X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Romes
    • Jul 2002

Great News...Kinda: Spikes wants to be a FA

Linebacker Takeo Spikes hopes the Cincinnati Bengals let him become a free agent rather than using one of its tags to keep him around for another year.

Great News on one hand that he wants to leave the Bengals. Bad news is that he admitted he expects the Bengals to tag him.

"I don't want a tag on me,'' said Spikes, who has declined interviews since midseason. "I feel like my time is done. I did all I can do. I did all that I owed not only to them, but to myself. I just want to win. I just want to compete. That's my whole objective. I don't look at the time I spent in Cincinnati as wasted time. I just want to go somewhere to compete and win.''

I hope the Bengals listen to what their player wants and let him go.
    Originally posted by paladin warrior
    RALPH is drove me nut.
  • LABillsFan
    • Aug 2002

Lewis was thought to have some influence on Spikes if he came to coach the Bengals. Guess not.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• mackey789
      • Jul 2002

I guarantee they let him become a free agent, and i guarantee the bills go after him. Hopefully we outbid everyone else. Its one of the positions that we desperatly need to fill so im sure TD will do whatever he can do to lure him in.

Comment

• PA Season Ticket Holder
        You mess up my night, and I'll mess up your day
        • Jul 2002

I don't believe in the tags. If the player doesn't want to play there, I wouldn't want to force somebody to stay. It would only create animosity within the orginaiztion.

BUFFALO BILLS AND MLB POOLS

http://www.billszone.com/YourSite/global/nfl/pool.php?action=home

Comment

• CalBillsFan
          • Jul 2002

This comment answers so many questions I had about Spikes actaully coming here. If the Lewis hiring would affect his decesion? Guess not. If the Bengals really were seriously thinking of tagging him? Guess so. If Takeo would come out and speak up against the tag? Guess so. If Takeo really does want out of Cincy? Yes, very badly actually. This article makes me so happy.

PA, I agree. A tag on Spikes in this situation would just breed animosity. The Bengals just have to suck it up and let him go.
          Originally posted by paladin warrior
          RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• venis2k1
            Youboty can hope
            • Jul 2002

This is some of the best news i have heard all week.

Comment

• venis2k1
              Youboty can hope
              • Jul 2002

Im sure he will be told that the new coach will bring in new life...Dedicated to Defense...blah blah blah...and he will end up staying.

Comment

• SoCalBillsFan
                Expert on Experts
                • Jul 2002

This is great. Now the organization has to think about whether they want to tag a player who doesnt want to be there. Exactly what we wanted.

Comment

• don137
                  • Jul 2002

The Bengals are in a no win situation. If they let him go it sends a message to the fans that even though they have a new coach they are still the Bengals that could care less about winning. If they do tag him then they just really pissed off Spikes.

Comment

• TypicalBill
                    • Sep 2002

unfortunately, whether he like's it or not, if they are willing to pay him the average of the top 5 LB's in the league, then they'll tag him for a year whether he like's it or not. Although i'd sure love to have him here.
                    For the latest Bills news, visit the front page www.billszone.com

Comment

• BigDoug
                      1-800-SAD-GOAT
                      • Jul 2002

If I were in his situation, my stance would be who gives a **** about Lewis? He's never coached me, I have no particular attachement to him AND if you tag my ass, then expect sub-par performance for the sub-par $ you're gonna pay me.
                      Show me the money!!!!!!!

I don't know why everyone thinks playing for Lewis is all that.

Comment

• don137
                        • Jul 2002

The Bengals could always do what the Eagles did to Jermaine Trotter which was tag him but realize having a pissed off Trotter on the team won't do much good for team chemistry so they drop the tag.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

"I just want to win. I just want to compete. That's my whole objective. I don't look at the time I spent in Cincinnati as wasted time. I just want to go somewhere to compete and win.''

Then the bills is the team for Spikes. We may not make the SB 4 consecutive times again , but we'll get there soon with or w/o him.
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• BillsNYC
                            Man of the People
                            • Jul 2002

THIS IS THE BEST NEWS I'VE HEARD ALL OFF SEASON!!!

this is making my day....donahoe....get out ralph's checkbook and give this guy whatever he wants!!! spikes would look good in red white and blue!

oh man...imagine him and fletcher running sideline to sideline!!! 2 tackling machines!!!!!
                            Thank you.

Comment

• Bulldog
                              Top Dog
                              • Jan 2003

I will bet anything that Cincy will still tag him. Sucks for both Buffalo and Spikes.
                              I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

Working...
                              X