PDA

View Full Version : A deeper look into the U (Miami)

The King
11-25-2005, 09:41 AM
A lot of people having been talking about the attitude problems notorious with players from the University of Miami. I decided to do a little research, below is a list of all players drafted in the top 3 rounds from Miami. You decide are a few bad apples giving the University a bad name or is Miami as bad as we all say it is.

I have highlighted the trouble players in red. (Some kind of suspension or arrest)

1. Bubba Franks TE Green Bay
2. Michael Boireau DE Minnesota
3. Nate Webster MLB Tampa Bay Battery Charge

1. Dan Morgan MLB Carolina
1a. Damione Lewis DT St. Louis
1b. Santana Moss WR New York Jets Battery Charge in College
1c. Reggie Wayne WR Indianapolis
3. James Jackson RB Cleveland

1. Bryant Mckinnie T Minnesota Disorderly Conduct
1a. Jeremy Shockey TE New York Giants DUI
1b. Phillip Buchanon CB Oakland DUI
1c. Ed Reed S Baltimore
1d. Mike Rumph CB San Francisco DUI
2. Clinton Portis RB Denver

1. Andre Johnson WR Houston
1a. Jerome McDougle DE Philadelphia Resisting Arrest
1b. Willis McGahee RB Buffalo
1c. William Joseph DT New York Giants
3. Andrew Williams DE San Francisco

1. Sean Taylor S Washington DUI, Assault
1a. Kellen Winslow TE Cleveland Disereguarding Safety
1b. Jonathan Vilma MLB New York Jets
1c. DJ Williams OLB Denver DUI
1d. Vernon Carey T Miami
1e. Vince Wilfork DT New England

1. Antrell Rolle CB Arizona Battery
2. Roscoe Parrish WR Buffalo
3. Kevin Everett TE Buffalo
3a. Frank Gore RB San Francisco

When I began typing this I had no idea how many UMiami guys do have a record a lot od misdemeanors but a record all the same. You Make the Call.

Dozerdog
11-25-2005, 09:49 AM
Miami relies more on athleticism than intelligence and discipline in their program. Many programs that don't have strict head coaches (Penn St, ND) or stringent academic programs have the same issues. Nebraska for instance- Lawrence Phillips comes to mind.

OpIv37
11-25-2005, 09:50 AM
It's more than just this stuff. Guys like Ray Lewis and McGahee as well as most of those guys on the list all have attitude problems. They're recruited, paid and pampered to go there, and they have no discipline because once there, they can get away with almost anything as long as they play football. So these guys come out of there thinking they're above team rules, NFL rules and the law.

There is something seriously wrong with the way they treat and develop players down there. The skill level is amazing, but they lack the mental capacity and life skills to deal with the real world (even in the limited exposure that pro athletes have with the real world).

RedEyE
11-25-2005, 10:02 AM
It makes you wonder how much gets covered up or buried in Miami.

RedEyE
11-25-2005, 10:05 AM
And I agree with Op. It's more than just having a criminal record. These guys come into the league with serious discipline issues. While I agree that their level of performance is difficult to match, who the f cares when they won't stop telling you about it.

The King
11-25-2005, 10:07 AM
I dont know, when I think of all the trouble that has come out of Miami I always go back to thinking about Jarett Payton. How much of a stand-up kid he is. And Jonathan Vilma too he is a leader and he has a head on his shoulders. When I was doing my research for this thread, I found out when DJ Williams got nailed with the DUI Vilma refused to talk with him.

I think its more the players that attend then the school actually breeding troubled players.

OpIv37
11-25-2005, 10:17 AM
I dont know, when I think of all the trouble that has come out of Miami I always go back to thinking about Jarett Payton. How much of a stand-up kid he is. And Jonathan Vilma too he is a leader and he has a head on his shoulders. When I was doing my research for this thread, I found out when DJ Williams got nailed with the DUI Vilma refused to talk with him.

I think its more the players that attend then the school actually breeding troubled players.

but doesn't it tell you something when the institution is willing to accept these guys when others aren't? What other school has such a high percentage of their drafted players get into trouble?

Even if you're right and it has to do with the players that attend, it means Miami either a) isn't as good a judge of character as other schools, or b) is willing to put up with bull**** in exchange for football skill whereas other schools aren't.

I don't know for sure, but I see schools like Notre Dame, Penn State, Michigan, USC that are consistently successful in football, but you rarely if ever hear about their guys getting arrested, creating contract disputes, etc- and I tend to think that the guys on your list above don't get invited to come play at those schools.

DMBcrew36
11-25-2005, 06:26 PM
how can you ask if the U is as bad as WE think, if WE don't even think Miami is bad in the first place.

OpIv37
11-25-2005, 07:09 PM
how can you ask if the U is as bad as WE think, if WE don't even think Miami is bad in the first place.

if you look at that list of troublemakers from the U that only covers drafted NFL players from the last 4 years and don't think it's a sign of a problem, you need to open your eyes.

pintonick96
11-25-2005, 07:31 PM
Don't forget in the future abotu Willie Williams. The OLB who went to jail while in high school for burglary. He's now their starting linebacker.

DMBcrew36
11-26-2005, 12:37 AM
if you look at that list of troublemakers from the U that only covers drafted NFL players from the last 4 years and don't think it's a sign of a problem, you need to open your eyes.

I guess. They're still great athletes though.

OpIv37
11-26-2005, 12:40 AM
I guess. They're still great athletes though.
so is TO but I'd rather hit my big toe with a hammer at full force than see him on the Bills.

the U sold it's integrity for athleticism. Give me ND- they have standards.