PDA

View Full Version : A few BIG moves could make the difference

X-Era
11-26-2005, 05:54 PM
Consider this:

Cutting Moulds prior to June 1 saves us 5.2 mill (thanks Clump). That one move sends a message to the overpaid vets on this squad that the future QB is Losman. It also adds the cap cash to spend some. Rather than endlessly parade has-beens through here and often overpay, why not make a splash and get some young talented players and yes pay top dollar for them.

Take the money saved on the Moulds cut and spend it on Reggie Wayne. He has more yards than Harrison in 04-05. He is a young guy with decent but not great speed but certainly makes plays. Many would argue that losing Moulds means losing our most experienced and proven WR. I agree but would argue that we can get a guy on the right side of 30 for the same money. Plax Burress signed for 6yrs. 25mil. Included 8.25SB and 11.38 in guaranteed money in the first 2 years. Thats roughly 5.6m per, thats what we get back for cutting Moulds. Basically your trading a older declining player for a younger guy with big upside still. We need to solidify the WR corp through FA if Moulds walks, Wayne is the best out there and can be had at this price.

Cutting Mike Williams after June 1 saves 7.6m (again thanks Clump). This money can be spent in part on Steve Hutchinson or LeCharles Bentley and we have a proven young stud o-lineman for a washed up always injured bust. 7.6 just might pay for BOTH or at least one plus a younger DT with upside like Damione Lewis, Ryan Pickett, or Larry Tripplett. Its another move that makes tons of sense where we convert lost play and money into proven young talent.

Finally (thanks finally to clumpy), we would save about 5.4 mill more by cutting Milloy, Posey, and Bennie Anderson (not needed with above signing). That would pay for Adam Archuleta, yet another young talented proven player. It probably makes up for any gap in the signings of Reggie Wayne and Steve or LeCharles.

So, we cut Moulds, Milloy, Posey, and Anderson right out of the gate.

Then Mike after June 1

With the cap cash sign:

Steve Hutchinson or LeCharles Bentley, Reggie Wayne, Damione Lewis/Ryan Pickett/Larry Tripplett and Adam Archuleta

That leaves starting SLB up for grabs.

Give Crowell a shot but draft a day one potential starter like Ahmad Brooks, AJ Nicholson, or AJ Hawk.

Now, I am leaning towards voting for a resign of Clements. I think TD is as well based on his recent comments. So, whatever cap room we would have had without any cuts needs to go solely to him. If we could manage to franchise and then trade him for a younger guy with upside but who is unproven I say do it, maybe even with another draft pick headed our way.

I just hope TD sees what we all see and makes big waves rather than the status quo which has gotten us perpetual mediocrity at this point.

ShadowHawk7
11-26-2005, 06:03 PM
Most of that sounds good to me.

gr8slayer
11-26-2005, 06:10 PM
It all sounds good but I doubt we can attract all those FA's. Nobody wants to play for a loser.

X-Era
11-26-2005, 06:19 PM
It all sounds good but I doubt we can attract all those FA's. Nobody wants to play for a loser.

Really? Jonas Jennings sure did as did Joe Andruzzi and Cosey Coleman, Kurt Warner, Plaxico Burress

Hmmm, not sure that math works. I think money talks.

jpdex12
11-26-2005, 06:39 PM
Interesting thoughts except Archuleta sucks!

X-Era
11-26-2005, 06:42 PM
Interesting thoughts except Archuleta sucks!

OK, opinions are great, they are even better with some data to substantiate them.

Lexwhat
11-26-2005, 08:14 PM
OK, opinions are great, they are even better with some data to substantiate them.

JP-era, I like most of what you said as well.

However, I was thinking that we shouldn't cut Moulds unless we have a capable replacement. If we can find that capable replacement, I'm all for getting rid of Moulds. However, I'm not sure if Reggie Wanye is that person.

Here are my reservations about Reggie Wayne:

- Can he get any better than he is now? I guess he could, but he has Peyton Manning throwing to him.

-In their offense, he also benefits from all the attention that Stokley, Harrison, and Edgerrin James receive. Anyways, that's obvious. But does Wayne EVER get double-covered? I would doubt it. If he came to Buffalo, I could see him getting double-covered often to completely shut down our already-mediocore passing game.

- If he came here, I don't know if we would have a clear-cut #1 receiver. Wayne and Evans might both be both #2s. (Another Peerless Price type-story?)

IMO, based on the WRs available this off-season, the formula I would use is to look for the best WR on a bad team instead of one on the best team. Someone will overpay for Reggie Wayne. He seems to be the biggest name available.

- Both Brandon Lloyd and Arnaz Battle seem to be up and coming players for the 49ers (both are FAs after this season). I would love to get Lloyd, but I highly doubt the 49ers wouldn't re-sign him to an extension before the hits the open market. My final verdict? Look for a WR in the draft (2nd or 3rd round, DEPENDING on who is available).

Crisis
11-26-2005, 08:32 PM
Brandon Lloyd is Chris Chambers clone...Makes all the hard grabs but drops most of the easy ones.

I wouldn't mind Battle, granted I haven't seen a lot of him.

I agree that Wayne will be vastly overpaid to be a #1.

I don't like Archuleta, he's one of the most overrated players in the league. He reminds me of Coy Wire, actually, HORRIBLE in coverage but can stop the run like an extra LB.

mybills
11-26-2005, 08:40 PM
I was thinking that we shouldn't cut Moulds unless we have a capable replacement.
Ditto. Good luck, TD.

TacklingDummy
11-26-2005, 08:43 PM
Cut Moulds, sign TO.

Lexwhat
11-26-2005, 09:14 PM
Cut Moulds, sign TO.

The ONLY way I would consider signing TO is giving him a 1 or 2 year contract, with a bonus in the contract due after the 1st year if its a 2 year contract.

That way, we could satisfy our desire to "win now." If he's a pain, he would be fairly easy to cut.

IMO, a 1 or 2 year contract minimizes our risk and leaves the responsiblity up to Owens to perform his best and keep his mouth shut.

However, I highly doubt this scenario would ever play out. I believe some team will give him a longer contract that can handle him (Dallas, San Diego, NY Giants, Chicago, Miami, Denver). All those teams, except Miami, would become legitimate contenders if they had TO on their team.

TO could never be a long-term answer for us. Mike Mularkey? Not the right type of coach.

To digress, San Diego and/or the NY Giants could offer a 1st rounder for Nate, and then sign TO. Or else, Chicago could just sign TO. Any of those 3 teams would be SCARY.

sjoyce
11-26-2005, 10:00 PM
I agree with cutting Moulds even though he is experienced hes got some age! It might take some time to develope some young players but they are gonna be around longer and most likely better shape! We already have a good start like Losman who I believe really could be a good QB and Willis McGahee does have a questionable knee BUT is still a very productive back and if the knee holds up could be a big assest for a long time! This years Bills team has so much talent I really wish they were playing to their potential they despite record I believe have the best team in the AFC East if we can get our QB woes under control we will be a very good and dangerous team!

Billsrock4life
11-26-2005, 10:14 PM
sounds good but i think they should give coy wire a shot next year he didn't do all that bad his rookie year but they havnt started him since the only bad thing is he is not the best coverage wise but he is exellent in run support

Captain Obvious
11-26-2005, 10:22 PM
In a recent SI article, an anonymous St. Louis Ram said of Damione Lewis and Ryan Pickett, "Their lazy and they don't work hard. There the reason were getting killed on defense". Or something to that effect. If Haloti Ngata is available when the bills pick in the 1st Round, TD should pick him, no ifs or buts. Knowing TD though, who knows what positions he'll pick and in what round.

Lexwhat
11-26-2005, 10:43 PM
Coy Wire?? The only way I could see him on the field on Defense is if hes a linebacker in a 3-4 defense. He is and always will be a major liability at Safety. He even played some time this year at that position and got burned. As far as the Bills go, he'll always be a special-teamer.

As far as Adam Archuleta goes, I dont watch much NFC so I dont know much about him. Another Strong Safety free agent after this season is Tank Williams of the Titans. Does anyone know anything about him? I dont usually like to go strictly off of stats, so I'm wondering if anyone knows how he plays.

If hes good, should we go after him? Or is Tennessee going to re-sign him anyways before he hits the open market?

Lexwhat
11-26-2005, 10:45 PM
sounds good but i think they should give coy wire a shot next year he didn't do all that bad his rookie year but they havnt started him since the only bad thing is he is not the best coverage wise but he is exellent in run support

The ONLY bad thing?? Sorry, but that's not a small thing.

Coy Wire can't handle it.

ZacGriffi~82
11-26-2005, 11:02 PM
Adam Archuleta

Stopped reading there...

Meathead
11-26-2005, 11:46 PM
Nobody wants to play for a loser.
loser?

lmao

the bills are one of the most storied and respected organizations in the league

you are focusing WAAAAAAY too much on the negative to believe free agents wouldn't love the chance to play here

Kerr
11-27-2005, 02:07 AM
If we're going to draft a receiver, I like the possiblity of drafting chad jackson out of florida.

HHURRICANE
11-27-2005, 08:16 AM
Uhhh, Coy Wire sucks. This is an excellent thread. We have to cut Moulds. I'm not sure Wayne is the answer. Sounds like Peerless Price going to Atlanta.

X-Era
11-27-2005, 10:53 AM
JP-era, I like most of what you said as well.

However, I was thinking that we shouldn't cut Moulds unless we have a capable replacement. If we can find that capable replacement, I'm all for getting rid of Moulds. However, I'm not sure if Reggie Wanye is that person.

Here are my reservations about Reggie Wayne:

- Can he get any better than he is now? I guess he could, but he has Peyton Manning throwing to him.

-In their offense, he also benefits from all the attention that Stokley, Harrison, and Edgerrin James receive. Anyways, that's obvious. But does Wayne EVER get double-covered? I would doubt it. If he came to Buffalo, I could see him getting double-covered often to completely shut down our already-mediocore passing game.

- If he came here, I don't know if we would have a clear-cut #1 receiver. Wayne and Evans might both be both #2s. (Another Peerless Price type-story?)

IMO, based on the WRs available this off-season, the formula I would use is to look for the best WR on a bad team instead of one on the best team. Someone will overpay for Reggie Wayne. He seems to be the biggest name available.

- Both Brandon Lloyd and Arnaz Battle seem to be up and coming players for the 49ers (both are FAs after this season). I would love to get Lloyd, but I highly doubt the 49ers wouldn't re-sign him to an extension before the hits the open market. My final verdict? Look for a WR in the draft (2nd or 3rd round, DEPENDING on who is available).

So I agree and disagree. You say that we need a viable replacement to Moulds but then poo poo several guys who might be that in favor of a draft pick? That seems illogical. What I suggested is a guy who is a well proven commodity. Yes, Indy has the best offense ever assembled. But Reggie Wayne still got open, got all those yards and those TD's, in fact he did more last year than Harrison. Would he do the same here? probably not, but does he need to? I say NO. I only want a guy who is someone that is proven to be able to play and that demands defensive attention. Im not sure a rookie would do that. Trust me I love the version of getting a guy like Derek Haggan or Greg Lee, but that seems to fit best when you already have a stud WR, Evans is still young. He should be our #1, but we should also solidify this spotr with a young vet.

X-Era
11-27-2005, 11:15 AM
In a recent SI article, an anonymous St. Louis Ram said of Damione Lewis and Ryan Pickett, "Their lazy and they don't work hard. There the reason were getting killed on defense". Or something to that effect. If Haloti Ngata is available when the bills pick in the 1st Round, TD should pick him, no ifs or buts. Knowing TD though, who knows what positions he'll pick and in what round.

Trust me, I absolutely think we should get a DT early and would love one in round one.

However, TD has proven to be like many many GM's these days, they go for skill players or the best athletes first. TD passed up William Joseph for McGahee when we already had Henry.

My personal feeling is that although we need a DT, we also have other needs. I with our pick we should think about the following first:

1) Who are the impact players available. What do I mean? Well every year there are players who at there positions are SO much better than the rest and are one of the best in the past few years. They arent just the best that year, they are some of the best in a long time. With a 1st rounder costing so much, Id rather add a guy like this at a marginal need than a top rated but not that much better guy at a absolutel need. It would seem to be better value. McGahee is an example and earned us a extra 3rd rounder. Both DT and OT seem to be deep and none really look to be the next Orlando Pace. I like us waiting later in day one. CB (depends on Clements), S, WR, are other needs but all are fairly weak in this years draft, by weak I mean none are huge prospect day one game changers.

2) I doi feel that there are a few positions of marginal need that have some day one studs likely to be there at our projected 10-17 pick position. TE is one of them. There looks to be 2 guys who afre BETTER than Kellen Winslow without the baggage. Marcedes Lewis and Vernon Davis if he declares. Both these guys will probably become top 5 players at TE, and both a field stretching, defense demanding, TD machines. Either would give us the underneath route, that can pay HUGE dividends and keep a D honest. Both are so far above the rest and SO much better than Heath Miller, and yes Jason Witten IMO. Guys like this dont come along often, Everett may be good but he doesnt have even close to the talent that these guys do. Campbell is average. This could be a big time score for us if we grab one of them. Yes there are bigger needs but im not sure there is better value.

3) LB is another spot that looks to have a few studs available at our spot. There are many to choose from. AJ Hawk, Ahmad Brooks (if he declares), D'Qwell Jackson, Chad Greenway (not that fond of him), even some guys in round 2 or beyond like Spencer Havner, Abdul Hodge, AJ Nicholson. Many of these guys probablyh become stars. Any would most likely be an upgrade at LB, who knows how you juggle thje positions or whether you let a guy like Fletcher go or Posey, but some of these guys look to be better than either and may fix a problem against the run day one.

My point is we should get an impact player who can be a dominant stud as early as possible. It may not fit that that player is also at a huge need position, but we are better off NOW and later by getting the best value its just my honest opinion and to me a smarter way to draft.

As far as comments about Damione and Ryan. Both are proven to be pretty damn good. I respect your opinion about Ngata, I like him too. However, you can ALWAYS find a critic of every single player in this league to try to justify drafting a guy you like. Lewis, Pickett and maybe Tripplett all look to be great cheaper, young, big playmaking pickups who would fit in great next to our #1 DT Sam ADAMS. Any could grow into our #1 in a few years, and at that point we could be starting our DRAFT PICK from this year next to that player. Im saying do BOTH. In a wave rotation at DT, why not start making big upgrades, status quo cost us PLENTY this year. I just might spend our #1 on another position.

losman2evans
11-27-2005, 11:24 AM
I would like a big dominant wide receiver- rather than Reggie Wayne

ala Larry Fitzgerald, TO. Mike Williams (Detroit).

Moulds fits the mold, but the years have past him by a bit- I like him but not at his current salary