PDA

View Full Version : why am I seeing the word "playoffs" so many times?

OpIv37
11-25-2005, 11:00 AM
Ok, so it's not that many times, but with this team even once is too many.

1. While it is "technically" possible for us to make the playoffs, it should be obvious to anyone who's been watching this team that the players and coaches simply aren't good enough.
2. This team has no heart. They don't deserve to make the playoffs. If we do make it, someone like Cincinatti, Pittsburgh or San Diego will just destroy us in the wild card round.
3. This team has MAJOR problems. The GM, Coach, DL, and OL all need MAJOR upgrades. If we make the playoffs, nothing will change and we're going to start next year just like we started this year and last year- several games below .500.

Forward_Lateral
11-25-2005, 11:03 AM
OPI, you are the new Wys.

OpIv37
11-25-2005, 11:07 AM

tell me one thing I said that isn't true. Show me where I manipulated stats. You do those two things, then go ahead and call me Wys. Until then, I'm a realist and anyone who thinks the Bills will be in the playoffs is a hopeless optimist setting themselves up for disappointment.

G. Host
11-25-2005, 11:29 AM
If the "Wades" on the board want to say playoffs are impossible, let them.

If they think cheering for Bills to lose final 6 games will ensure MM & TD are gone, let them. I think they will be whining all offseason for neither will be let go.

I will hope week to week that the Bills improve and learn for next year and if they make the playoffs, even better for the players will get playoff experience.

Maybe continuing to say "playoffs" will help fans get used to again since we have not been there for a while.

OpIv37
11-25-2005, 11:31 AM

and btw- aren't you the guy that wrote this:
http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2005/10/29/mediocrity_accepted_only_by_buffalo_bills_fans.php

Forward_Lateral
11-25-2005, 11:33 AM
and btw- aren't you the guy that wrote this:
http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2005/10/29/mediocrity_accepted_only_by_buffalo_bills_fans.php

:up: Yes. And I never said that you being the new Wys was a BAD thing, I was just saying it.

OpIv37
11-25-2005, 11:33 AM
If the "Wades" on the board want to say playoffs are impossible, let them.
If they think cheering for Bills to lose final 6 games will ensure MM & TD are gone, let them. I think they will be whining all offseason for neither will be let go.
I will hope week to week that the Bills improve and learn for next year and if they make the playoffs, even better for the players will get playoff experience.
Maybe continuing to say "playoffs" will help fans get used to again since we have not been there for a while.

Losing the remaining games won't guarantee that MM and TD go, but making the playoffs WILL guarantee that they stay. And at this point I think it's obvious that they should both be fired.

I won't be cheering for the Bills to lose- I can't do that, but there's no way we're going to win regardless of what I do. And don't forget that we're two games behind NE- if we win out and they win out (except for a loss to us), they make it and we don't.

Novacane
11-25-2005, 12:17 PM
being realistic does not mean someone is "wys"

bills&sabresmvf
11-25-2005, 04:37 PM
He's right...but seriously football is entertainment, it's fun to have a optamistic outlook on your team. But honostly, this team, like OPIV said has no heart and I'm scared that if we do make the playoffs, next year is going to be the exact same team/coaches. But we'll wait and see.

BAM
11-25-2005, 06:07 PM
But IF they do turn it around, win the division and get into the playoffs, that has to mean that some heart and talent has been utilized, doesn't it? I don't get the "I'd rather not make it to the playoffs this year because the same team and coaches will be here next year.. boo hoo" argument. It makes no sense but whatever!

OpIv37
11-25-2005, 06:15 PM
But IF they do turn it around, win the division and get into the playoffs, that has to mean that some heart and talent has been utilized, doesn't it? I don't get the "I'd rather not make it to the playoffs this year because the same team and coaches will be here next year.. boo hoo" argument. It makes no sense but whatever!

it makes perfect sense. Look, we've had 4 years of Donahoe and we've about seen what this guy can do- not much. Mularkey- well we've had two virtually identical years with him, and his playing calling actually seems to have gotten WORSE this year. If the team makes the playoffs- well I agree it means they have some heart- at least enough to dig themselves out of this hole- but I also think it's a fluke, like last year's Jets.

I truly believe that this team is on the wrong path and Donahoe is incapable of putting us on the right path. It sucks to think about it this way, but if I had to choose between

a) sacrificing the end of this season to start on the right path next season, and
b) making it to the playoffs this year, losing early, and dealing with another 2-3 years of mediocrity under TD and Mularkey before we get on the right path

I'd choose A every time.

BAM
11-25-2005, 06:19 PM
And you are entitled to your opinion. I'd take the first part of B any day of the week. Losing early is not a given.

We were on the right path towards the end of last year, and if things turn around yet again this season, then that means we just need to work on our play right out of the gate.

OpIv37
11-25-2005, 06:27 PM
And you are entitled to your opinion. I'd take the first part of B any day of the week. Losing early is not a given.

We were on the right path towards the end of last year, and if things turn around yet again this season, then that means we just need to work on our play right out of the gate.

we WERE on the right path. Then Williams left, Spikes got injured, Milloy and Vincent got old, Nate got greedy, Adams got an attitude problem, our coaches jumped the JP bandwagon too early (which cost us early wins but shouldn't repeat next year), our coaches forgot how to call plays, and somehow we went the entire offseason without anyone realizing how pathetic our O line is.

You say "work on our play right out of the gate" like it's a simple thing. There were a whole lot of things that went wrong with those early losses- it's not like it's one thing that needs to be fixed, like upgrading a position or modifying a scheme slightly. That's why I think we're on the wrong path.

BAM
11-25-2005, 06:31 PM
And If we could overcome those injuries and all the poor play and somehow make the playoffs this year, I'd be first in line to bow down to our coaches and Tom Donahoe. Call me crazy, but I'd rather make it than give up only 2 games out of first place... with a game remaining against said divisional leader in a couple weeks.

OpIv37
11-25-2005, 07:05 PM
And If we could overcome those injuries and all the poor play and somehow make the playoffs this year, I'd be first in line to bow down to our coaches and Tom Donahoe. Call me crazy, but I'd rather make it than give up only 2 games out of first place... with a game remaining against said divisional leader in a couple weeks.

Mularkey, maybe. If we make it though, it will be in SPITE of Donahoe, not because of him. I'm convinced that the man does not have what it takes to manage a pro football team and nothing short of a Super Bowl win will change my mind.

Meathead
11-26-2005, 04:06 AM
wys lite

always go for the playoffs

always

G. Host
11-26-2005, 09:14 AM
Well Donahoe will be here next year, playoffs or no playoffs.
I also think MM will be here as well because the Bills did not anticipate so many injuries so early.

Best you can hope for is assistant coaches being replaced unless you are hoping Ralph will die and a new owner will come in with a clean broom and replace everyone and take a chance that Bills will not move.

Superbowl or bust is pretty big standards.

RedEyE
11-26-2005, 09:35 AM
If we went 5-1 the rest of theseason then the Bills well deserve to go to the playoffs.

The odds of this happening are slim.

The remaining schedule is a difficult one and the Bills have yet to win on the road. Wins that are highly probable, in order:

Jets (The only sure win on our schedule)
Miami (Miami is pulling together and starting to play as a team. The Bills should win, but nothing guaranteed here)
New England (The Bills were the better team in the last matchup and came up empty.)

Games that will take more than the usual effort:

Carolina (Great defense and an offense that needs work)

Games that will be near impossible for this team to beat:

Denver (Went into Dallas and did some nasty team. This team is looking like a team of destiny this year. A home game for us doesn't mean much to a Denver team that sees similar conditions.)
Cincy (Well rounded team that still hasn't come into it's own. A game in Cincy late in the season, with playoffs on the line for them means almost certain doom for the Bills.)