PDA

View Full Version : Let's play out this hypothetical situation

Jeff1220
11-22-2005, 01:47 PM
Lets say KC manages to beat New England this week and Buffalo finds some way to beat Carolina, putting the Bills within a game of New England. Do you regain some belief that this season can be saved?

Here's the two teams remaining schedules after this week. In this fantasy, Buffalo would be 5-6 and NE would be 6-5.

Buffalo:
@Miami
vs. NE
vs. Denver
@Cincy
@NYJ

NE:
vs. NYJ
@Buffalo
vs. TB
@ NYJ
vs. Miami

ScottLawrence
11-22-2005, 01:57 PM
None of the choices.

I would still be pessimistic about the team, the offensive, and defensive lines will still suck, and we still won't be going anywhere this year.

OpIv37
11-22-2005, 02:03 PM
NE has 2 guaranteed wins against the Jets and a better than average chance in the other games. We will definitely lose to Denver and Cincy, and I'm not even sure about Miami and NY since they are road games.

OpIv37
11-22-2005, 02:03 PM
I don't think we'll lose the rest of our games, but I can't say I'll be surprised if we don't win until September.

da6poweredef
11-22-2005, 02:20 PM
Buffalo:

@Miami
WIN
vs. NE
LOSS (can we finish this time?)
vs. Denver
LOSS (Brees lit us up- Plummer will be a headache)
@Cincy
LOSS (once again, great pass offense)
@NYJ
WIN

So best case we get back to 6-6, but finish 7-9

NE:

vs. NYJ
WIN
@Buffalo
WIN
vs. TB
LOSS (Simms is a question mark, Cadillac is back!)
@ NYJ
WIN
vs. Miami
WIN

And after all of the struggles and the "end of a dynasty", the weakened Patriots finish 10-6 and walk away with the division.

This is frustrating. I hope it doesn't play out like this....

Jan Reimers
11-22-2005, 02:47 PM
Sure, I get a little optimistic after each home win, then a little suicidal after each road drubbing. It's a very difficult way to live.

But what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and 46 years of being a Bills' fan have toughened me up considerably.

doomsdayvirus
11-22-2005, 02:53 PM
hypthetical best case (aka. dream world) scenario. week by week:

~~~ REGULAR SEASON ~~~

WEEK 11:
Bills (4-6)
Pats (6-4)

WEEK 12:
carolina nearly freezes to death in buffalo as a nasty storm blows in off of lake erie at game time. new england fouls up in arrowhead as the chiefs new found threat larry johnson runs up and down the field all day.

Bills (5-6)
Pats (6-5)

WEEK 13:
buffalo rolls into miami with an offense that's finally starting to click. losman gets rushed alot as the o-line still leaks like a sieve, but outruns the rush every time. the bills prevail, but it's no use as the pats roll right over the jets in foxboro.

Bills (6-6)
Pats (7-5)

WEEK 14:
it's head to head now. new england's used to the cold and the snow, but they just won a game, and barely pulled off a victory in foxboro on sunday night football last time the two teams met. the bills edge the pats out and pull even with the stunned pats for a 1st place tie.

Bills (7-6)
Pats (7-6)

WEEK 15:
the bills win. i don't know how. but they don't lose games that i go to. they just don't. new england falls to tampa down in florida.

Bills (8-6)
Pats (7-7)

WEEK 16:
the bengals prove to be too much for the bills to handle at home fighting for a wildcard spot. new england pummels the jets for the 2nd time in 4 weeks.

Bills (8-7)
Pats (8-7)

WEEK 17:
the bills provide the final nail in the jets coffin, while new england finishes off
the dolphins in foxboro.

Bills (8-8)
Pats (8-8)

~~~ TIEBREAKER TIME!!! ~~~

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION
If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.
Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
Bills (1-1) = Pats (1-1)

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Bills (5-1) = Pats (5-1)

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Bills (7-5) > Pats (6-6)

BILLS | PATS
--- -----------------
NYJ 2-0 | 2-0
MIA 2-0 | 2-0
TMP 0-1 | 0-1*
ATL 0-1 | 1-0
NO 0-1 | 1-0
OAK 0-1 | 1-0
KC 1-0 | 0-1*
SD 0-1 | 0-1
CAR 1-0* | 0-1
DEN 1-0* | 0-1
--- -----------------
7-5 6-6

*(hypothetically speaking of course, based on scenario hallucinated above)

BILLS WIN THE DIVISION!!!

4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in common games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.

~~~ PLAYOFFS ~~~
The Bills lose to Pittsburgh in the first round.

~~~ 2006 NFL DRAFT ~~~
The Bills pick up a bunch of wide receivers and a running back.

~~~ 2006 REGULAR SEASON & BEYOND ~~~
Repeat 2005 season, ad nauseam...

Cntrygal
11-22-2005, 06:42 PM
In this scenerio, have all game locations (to include playoff and SB) been changed to RWS?

Devin
11-22-2005, 07:01 PM
I dont for the following reason:

This team has no heart, in fact im having a hard time believing they even want the playoffs.

They have no chemistry and during the SD game they didnt even look in shape.

This years team is a disgrace and I only pray this will be resolved in the offseason.

BillsFever21
11-23-2005, 08:41 AM
There isn't any chance in hell. They went into that game on Sunday vs. the Chargers expecting to lose and it showed on the field. This team has given up on Mike Mularkey.

TD and MM must go at the end of the season. There is no other choice. I could handle keeping TD IF he hired a real coach who can take us somewhere and not some "yes" man.

He has made some good moves but his coaching decisions have hurt this team. If he is unwilling to hire a strong minded coach then he must also go.

justasportsfan
11-23-2005, 10:28 AM
Never give up IMO. We play to win. Always. Regardless whether it's JP or KH.

Jeff1220
11-23-2005, 10:46 AM
Never give up IMO. We play to win. Always. Regardless whether it's JP or KH.

That's great that you think that way, but do you really believe the team does at this time.

justasportsfan
11-23-2005, 10:51 AM
That's great that you think that way, but do you really believe the team does at this time.you brought up the hypothetical question and if hypothetically we're still in it, we go for it.

Do I think we have a shot? Chances are we don't but I don't think we should give up anyways. I'd hate for my team to be called the Buffalo Frenchies.

Problem is, before the season started, the D talked about unfinished business. Turns out they haven't finished continuing to suck after Pitts game. Now they are definitely finishing that unfinished business.

BillsFever21
11-23-2005, 10:56 AM
Every team plays to try and win the game. Some just can't do it.

Jeff1220
11-23-2005, 11:01 AM
Problem is, before the season started, the D talked about unfinished business. Turns out they haven't finished continuing to suck after Pitts game.

:lmao:

Bill Brasky
11-23-2005, 11:31 AM
Buffalo finds some way to beat Carolina

:rofl:

Mitchy moo
11-23-2005, 11:42 AM
I really think the Bills Still have a chance. I cannot see a big problem w/ KC playing well at home against the Pats and us playing well and home. Miami just is not that good a team right now and we can win that game. NE come is fearing for their lives knowing being in a tie with us would give us control of our own destiny.

BAM
11-23-2005, 11:44 AM
I never give up hope.

Mitchy moo
11-23-2005, 11:47 AM
hypthetical best case (aka. dream world) scenario. week by week:

~~~ REGULAR SEASON ~~~

WEEK 11:
Bills (4-6)
Pats (6-4)

WEEK 12:
carolina nearly freezes to death in buffalo as a nasty storm blows in off of lake erie at game time. new england fouls up in arrowhead as the chiefs new found threat larry johnson runs up and down the field all day.

Bills (5-6)
Pats (6-5)

WEEK 13:
buffalo rolls into miami with an offense that's finally starting to click. losman gets rushed alot as the o-line still leaks like a sieve, but outruns the rush every time. the bills prevail, but it's no use as the pats roll right over the jets in foxboro.

Bills (6-6)
Pats (7-5)

WEEK 14:
it's head to head now. new england's used to the cold and the snow, but they just won a game, and barely pulled off a victory in foxboro on sunday night football last time the two teams met. the bills edge the pats out and pull even with the stunned pats for a 1st place tie.

Bills (7-6)
Pats (7-6)

WEEK 15:
the bills win. i don't know how. but they don't lose games that i go to. they just don't. new england falls to tampa down in florida.

Bills (8-6)
Pats (7-7)

WEEK 16:
the bengals prove to be too much for the bills to handle at home fighting for a wildcard spot. new england pummels the jets for the 2nd time in 4 weeks.

Bills (8-7)
Pats (8-7)

WEEK 17:
the bills provide the final nail in the jets coffin, while new england finishes off
the dolphins in foxboro.

Bills (8-8)
Pats (8-8)

~~~ TIEBREAKER TIME!!! ~~~

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION
If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.
Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
Bills (1-1) = Pats (1-1)

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Bills (5-1) = Pats (5-1)

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Bills (7-5) > Pats (6-6)

BILLS | PATS
--- -----------------
NYJ 2-0 | 2-0
MIA 2-0 | 2-0
TMP 0-1 | 0-1*
ATL 0-1 | 1-0
NO 0-1 | 1-0
OAK 0-1 | 1-0
KC 1-0 | 0-1*
SD 0-1 | 0-1
CAR 1-0* | 0-1
DEN 1-0* | 0-1
--- -----------------
7-5 6-6

*(hypothetically speaking of course, based on scenario hallucinated above)

BILLS WIN THE DIVISION!!!

4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in common games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.

~~~ PLAYOFFS ~~~
The Bills lose to Pittsburgh in the first round.

~~~ 2006 NFL DRAFT ~~~
The Bills pick up a bunch of wide receivers and a running back.

~~~ 2006 REGULAR SEASON & BEYOND ~~~
Repeat 2005 season, ad nauseam...

Pittsburgh didn't look to hot last time I seen them play. Big Ben is a hurtin'

doomsdayvirus
11-23-2005, 11:56 AM
Pittsburgh didn't look to hot last time I seen them play. Big Ben is a hurtin'

so we'll only lose by 20 points instead of 40?

remember how well we did against their 4th string last year?

even if we can pull that miracle off (after pulling off the first miracle of actually making the playoffs) there's no way we're getting by indy or denver for the afc championship.

at this point this entire discussion is so hypothetical and fantastical that they couldn't even make a disney movie out of it...

Jan Reimers
11-23-2005, 12:29 PM
I believe most of us, deep down, still have hope.

It's just difficult to maintain a real positive attitude when the team seems to lack heart, chemistry and character; when the coach is weak and indecisive; when we haven't even gotten a sniff of a road win; when the vaunted defense has been getting scorched against the run, and now seems to be failing against the pass; when our loud mouth running back has been held to under 100 yards in 6 of 10 games; and when we don't know who the QB will be from week to week.

I have hope, but it's the kind of hope you have when someone is terminal, but you hope for a miracle.

Typ0
11-23-2005, 12:41 PM
One has to keep hope...but it doesn't matter to me if we find some luck and make the playoffs. This team stinks and any success is just going to maintain their mediocrity longer into the future. It amazes me how the fans get off on their pride of being a bills fan...like that is some sort of accomplishment when your team is a total joke and you are going to hang in there anyway...yet the players themselves have no respect for the franchise whatsoever.