like a playoff team, and almost certainly will fall short given their weaknesses and tough schedule, but Mularkey would be crucified in the press and among fans if it appeared that he made a decision having given up on the season.

Maybe we turn all that around if JP becomes the QB of the future AND now!!!

This is a pivotal game and could mean the playoffs. I dont expect a win, but I will be rooting for it.

Id love to see Losman throw 3 TD's and us win the game.

madness
11-19-2005, 09:07 AM
I think everybody would love to see JP throw 3TD's and win the game. :D