PDA

View Full Version : Losman still has a long way to go

ghz in pittsburgh
11-20-2005, 08:54 PM
The biggest difference between Losman today and the Losman of 5 weeks ago is that he's truly letting the ball fly as soon as he finds the match-up to his liking. As a result he looks less stressful and more decisive. No balls to double covered guys and no throws way off mark.

However, he's far from a polished quality NFL QB yet. I rank the 3 areas (from easier fix to more difficult) for improvement as follows:

1) I still don't like many of his short range passes on his check down plays. He still let the ball sail a bit and the receivers had to jump to catch the ball, making it difficult to make RAC. His first option short passes are Ok, like the slants to Moulds.

2) Anticipation. On short passes, he tends to fire the ball when the receiver is in position instead of anticipating the receiver to get to the open spot. The INT is an example of not throwing the ball sooner, giving the defense an extra step to cut in front. On long passes, he's not getting the ball to the right side of the receivers. Both misses to Moulds would be completions or force the CB to commit hold had he thrown to the outside shoulder of Moulds. Even the completion to Evans was to the wrong side where Evans had to cut in to get the ball.

3) Reading defense quickly. I guess I might set the bar too high here because very few QBs can do this very well (or you are another Tom Brady). Some of the sacks he took is result of not reading the D correct, resulting having to scramble and get sacked.

The Chiefs and Chargers game are concrete evidence that Losman is improving from earlier games. Hopefully he's continuing on this line.

Billzz
11-20-2005, 09:06 PM
He will improve but ala Farve the touch pass will come over time.

X-Era
11-20-2005, 09:08 PM
The biggest difference between Losman today and the Losman of 5 weeks ago is that he's truly letting the ball fly as soon as he finds the match-up to his liking. As a result he looks less stressful and more decisive. No balls to double covered guys and no throws way off mark.

However, he's far from a polished quality NFL QB yet. I rank the 3 areas (from easier fix to more difficult) for improvement as follows:

1) I still don't like many of his short range passes on his check down plays. He still let the ball sail a bit and the receivers had to jump to catch the ball, making it difficult to make RAC. His first option short passes are Ok, like the slants to Moulds.

2) Anticipation. On short passes, he tends to fire the ball when the receiver is in position instead of anticipating the receiver to get to the open spot. The INT is an example of not throwing the ball sooner, giving the defense an extra step to cut in front. On long passes, he's not getting the ball to the right side of the receivers. Both misses to Moulds would be completions or force the CB to commit hold had he thrown to the outside shoulder of Moulds. Even the completion to Evans was to the wrong side where Evans had to cut in to get the ball.

3) Reading defense quickly. I guess I might set the bar too high here because very few QBs can do this very well (or you are another Tom Brady). Some of the sacks he took is result of not reading the D correct, resulting having to scramble and get sacked.

The Chiefs and Chargers game are concrete evidence that Losman is improving from earlier games. Hopefully he's continuing on this line.

I agree with all of what your saying but I dont agree as strongly as you about his sailing passes.

However, theres a few things that he does BETTER than your average young QB. Pocket presence is one. He had one play today where he rolled out just as a DE was about to sack him from behind. I think he does a great job of moving around, many young QB's dont. I also think he does a decent job of not throwing the ball in such a way as to make it an easy pick. He threw the ball right at that LB today, I think he didnt even see him. But overall, he seems to throw it SO hard that the D sometimes gets a hand on it but rarely intercepots it. I like that. To me it means he can throw into double coverage and get a chance to get a reception. If the LB's and DB's had good hands they would be TE's and WR's after all.

I think overall he looks much better than most young QB's, but he has a TON of room to grow still thats for sure.

Billzz
11-20-2005, 09:13 PM
He also trusts his recievers alot more. He is willing to take a chance down the field even if the PERFECT oppurtunity does not present itself. I mean in reality he does protect the ball fairly well and instead of trying not to make mistakes now he is trying to make some plays.

We where down so fast so quick I am shocked he only tossed 1 pick. You know most QB's where the Defense knows you are going to pass are picked off alot more then once. He is atleast shown certain parts of his game are further along then we expected.

X-Era
11-20-2005, 09:18 PM
He also trusts his recievers alot more. He is willing to take a chance down the field even if the PERFECT oppurtunity does not present itself. I mean in reality he does protect the ball fairly well and instead of trying not to make mistakes now he is trying to make some plays.

We where down so fast so quick I am shocked he only tossed 1 pick. You know most QB's where the Defense knows you are going to pass are picked off alot more then once. He is atleast shown certain parts of his game are further along then we expected.

Ya know, I think he could go to stud level just by learning to throw away from coverage when pressured rather than taking sacks. He has a great arm with very good accuracy. Id rather see him take some shots when pressured but throw it in a place where only the receiver can get it even if its a bit out of reach.

Billzz
11-20-2005, 09:24 PM
Ya know, I think he could go to stud level just by learning to throw away from coverage when pressured rather than taking sacks. He has a great arm with very good accuracy. Id rather see him take some shots when pressured but throw it in a place where only the receiver can get it even if its a bit out of reach.

You mean throw the hot route from the side the blitz is coming from? I think he did ok considering the different looks, stunts and delayed blitzes he got. I definetly see your point about the touch pass or where only the reciever can get it.

Meathead
11-20-2005, 09:35 PM
this game really hurt

i'm pretty sure jp will be really good one of these days

yet right now it really hurts to watch this team

at least i don't have the shame and disappointment of proclaiming him ready to win games on the road

then i'd feel really rediculous

X-Era
11-20-2005, 09:36 PM
You mean throw the hot route from the side the blitz is coming from? I think he did ok considering the different looks, stunts and delayed blitzes he got. I definetly see your point about the touch pass or where only the reciever can get it.

Not sure I meant reading the blitz neccessarily. Although thats even better, Peter Brady (NE) makes a living out of it. I meant throwing the ball in a semi catchable but would require a long reach or big play when under pressure rather than a loss.

X-Era
11-20-2005, 09:37 PM
this game really hurt

i'm pretty sure jp will be really good one of these days

yet right now it really hurts to watch this team

at least i don't have the shame and disappointment of proclaiming him ready to win games on the road

then i'd feel really rediculous

I seriously thought we would win, how dumb am I? Please dont rush to answer.

But, I can stomach watching us lose if we have a sense of developing some young guys who just might get us there in the future. If we start Holcomb now, I have NO reason to even watch the damn games.

Philagape
11-20-2005, 09:47 PM
This was his sixth game of action. One would think anyone would have a long way to go at that point.

Billzz
11-20-2005, 09:50 PM
I seriously thought we would win, how dumb am I? Please dont rush to answer.

But, I can stomach watching us lose if we have a sense of developing some young guys who just might get us there in the future. If we start Holcomb now, I have NO reason to even watch the damn games.

It's called beaten wife syndrome. No matter how many times he smacks the living **** out of you, he always says he will change and you go back in for more. Don't worry there is a couple hundred thousand with the same problem.

X-Era
11-20-2005, 10:25 PM
It's called beaten wife syndrome. No matter how many times he smacks the living **** out of you, he always says he will change and you go back in for more. Don't worry there is a couple hundred thousand with the same problem.

So true, so true. Im saying mid Mar we know once and for all whether hes willing to go out of character and step WAY THE FUG UP, or if we are stuck with more of the same.

Im saying mid Mar assuming we should see who we cut, and the top FA's will be signed.

The draft is the draft and short of a major trade we get what we get.

X-Era
11-20-2005, 10:27 PM

How many times have we heard:

" We think highly of player ____ so were comfortable NOT signing an upgrade at X position"

" We think player ____ has been judged a bit too harshly, the fans and media dont get to see what we see".

Its the classic lines used by manipulators hell bent on maintaining mediocrity.

X-Era
11-20-2005, 10:31 PM

BTW, It isnt good enough to just say were going to the playoffs or bust in your State of the Bills address. I want to see him step up where the rubber hits the road and pay top dollar for the top FA's. Or make a seemingly uneven trade to get a bigtime player. Or let a fan favorite older vet like Moulds go because he wont take a big enough cut.

You want to be a winner, then win. Do it by your actions not your sugar coated excuses.

Meathead
11-20-2005, 10:42 PM
no reason not to play jp any more

bills_7
11-20-2005, 10:59 PM
I really like Losman.. he will be good for us, as for the rest of the team big problems... we have to start with the O line... we need a miracle to be good for next year.. and Losman is not one of our problems... i actully feel bad for the guy he has to play on such a crap team that TD has put together.. and be under a OC for a coach.. wilson needs to step in and make some big changes

X-Era
11-20-2005, 11:09 PM
I really like Losman.. he will be good for us, as for the rest of the team big problems... we have to start with the O line... we need a miracle to be good for next year.. and Losman is not one of our problems... i actully feel bad for the guy he has to play on such a crap team that TD has put together.. and be under a OC for a coach.. wilson needs to step in and make some big changes

I dont mind that he has to play for such a bad team. I hate that the vet ego's of some overrated players is hurting him as a future leader and our young QB.

Thats what ticks me off. If you dont think Moulds would have trashed talked Pyeton in year one after the Colts stinking so bad for so many years, you are sadly mistaken.

McGahee doesnt worry me. He wants to win and will play big once some of the quiet cancers leave and with an vastly improved o-line. McGahee will stand behind JP if he proves himself on the field.

bills_7
11-20-2005, 11:14 PM
I dont mind that he has to play for such a bad team. I hate that the vet ego's of some overrated players is hurting him as a future leader and our young QB.

Thats what ticks me off. If you dont think Moulds would have trashed talked Pyeton in year one after the Colts stinking so bad for so many years, you are sadly mistaken.

McGahee doesnt worry me. He wants to win and will play big once some of the quiet cancers leave and with an vastly improved o-line. McGahee will stand behind JP if he proves himself on the field.

agreed we have some players with major attitudes that dont back it up on the field... we dont knw everything that goes on so we can only spaculate... but is seems like moulds is gna have to go... and man i feel be for Reed but he sucks... he does alot of things right he jst cant catch the ball... which is too bad

ScottLawrence
11-20-2005, 11:25 PM
Way to early to tell on him, but he had definitly made progress from weeks 2-5.

His accuracy is notably much better.

Tinboy
11-21-2005, 01:07 AM
I like Losman and pray that we keep him as our QB for the rest of the season. He looks much better now and needs to be out there so we have a good QB next year,

BillsFever21
11-21-2005, 07:57 AM
JP did the best he could with the way this game turned. A lot of QB's would've had multiple TO's in this situation.

How are some blaming JP for not "winning" this game? San Diego only punted once. We didn't have a chance in this game.

He has shown a lot of improvement. Some of the vets probably are pissed because they have some young kid getting in their face because they're not producing. Some people don't like taking orders from guys younger then them. I deal with it at work. Shut up and do your job.

I bet Holcomb would've won this game though. He would've matched them touchdown for touchdown and scored over 50 points?

Meathead
11-21-2005, 08:15 AM
:lolpoint: bf21

HHURRICANE
11-21-2005, 08:29 AM

I was thinking the same way watching this game yesterday. I actually felt bad for Losman. This kid is not the problem. PERIOD.

HHURRICANE
11-21-2005, 08:32 AM
JP did the best he could with the way this game turned. A lot of QB's would've had multiple TO's in this situation.

How are some blaming JP for not "winning" this game? San Diego only punted once. We didn't have a chance in this game.

He has shown a lot of improvement. Some of the vets probably are pissed because they have some young kid getting in their face because they're not producing. Some people don't like taking orders from guys younger then them. I deal with it at work. Shut up and do your job.

I bet Holcomb would've won this game though. He would've matched them touchdown for touchdown and scored over 50 points?

I totally agree. After McGahee fumbled he was over on the sideline talking and laughing with Holcomb and showing him what happened. Why wouldn't you be talking to JP and figuring out what happened?! I think JP is not very popular because he is a winner. I feel very bad for this kid!!

TigerJ
11-21-2005, 08:54 AM
JP will look much better if he ever starts to get decent line play.

Philagape
11-21-2005, 09:05 AM

Yeah, I thought Holcomb was the "correct" choice. :rolleyes: