PDA

View Full Version : Is McGahee worth a top dollar extension?

BillsFever21
11-27-2005, 08:06 PM
Who here feels McGahee is worth the 15-20 million dollar bonus and 70+ million dollar contract he is gonna want? The type of contract Portis received.

I don't think he is. I say have him play out his contract the next two years and unless he improves to that elite status trade him.

He's a Top 10 or so RB but he isn't worth Top 3 money he will try and get. No way we should overpay for a RB. They are too easy to replace. Unless he wants a fair contract let him walk.

I know some will vote with their homerism but lets get the realistic ones to vote.

ajsdx
11-27-2005, 08:11 PM
He hasn't really done anything that any other back in the NFL couldn't have done. Grind out a few yards, stiff arm a couple guys, and generally be inconsistent.

BillsFever21
11-27-2005, 08:14 PM
His longest run this year is only 27 yards. Elite RB's who will want the kind of money he will makes more plays then that.

BillsFever21
11-27-2005, 08:16 PM
After last year he looked like he could reach elite status. But after this year when we have faced real teams and not a bunch of teams running for the bus it's played out more evenly.

He looks like a good back but he isn't great. He doesn't have that speed and elusiveness he had in college.

The_Philster
11-27-2005, 08:20 PM
Hard to say...I wouldn't give him it right now based on his production. If he looked like the best back in the league with an average O-line, I'd say yes. He's got one of the worst O-lines blocking for him right now and he's shown spurts where he's been very good. But who knows if he would be a great one with an average O-line? :idunno:

BillsFever21
11-27-2005, 08:22 PM
Hard to say...I wouldn't give him it right now based on his production. If he looked like the best back in the league with an average O-line, I'd say yes. He's got one of the worst O-lines blocking for him right now and he's shown spurts where he's been very good. But who knows if he would be a great one with an average O-line? :idunno:

The pass blocking is one of the worst in the league but we have a decent run blocking line. They are at least average.

The worst run blocking line in the league doesn't produce a 1,200+ yard back 4 years in a row.

The_Philster
11-27-2005, 08:24 PM
we don't have the same line that produced a 1200 yard back 4 years in a row...there've been numerous changes across the O-line

BillsFever21
11-27-2005, 08:27 PM
we don't have the same line that produced a 1200 yard back 4 years in a row...there've been numerous changes across the O-line

Yes, there have been changes but we will have another 1,200+ RB again this year.

The_Philster
11-27-2005, 08:28 PM
Yes, there have been changes but we will have another 1,200+ RB again this year.probably..but to be honest, is 1200 yards that much of a feat anymore?

ParanoidAndroid
11-27-2005, 08:30 PM
Right now, he's not doing anything that TH didn't. The only difference is he has more upside. Until he SHOWS that he is an elite RB, we should do nothing special to keep him here.
If he can regain that breakaway speed he had when he was at the U, then he has a shot at greatness.

BillsFever21
11-27-2005, 08:32 PM
probably..but to be honest, is 1200 yards that much of a feat anymore?

The elite backs get 1,600+ yards and double digit TD's year after year. The middle of the pack RB's get around 1,200. That's about where Willis will be.

He has been great against bad defenses(who wouldn't though) but hasn't shown up vs. the top notch teams.

frank74
11-27-2005, 08:37 PM
no way is he worth the money. he's played like antowain smith so far and hasn't broken one yet. he's also not as fast as people think, so what good is he really?

Mr. Cynical
11-27-2005, 08:39 PM

agreed

Crisis
11-27-2005, 08:52 PM
Willis has no speed anymore. He isn't the "home run" back that everyone touted him to be.

Someone hit it dead on, he's just a Travis Henry that doesn't fumble as much.

jpdex12
11-27-2005, 08:54 PM
So with all of this discussion being said, do we draft another RB in the draft this year for protection just as we did for TH? I don't want to have to worry about that, but it might not be a bad idea if a good prospect is available aka...Maroney or someone similar. Look at how we passed on Simon and now we're hurting for a stud DT.

BillsFever21
11-27-2005, 08:59 PM
So with all of this discussion being said, do we draft another RB in the draft this year for protection just as we did for TH? I don't want to have to worry about that, but it might not be a bad idea if a good prospect is available aka...Maroney or someone similar. Look at how we passed on Simon and now we're hurting for a stud DT.

I'd say if there's good value on one in the 3rd+ round then we take him even if it's just to relieve Willis.

The learning curve for RB's are short. They can step in as rookies and produce. There isn't any time needed for them to get adjusted to the game.

Good RB's can be had all the time. Elite ones are hard to find but your average back who can produce are all over the place. It wouldn't be needed till 2007 if need be.

DynaPaul
11-27-2005, 09:14 PM
I'd say yes but not for a top 5 RB extension. He could do more with an o-line that actually opens holes plus we really don't have an alternative at this point.

Devin
11-27-2005, 09:19 PM
Willis has no speed anymore. He isn't the "home run" back that everyone touted him to be.

Someone hit it dead on, he's just a Travis Henry that doesn't fumble as much.

:rofl:

Hardly.

Willis is 10X stronger and sure handed, I dont know about speed but either way hes a significant upgrade over Henry. Im willing to give some lee-way for our horrendous line, top back? Not a chance. Top 5 back......hes up there.

OpIv37
11-27-2005, 09:24 PM
at this point he's not worth any additional money. He talks **** and doesn't put up on the field. Granted, the coaches and O line are holding him back. But right now he's middle of the pack.

BillsFever21
11-27-2005, 09:42 PM
I'd give him about a 10 million dollar bonus over 6 years. Total contract of about 32 million.

That's about his value at his point. If he doesn't want it then we keep him for a year or two and when we find a replacement we trade him for a draft pick.

Have his salary roughly at 2, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 for the yearly salaries with guranteed money of 17 million over 3 years.

djjimkelly
11-27-2005, 09:45 PM
mcgahee is a top 5 back so he is worth it however he plays behind maybe the 29th o line in league so we will never know!

L.A. Playa
11-27-2005, 09:46 PM
the only RB's worth top money right now are those with 10+ TDS this season, Willis is no where near that area

BillsFever21
11-27-2005, 09:53 PM
Top 5 backs can break off more then a 27 yard run no matter what the line is like.

Some act like there have never been a hole for him to run through. He's had some monster holes at times. I don't know what you guys have seen for 11 weeks.

I've seen guys like Holmes and Alexander bust one off to the house on the same type of plays. I have yet to see Willis do that. He gets tackled after 10-15 yards instead.

It's the RB's job to beat the DB's for the big runs to break one for the house. The OL can't block everybody. Willis hasn't been able to get past Stage 2 of the LB's. When he has he's been tackled by the DB's in Stage 3. After them it's clear sailing with enough speed.

The elie RB's find a way to do this and Willis hasn't been able yet. It's a little of instincts, elusiveness, speed and power. Willis hasn't been elusiveness or fast enough to do this.

The Outsider
11-27-2005, 11:39 PM
The Outsider thinks its time to cut "I'm the best RB in the league" and get a guy like Reggie Bush who can break games wide open.

What you see is what you get with McSaghee...he's an average back at best and no better than a travis henry, antwain smith, or thurmal thomas in his later years...This team has lacked a true threat out of the backfield that can break 40-50 yard bursts with a single carry.

Kerr
11-28-2005, 01:05 AM
The Outsider thinks its time to cut "I'm the best RB in the league" and get a guy like Reggie Bush who can break games wide open.

What you see is what you get with McSaghee...he's an average back at best and no better than a travis henry, antwain smith, or thurmal thomas in his later years...This team has lacked a true threat out of the backfield that can break 40-50 yard bursts with a single carry.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'd swap Mcgahee for Bush.

jamze132
11-28-2005, 01:06 AM
Doesn't anyone find it odd that every time Willis breaks one it gets called back for holding? Maybe if he has a somewhat decent O-line and a couple of receivers that can block, he would be a little better on paper.

alohabillsfan
11-28-2005, 05:26 AM
If he was then the Evil Drew R would have made at least a preliminary ruckus! He just has not perfromed for it line or no line production equals dollars!

Bill Brasky
11-28-2005, 06:22 AM
where is the 'no f'n way' option?

RedEyE
11-28-2005, 08:54 AM
With a better interior line McGahee's numbers will go up. On nearly every play he has to bounce to the outside to make something happen (except the game against the Pats).

Opposing defenses are loading the box and keeping it simple. They know the way to beat the Bills is to stop the run. Its no suprise that the Bills can't beat anybody in the air, becasue the Bills pass blocking line is pourous.

A couple of interior lineman can help resolve some of these issues. McGahee's #s will go up as soon as the pass becomes more of a threat. And before we for we go out and waste picks on RBs, why not give Lionel Gates a chance? He was a good draft pick within a thick draft of RBs last year. I liked what I saw from him in preseason.

Philagape
11-28-2005, 09:49 AM
He has to show me more before I'd agree to it.
Right now, Willis runs as if he's entirely dependent on the line. Very rarely does he make something happen on his own. If nothing's there, he usually gives up instead of changing directions and looking elsewhere. Very little second effort. Few broken tackles. When a defender makes contact, Willis' legs stop moving and he just falls forward. And it's been a while since I've seen the wicked stiff-arm.

HAMMER
11-28-2005, 04:39 PM
Why are we talking about an extension?

frank74
11-28-2005, 05:12 PM
there is no need to draft another top dollar rb. it's time to draft an o-line period. rb's are a dime a dozen when you have the right personnel up front. look at ron dayne. he hasn't caried for more than 100 yards in a game in years. but, he plays for denver now. mcgahee could be a good back if he had an o-line. drafting a rb would be another wasted pick. and, as far as mcgahee being a significant upgrade from travis henry, i can't agree with that yet. henry's line was better, but not good. he carried for 1400 yards in two consecutive seasons. at this point mcgahee has not proved himself better, because he hasn't made anything happen. barry sanders had an awful line for his entire career and made things happen. the point is, when is he going to make something happen? where's the breakaway speed? back to the issue: we don't need anymore rbs, we need trench diggers.

X-Era
11-28-2005, 05:45 PM
Who here feels McGahee is worth the 15-20 million dollar bonus and 70+ million dollar contract he is gonna want? The type of contract Portis received.

I don't think he is. I say have him play out his contract the next two years and unless he improves to that elite status trade him.

He's a Top 10 or so RB but he isn't worth Top 3 money he will try and get. No way we should overpay for a RB. They are too easy to replace. Unless he wants a fair contract let him walk.

I know some will vote with their homerism but lets get the realistic ones to vote.

If he demands it, pay him. The last thing we can afford is to head in the WRONG direction at that position too.

Of course if Reggie Bush can somehow be had, dont pay him and trade him.