PDA

View Full Version : Help JP succeed this week

TigerJ
11-17-2005, 09:52 PM
San Diego has a tough run defense and ranks third thus far in sacking the QB, though they have given up a lot of yards in the passing game. They will no doubt put 8 and 9 in the box to try and stop McGahee's runs, then come after Losman with both barrels. You are Tom Clements. How will you game plan to protect Losman and help him cope with the pass rush, and hopefully burn the San Diego DBs?

DaBills
11-17-2005, 09:55 PM
If we establish the run early, that should give JP some confidence.

But I'm more concerned with how we handle LT. Once he hits the hole and gets through to our secondary, bad things man, bad things.

madness
11-17-2005, 10:01 PM
I don't know about all that but if I was Clements, I'd throw feces at JP and say rude stuff about his mama. Get mad JP, get mad!! :mad:

TigerJ
11-17-2005, 10:29 PM

But I'm more concerned with how we handle LT. Once he hits the hole and gets through to our secondary, bad things man, bad things.

San Diego is the #1 ranked defense against the run. When Buffalo has faced teams with a tough run defense they have struggled. They also rank third in sacking the QB. Shawn Merriman, the big left outside linebacker is the primary sack artiist. They don't get a lot of sacks from their defensive line. The defensive linemen are all big as is often the case in a 3-4 defense. The ends are converted defensive tackles. They do however give up a lot of yards to opposing teams' passing games. I think Tom Clements has to give Losman a full arsenal of screen passes, roll outs, quick slants etc. At the same time, when SD is not rushing more than 4, Losman has to take several shots downfield. That may force the San Diego linebackers back a bit and open up the running game. I think early on though that the running game is going to yield a lot of carries for three and under yards.

TigerJ
11-17-2005, 10:31 PM
I don't know about all that but if I was Clements, I'd throw feces at JP and say rude stuff about his mama. Get mad JP, get mad!! :mad:

There is a whole thread dedicated to that thought on another Bills fan forum which shall remain nameless at the Zone. I meant this as a serious thread to try and get some real answers.

jamze132
11-17-2005, 11:07 PM
I think we need to throw the deep ball 2-3 times per quarter to keep their defense ogg balance. It will open up more lanes for McGahee if we can hit a couple of passes over 30 yards.

TigerJ
11-17-2005, 11:56 PM
I think we need to throw the deep ball 2-3 times per quarter to keep their defense ogg balance. It will open up more lanes for McGahee if we can hit a couple of passes over 30 yards.

I agree, but the Bills have to be aware of protection issues. The Chargers might be a good team to use the flea flicker on.

Tinboy
11-18-2005, 02:51 AM
Throw'em deep and long all day and keep pounding WMG up the middle! We need to work both ways to succed, if we throw all the time they will pick'em and if we run alot we will get nowhere, so a good mix is important.

don137
11-18-2005, 05:55 AM
A successful flea flicker early would help make the safeties and DBs cheat. Need to not just throw the ball deep but to complete the passes. If JP is way off mark the defense will not respect the pass.

vicmantak
11-18-2005, 05:59 AM
Teague will be destroyed (middle) and he should first read in which side the blitzes are coming before he try to find the open reciever. In other words, he might remember what he did with a very poor OL...

Jan Reimers
11-18-2005, 07:08 AM
I would use JP's natural abilities, including some rollouts, naked bootlegs, QB draws and lots of play action. I would have him loosen things up with long throws to Evans and Parish, which should open up the running and short passing games.

Basically, I would take the reins off JP and let him use his athleticism and big play ability.

jmb1099
11-18-2005, 07:12 AM
I would use JP's natural abilities, including some rollouts, naked bootlegs, QB draws and lots of play action. I would have him loosen things up with long throws to Evans and Parish, which should open up the running and short passing games.
Basically, I would take the reins off JP and let him use his athleticism and big play ability.
Agreed. It is time to let him play and stop using him as a manager. He has great instincts and seems to have settled down a bit, let him go and play football.

TigerJ
11-18-2005, 07:46 AM

We saw some of that last Sunday, with good results. I think the offence was too conservative at the beginning of the season. Taking JP's best personal weapons out of his hands for the sake of simplicity did him no favors.

vicmantak
11-18-2005, 07:53 AM
Agreed. It is time to let him play and stop using him as a manager. He has great instincts and seems to have settled down a bit, let him go and play football.
No! Jan said he would use his natural ABILITIES not his instincts...
NFL is way behind college and J.P. might be focused to read defenses.
To be frank, it's easier to read a 3-4 defense if you know that this system requires one blitzing LB and it exposes the short area.

In other words, J.P. might stay brave and find the "just" opened safety valve (McGahee, Shelton, Campbell, Shaud, etc.)

HHURRICANE
11-18-2005, 07:59 AM

We are not establishing the run early. PERIOD. We better come out throwing!

HHURRICANE
11-18-2005, 08:02 AM
A successful flea flicker early would help make the safeties and DBs cheat. Need to not just throw the ball deep but to complete the passes. If JP is way off mark the defense will not respect the pass.

Is this MM or Tom Clements posing as don137?! Are you kidding me? A flee flicker? How about the old hook and ladder while we are at it? Get real!:rage:

HHURRICANE
11-18-2005, 08:03 AM

You are correct sir!!!

justasportsfan
11-18-2005, 08:15 AM
Make em pay when they stack the line. Some of the positives I saw is the KC game was that JP wasn't just throwing to Reed. He didn't panic in the pocket which gave him a chance to go deep w/ Evans for the TD's. He finally had trust in his wr's to make plays.

Unlike the Pats who show different D schemes to try and confuse the qb, Wade does not do that often which means JP will not have to keep guessing. Sd however does have the talent.

If I were Clements, run ,run, run and keep the Sd O off the field. They have too many weapons for our D to keep up w/. Throw deep to Moulds or Evans to soften up their D line and then run, run ,run again.

Mitchy moo
11-18-2005, 08:16 AM
San Diego has a tough run defense and ranks third thus far in sacking the QB, though they have given up a lot of yards in the passing game. They will no doubt put 8 and 9 in the box to try and stop McGahee's runs, then come after Losman with both barrels. You are Tom Clements. How will you game plan to protect Losman and help him cope with the pass rush, and hopefully burn the San Diego DBs?

Screens and quick slants usually make people play back. It also sets up the run and draw plays as well. You need a mix and you'll catch them and they will catch you.

vicmantak
11-18-2005, 08:22 AM
Make em pay when they stack the line. Some of the positives I saw is the KC game was that JP wasn't just throwing to Reed. He didn't panic in the pocket which gave him a chance to go deep w/ Evans for the TD's. He finally had trust in his wr's to make plays.

Unlike the Pats who show different D schemes to try and confuse the qb, Wade does not do that often which means JP will not have to keep guessing. Sd however does have the talent.

If I were Clements, run ,run, run and keep the Sd O off the field. They have too many weapons for our D to keep up w/. Throw deep to Moulds or Evans to soften up their D line and then run, run ,run again.
EXACTLY!
This is exactly what Bills need to win!

TigerJ
11-18-2005, 01:25 PM
Screens and quick slants usually make people play back. It also sets up the run and draw plays as well. You need a mix and you'll catch them and they will catch you.

I said that in post #5 of this thread.