PDA

View Full Version : Keep Moulds or get rid of him?

BillsFever21
11-23-2005, 09:52 AM
I don't think he is worth the money anymore. His YPC has went down every single year since he became the starter. It's putrid this year with only 9.1 yard a reception.

He also has never put 1,000 yard season together in a row. One year he has a thousand the next year he's under. He is also not a playmaker. He has only one season with double digit TD's. He only has 9 TD's the last 3 years.

1998- 20.4 YPC
1999- 15.3 YPC
2000- 14.1 YPC
2001- 13.5 YPC
2002- 12.9 YPC
2003- 12.2 YPC
2004- 11.9 YPC
2005- 9.1 YPC

It's time to end our ties with him. His attitude has gotten bad while his production keeps going down. No way we pay him 10 million next season.

bigbub2352
11-23-2005, 10:07 AM
i am fan of moulds and i think he was the victim of 500 offensive cordinators and some real bad QB's but i do think it is time to part ways with him or for him to entirley re-do his deal he is not producing like an elite receiver or a top 5 receiver and we r paying him to be, draft or sign someone else that makes less and go with evans and roscoe cant do any worse then josh reed, sam aiken, and george wilson

OpIv37
11-23-2005, 10:09 AM
Just get rid of him.

I hate to say it cuz he's given a lot to this organization and put up with a ton of garbage from the front office. But aside from the fact that he isn't producing anymore, he has become a locker room distration and he's not supporting JP. I was hoping he could retire a Bill, now I don't care. Let him go suck for Miami for a couple years like Thurman did.

RedEyE
11-23-2005, 10:28 AM
I'm impartial. We can't afford to cut Moulds and Reed. Of the two, I'd prefer to let Reed get the axe. Moulds hasn't been very effective lately but neither has the rest of the offense. His mouth concerns me more than anything else, but he's a mild case compared to others around the league.

justasportsfan
11-23-2005, 10:31 AM
i am fan of moulds and i think he was the victim of 500 offensive cordinators and some real bad QB's but i do think it is time to part ways with him or for him to entirley re-do his deal he is not producing like an elite receiver or a top 5 receiver and we r paying him to be, draft or sign someone else that makes less and go with evans and roscoe cant do any worse then josh reed, sam aiken, and george wilson:up: If he is willing to rstructure, we keep him. If not he goes.

Bill Brasky
11-23-2005, 10:33 AM
I feel bad for this guy. He's been the best player we've had during some of the worst years in this franchise's history... he's never had a good QB to play with yet put up some solid numbers.

If he was on a good team he'd have had a hall of fame career.... he was my favorite player forever, but he totally lost it this season. I don't think you can blame him though.

You can only tolerate so many losing seasons before you just go ballistic.

justasportsfan
11-23-2005, 10:34 AM
His mouth concerns me more than anything else, but he's a mild case compared to others around the league.No concerns at all. He's just as frustrated as everyone of us. All he did was air out what the players feel. Can't fault him for that. He's the longest bill player on the team, if there was anyone who should say anything, Moulds would be the guy. I'd rather he said they want to win than I give up.

BillsFever21
11-23-2005, 10:35 AM
I'm impartial. We can't afford to cut Moulds and Reed. Of the two, I'd prefer to let Reed get the axe. Moulds hasn't been very effective lately but neither has the rest of the offense. His mouth concerns me more than anything else, but he's a mild case compared to others around the league.

What has Moulds done to keep him and pay him that money. He hasn't done anything to help us win.

His money could be used in better places. If he's not making any big plays to help us win games then why pay him the money? Anybody could get 9.1 YPC for far less money.

I haven't seen him break some tackles and make a great play all season. His contract and production doesn't make up for his mouth anymore. He has been a cancer this season.

justasportsfan
11-23-2005, 10:38 AM
What has Moulds done to keep him and pay him that money. He hasn't done anything to help us win.

His money could be used in better places. If he's not making any big plays to help us win games then why pay him the money? Anybody could get 9.1 YPC for far less money. not when you have a rookie qb and an OL that can't protect it's qb. It's easy to blame 1 guy.

I haven't seen him break some tackles and make a great play all season. His contract and production doesn't make up for his mouth anymore. He has been a cancer this season. You haven't been watching the games then. A cancer in your opinion. Not mine. I do agree about his salary though.

Bill Brasky
11-23-2005, 10:40 AM

His money could be used in better places. If he's not making any big plays to help us win games then why pay him the money? Anybody could get 9.1 YPC for far less money.

I haven't seen him break some tackles and make a great play all season. His contract and production doesn't make up for his mouth anymore. He has been a cancer this season.

Didn't he restructer his deal at least once already to help save some cap room a few years ago?

I think it's sort of ridiculous to ask your franchise player to keep restructering, considering how much he's done for us in some pretty ****ty years. I'd let him go and let him test the market, or at least trade him to a team that would make good use of him and give him a shot at a ring... I think he deserves that much after all the **** he's dealt with here.

RedEyE
11-23-2005, 10:53 AM
If you let him go and Reed, who lines up opposite of Evans? Parrish? He hasn't proven anything yet. He could end up being another Reed.

If you use your draft to pull in a WR you then short change yourself in other necessary areas like OL and DL. Let's say we do draft a WR, it takes (on average) 3 years for a WR to get up to speed in the NFL. So the Bills will then have Evans, Parrish and New Guy all with 3 years or less in position. Not my idea of helping the team.

So then you look to the FA market. More than likely you'll find deadbeats and others in a similar situation that Moulds is finding himself in. And if Mularkey and Co. are still in Buffalo, what veteran FA WR in his right mind is going to even want to come to Buffalo?

BillsFever21
11-23-2005, 10:54 AM
Didn't he restructer his deal at least once already to help save some cap room a few years ago?

I think it's sort of ridiculous to ask your franchise player to keep restructering, considering how much he's done for us in some pretty ****ty years. I'd let him go and let him test the market, or at least trade him to a team that would make good use of him and give him a shot at a ring... I think he deserves that much after all the **** he's dealt with here.

When a player restructures his deal that isn't anything big. It happens all the time. They don't lose any money. If anything it helps them out.

All they do is get turn some of their salary into bonus money and spread it out over the rest of the contract. He didn't lose any money at all. Unless a player takes a paycut they're not going out of their way.

lordofgun
11-23-2005, 11:01 AM
Just get rid of him.

I hate to say it cuz he's given a lot to this organization and put up with a ton of garbage from the front office. But aside from the fact that he isn't producing anymore, he has become a locker room distration and he's not supporting JP. I was hoping he could retire a Bill, now I don't care. Let him go suck for Miami for a couple years like Thurman did.
:goodpost:

Novacane
11-23-2005, 11:18 AM
good ridence

Kerr
11-23-2005, 01:00 PM
Let him walk the plank.
I understand he's frustrated, but there's no reason to take it out on the new guy. Never in a millions years did I ever think it would come to this with Moulds. I thought he would retire as a bill. He's wearing out his welcome.

Jan Reimers
11-23-2005, 01:25 PM
:up: If he is willing to rstructure, we keep him. If not he goes.
Bingo. He is a veteran, a leader, and still a seviceable receiver. But he is no longer worth mega millions.

finsrclowns
11-23-2005, 01:37 PM
I thought Moulds just restructured last year? We might as well keep him. Why?

1) We'll take a cap hit if we release him >= what we save in payroll.
2) Overpaying for a Reggie Wayne or using a high draft pick on a team that needs OL and DL help desperately makes no sense.
3) His drop in YPC this year is because JP couldn't hit the broad side of a barn early on and KH is mostly dink and dunk.
4) Dissing him because he wanted to try to win is just stupid. And clearly JP benefitted from sitting for a few games.
5) He's been loyal to the Bills, why not be loyal to him?
6) If TD or whoever is running this team next April is smart, they'll find a WR with potential in the later rounds of the draft, ie David Givens.
7) Using high picks on WR's isn't any guarantee- look at Detroit with 3 top 10 picks and their offense still sucks.

justasportsfan
11-23-2005, 01:50 PM
2) Overpaying for a Reggie Wayne or using a high draft pick on a team that needs OL and DL help desperately makes no sense.
3) His drop in YPC this year is because JP couldn't hit the broad side of a barn early on and KH is mostly dink and dunk.
4) Dissing him because he wanted to try to win is just stupid. And clearly JP benefitted from sitting for a few games.
6) If TD or whoever is running this team next April is smart, they'll find a WR with potential in the later rounds of the draft, ie David Givens.
7) Using high picks on WR's isn't any guarantee- look at Detroit with 3 top 10 picks and their offense still sucks.

People are hating on him because he said he wanted the best players in there to help them win. They interpret that as being a cancer or not supporting JP. I guess Moulds should be gone because he wanted the team to win.

finsrclowns
11-23-2005, 02:09 PM
People are hating on him because he said he wanted the best players in there to help them win. They interpret that as being a cancer or not supporting JP. I guess Moulds should be gone because he wanted the team to win.

True. It appears stating the obvious is a crime around here. And why hold a grudge? Even JP would have to admit sitting was a good thing for him. If it wasn't, why is he looking a lot better now?:coocoo:

Novacane
11-23-2005, 02:16 PM

I'm hatting on him because he has not done squat for 3 years. He's not even a top 25 reciever anymore

finsrclowns
11-23-2005, 02:23 PM
I'm hatting on him because he has not done squat for 3 years. He's not even a top 25 reciever anymore

He is overpaid and he's not what he was, he's maybe top 30. But until a) a suitable and affordable replacement is found and b) It's to our advantage financially to cut him, I say keep him.

BillsFever21
11-23-2005, 02:48 PM

His YPC has went down every year. You can't blame that on just JP and KH this season.

He only averaged 11 YPC with Bledsoe which is also low. Every year it goes down.

Drive 4 Five
11-23-2005, 03:23 PM
Yeah and I bet he doesn't look so old and washed up when he goes to play for a better team.

Instead of knocking him, we should be hoping that he will even want to play for this team again in the first place.

We go on and on about how there is such a huge lack of talent here but we want to can our franchise WR? He owns just about every damn receiving record here.

I agree with those who say he has not exactly fair to criticise him so much with all the turnover and instability here, the poor line play the poor coaching and the QB carrousel he has had to endure.

SIGN E.MOULDS

finsrclowns
11-23-2005, 04:32 PM
His YPC has went down every year. You can't blame that on just JP and KH this season.

He only averaged 11 YPC with Bledsoe which is also low. Every year it goes down.

He's getting older. He's lost a step. 12 YPC is ok in a run first offense. He's a possesion receiver now. If JP improves he'll be ok. Not great but ok. The big drop in YPC is this year and that's mostly QB related.

paladin warrior
11-23-2005, 07:48 PM
NO It time to Go.:bigwave:

OpIv37
11-23-2005, 07:55 PM

I'll have to check with Clump on this, but I think you have this wrong. The way I understood it is if Moulds is on the team at the start of next season, he's due a huge roster bonus that counts against the cap- something in the 8 million range. If he's not on the roster, the Bills save the money and the cap space.

justasportsfan
11-24-2005, 06:35 AM

because he had to run 5-10 yds deep for Drew to get rid of the ball quickly. With DF at qb he was our only deep threat. When Price got better Moulds could either go deep or mid range. He is made to run shorter routes since no one on the team is better than he is up the middle which realeased players like Price and Evans to go deep. His nos. are based on who's throwing th ball. Under TD, there's never been a decent passing game. Even during Drew's first year, Drew played well for 1/2 of the season. and yet Moulds had over 1,000 yards.

If he hasn't done squat lately , it's because we haven't had a qb lately. I have no doubt in my mind, he'd be a probowler all these years if he were w/ a team like the colts .

The guy resigned w/ the team for less $ he could've gotten w/ another team , restructured and played through a groin injury when most players would've rested that injury. He's been a great player for the bills. You guys are hating on the wrong player. the guy cared for the team all these years . He took in young players and became their mentor during the off season and now he's a cancer?

If there's anyone to blame, blame TD. He's played musical chairs w/ the QB position since Kelly left. Even you guys keep saying we haven't had stability at the qb and OL position since he's been here. He's plugged in cheap OL players and drafted a bust.

jmb1099
11-24-2005, 07:08 AM
Man this is actually a harder decision than it would first seem. After reading through the thread I gotta tell you some pretty strong points were made on both sides. The question I have is does he in fact have the option next year to shop around?If so than my question for those who want to keep him is do we respect him as a player who has some more football in him or as a person? If as a player than we need to keep him here, but if as a person who has been loyal to the city and the fans than we may need to let him go and enjoy a real winning season somewhere because perhaps he deserves that.
For those of you who want to let him go you may need to ask the question do we lose reed and moulds? Do we keep one and send the other away? Or do both need to go? Reed has had every chance in the world given to him and has not shown he is worth the investment.
But since this is football and since it is hard for me to feel sorry for people making as much money as these people do it ultimatly has to come done to asking this question:what is best for the team? Well for starters we need money to buy lineman with so restructure his contract. His numbers may be declining but with a decent line and a strong armed qb he has some life left. However, all of this is contingent upon weather or not he proves to be a team player the rest of the season. Of anyone on the team, we need moulds to step up and endorse and work with jp, if he is unwilling to do this then he needs to be let go.

finsrclowns
11-24-2005, 10:52 AM
I'll have to check with Clump on this, but I think you have this wrong. The way I understood it is if Moulds is on the team at the start of next season, he's due a huge roster bonus that counts against the cap- something in the 8 million range. If he's not on the roster, the Bills save the money and the cap space.

Not exactly but I was wrong. Very wrong. We save 5 large by cutting Moulds before March. 5m. 5. That's a lot of money for Moulds. In fact it's a no brainer. Goodbye Eric. Thanks for the memories.

fushetti
11-24-2005, 02:08 PM
Blow this team up and start over... Theres nobody I really care to see play long term on this team. Obviously, keep the young guys (willis, JP) but get rid of the overpriced aged talent. All of them. Moulds, Milloy, Adams, Vincent, etc..

I'd rather watch a young hungry team that is fun to watch than the current Bills. If youre gonna lose, lose cheap.

Marvelous
11-24-2005, 02:38 PM
blasphemy!