PDA

View Full Version : Any of this sound familiar?

RedEyE
11-22-2005, 10:40 AM
Fact: Historically, Cowher's teams have overachieved, and I'll tell you one thing about Bill Cowher that is irrefutable: Give him a little bit of talent and he WILL win football games. In the span of 2 short years, the Steelers have gone from being one of the most talented, winningest teams in the league to a veritable laughing stock. Why? I've said it before, I'll say it again: An avalanche of free agent losses & draft blunders. The blame for Pittsburgh's downfall, folks, lays squarely on the shoulders of Tommy "Two-Face" Donahoe, not Bill Cowher, who remains one....... of the

http://www.mcmillenandwife.com/donahoe.html

Name one correct move we've made in free agency over the last several years, folks. The evidence is clear: An avalanche of free agent losses & blunders. Kordell Stewart's contract extension. Jamain Stephens as a 1st rounder. 7-9 and 6-10 records. Driving Rod Woodson away. Almost driving Bill Cowher away. I've gotta tell 'ya, I've never forgiven Donahoe for what happened with Woodson... Rod was my man. Cowher is still my man. I tend to refrain from slamming any Steeler, regardless of my opinion... while they're with the team, that is (can you say, "Kneel O'Dummell?"). Now that Donahoe has departed, the gloves are off. Good riddance. I dub thee "Tommy Two-Face." Short term, this creates more problems for the Steelers... long term, it'll get 'em back where they need to be.

Donahoe's success in the early and mid-1990's is unquestionable. His first three draft picks (Searcy, Kirkland, and Steed), and his ability to replace departed free agents such as Jerol Williams (remember him anyone?) with Kevin Greene, Merril Hoge with John L. Williams and Tom Newberry with Will Wolford offer ample evidence.

But since the Super Bowl what did he do?

Not much.

OK, he did bring in Cortney Hawkins to replace Andre Hastings, but finding a good number three receiver isn't the same has bringing in a Kevin Greene.

But let's look at the rest of his record.

He brought in Jermain Stephens to replace Leon Searcy. Jahine Arnold to replace Ernie Mills. Will Blackwell to replace Yancy Thigpen. Paul Wiggins to shore up the 0-Line, and I'll speculate that Wiggins was to eventually replace Wolford.

All of these players have turned out to be unbelievable BUSTS. Steven Conely certainly showed that he didn't deserve to be a third round pick.

And while the jury's still out, lets look at some of Tommy D's other recent prime picks.

Jeremy Staat's still got a chance to live up to potential, but so far, he's disappointed. Ditto with Chris Conrad, who recently was demoted from guard to tackle.

As I mentioned before, early on Donahue was able to find mid-priced free agents to replace departed veterans. Likewise, that is a trend that stopped recently.

Travis Davis to replace Carnell Lake? PLEASE! Anthony Brown to help fill the void left by the departure of Will Wolford and John Jackson? I don't think so. And Wayne Gandy -- You've got to be kidding me. I don't care what Steelers Digest says, the guy SUCKED last year.

Free agency in general is something else that bears looking at. Steelers fans need to accept that Dan Rooney is NEVER going to spend money like Daniel Snyder, Jerry Jones or Eddie DeBartlo. This just isn't going to happen. However, the style, if not the substance, of the Steelers decisions in free agency under Donahue's tenure is at issue.

ches in the league.

Devin
11-22-2005, 10:45 AM
hauntingly familiar.

I want to cry.

billsburgh
11-22-2005, 10:46 AM
this goes well with the thread about the 2002 draft class.

Kerr
11-22-2005, 11:04 AM
Ron Wolfe.

Drive 4 Five
11-22-2005, 11:29 AM
Until this year, I have always supported Tom Donahoe and foolishly wondered why so many fans hated him. No more. This man has singlehandedly dismantled what was once a proud and mighty football team.

Is there anyone out there who still believes that Tom Donahoe is good for the future of our beloved Bills? Anyone? I may have been the last one but I could be wrong.

In fact, if someone will donate the ZB's to do it, I will change my user name to Faith No More until Donahoe is long gone because that is how I truly feel about the current state of this team and it's future.

My heart is broken. All I can do now is pray that "The Outsider" will make good on his threats and "regulate" as he so kindly put it.

Bill Brasky
11-22-2005, 11:33 AM
alls i know is that if this douchebag is not fired during or after the season i won't be renewing my seasons... the ticket office has already called me twice asking about if i would renew and what not.

i am one pissed off bills fan. i don't think i've ever been this embarassed of this team in my life, super bowl 27 was even less embarassing.

BAM
11-22-2005, 11:37 AM
i don't think i've ever been this embarassed of this team in my life,

I was. 3-13.

Bill Brasky
11-22-2005, 11:39 AM
yeah, except that team was expected to suck. this current team wasn't. i thought they'd go 9-7, maybe show some fight and pull off a few games but struggle at times... right now they're on route to an embarassing 6-10 if they're lucky and they've shown no balls at all. it's disgusting.

BAM
11-22-2005, 11:41 AM
true

billsburgh
11-22-2005, 12:39 PM
I was. 3-13.
there was a big difference in the talent level between that team and the current one.