X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Losman still has a long way to go

The biggest difference between Losman today and the Losman of 5 weeks ago is that he's truly letting the ball fly as soon as he finds the match-up to his liking. As a result he looks less stressful and more decisive. No balls to double covered guys and no throws way off mark.

However, he's far from a polished quality NFL QB yet. I rank the 3 areas (from easier fix to more difficult) for improvement as follows:

1) I still don't like many of his short range passes on his check down plays. He still let the ball sail a bit and the receivers had to jump to catch the ball, making it difficult to make RAC. His first option short passes are Ok, like the slants to Moulds.

2) Anticipation. On short passes, he tends to fire the ball when the receiver is in position instead of anticipating the receiver to get to the open spot. The INT is an example of not throwing the ball sooner, giving the defense an extra step to cut in front. On long passes, he's not getting the ball to the right side of the receivers. Both misses to Moulds would be completions or force the CB to commit hold had he thrown to the outside shoulder of Moulds. Even the completion to Evans was to the wrong side where Evans had to cut in to get the ball.

3) Reading defense quickly. I guess I might set the bar too high here because very few QBs can do this very well (or you are another Tom Brady). Some of the sacks he took is result of not reading the D correct, resulting having to scramble and get sacked.

The Chiefs and Chargers game are concrete evidence that Losman is improving from earlier games. Hopefully he's continuing on this line.
  • Billzz
    • Sep 2003

Re: Losman still has a long way to go

He will improve but ala Farve the touch pass will come over time.

Comment

• X-Era
      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh
      The biggest difference between Losman today and the Losman of 5 weeks ago is that he's truly letting the ball fly as soon as he finds the match-up to his liking. As a result he looks less stressful and more decisive. No balls to double covered guys and no throws way off mark.

However, he's far from a polished quality NFL QB yet. I rank the 3 areas (from easier fix to more difficult) for improvement as follows:

1) I still don't like many of his short range passes on his check down plays. He still let the ball sail a bit and the receivers had to jump to catch the ball, making it difficult to make RAC. His first option short passes are Ok, like the slants to Moulds.

2) Anticipation. On short passes, he tends to fire the ball when the receiver is in position instead of anticipating the receiver to get to the open spot. The INT is an example of not throwing the ball sooner, giving the defense an extra step to cut in front. On long passes, he's not getting the ball to the right side of the receivers. Both misses to Moulds would be completions or force the CB to commit hold had he thrown to the outside shoulder of Moulds. Even the completion to Evans was to the wrong side where Evans had to cut in to get the ball.

3) Reading defense quickly. I guess I might set the bar too high here because very few QBs can do this very well (or you are another Tom Brady). Some of the sacks he took is result of not reading the D correct, resulting having to scramble and get sacked.

The Chiefs and Chargers game are concrete evidence that Losman is improving from earlier games. Hopefully he's continuing on this line.
      I agree with all of what your saying but I dont agree as strongly as you about his sailing passes.

However, theres a few things that he does BETTER than your average young QB. Pocket presence is one. He had one play today where he rolled out just as a DE was about to sack him from behind. I think he does a great job of moving around, many young QB's dont. I also think he does a decent job of not throwing the ball in such a way as to make it an easy pick. He threw the ball right at that LB today, I think he didnt even see him. But overall, he seems to throw it SO hard that the D sometimes gets a hand on it but rarely intercepots it. I like that. To me it means he can throw into double coverage and get a chance to get a reception. If the LB's and DB's had good hands they would be TE's and WR's after all.

I think overall he looks much better than most young QB's, but he has a TON of room to grow still thats for sure.

Comment

• Billzz
        • Sep 2003

He also trusts his recievers alot more. He is willing to take a chance down the field even if the PERFECT oppurtunity does not present itself. I mean in reality he does protect the ball fairly well and instead of trying not to make mistakes now he is trying to make some plays.

We where down so fast so quick I am shocked he only tossed 1 pick. You know most QB's where the Defense knows you are going to pass are picked off alot more then once. He is atleast shown certain parts of his game are further along then we expected.

Comment

• X-Era
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Billzz
          He also trusts his recievers alot more. He is willing to take a chance down the field even if the PERFECT oppurtunity does not present itself. I mean in reality he does protect the ball fairly well and instead of trying not to make mistakes now he is trying to make some plays.

We where down so fast so quick I am shocked he only tossed 1 pick. You know most QB's where the Defense knows you are going to pass are picked off alot more then once. He is atleast shown certain parts of his game are further along then we expected.
          Ya know, I think he could go to stud level just by learning to throw away from coverage when pressured rather than taking sacks. He has a great arm with very good accuracy. Id rather see him take some shots when pressured but throw it in a place where only the receiver can get it even if its a bit out of reach.

Comment

• Billzz
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by jp-era
            Ya know, I think he could go to stud level just by learning to throw away from coverage when pressured rather than taking sacks. He has a great arm with very good accuracy. Id rather see him take some shots when pressured but throw it in a place where only the receiver can get it even if its a bit out of reach.

You mean throw the hot route from the side the blitz is coming from? I think he did ok considering the different looks, stunts and delayed blitzes he got. I definetly see your point about the touch pass or where only the reciever can get it.

Comment

• Meathead
              Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
              • Jul 2002

this game really hurt

i'm pretty sure jp will be really good one of these days

yet right now it really hurts to watch this team

at least i don't have the shame and disappointment of proclaiming him ready to win games on the road

then i'd feel really rediculous
              One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• X-Era
                • Feb 2005

You mean throw the hot route from the side the blitz is coming from? I think he did ok considering the different looks, stunts and delayed blitzes he got. I definetly see your point about the touch pass or where only the reciever can get it.
                Not sure I meant reading the blitz neccessarily. Although thats even better, Peter Brady (NE) makes a living out of it. I meant throwing the ball in a semi catchable but would require a long reach or big play when under pressure rather than a loss.

Comment

• X-Era
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Meathead
                  this game really hurt

i'm pretty sure jp will be really good one of these days

yet right now it really hurts to watch this team

at least i don't have the shame and disappointment of proclaiming him ready to win games on the road

then i'd feel really rediculous
                  I seriously thought we would win, how dumb am I? Please dont rush to answer.

But, I can stomach watching us lose if we have a sense of developing some young guys who just might get us there in the future. If we start Holcomb now, I have NO reason to even watch the damn games.

Comment

• Philagape
                    WIN NOW
                    • Jul 2002

This was his sixth game of action. One would think anyone would have a long way to go at that point.
                    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Billzz
                      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by jp-era
                      I seriously thought we would win, how dumb am I? Please dont rush to answer.

But, I can stomach watching us lose if we have a sense of developing some young guys who just might get us there in the future. If we start Holcomb now, I have NO reason to even watch the damn games.

It's called beaten wife syndrome. No matter how many times he smacks the living **** out of you, he always says he will change and you go back in for more. Don't worry there is a couple hundred thousand with the same problem.

Comment

• X-Era
                        • Feb 2005

It's called beaten wife syndrome. No matter how many times he smacks the living **** out of you, he always says he will change and you go back in for more. Don't worry there is a couple hundred thousand with the same problem.
                        So true, so true. Im saying mid Mar we know once and for all whether hes willing to go out of character and step WAY THE FUG UP, or if we are stuck with more of the same.

Im saying mid Mar assuming we should see who we cut, and the top FA's will be signed.

The draft is the draft and short of a major trade we get what we get.

Comment

• X-Era
                          • Feb 2005

How many times have we heard:

" We think highly of player ____ so were comfortable NOT signing an upgrade at X position"

" We think player ____ has been judged a bit too harshly, the fans and media dont get to see what we see".

Its the classic lines used by manipulators hell bent on maintaining mediocrity.

Comment

• X-Era
                            • Feb 2005

BTW, It isnt good enough to just say were going to the playoffs or bust in your State of the Bills address. I want to see him step up where the rubber hits the road and pay top dollar for the top FA's. Or make a seemingly uneven trade to get a bigtime player. Or let a fan favorite older vet like Moulds go because he wont take a big enough cut.

You want to be a winner, then win. Do it by your actions not your sugar coated excuses.

Comment

• Meathead
                              Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                              • Jul 2002

no reason not to play jp any more
                              One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

Working...
                              X